TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 PM   #31
dandrewk

After watching the documentary this evening, it raised a very scary question for me:

Did Pedro REALLY win?
dandrewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:02 PM   #32
cditty

I sent an email to all of our local news stations asking them to take a look at this. Not surprising, no responses.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #33
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist
Not true! There are many indicators as to how an election will go: pre-election polling, exit polling, etc. These are independant checks and balances. If a result is wildly different than the anticipated outcome based on polling, then you want to be able to go back and have a physical paper trail to count.
You are falsly assuming that people will tell the truth when they are polled. Not to mention, what kind of mood would you be in if you waited in line for an hour to vote and then got hijacked by some yutz with a clipboard wanting you to basically vote all over again for some poll? IF I hung around for the pollster, I would lie my ass off just for the hell of it. I do it all the time when someone calls me with telephone surveys.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:02 PM   #34
ihatecable
Crazy Collies

Of course these things can be hacked especially when you give a memory card and ask someone to hack it. How about a novel thing such as having a team of certified public accountants at each polling site to verity the authenticity of the machines and cards.

What I find much scarier is that no one requires photo Id of voters in general (at least not in New York). Even scarier still is that people get all in an uproar claiming that asking for photo Id would disenfranchise voters.
ihatecable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:21 PM   #35
acvthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMidniteBombr
You are falsly assuming that people will tell the truth when they are polled. Not to mention, what kind of mood would you be in if you waited in line for an hour to vote and then got hijacked by some yutz with a clipboard wanting you to basically vote all over again for some poll? IF I hung around for the pollster, I would lie my ass off just for the hell of it. I do it all the time when someone calls me with telephone surveys.
There is no assumption of truth in statistics.

In a properly conducted poll, the results adjust for false data. This is well understand in the science of statistics.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:57 PM   #36
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree
There is no assumption of truth in statistics.

In a properly conducted poll, the results adjust for false data. This is well understand in the science of statistics.

Al
You actually think that will happen? You're fooling yourself.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #37
Howie
Out of Pocket

mama mia
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #38
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

oy gevalt!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #39
tiassa
Me --Avatar

A couple of points:
For those of you who haven't seen the HBO documentary, the way the Diebold machines were hacked was by pre-loading the Memory cards with "negative votes" for the candidate that they wanted to lose, ie instead of both candidates starting with 0 votes, Candidate A had 0 and Candidate B had -200. So B's first 200 votes don't count and without some kind of backup system it just looks like people didn't vote in that race (or didn't turn up to vote). This is a much easier and less detectable way to rig an election than trying to manipulate paper ballots. Note the results in the race HeySkippy mentioned.

Voters showing ID:
Massachusetts and several other states did "spot checks" of ID's several years ago, they checked the ID every nth or so voter to see if it was valid. Very little (ie almost no) instances of Voter Fraud were discovered. The current (mostly Republican led) push for Voter ID is a thinly disguised effort to disenfranchise inner city and poor voters (who tend to vote Democratic).

Rigged slot machines:
Google "Larry Volk and American Coin" for a story about someone who rigged slot machines. The relevance to this thread is that it shows slots are more able to be audited than Diebold voting machines.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #40
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I've seen it. Just reacting here to the sort of random post by sadsblebra on a thread that was last posted 7 years ago!!