TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
BabySeal

TiVo at Digital Life 2006 and WPA

So I talked to some tivo repsat this year's Digital Life expo and drooled over the series 3. Also I asked them about WPA Encryption and they informed that they would start supporting WPA in the next software update. Anyone know when the next big update would be?
BabySeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
classicsat
Astute User

There has been word of one in Novemer for the S3. Optomisitcally I'd say it is a general update for all S2/S3 DVRs.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
BabySeal

Cool! Thanks for the info.
BabySeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

TiVo Support says:
Quote:
When Will TiVo Support WPA Encryption for Wireless Adapters?

TiVo is aware that our customers want to be able to use WPA encryption. We are planning to initially support that capability on the TiVo Wireless G adapter with a future software release. Please continue to check tivo.com/support for updates.

gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
There has been word of one in Novemer for the S3. Optomisitcally I'd say it is a general update for all S2/S3 DVRs.

sorry- been away from tivo for a few years (had directivo's)- is it typical that the next software release is for all the models? I Was under the impression that the next release would just be a "catch up" release to get the new platform equal to the rest?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
sorry- been away from tivo for a few years (had directivo's)- is it typical that the next software release is for all the models? I Was under the impression that the next release would just be a "catch up" release to get the new platform equal to the rest?

TiVo has started scheduling quarterly updates. The new CEO has mandated the platform not get stagnant as it was about 2 years ago. So we all expect a end of year release for S2. nothing official has been said though other than the kind of things posted in this thread.

as for WPA - that will be a welcome addition for me but TiVo has had a history of struggling with LINUX wireless drivers, makes sense they would first put it out for the one adapter they completly control and can offload the work onto due to the chip design of the TiVo wireless adapter. It may well be that WPA on other adpaters would just be anotehr resource hog slowing things down. Just my speculation though
Old 10-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
MichaelK

interesting. Are the quarterly releases generally adding a bunch of features all the time (even if small)?

I'm used to directv sending an update every 2 years that I cant even imagine regular updates.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:37 PM   #8
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

well, like I said it is not an officially anounced pattern. just more what has been happening this year and is related to new features designed to market TiVo more easily.

KidZone has gotten a lot pf parent type groups to start pushing TiVo to their members as a way to directly block shows they do not think should be watched. I use kidzone on the TiVo in the play room and love it. It can still record any show we get, so the kids favorite shows I approve of can be watched on the TiVo but since I only allow channels like PBS or TLC or animal planet to be freely viewed and then only if the rating is a G or the like the kids have spent a LOT less time just vegging in front of the TV. I can also block all the religious channels and keep PAt robertson and the like from scarring my kids I can see why Parental groups are pushing it as an answer.

wondering what TiVo Inc.s' filings will be like this year.

Hopefully the end of year update is more about finalizing and tweaking these updates for performance. Adding in WPA would be a nice feature as well
Old 10-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #9
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
well, like I said it is not an officially anounced pattern. just more what has been happening this year and is related to new features designed to market TiVo more easily.

KidZone has gotten a lot pf parent type groups to start pushing TiVo to their members as a way to directly block shows they do not think should be watched. I use kidzone on the TiVo in the play room and love it. It can still record any show we get, so the kids favorite shows I approve of can be watched on the TiVo but since I only allow channels like PBS or TLC or animal planet to be freely viewed and then only if the rating is a G or the like the kids have spent a LOT less time just vegging in front of the TV. I can also block all the religious channels and keep PAt robertson and the like from scarring my kids I can see why Parental groups are pushing it as an answer.

wondering what TiVo Inc.s' filings will be like this year.

Hopefully the end of year update is more about finalizing and tweaking these updates for performance. Adding in WPA would be a nice feature as well
I too really like the kidzone. Cant wait till that finds it way to the s3 also.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #10
jonty

WPA update includes S2 and S2DT support

Just read a post on the Tivo support site (sorry, can't post URLs yet) that confirms WPA support with software version 8.1, for all S2, S2DT, and S3 units. Only works with the Tivo network adapter, though.
jonty is offline   Reply With Quote