TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
scottb4u

It's ALMOST February. Any word on E-SATA yet?

JEESH!

Is the e-sata port a dead issue. Like TTG?

Last edited by scottb4u : 01-31-2007 at 12:39 AM.
scottb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Yes, it is February.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb4u
Is the e-sata port a dead issue. Like TTG?

It's not February until Thursday Febrary 1,2007.

ajwees41

Last edited by ajwees41 : 01-30-2007 at 07:38 PM. Reason: wrong day
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41
It's not February until Wednesday Febrary 1,2007.

ajwees41
Nor is TTG dead.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
It's not February until Wednesday Febrary 1,2007.

ajwees41
What? It's not February? Get outta town...I must have a bogus calendar then...

And the eSATA port...a dead issue? What do I care....I've got nearly 100 hours HD capacity.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy
What? It's not February? Get outta town...I must have a bogus calendar then...

And the eSATA port...a dead issue? What do I care....I've got nearly 100 hours HD capacity.

look at the date on your computer clock.

ajwees41
Old 01-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
monkeydust

Tomorrow is the last day of January. You will wake up in the morning and your S3 will have the new version that fixes all the bugs and adds every feature you ever wanted. I can't wait to eat the cheese omelet, pancakes, and sausage that my S3 is going to cook for me tomorrow morning! :drool:
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust
Tomorrow is the last day of January. You will wake up in the morning and your S3 will have the new version that fixes all the bugs and adds every feature you ever wanted. I can't wait to eat the cheese omelet, pancakes, and sausage that my S3 is going to cook for me tomorrow morning! :drool:

Today is the last day of January.

ajwees41
Old 01-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Today is the last day of January.

ajwees41
...is what you will be saying tomorrow.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem
...is what you will be saying tomorrow.
...While your S3 is cooking you breakfast!

Old 01-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #11
MichaelK

neither is dead:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ghlight=denney

might not ever see the light of day but tivo is trying to get approval for their DRM from cablelabs.

If tivo gets approval then they fire it up. If not then they need to decide if it's worth the effort to divide up functions between cablecard protected content vs other content (analog cable, NTSC, ATSC, tivocast, etc) Setting restictions on TTG based upon the source might be a reasonable thing to attempt and implement. But I'm not sure if eSATA will ever see the light of day if tivo needs to restrict an extrenal drive so it can only handle content that didn't come from a cablecard. That might make the thing t0o complex for Joe 6 pack.

You think the free space indicator is a hot button now- wait till they try an eSATA drive with resticted uses. Imagine a box with the INTERNAL drive FULL with 32 hours of HBO HD movies . But the owner has a 750 gig esata drive which would hold 96 hours that only has 30 hours of ATSC content on it. THe user tries to record another HBO movie and the tivo says no even though there's only 62 hours of content on this 128 hour tivo.....
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:57 AM   #12
Leo_N
Lucky 200 member

Welp, still not February, at least on the American continents.

On that note, are there any TiVos outside North America?

Premiere XL4
Series 3 w/2TB
Series 3 w/750GB

"TiVo me, will ya?"
''Never lost. Never will.''
--- Denny Crane
Leo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:00 PM   #13
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_N
Great Britain has them, Series 1 only though.

As far as 8.1 I'm sure it will be here soon, probably in the next two or three weeks.

I was speaking to the lady I've been working with on a channel problem at TW and she told me one of the engineers at TiVo said that there was an update coming in just a couple of weeks. I started laughing, then I had to explain why. I don't think she got it.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
If not then they need to decide if it's worth the effort to divide up functions between cablecard protected content vs other content (analog cable, NTSC, ATSC, tivocast, etc) Setting restictions on TTG based upon the source might be a reasonable thing to attempt and implement.
They already do this. TivoCast things (like CNet's weekly show) can't be MRV'd or TTG'd. You can see them, see the details, but you can't transfer them.

Minimal work to tag CC programs the same way. Would suck, but easily doable with the current software.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #15
TexasGrillChef

Yesterday, Todady was tommrorow. Tommrorw, today will be yesteday.
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:56 PM   #16
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab
They already do this. TivoCast things (like CNet's weekly show) can't be MRV'd or TTG'd. You can see them, see the details, but you can't transfer them.

Minimal work to tag CC programs the same way. Would suck, but easily doable with the current software.

good point.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:57 PM   #17
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Wow, I'm confused. Did I miss my rent payment or what? I feel like I'm stuck in a chapter of House of Leaves. Navidson? Where are you?
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:12 PM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
neither is dead:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ghlight=denney

might not ever see the light of day but tivo is trying to get approval for their DRM from cablelabs.

If tivo gets approval then they fire it up. If not then they need to decide if it's worth the effort to divide up functions between cablecard protected content vs other content (analog cable, NTSC, ATSC, tivocast, etc) Setting restictions on TTG based upon the source might be a reasonable thing to attempt and implement. But I'm not sure if eSATA will ever see the light of day if tivo needs to restrict an extrenal drive so it can only handle content that didn't come from a cablecard. That might make the thing t0o complex for Joe 6 pack.

You think the free space indicator is a hot button now- wait till they try an eSATA drive with resticted uses. Imagine a box with the INTERNAL drive FULL with 32 hours of HBO HD movies . But the owner has a 750 gig esata drive which would hold 96 hours that only has 30 hours of ATSC content on it. THe user tries to record another HBO movie and the tivo says no even though there's only 62 hours of content on this 128 hour tivo.....
How difficult could it be? It seems like all they would have to do is set a flag for all CC recorded content. If the recording doesn't have this flag then it can be put on the external drive or MRV. Or is there more to it than that?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:29 AM   #19
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

It's February!

These issues still aren't dead, though...

Aaron, it probably isn't that difficult a challenge. What was said in the fall was something to the effect of "We're still waiting to hear back from Cable Labs, hopefully we can turn it on for everything, if not we'll get started coding up something in compliance with whatever restrictions CL puts on us".

I can understand the not wanting to waste effort coding anything until CL gives their judgment on what can and can't be done.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:14 AM   #20
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_N
TGC sells TiVo in Taiwan, maybe mainland China too. Australia via a dedicated group of hackers. UK as was mentioned.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 AM   #21
rdrrepair
You can call me Bill

www.???.Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
Australia via a dedicated group of hackers.
Does that group have a website?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #22
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
How difficult could it be? It seems like all they would have to do is set a flag for all CC recorded content. If the recording doesn't have this flag then it can be put on the external drive or MRV. Or is there more to it than that?

it would be very easy to do.

If you are referring to eSATA- being easy to do and actually offering it do to fears of usability are 2 differnt issues.

In my example above someone could have 30 free hours of space and be resticted from saving the program.

Want a crazier example: user above with 32 hour internal drive and 96 hour external drive watched alot of broadcast tv. He has one 2 hour HBO HD movie stored on the internal drive and 30 hours of broadcast tv on the internal drive. External drive is empty- so he has 96 hours of space for more broadcast tv but if he tries to record another HD movie the box has to say no as there is no space left on the internal drive or it can figure out how to transfer an internal recording to the external drive and then permit the recording.

You say- well just transfer it. What if the recording starts in 7 minutes? WIll it have time to move 2 hours of HD content from the internal drive to the extrenal drive before it needs the space? So it will need to think about that. Beyond that I'm not aware that the tivo itself currently has any way to move content from one partition to another so that would need to be coded. I guess they could put in some code that unflagged content should go to the external drive first but still there will be times when that chokes. I could see it be a huge usability mess.

So say the reason Tivo's afraid to implement a free space indicator is because it's "too confusing" do you think they are going to implement a plan where depending onthe content you want it decides if you can record it or not?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:05 AM   #23
scottb4u

Guys!

Why is this so difficult? The SFA 8300 has been doing it for over a year! And the drive is useless when disconnected from its partnered cable box.

It is safe and effective...So what is the holdup?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:06 AM   #24
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Because Cable Labs approval for the SA8300 doesn't apply to the Tivo S3.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:10 AM   #25
scottb4u

I got that, Hokie.

But what is the difference?!!!One is owned by "dependable" Cisco and Tivo can't be trusted?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #26
MichaelK

more specifically the SA 8300 doesn't need cablelabs approval at all as it's not a cablecard device.

It's up to the specific cable company to decide if what SA is doing is safe enough for them and some have determined it is so they've enable the feature (and other cable systems have NOT enabled it for whatever reason).

Just another road block set up by the cable industry for the third party device manufacturers. (The CEA has proposed that it's none of cablelabs business if the safe enough- that such decisions are between the device manufacturers and the content owners.)
Old 02-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #27
MichaelK

come July 1 most cable companies will need to deploy cablecard equiped boxes. At that point SA will need to get approval for whatever cablecard DVR they produce. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Currently the only acceptable encryption schemes according to cablelabs are MS's system and Real's helix. Safe bet SA isn't using either of those right yet...
Old 03-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #28
bearcat2000

What in the world is the hold up/big deal in regards to activating the eSATA port on the Series 3. For crying out loud, it's just extra space so you can hold more programs. Is involvement in CableLabs really necessary? One word, ridiculous.
bearcat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #29
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2000
What in the world is the hold up/big deal in regards to activating the eSATA port on the Series 3. For crying out loud, it's just extra space so you can hold more programs. Is involvement in CableLabs really necessary? One word, ridiculous.
Unfortunately, the hard drive could be used to store protected content (encrypted content that requires the CableCards). So yes, CableLabs is involved.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #30
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2000
That's an oversimplified version of what's going on.

Suppose that the S3 stored complete programs on the external drive (as opposed to splitting them between the internal and external hard drive). Now, suppose someone were to disconnect that drive and attach it to a PC, decrypt those programs, and then start spreading them around via BitTorrent. Big problem for the content providers.

TiVo and CableLabs need to work out EVERY detail about how the drive is attached, how the programs are stored internally/externally/shared, what the encryption scheme is, what happens when the drive is disconnected, etc. Lots of bases to cover.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote