TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
MichaelK

Trick play causes audio dropouts over HDMI?

Sorry if this is obvious someplace but I searched and didn't see anything.

I just picked up my second S3.

First one is connected via dvi w/hdcp to TV for video and via optical to recevier for audio. It all works fine.

The new one I connected straight to my tv via HDMI for both audiop and video. All is well except when I use trick play then the audio cuts out for a second or so. I wind up missing some of the sound effects and a second or 2 of program audio. It's weird if I hit rwd once to go backwards slow then I get no be-boop. But the second and third click of the rwd do make the be-boop.

Is this the normal behavior over HDMI?

Or is my tv choking on format change (it's a sharp aquos that's a couple years old and I think there were some early HDMI issues with the sharp). I notice that on my av receiver downstairs that I can watch the audio bounce from 5.1 to other forms during differnt actions (although I dont recall noticing that during trick play- I guess I'll need to pay attention).

The TV is only stereo anyway so i can use an HDMI to dvi adapter to strip out the audio and then use stereo RCA cables to do it.

Any thoughts?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
rdrrepair
You can call me Bill

I remember reading that you will loose the be-doop or TiVo sound via HDMI and maybe even audio optic - myself, I can't stand the noise so I haven't checked it out.

It's part of the THX certification.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrrepair
I remember reading that you will loose the be-doop or TiVo sound via HDMI and maybe even audio optic - myself, I can't stand the noise so I haven't checked it out.

It's part of the THX certification.
I beleive if there's 5.1 then the be-boops are not sent but otherwise they are.

That said- I can live without the be-boop if that was it, but I seem to loose a second or 2 of the program audio at the same time. It's like the TV needs a second to synch back up once the program starts playing. The video is instant but the audio is delayed. On the optical audio to my av receiver there is no delay at all.

It's not earth shattering but if I hit the 8-second rewind becasue I didn't hear something then I'm really only going back 6-seconds of audio. I can hit the button twice- so no killer. But I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or if my TV is the culprit.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote