TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #91
rcompart

Yes, actually I am thinking about doing that. I really only want the controller from it as I have my own case but in one word, yes!
rcompart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #92
Flappjakk

With Hitachi Releasing a 1TB harddrive for <$400, do we think that might work in place of the RAID enclosure? The RAID setup you have is sure cool, but i'm guessing it might have cost more than the Tivo.
Flappjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #93
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flappjakk
With Hitachi Releasing a 1TB harddrive for <$400, do we think that might work in place of the RAID enclosure? The RAID setup you have is sure cool, but i'm guessing it might have cost more than the Tivo.
The whole RAID project has to be seen in the historical context. Just nine months ago there were no quiet 750GB drives let alone 1TB. There was no access to the external eSATA port. To accomplish his feat, lightrunner had to use a RAID setup. As exciting as it was at the time it is now pretty much obsolete for most purposes (save someone with a perceived need for data redundancy) and nobody is still advocating the technique. The noise and expense make it impractical for most people. The ultimate way now is to update the internal drive to 1TB with the option for another 1TB via the eSATA port.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:37 AM   #94
crabbon

True, but I'd like to push the tivo to it's limits.

What about a 5 drive RAID 5 system, holding 1TB drives. That'll be 4TBs. I read somewhere the the 1TB drive limit has been broken using mfslive. I see they have a RAID setup at 2.5TB. Can it be bigger.

Lightrunner, have you done any more testing? I'd like to give this a try on one of my S3s.
crabbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:56 AM   #95
jlib
Lean Forward

Well, since it is unknown territory nobody will know for sure. Since it is essentially a database you are dealing with you will probably run up against memory limitations before any hard partition size limitations since it has already been demonstrated at up to 2.5TB. But if you have the resources and curiosity to trudge onward then the only admonition is that the RAID has to be a hardware RAID (no special cards or software drivers needed). The controller chip in the RAID unit will have to make it appear as one drive via one cable with no further intervention needed. There are only a very few such units out there so purchase carefully.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #96
Carlton Bale

Has anyone looked into using a Silicon Image SiI5723 integrated RAID controller? These are small, cheap, and low-power.

One thing I've learned about hard drives is, if you run them long enough, they will eventually fail. I've suffered through several drive failures. Not that 1TB drive are available, there is not much need for the additional storage space made by combining multiple drives into a RAID set. What I'd like to have is simple way to mirror a drive in a RAID1 configuration.

With one of these SiL5723 boards, I think it would be possible to fit the RAID controller and two 1TB drives in a TiVo enclosure. This would give real-time, continuous protection against drive failures. The controller takes care of all the RAID functions and presents itself as a single SATA drive to the TiVo.

Any thoughts on doing something like this? I don't want to deal with the headache of another TiVo drive failure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: devoted to documentation of everything TiVo
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #97
c3
TiVoholic

5723 is what the THD uses, but not for RAID1. The easiest solution is to route the internal SATA port to the eSATA connector, and then use a RAID enclosure outside.
c3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #98
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton Bale
...With one of these SiL5723 boards, I think it would be possible to fit the RAID controller and two 1TB drives in a TiVo enclosure...
You aren't going to find any standalone boards you speak off at the retail level. They would be OEM solutions such as motherboards or external RAID enclosures. Trying to salvage the electronics from an enclosure so to make a more compact and elegant solution by fitting both drives and the electroics in the TiVO would be non trivial in that most OEM solutions now have the drives plugging directly into the card for power and data so may not be friendly to simple extending with cables to the independently mounted drives.

It would just make more sense to use an external enclosure. If you are just looking for simple mirroring, Western Digital has a new two 1TB eSATA drive enclosure that can be configured as RAID 1 for a total of 1TB (Edit: Not a good example; its "triple-interface" does not include eSATA as I thought) . As c3 said you can easily route the TiVo HD internal SATA to the eSATA port (its a little more complicated with the S3 since its eSATA is surface mounted to you would have to do a little cutting for cable access).

Last edited by jlib : 11-06-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: clarification
jlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #99
Carlton Bale

I just check and there are no Western Digital enclosures with both eSATA and RAID (they are USB + Firewire only.) However, I did find this enclosure, which should work well. If someone wanted to integrate the board inside the TiVo, this board would probably work, and it supports 4 drives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #100
c3
TiVoholic

The AMS system with the 4726 chip would NOT work with TiVo in the RAID 1/10 mode. You need something with the 4723 chip, such as the Thecus system that jlib is using.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:56 AM   #101
Carlton Bale

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
The AMS system with the 4726 chip would NOT work with TiVo in the RAID 1/10 mode. You need something with the 4723 chip, such as the Thecus system that jlib is using.
Why not? Don't both present the drive array as a single eSATA drive? Looking at this page, the 4726 is just a 5 port version of the 4723. But I do think the 3 extra ports would be unnecessary.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #102
c3
TiVoholic

When an error occurs, the 4726 requires the host software to start the rebuild process. The 4723 firmware would do that by itself.