TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #31
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrunner
I think this Port Multiplier enclosure might work.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusion500p.html
Wouldn't any port multipler solution require port multipler support on the tivo side? Note this fine print in the link you posted:
Quote:
* Fusion 500P requires a SATA host controller that supports port multipliers ...
Do we know the S3 host controller/driver has that support?
JamieP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:14 AM   #32
lightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP
Wouldn't any port multipler solution require port multipler support on the tivo side? Note this fine print in the link you posted: Do we know the S3 host controller/driver has that support?
Good catch. Thats a very good question. I guess it wont hurt to find out. Ehhh... the box looks somewhat similar to the SANS box so the wife wont notice its a new box and besides she got new shoes so I can get another box....
lightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:17 AM   #33
lightrunner

I will also try to get a better look at the main board to see if I can find the SATA controller chipset. If its something like silicon image I can probably find information on their website for mulitplier support
lightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #34
Thom

Jamie -

I recently tried upgrading a series 1 DSR6000 and a series 2 HDVR2 to dual 750 GB drives, and I could not get MFSTool to successfully expand MFS beyond 1048xxxMiB (as reported by MFSTool). So I wound up using a 750 GB A drive and a 400 GB B drive, with some unused space on the B drive.

Do you know what technique was used to fully utilize the dual 750 GB drives, or can you point me to a post about it?

- Thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP
To expand a little further, there is a limit on partition size too. I'm not sure if this is an artifact of mfstools are an inherent MFS limitation, but with -r 2, the partitions can't be larger than 256GiB (274GB), with -r 3 : 512GiB (549GB), with -r 4 1024 GiB (1099GB) .

With a single disk, you can have three partition pairs, but two pairs come from the original tivo disk and only one pair is added by mfsadd. So if you start with a stock 250GB S3 image and expand it, you'll be limited to 250GB +1099GB = 1349 GB. To get more than this, you'd either need to partition the raid into two volumes and add them as separate disks (not sure if the S3 can handle two disks) or find a way to strip off or expand one of the partition pairs in the original stock image so you can add another larger pair. The partition coalesce hack would be one way to do this.

The hard limit on MFS size is 2TiB. I know 2x750GB has been done on the S2 units and the only issue is the display problem previously mentioned.

Thom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #35
JamieP

Quote:
I will also try to get a better look at the main board to see if I can find the SATA controller chipset. If its something like silicon image I can probably find information on their website for mulitplier support
I believe the SATA controller is integrated into the broadcom bcm7038.

It's a dual channel controller, and in the boot logs I've seen, it seems to look like a legacy PATA controller to the kernel. It shows two ide channels (ide1 and ide2) with two disks per channel (hd[a-d].) That may just be the way tivo wrote the drivers for it.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #36
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom
I recently tried upgrading a series 1 DSR6000 and a series 2 HDVR2 to dual 750 GB drives, and I could not get MFSTool to successfully expand MFS beyond 1048xxxMiB (as reported by MFSTool). So I wound up using a 750 GB A drive and a 400 GB B drive, with some unused space on the B drive.
I don't have any specific information. I just know that the upgrade vendors are selling dual 750GB drive systems. I thought people here had posted success stories too.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #37
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
I'm having a hard time visualizing what lollipop-shaped tab-like thing you are talking about? Any pictures? Megazone's site seems to be down today.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=315795

You shoulda checked in the image you mentioned/attached earlier

Of course, the existing openings are too sharp/awkward - but nothing a little drilling/dremmeling wouldn't smoothen out enough to add one SATA->eSATA connector cable originating on the onboard SATA port.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:46 PM   #38
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
You shoulda checked in the image you mentioned/attached earlier

Of course, the existing openings are too sharp/awkward - but nothing a little drilling/dremmeling wouldn't smoothen out enough to add one SATA->eSATA connector cable originating on the onboard SATA port.
Is the link working for you? Megazone's TivoLovers site seems to be down from here.
http://www.tivolovers.com.nyud.net:8.../Inside-12.jpg
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #39
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Is the link working for you? Megazone's TivoLovers site seems to be down from here.
http://www.tivolovers.com.nyud.net:8.../Inside-12.jpg
Yeah, it works ... sorry, I didn't notice you HAD linked off his site ... although this seems to bea mirror?

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #40
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Yeah, it works ... sorry, I didn't notice you HAD linked off his site ... although this seems to bea mirror?
Working now. Yes, now I see the lollipops.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #41
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Working now. Yes, now I see the lollipops.

What can I say ... I enjoy colorful, suggestive analogies
Think that gap is large enough for a cable, or a hooked in eSATA adapter? After some drilling/smoothing, perhaps?

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 10-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #42
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
What can I say ... I enjoy colorful, suggestive analogies
Think that gap is large enough for a cable, or a hooked in eSATA adapter? After some drilling/smoothing, perhaps?
AFAI Can Tell, all the lollipops (including sides and back) are blocked when the top cover is replaced.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #43
greg_burns
Now in HD

I have my Thecus setup now as well...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4486356
Old 10-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #44
MichaelK

i believe the 'lolipops are something of a spring that pushes against the sides of the top when it is slipped on to make the top & bottom/sides a continuous shield/ground/whatever. So breaking off a lollipop does ya nada becasue the top forms a second layer in that area that you would need to drill through.

follow me?

THe holes in the bottom I think are the best bet...
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:02 PM   #45
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Why not just disconnect TiVo's wires to the the S3's eSATA port, and use your SATA to eSATA cable to wire it up? Then you can plug your RAID box directly into the S3 just like a pro. If TiVo gets around to activating the eSATA port (and you want to use it), you can put it back the way it was, and then cut a hole in your box for the first raid.*

*Or, better, cut a hole in the backplane and install another eSATA socket, and use TiVo's wiring to activate it.

(I'm assuming that the S3's eSATA socket isn't just one component of a larger circuit board, in which case you can't easily re-purpose it. In that case, I'd still cut a hole in the backplane and mount an eSATA socket for the RAID. It's a classy box, let's treat it with some respect.)
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:14 PM   #46
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
I'm assuming that the S3's eSATA socket isn't just one component of a larger circuit board
It is.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #47
alee

Congrats lightrunner... you're on Engadget!
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/16/t...3-to-1tb-hack/
alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #48
c3
TiVoholic

From Engadget: "we've still got to wonder where the guy is going to find the time to watch a working week of high definition TV re-runs."
Old 10-16-2006, 11:16 PM   #49
sjcbulldog

They just don't understand, it goes to 11.
sjcbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:46 PM   #50
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't think I'm smeeking here, but IIRC, 32 bit Linux has a limitation of 1TB per drive because it's LBA48 implementation is really LBA32. This would suggest a limit of 2TB if one could get the S3 controller to "see" two drives, or the 1TB shown here with a single drive.

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:39 AM   #51
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson
I don't think I'm smeeking here, but IIRC, 32 bit Linux has a limitation of 1TB per drive because it's LBA48 implementation is really LBA32. This would suggest a limit of 2TB if one could get the S3 controller to "see" two drives, or the 1TB shown here with a single drive.
2^32 * 512 = 2TiB, and the limit is described here as "The 2 TiB limit". Do you have a reference that says it actually clicks in at 1TiB instead? I could imagine that might be the case if the sector numbers are ever treated as signed quantities.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #52
shootedit5

Cool job lightrunner. It looks like you caused quite a stir over at engadget with the replys. Some people seem to think that you live with your parents from the pics lol... Anyway keep posting the good work. Just so you know my glad press n seal is still working great. thnks..
shootedit5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:13 PM   #53
greg_burns
Now in HD

Cool Fun with scissors

Quote:
This is one I am still trying to decide on. But I think your solution is the best option with out having to make drastic cuts into the box.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #54
moyekj

So since the 1TB limitation seems to be file system related I would assume that if/once E-Sata port is enabled it will have a 1TB limitation as well?
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #55
c3
TiVoholic

greg_burns, I hope you won't need warranty service.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #56
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
greg_burns, I hope you won't need warranty service.
Me too.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #57
MichaelK

Quote:
Me too.

that's mint!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #58
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
So since the 1TB limitation seems to be file system related I would assume that if/once E-Sata port is enabled it will have a 1TB limitation as well?

one would assume so...
Old 10-17-2006, 07:33 PM   #59
sjcbulldog

Well, if he does and I were running Tivo, I would service the box just for the interest he is generating in the S3 and assocaited "upgrades". I would keep it very quiet and ask Greg not to talk about it so I don't have to do this all the time, but it would be worth it.

Just my $0.02 worth
scjbulldog
sjcbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:34 PM   #60
JDAWG11

Your setup is definetly one to brag about...not only the a/v equipment, but the computers. Are those def tek's in your main room?
JDAWG11 is offline   Reply With Quote