TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
cwolfey

Better signal..no more Card Issues!

I have been having Card issues since I got the S3 about a year ago, channels disappear, black screen, card error msgs etc.. I would have to reboot and reinsert cards1 at a time to get them back for a short period. I even got new cards a month ago which seemed to fix problem but came back again shortly after.

I remembered when I first got the install and a bad or weak Ground block made only 1 hd channel not come in.. I coulldnt believe it either but after it was changed .. it worked instantly.

So yesterday I again was missing a bunch of channels and even got a message Card 1 "not a viewing card" I did not reboot.. instead I ran new cable lines and changed all connectors. RG6 Quad & Compression Connectors were used. Then all worked perfect.

This must be really sensitive because my cables thought to be perfect before and even cablevision tested my signal at tivo and it was high. The cables were not old at all and there is only 1 split for a cable modem.

Where by now I would have had lost at least 1 channel...so Far all is perfect.

I will be finally relieved if this stupid simple fix made evrything work..! FINALLY!

Cant hurt for anyone else to try it... right
cwolfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Amazing isn't it? I had a stupid "ground breaker" which I had installed myself that when removed solved all my pixilation and audio dropout problems. I went from wanting to throw my TiVo box out the window to having (almost complete*) TiVo bliss.

*Now if Tivo can get my guide data and 30SS fixed I will truly be in the "promised land" once again.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
Joybob

Unrelated question. Should I get electrocuted by my Coax cable? I fooled around with it and the outside electrocuted me. I don't get pixelation although my signal is kinda low but it seems odd that it's electrified. Would running it through a UPS help?
Joybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #4
bizzy

you have a very serious ground potential difference problem somewhere.
you should have a licensed electrician find and fix the problem as soon as possible.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy
you have a very serious ground potential difference problem somewhere.
you should have a licensed electrician find and fix the problem as soon as possible.
I do suspect that's the case. However the flux through the Coax shielding is zero regardless of current so it shouldn't affect my signal right? Is this a problem for an electrician or the cable company to work out?

p.s. Is there a thread for working out signal strength issues?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
bizzy

The potential on the shield will not affect your signal but could damage your equipment, and also shock people You'll want to have an electrician look at it, most cable installers barely have the brains required to crimp on an F connector.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Rucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob
Should I get electrocuted by my Coax cable? I fooled around with it and the outside electrocuted me.
Back from the dead? Definition of electrocute.

Sorry, that's one of my pet peeves.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Joybob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker
Back from the dead? Definition of electrocute.

Sorry, that's one of my pet peeves.
I have learned something today sir.