TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
nmiller855

Will DirecTiVo SAT-T60 work with Genie setup?

I am staying at my daughter's house for a month. She has the DirecTv genie set up & I brought my SAT-T60 with me & want to record my regular shows while I am here.
I screwed the coax that went in the back of the Genie box into the satellite 1 input on the SAG-T60. It shows that it is getting 100% signal but won't let me watch live TV.
Will this work & can someone tell me how to do it, please?

nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
No can do. Your daughter has a SWM setup that is incompatible with your T60. Sorry.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
nmiller855

Can an installer set it up to work? She will be moving in a few months & I want to take my SAT-T60 to her house to leave for when I come stay.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
texasbrit

Not without completely changing the equipment and cabling. He would have to do the following:
Replace the LNB at the dish with a traditional LNB
Run four cables from the dish to a new SWM8 stand-alone multiswitch, with associated power inserter

Then your TiVo could be connected to the "legacy" ports on the SWM8 and work

So I think the answer is really a "no".

texasbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
nmiller855

They may be building a new house or buying an already built house that doesn't already have DirecTv & will have to have it installed. I REALLY want to be able to use my DirecTiVos.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
texasbrit

Since the Tivos are not on her account DirecTV will NOT do an install that supports them. You would have to install the different equipment yourself or get an independent installer to do it.

texasbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Why not just buy the TiVo that they sell now? Probably cheaper than a rewire for some legacy SD box.

Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
MikeekiM
Palindromer

I loved my Sony SAT-T60, but I have to agree... This box is ready to put in your rear view mirror...

There are no great options for TiVo on DirecTV... The "new" box is okay... I tried it, and it is largely just a HD reboot of the old box... Honestly, the DirecTV branded DVRs are not that bad... It's not as cute and engaging a UI as TiVo...but it is definitely usable, and is pretty intuitive after you get used to it...

I am thinking of switching from DirecTV to Comcast or cutting the cord completely and go with a TiVo Roamio OTA solution... My family misses TiVo...

I am hesitant because I think DirecTV is a great service with great customer support... My understanding from my Comcast friends is that the service is good, but that customer support and pricing/value are sub-par in comparison...

I need to do more research...

MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #9
ccchuck

why not just put up a SD dish?

If I am right this is a SD tivo machine <?>, if so attach a dish, old sd dishes are fairly easy to find. and record.
I have a genie, a HDTivo, and 1 sd tivo- the latter has its own dish and operates on its own.
and yes I prefer tivo - genie's ok.

ccchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #10
nmiller855

I think cchuck's solution would be best for me. I can mount a disk right above my bedroom & run the 2 wires directly to my DirecTiVo & the installer can install the Genie system to the rest of the house.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #11
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiller855 View Post
They may be building a new house or buying an already built house that doesn't already have DirecTv & will have to have it installed. I REALLY want to be able to use my DirecTiVos.
If they are going to do a new install, simply have the installer use a "standard" (non SWM) LNB and a separate, outboard, SWM-8 or SWM-16 switch. Both of these switches have "legacy" outputs that will support DirecTiVos. We drove a Phillips DirecTiVo for years that way, despite having other SWM-based receivers.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
My understanding is that home installers don't have the separate SWM switches available - those are provided only to MDU (Multiple Dwelling Unit, such as apartment complex) installs.