TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #121
nrc
Cracker Soul

Glad to hear that your install went fairly smoothly.

I did get my first bill and sure enough, they did have a cable box charge on it in addition to my cable card charges. I called and once I convinced the rep that I really, really didn't have a cable box they removed the charge and credited me. At least they say so. Fingers crossed.

Interesting. I see that we now have the Big Ten Network on channel 87. No sign of an HD version, though.

Not entirely square

Last edited by nrc : 10-05-2007 at 12:03 AM.
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #122
hogan64

WOW cable man came back with my replacement card yesterday and it worked right away. I did notice this morning that the 2nd card was not giving me my pay channels. I called WOW and he send the signal to my 2nd card and now I have all channels on both cards. It took a week but I'm now 100% operational. I really hope this lasts and I don't have to mess with this thing over and over. These cable cards seem to be pretty touchy. Sometimes when I reboot I'll get the "call WOW" screen to activate the card 1. Reboot again, and all works fine. Go figure.
hogan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #123
Cuisinartoh

Just got installed today

WOW came out today and installed two cable cards in my Tivo HD. The tech that came out was a Wow tech and not a contractor. He followed the directions from Tivo and aside from having to try 5 different cable cards to get two that worked, the installation went pretty smoothly. He did warn me that the cards can sometimes be flaky and that I may have to call for help if it happens. He also mentioned that the techs are looking forward to the M-stream cards because they'll be more robust and communicate better with the cable network.

Now it's time to start setting up all the season passes!

Ed
Cuisinartoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #124
foamy909

Big Ten 3 - Chicago

WOW now has all three Big Ten Channels up, 87 (primary) and 344 and 345 (overflow), at least on the Chicago-City Feed, . Unfortunately, they have set the CCI byte on 345 on the City feed to 0x02. My Series 3 cannot tune it, as it goes directly to the cable card screen. I will e-mail Leslie and maybe try to call support, but I doubt it will be fixed quickly.

Anyone who wants to watch Ohio St.-Kent St. in IL or Minn-NU in OH should probably check their channel. My guide data is incorrect, reversed for 344 and 345 as well

Last edited by foamy909 : 10-13-2007 at 04:40 PM.
foamy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #125
nrc
Cracker Soul

Our guide data for the OSU game (on 87 here) was correct but it was only updated in the last few days.

Not entirely square
Old 10-15-2007, 07:31 PM   #126
houman

I ended up getting digital basic + two cable cards, the updates on the cards went well and both worked (he had an extra one with him just in case), the firmware upgrades took forever.

I was under the impression that testing channel just shows the channel info not the video itself, so I started a guide setup and return back to work, but when I got home, I noticed none of the digital channels were working, one call to wow, and they reset the signals and all is well. I am not going to get HDPak at this time.

it's working pretty well, and having season pass for HD channels is really worth it, but I have to say that the digital basic channels are... well... meh

-H
houman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #127
geodon005

Newcomer to WOW

I was thinking about making the change from Comcast to WOW in a week or so, and I was just curious about what people's experiences have been in such a move. I am going from the Comcast Triple Play bundle (with the "everything including the kitchen sink cable TV package" to WOW's similar bundle (and everything they have cable TV-wise). The only downside for me seems to be losing ESPN2HD, but I can live with that, since WOW's bundle price is well over a $100 less per month than Comcast's.

I also have a TiVo Series 3, and other than the usual caveats for the installer (make sure it's a company tech, not a contractor; bring LOTS of cablecards; and follow EXACTLY TiVo's instructions for installation), is thee anything else I should be aware of prior to ordering? Thanks for your input.
geodon005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #128
Razorbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodon005
I also have a TiVo Series 3, and other than the usual caveats for the installer (make sure it's a company tech, not a contractor...
My personal experience with both a contractor tech and a WoW company tech was that the contractor was much more professional and willing to follow the Tivo installation instructions. The WoW company tech ignored everything the Tivo instructions said, and acted like a know-it-all, even though he was obviously very ignorant of Tivo products.

I agree, though, that it is important to have whoever shows up bring extra cablecards, and it is also very important to follow the Tivo installation instructions.
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #129
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy909
WOW now has all three Big Ten Channels up, 87 (primary) and 344 and 345 (overflow), at least on the Chicago-City Feed, . Unfortunately, they have set the CCI byte on 345 on the City feed to 0x02. My Series 3 cannot tune it, as it goes directly to the cable card screen. I will e-mail Leslie and maybe try to call support, but I doubt it will be fixed quickly.

Anyone who wants to watch Ohio St.-Kent St. in IL or Minn-NU in OH should probably check their channel. My guide data is incorrect, reversed for 344 and 345 as well
If the CableCARD MMI screen pops up whenever you go to a copy-protected channel (0x02), it means that your cards are not paired up properly. You can freely view any of the unprotected channels (0x00) without pairing. Your TiVo DVR is allowed to record copy-protected programming (0x02) but just won't be able to transfer it when MRV & TTG are activated in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:45 PM   #130
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy909

If the CableCARD MMI screen pops up whenever you go to a copy-protected channel (0x02), it means that your cards are not paired up properly. A quick call to the provider should clear things up.

In the meantime, you can freely view any of the unprotected channels (0x00) without pairing. Your TiVo DVR is allowed to record copy-protected programming (0x02) but just won't be able to transfer it when MRV & TTG are activated in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 PM   #131
geodon005

Well, as a followup: I had WOW's installer out this past Saturday. He was a company tech, and arrived with about 6 CableCards. He said that he had done installs with a 2 or 3 TiVo Series 3 before (and it showed). The first card paired immediately, and the second one resulted in a firmware update being downloaded. . . once the download was done, I finished Guided Setup and. . .voila! Everything worked! In all honesty, the only difficulty came in getting my TiVo to recognize my wireless network so I could download guide data (which was resolved by turning off the network's encryption; I turned it back on after the tech had left and the network was recognized immediately). Total install time (including running cable, hooking up internet and one other box for the bedroom TV): 1 hour, 45 minutes. Not bad at all!

So far, I like WOW a lot, especially considering how much I am saving over Comcast. I miss ESPN2HD, but I can live without it (no need for it after college football season ends anyway) but I loved gaining HDNet and HDNet Movies.

All in all, a great idea to switch.
geodon005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 PM   #132
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

And, trust me, if/when you need customer service, you'll SO MUCH prefer WOW over Comcast.
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 PM   #133
nrc
Cracker Soul

I'm very pleased with WOW, having moved from DirecTV. I just wish they'd give us a hint on their HD plans. Anyone seen anything about their plans?

Not entirely square
Old 11-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #134
foamy909

I have been in an e-mail conversation with Bill, a Senior Customer Care Advocate at WOW, who works with CEO Colleen Abdoulah. I initially used the CEO contact form regarding the blackout of games on NFL Network, and he wrote back to me. He assisted in getting the pixelation some were seeing on FOX cleared up. Later I sent him a point-by-point e-mail, and I have included his response.
Always a pleasure to hear from you. I am glad to hear everything is working well in your area. I will do my best to answer your concerns in the order you sent them:

NFL Network - There should be some information posted , in the next few days, regarding the 8 NFL games. I am very sorry you feel conned, since it was not disclosed. At the time, we were still in negotiations with the NFL Network. The channel change that you suggested is being taken under consideration but no definite answers have been given.

Big Ten Network - The other markets do not have plans, at this time, to put up the Big Ten Network in HD. Unfortunately, we have not received a substantial number of request for it in the regions. Since available bandwidth is at a premium, we will not be launching it.

HD Channels - The suggestions are being reviewed, regarding the HD channels you requested (ESPN2 and Universal). Since deal negotiations are constantly updating, I really can not comment on what will be released and when.

Multi-stream Cable Cards - At this time, I do not have any updates for this product.

Switched Digital Video - This product is under review but we do not have any immediate plans for launch.
If you are outside Columbus, and want the Big Ten Network in HD, use their contact form to let them know. Besides being a University town, my guess is that they carry it in Columbus partially because Insight Cable carries the HD feed. At least in Chicago, they don't have similar competition from cable carrying it at all.

On a related note, thanks to grantsa4 over at DSL Reports,I read on my latest bill that "Effective Jan 2, 2008, TNT HD and ESPNHD will become part of WOW! HD Basic. HD Pak customers will continue to view TNT HD and ESPNHD programming on WOW! Cable channels 209 and 211, respectively.

To me that sounds like they will become part of Digital Basic, although I have not seen the term HD Basic before. I would hope they would then add more channels to the HD Pak, because if it shrinks to only seven channels, one being a gameless NFL Network, I may drop it.

Last edited by foamy909 : 11-15-2007 at 08:59 AM.
foamy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:57 AM   #135
nrc
Cracker Soul

Thanks for the info. I can't see giving up any of the HD channels to save $10 but it makes no sense to move channels out of the premium tier and not add something to the package.

Not entirely square
Old 11-16-2007, 10:18 AM   #136
Razorbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy909 View Post
HD Channels - The suggestions are being reviewed, regarding the HD channels you requested (ESPN2 and Universal). Since deal negotiations are constantly updating, I really can not comment on what will be released and when.
Many moons ago, I requested that WoW add ESPN2HD to it's HD lineup. I think I did it via an online form I found on their website, and I'd like to re-submit that request, but I can't seem to find the online form. Can anyone point me in the right direction? TIA.

Last edited by Razorbak : 11-16-2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added HD to the channel name.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #137
grantsa4

On their website go to Customer Care-Contact Us and one of the drop down options is for Channel Request
grantsa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #138
Razorbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsa4 View Post
On their website go to Customer Care-Contact Us and one of the drop down options is for Channel Request
Done. Thanks, dude. Greatly appreciated!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #139
nrc
Cracker Soul

Got a lineup change notification today for Big 10 HD here in Columbus.

Not entirely square
Old 11-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #140
joshdev
JoshDev

I just wanted to detail my experience with wide open west. I called up the custom service to schedule an appointment to get two cable cards installed. In order to get the HD Pak, the rep forced me to get an HD Box along with the cable cards, even though I was only going to use the TivoHD. After politely explaining that I wouldn't pay for something I wouldn't use, she talked to her manager and was able to knock off $20 from my plan for the next 12 months. They were able to schedule me in for the following week.

The technician showed up on time and did a great job. He had never installed cable cards on a Tivo before and said in the past year he'd been on the job he's only done a handful of cable card installs. I handed him the Tivo directions, which he followed. He brought 4 cable cards and only had to try 3 to get two working ones. All in all the entire setup took about 45 minutes.

The nice thing was the technician recognized that I had no need for installing the HD cable box and didn't bother to add it to my account. He said since the cable cards are so rare many reps don't really understand that they can replace the need for a cable box.

I'm very pleased with the how the HD channels look so far, but don't look forward to switching over all of my season passes once the guided setup finishes indexing

--Josh
joshdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #141
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Glad to hear your install went well. I have a second HD tv and have a WOW HDDVR on it, as it's cheaper than a regular digital cable box, believe it or not.

Anyway...after a while, call WOW and tell them you're considering switching to Comcast. They may knock more off your bill. I get a $30/mo credit, and I have everything except Cinemax, including internet.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:24 AM   #142
Razorbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy909 View Post
NFL Network - There should be some information posted , in the next few days, regarding the 8 NFL games. I am very sorry you feel conned, since it was not disclosed. At the time, we were still in negotiations with the NFL Network. The channel change that you suggested is being taken under consideration but no definite answers have been given.
foamy909, I found the following update on the WOW website. Thought you might be interested...
NFL Network Exclusive Games

WOW! has been a partner of the NFL Network since we launched the channel on our Digital Basic service in 2005. After we made the commitment to deliver the channel to our customers, the NFL Network secured the rights to air eight games during the regular season. In order for WOW! to be authorized to show those games to our customers, the NFL Network is requiring WOW! to pay a substantial surcharge. We believe the surcharge they are demanding -- in addition to the programming license fees that we already pay them – is unfair and unreasonable. We believe we should be allowed to offer the channel in a separate programming package so that those customers who truly want to watch these games may do so and pay the incremental amount of money that the NFL is demanding. The NFL Network has not agreed to this at present. Consequently, they have not authorized WOW! to air these football games.

As sports fans ourselves, we know how frustrating this situation is to customers. However, we firmly believe our position is in the best interest of all WOW! customers – fans and non-fans alike.

FAQs

Q: Why did WOW! drop the NFL games that air on the NFL Network?

A: WOW! did not drop these games. The NFL Network will not authorize us to air the games unless we pay them a surcharge that is significantly higher than what we have already been paying them since we launched the channel.

Q: Why won’t WOW! pay the surcharge? I would pay more for the additional NFL games that air on NFL Network.

A: We have asked the NFL Network to allow us to put together a package for customers who would be willing to pay extra to be able to watch these additional games. The NFL Network has refused to allow WOW! the opportunity to present the games to customers in this manner.

Q: I already pay WOW! a lot of money every month. Why can’t you just pay the surcharge and give customers what they want?

A: We work continuously to deliver services at a fair and competitive price-value. The surcharge that the NFL Network is demanding, which we would have to pass onto customers, would seriously hamper our ability to continue to do so.

Q: This is a ridiculous situation. We customers are being caught in the middle and all you guys are doing is pointing fingers at each other. Are you going to fix this situation for me or not?

A: We do want to be able to provide customers with the programming that they want to see. However, we also need the NFL Network to provide us with options that are fair and reasonable, which they have not. We too are frustrated, but at this time we will not be able to air these games. We do not have any indications that this situation will change in the immediate future.

Q: What games are scheduled to air exclusively on NFL Network?

A:
Thursday, Nov. 22 Indianapolis @ Atlanta
Thursday, Nov. 29 Green Bay @ Dallas
Thursday, Dec. 6 Chicago @ Washington*
Thursday, Dec. 13 Cincinnati @ San Francisco
Saturday, Dec. 15 Denver @ Houston
Thursday, Dec. 20 Pittsburgh @ St. Louis
Saturday, Dec. 22 Dallas @ Carolina
Saturday, Dec. 29 New England@ New York

*The Chicago @ Washington game may also be available on the local broadcast channel in the Chicago area. Please check your local listings.

http://www1.wowway.com/cable/cable.a...08&RCView=MAIN

Old 12-01-2007, 12:11 AM   #143
jderk

My WOW experience was interesting to say the least. I have been a customer of a company WOW bought for Internet for 10 years for Internet only. Tivo Series II customer and DISH customer for 10 years.

Bought TivoHD so needed Cable since TivoHD needs Cable Cards.

Called WOW, since it just bought my ISP. They said they would send a senior tech with a multi Cable Card.

They sent a very nice tech with a single PKM600 with 2006 Firmware. Arrived at 9 AM and busted his ass, left at 4:30. A more senior tech then a manager showed up with more cards.

My slot 1 card sorta works. HD picture is pixelated on some channels. Slot 2 works on one or two channels but pixelated on most other or blank. the 108i channels are pixelated pretty badly every few seconds on both slots.

Pretty disappointed so far to say the least.

WOW says Tivo is the issue.

Does anyone know if WOW offers multi cards in any markets?
jderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:53 AM   #144
jrm01

If you are getting any remnants of each channel that you should be getting it doesn't sound like you are having cablecard problems. It sounds like a signal strength issue.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #145
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

I agree with JRM....it's almost surely not a TiVo issue. Did the techs check the signal strength?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #146
jderk

Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar'sBro View Post
I agree with JRM....it's almost surely not a TiVo issue. Did the techs check the signal strength?
He did. I am not in front of it now. When I restart TIVO it wants to reverify the cards. When I pick HBO HD channel TIVO reboots.

Last edited by jderk : 12-01-2007 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
jderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:10 PM   #147
Good Ol Gal
TiVo-licious

We are in the Columbus area and right now have WOW's HD DVR. I am seriously considering switching to a Tivo HD b/c I can't stand this DVR!

How much does everyone pay for their cable cards? Looks to me on their site that it should only be 3.50 a month. With the Tivo HD would I need one or two cards. Has anyone received the M card from WOW yet?
Old 12-26-2007, 12:16 AM   #148
debnjay

I don't blame you. I lived with the crappy WOW SA8300 HD DVR for way too long before buying a TiVOHD.

I'm in Chicagoland and I pay $3.50 for the 2nd cable card. The first one is free, and yes you need two unless they've recently started offering MCards.
debnjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:30 AM   #149
nrc
Cracker Soul

Columbus area - also $3.50 for the second card, first card free.

Not entirely square
Old 12-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #150
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

I pay $3.50 for both cards. I'm going to call to make sure this is correct. However, I'm also receiving $35/month in discounts, so this may be something I may not be able to change.