TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #91
foamy909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo
Are these channels copy protected (aka what's the CCI value for these channels)? If the pairing screen pops up, it means the channels are copy protected, and they haven't properly entered the information from the pairing screen into their systems. You'll either have to get them to do that correctly, or have them turn off copy protection. Either way, it's up to the cable company to fix it.
I think I wrote too soon. The Diagnostic screen does show 0x0, but when I actually go into the CP screen of the specific CableCard, I get different results. All seven channels list: CCI byte 0x02. I did not hear back from TiVoJerry, but I also did not give him this information. I will send him another PM with the specifics.

I may try WOW customer service, but my effort will completely depend on the CSR that I get. When I attempted to get them to check the authorization of the CableCard, the person I talked to was somewhat clueless.

Roderigo - thanks for your help!
foamy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:15 AM   #92
kevinki

I have WOW in the Chicago western suburbs. I have the same problems with the same channels that foamy909 reported. I don't think it's always been that way though, although I can't pinpoint when it started. I think I would have noticed one of the HD channels not coming in after the install. I haven't had time to pursue it with WOW or Tivo, in part because the problem channels aren't among my faves.

I do get Fox Reality 316 fine.

---
Kevin
kevinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #93
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Please recheck your WOW channels. I got word that there was an issue that they resolved just last night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #94
foamy909

I can report that the channels in question can all be tuned without issue.

I am going to take partial credit on this as I finally got through to a WOW Supervisor (thanks Mike T!). I initally called regarding the incorrect listing for 220 ComcastSportsnet HD. Zap2it and the TiVo Guide show the listings for the DC/Baltimore Market, even though they are broadcasting the Chicago Feed. The initial CSR did not understand the problem and did not have internet access to see the inconsistency in the listing. I asked for a Supervisor and Mike worked with me for fifteen minutes or so to finally observe the problem. He is supposedly forwarding that on to the proper people, so keep an eye out for a change.

When we were finished, I asked if I could get his e-mail so I could give some details on the missing channel issue. He admitted that he did not know much about CableCards but he said he would forward it on to the NOC. I sent him a detailed e-mail yesterday afternoon. Right after TiVoJerry posted the note above, Mike forwarded me the following:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:57 PM
To: Mary; Gary
Cc: John
Subject: RE: CableCard Issue - Chicago City

Mary,
We've seen this issue before. It is when the segment is not set
to "Copy Freely." The channels listed by the customer were not set to
"Copy Freely" in the Segment GUI. I changed them so the customer should
be able to see the channels OK. This only affects some cable cards.

I don't know how these got changed but I'm going through and
checking all of the other digital channels (you only set up a segment
for digital channels not analog). So far they are all set correctly,
that is "Copy Freely."

Have the customer check their channels now, they should work.

Wayne
Converter Control Engineer
In any event, the Chicago City Feed seems to be fine. If other markets are still having problems ( I don't know if Wayne is specific to a region), PM me and I will forward a note on to Mike T. I don't want to give his e-mail out as I would like to stay on his good side for the future!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #95
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

foamy909, I apologize if I did not reply to you personally. I did take your report and file it immediately, following which we have been in direct contact with WOW to get this resolved.

Going back to my post on 12/8, we previously had worked with WOW to fix these channels. It was found that copy protection had been enabled unknowingly. From what I'm told, a recent DST update to their systems inadvertantly reverted some of those settings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #96
RandyDtg

channel 316 Fox Reality is a different problem than CP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
Please recheck your WOW channels. I got word that there was an issue that they resolved just last night.
Yup, I think I may have helped that (armed with info. from TiVoJerry). Hopefully we're all getting all the channels that had been marked Copy Protect since DST changes. I am getting them (except 316), starting last night (hope I don't have to keep my fingers crossed.)

Both my cards still say "Waiting for CP Auth". Is this really a problem ?

It seems if a channel is marked copy protect, how can it then be authorized ?

So, I am now back to my original problem, that I can't get channel 316. It just goes to a black screen (forever) and no audio. (I'm WOW Detroit area). The TiVo info displays the current show, and channel strength is 97%. There is no Cable card CP or error screen. Also, when one of my cable cards is put in my Samsung TV, the cable card also shows a black screen but with audio, any clue here? WOW brought out a TV to my house that had showed this channel in their office, and with my card at my house, channel 316 played fine. I don't remember the brand/model of their TV. WOW has went way beyond the call of duty to help, I have also talked with TiVo tech support. With these clues, any suggestions ?
RandyDtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #97
foamy909

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
foamy909, I apologize if I did not reply to you personally. I did take your report and file it immediately, following which we have been in direct contact with WOW to get this resolved.
No worries...I had tried several different forms and such for the 220 ComcastSportsnet line-up issue without any results. Once I got a supervisor at WOW who was willing to take the time to go through it, I figured I would try him for the problem channels as well.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #98
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDtg
Both my cards still say "Waiting for CP Auth". Is this really a problem ?

It seems if a channel is marked copy protect, how can it then be authorized ?
This message means the card hasn't received the Copy Protection Authorization from the headend. This is different from Conditional Access authorizations (i.e. what channels the card is allowed to decrypt). The Copy Protection Authorization is based on the host/card ids. The headend needs to send out a message to the card, saying that it approves of that card working in the specific host (aka slot). If the card doesn't get this message, it won't show copy protected channels (but will still continue to show non-copy protected, but encrypted channels).

So, to solve this problem, WOW had two choices. The path they took - turning off copy protection, or they could have figured out why your card never got the correct Copy Protection Authorization message.

If they ever need to turn on copy protection for real, they're going to have to figure out the second issue.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:51 PM   #99
kevinki

Thanks to all who helped fix the WOW channels issue, I can confirm my issue is resolved as well!

---

Kevin
kevinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:53 AM   #100
scantor

FWIW, still no channel 319 in Columbus. Nothing's changed since I got the cards. It's still the only channel out, although we also don't get program guide info for Fox Sports HD on 220, similar to other reports.
scantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:38 PM   #101
Razorbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by scantor
FWIW, still no channel 319 in Columbus. Nothing's changed since I got the cards. It's still the only channel out, although we also don't get program guide info for Fox Sports HD on 220, similar to other reports.
Read posts #67, #69, and #70 on this thread, and use the link at the bottom of the following page on the Tivo website to request a Lineup Change for the missing program guide info...

http://customersupport.tivo.com/Laun...0-C7988FE596C3

After you fill out the form, the missing program guide info will appear a few days later.
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:16 AM   #102
scantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak
Read posts #67, #69, and #70 on this thread, and use the link at the bottom of the following page on the Tivo website to request a Lineup Change for the missing program guide info...
Yes, sorry, I know how to fix the missing guide info, I just don't care that much and haven't gotten around to it.

The missing channel 319, I care a lot more about, since I'm paying for it. Whether I choose to watch it or not is immaterial.
scantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #103
foamy909

ComcastSportsnetHD on 220 now lists the correct information for the Chicago City feed. I received the TiVo line-up change message yesterday afternoon and Zap2it/Tribune lists it correctly as of this morning...Just in time for the White Sox Home opener...

All of my Series 3/WOW issues are now resolved.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #104
szatkoff

I had my cable cards installed yesterday. The tech said he is familiar with cable card installs has done a few S3 installs. I inform him this is the new TiVo HD unit and is a little different. First card goes great. Second card takes longer, due to needing a firmware update. We test channels and everything appears to work fine. Rerun the setup and tech leaves.

Now I find that I cannot get any channels above 206 on the second card. I call WOW and they reset the cards. This still does not help. They want to setup an appointment and I ask for a supervisor. Supervisor claims that the programming is set exactly the same on both cards and only a tech can resolve the problem on site. I setup the appt. for next Wednesday.

Meanwhile, I notice pixelation\macroblocking on FoxHD and WGNHD I don't think I was receiving anything weird on ABCHD? I haven't has a chance to check my other channels. I thought the pixelation\macroblocking was only supposed to happen on premium channels? What do you guys suggest?

UPDATE 9/12/07

Tech came out and called in. The person on the other end said they were running the cable card script. All channels coming in as advertised.

Latest firmware release seems to have fixed pixelation\macroblocking, although I continue to get this on FOXHD. I have another appt for a tech to come out.

Steve

Last edited by szatkoff : 09-12-2007 at 09:28 AM.
szatkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #105
foamy909

Bringing this one back from the dead. There are not a lot of us on WOW, but I figured I would ask.

Is anyone else having issue with 215 NFL Network HD (Chicago-city)? I get the HD pak and for the last two days, the channel shows up as a black screen. I checked the Signal strength and it reads 91, but no picture. The CCI is 0x00, which is copy freely, so that is not it. I e-mailed a supervisor who said everything looks right on their end, but I swear it is as if they are blacking it out. The SD channel on 338 is normal, so I am really confused...

On a related note, the supervisor stated that they are still in negotiations with NFL Network for the live games at the end of the season. I have read on other forums that WOW blacked them out last year because they did not pay the per-subscriber increase that the network set with the live games...If I ever get the HD channel working again I will be ticked off as that was one of the bigger draws of the HD Pak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szatkoff
Meanwhile, I notice pixelation\macroblocking on FoxHD and WGNHD I don't think I was receiving anything weird on ABCHD? I haven't has a chance to check my other channels. I thought the pixelation\macroblocking was only supposed to happen on premium channels? What do you guys suggest?

Steve
I have not seen much pixelation on either of those channels. You might want to check out the WOW forum on AVS as I have seen that others are having similar problems in the suburbs, although I believe they are tuning via QAM.

Last edited by foamy909 : 09-12-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:07 AM   #106
Razorbak

foamy909, this thread is definitely not dead. It's now listed as the WOW topic home on the Official CableCARD Thread of the Tivo Community forum.

With respect to your question about WOW Chicago's broadcast of NFL Network HD (Channel 215), I'm a WOW subscriber out in Naperville, and I have also noticed a black screen on Channel 215 in the last few days, even though the SD channel (338) appears to be working normally.

Unlike last year, when they were definitely blacking out live games, this problem appears to be only on the HD channel, and it's is not just during live game broadcasts. It's happening during taped commentary shows, too. (When the live games were blacked out last season, there was clearly a signal available when tuned to the channel, which made it clear that you were viewing the NFL Network, but the middle of the screen was blank, and there was a banner ad running at the top of the screen urging customers to contact their cable company to lobby them to pony up on the access fee to make the live games available to subscribers.)

Something is definitely out of whack. Perhaps another call to WOW is in order?

I'm out of town right now, so I can't really look into this personally, but I would appreciate it if you could contact them again and let them know that other subscribers are experiencing the same problem. (I don't have access to my cable hardware when I am on the road. I can only view the output via Internet uplink through my SlingBox.)

Last edited by Razorbak : 09-12-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #107
foamy909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak
Something is definitely out of whack. Perhaps another call to WOW is in order?

I'm out of town right now, so I can't really look into this personally, but I would appreciate it if you could contact them again and let them know that other subscribers are experiencing the same problem. (I don't have access to my cable hardware when I am on the road. I can only view the output via Internet uplink through my SlingBox.)
I have already been in e-mail contact with Leslie, who I believe is a supervisor at WOW. I will link to this forum to show that it is not an isolated issue, but is at least across the Chicagoland system. I appreciate your response, as it gives me more to work with.

Going back, this seems very similar to the problem that RandyDtg had with 316 Fox Reality. (Black Screen, no audio, good signal, CCI 0x00). I may PM and him to see if and how they resolved it.

My comments on the demise of the thread do seem to be premature...I just put it in my Subscribed threads and forgot about it.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:28 AM   #108
Razorbak

No problem. Glad to help.

Another piece of info to note, when you contact somebody from WOW, is that the Tivo Guide info on Channel 215 is successfully streaming in as if the channel was live. The problem is the complete lack of video, despite the guide info coming up when you press the "info" button on the Tivo remote.

Good luck in getting this resolved. Please post follow-up info when it develops. Thanks.

Even though I'm traveling, I do miss watching the NFL Network HD feed on my SlingBox from my hotel room.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #109
foamy909

Looks like 215 NFL Network HD is back up with a SD feed. Over on AVS Moghopper found that there apparently was a fire knocking out several HD channels. I feel a bit better knowing that it was not a WOW CableCard issue.

Now we just need WOW to broadcast the live games come Thanksgiving...

Last edited by foamy909 : 09-12-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #110
houman

Foamy & Others,

If I want to upgrade to Tivo HD path, having currently only the local basic, do I need the HDPak + two cable cards ? or do I need to sign up for digital basic as well ?

In case I need their digital basic, with having the cable cards, do I need to get their digital top box and other hardware ? I am basically trying to minimize the amount of hardware needed

Thanks for any responses,

- Houman
houman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #111
foamy909

Quote:
Originally Posted by houman
Foamy & Others,

If I want to upgrade to Tivo HD path, having currently only the local basic, do I need the HDPak + two cable cards ? or do I need to sign up for digital basic as well ?

In case I need their digital basic, with having the cable cards, do I need to get their digital top box and other hardware ? I am basically trying to minimize the amount of hardware needed

Thanks for any responses,

- Houman
I posted this on AVS but I will address it here, too. WOW will not issue cable cards with anything below digital basic. You will not need a set-top box unless you need either pay-per-view or VOD. If you don't get the HD Pak, you will get the locals, Comcast Sportsnet HD, A&E HD (pretty worthless), and the corresponding HD channel for any Movie Channel you get. The value of the HDpak is dependent on your interests.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:57 AM   #112
houman

Well I called them, and yeah they do not give it below digital basic as you mentioned, which is a a bummer... that would add another $25-$30 a month.

I wish Tivo had QAM mapping.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:28 AM   #113
ayoung1012

Red face New Tivo owner

Well I finally did it I bought my first Tivo. I am now a proud owner of a Series 3. I have read the threads regarding WOW and I hope all of you have paved the way to an easy install for me. I have had WOW for 4-5 years. I had their internet service for those 4-5 years and have only had their cable for 3-4 years. I have 2 HD DVR's from them and got tired of paying a premium price. They would always give me discounts but sometimes I forget to call in when those discounts expire and bam one month it's $20-30 more. Is there any advice other than having the installer bring a lot of cable cards. I have already set it up and let everything load. I just haven't connected the cable to it yet. I have the Wow DVR still running and Wow won't be over until Tues AM.
ayoung1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:51 AM   #114
nrc
Cracker Soul

I had my install at the beginning of September. A couple of things - first, try to get them to follow the instructions on the sheet provided by TiVo. Second, when the cards are in they may immediately start downloading a firmware update. The message will say something like "may take up to 40 minutes and whatever you do don't interrupt." In spite of that my installer kept popping them out to try again. Finally I suggested that since it may take 40 minutes maybe they should go on to their next call and come back once it's done. It completed almost as soon as they left (probably 15 minutes) but once they came back everything went smoothly.

Other than the unwillingness to follow the directions the work they did was neat and professional. The person who wrote up the order when I called didn't understand that I didn't need a cable box so I'm still waiting for my first bill to make sure everything is charged correctly.
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:53 AM   #115
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

I've had my S3 since it first came out. As I remember my install, I would agree that following the posted directions is a must. Also, don't be surprised if your tech says something like, "This is the first TiVo I've ever seen." My tech told me, after he left, that he might be calling me for help in the future.

WOW techs are so far superior to Comcast's, at least in the customer service level, if not their technical knowledge.
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #116
ayoung1012

Thanks guys keep your fingers crossed. I go thru the experience tomorrow morning.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #117
debnjay

I just went through the cable card install today. Following the instructions provided on this forum worked. Unfortunately we struggled through "his way" first before doing it the TiVO way. By the third trip back everything is up and running. The big piece of advice is to be patient. When you install the card just sit there and don't do anything for 5-10 minutes until the grey screen comes up, and then wait another 15-30 minutes while the card goes through it's firmware update.

These were SA single stream cards. The tech said here in Chicagoland they don't have Motorola cards and they don't have multistream cards. Not sure if that's true or if this particular guy hadn't seen them.

Jay
debnjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #118
hogan64

I had my first experience with Cable cards on Monday. New Tivo HD and the WOW tech brought 2 single stream cards. Of course, he just poped both cards into the TIVO and waited. Did not bother to read the instructions my wife provided. He did manage to get the 2 Host ID's and provided them to me. He insisted that both cards were active and would work when the update completed. He left the job and gave me the 800 #.

4 hours later and they were still updating. I decided to follow the instructions and do 1 card at a time. I still could not get the system to take the update using 1 card. 3 hours of "updating card". I tried using the other card and BANG, I got the screen to call WOW. Called WOW and the card started working. Ran Guided Setup with the second card but still won't take the updates. WOW is bringing another card tomorrow. I think I just got a bad card.

Wow Techs are very nice but know nothing about TIVO. "First I've seen" seemed to be his comment. Kept trying to put the cards in my TV.

At least I have 1 card working. Hope to get the second tomorrow.
hogan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #119
houman

All,

This might not belong in there, but it does have to do with Tivo HD & WoW.

Right now WoW has some issues where HD channels 200-210 are coming in different channels like 94.102, etc but they're fixing it. Once they do, if I pick a Tivo HD, would I be able to pick those channels ? If so what are the steps to follow.

I figured I have no need for Digital Basic and cable cards. On the Tivo's website channel list, it does list channels 200+ for HD. Can a regular Tivo HD pick those channels (for schedules and recording ?)

Thanks a lot for any input,
Houman
Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #120
ayoung1012

Well guys and gals - it went a little bumpy but all works. The installer first came out and said he didn't know anything about tivo's. Second I handed him the guided set-up from tivo and some posts from this forum and everything was going smooth until he put the second card in and it didn't work. Well he only brought 2 cards when I asked for them to bring more than 2 because of a high failure rate. He said he would be back in 20-30 minutes, because he had to go get more cards. As I was checking the channels in the 1st card I noticed most of my HD channels 200's weren't coming in as well as my 300's. All of a sudden the second card started to update. When he came back in about 30 minutes both cards were updated and missing the same channels. He called in and told them the channels. They pushed the channels to the cards and presto all worked. So thanks to the advice and posts my install went okay. All in all it took about an hour and a half.