TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2006, 12:07 AM   #31
scantor

A WOW tech got back to me today and they've referred the problem I'm having with channel 319 to Tivo to look into.

I guess that's good, guess we'll see what happens. At least they're not just giving up.
scantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:11 AM   #32
thanna

They called me today too and said the same. I think they said somebody named Lisa at TiVo was going to be looking into it and may be calling.
thanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:30 AM   #33
stanski

Well I thought I would just post a relatively positive experience with a CableCard installation.

He told me he only did 1 other S3 about 2 weeks ago. The tech was there for about 45 min appeared to be working great.

After he left, I noticed the "HD Pack" tier was only coming in on one card. I called customer service, and after trying to explain to her that both cablecards were being used on 1 unit she activated the other card with the "HD Pack"

It seemed like she wanted to charge me twice for the HD Pack. I will defiantly pay close attention to my bill next month.
stanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:02 AM   #34
PajamaFeet
This Is Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanski
It seemed like she wanted to charge me twice for the HD Pack. I will defiantly pay close attention to my bill next month.
If you order the HDPak, wouldn't it make sense that you would get it for the whole house? I'm having a WOW installer come on Tuesday to put two CableCARDs in my TiVo S3 and an HD receiver on another TV. They're only charging me once for the HDPak. I think that we just need to educate some of the CSRs since this two-tuner TiVo with two cards is new to them.
PajamaFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #35
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Correct...I have WOW, with HD Pak, et al. I pay only once...and my second HD tv is connected to WOW's HD DVR. It's actually CHEAPER that way!

That, and the $30/month credit they gave me for being a good, loyal customer (and mentioning that Comcast seemed cheaper) makes me sing WOW's praises regularly!

Let us know how your install goes!
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:53 PM   #36
PajamaFeet
This Is Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by scantor
WOW just came back out, and they elevated the ticket to another engineer. Eventually, they'll tell me to wait for a Tivo update, I suspect.
Do you happen to have the ticket number? My WOW installer is here now, and I'm missing some channels too.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:06 PM   #37
scantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaFeet
Do you happen to have the ticket number? My WOW installer is here now, and I'm missing some channels too.
Well, the WOW ticket was 81543, and was assigned to Juan at the NOC.

I don't have a number at Tivo, but they've taken over the issue. No response from them yet, I think they're treating it as a software bug and it won't get addressed all that quickly.

If you're having authz issues with your cards, it's not the same problem I have. Mine is definitely an issue tuning one of the channels.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #38
PajamaFeet
This Is Delicious

Thanks scantor. I had a couple channels out, 318 & 338. The WOW tech was on the phone several times and unable to do anything...then voila, the channels worked. He had never seen it before, couldn't explain it, and scratched his head. This tech really knew his business. Maybe it was a loading issue, and it just took the TiVo some time to recognize the channel. Stumped.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #39
thanna

PajamaFeet, check those channels now. They should be fixed. WOW just came out to my house for a conference call with TiVo and one of TiVo's CableCard engineers helped them find the problem. The issue was related to copy protection. Here's the gist:

They unknowingly had copy protection enabled on several channels yet the CableCards weren't receiving the signal that authorized them to decrypt the channel. The issue has been solved by just turning off copy protection on those channels.

There is still an issue with SOAP (319). The WOW guys think they have an idea of what's causing it though. I didn't completely follow the discussion but it sounded like it had something to do with the way they were encoding the digital video and audio streams.

So, aside from 319, I finally have a fully functional box. I could care less about the soap opera channel so I'm happy.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #40
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

I still don't get 316 Fox Reality. Do you?

I do get 319, the Soap channel....like I care.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:13 PM   #41
samual.icky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar'sBro

Odd.... I get those just fine... I have issues with 47-53 (on one cable card) and 211 with the other...
samual.icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #42
thanna

316 was one of the ones with copy protection on. I get it fine now. You might have to wait a day or two I suppose. I think the changes they were making were only for the Columbus area though they said they'd have all other markets checked and fixed by the end of the day.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #43
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Thanks, Thanna, I'll let you know if it works.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #44
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Following today's conference call with WOW while at thanna's house, there are a number of channels that should now work for everyone (I believe they were just about all listed earlier in this thread). If you were experiencing this issue, it would happen on either CableCARD. Certain parameters related to copy protection were changed on their side, which fixed the problem almost immediately.

scantor, ch319 (soapnet) is a separate issue but WOW believes they have a handle on it as well. They should be working with you directly, but if they update us first I'll make sure to pass it along.

samual.icky, the good news is that the issue you are experiencing for ch47-53 missing on just one tuner is already addressed in our next release to the Series3. It is not restricted just to WOW, and exchanging the unit would likely do nothing to help in your situation. The bad news is that I do not have a solid ETA to give you at this moment, but don't worry about it. If the problem persists after the update, send me a PM referring to this post and I'll take a look at that time.

The team at WOW was very motivated and put a solid effort into working with us to figure out what the issue was. They've assured us they are auditing all their channels in all of their markets to make sure no others were affected. In fact, that work should already be done at the time of this writing, so feel free to let us know if there are any other WOW digital channels missing on both tuners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #45
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

316 still not working with my cable cards. It works with the WOW DVR, but not my TiVo cable cards.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #46
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
316 still not working with my cable cards. It works with the WOW DVR, but not my TiVo cable cards.
We know about 319 (SOAP) but 316 should have been fixed.

Please try the following:
Restart the DVR (just to cover the bases)
Tune to ch316
Go to diagnostics (TiVo Central> Messages & Settings> Account & System Information> Diagnostics)
Confirm which card is tuned to ch316
Send me a PM with the details of just that card

You should also go to the Copy Protection (CP) menu for that specific CableCARD and send the details from there as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #47
nrc
Cracker Soul

Good to hear that Wow is willing to address issues directly. They're my internet provider now and will probably end up being my cable provider when my DTV obligation is up in 13 months.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #48
scantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry
scantor, ch319 (soapnet) is a separate issue but WOW believes they have a handle on it as well. They should be working with you directly, but if they update us first I'll make sure to pass it along.
Thanks for the update (and it's definitely still out). I'll get in touch with WOW if I don't hear anything this week.

Not surprised they were cooperative, WOW seems to have techs that actually care about fixing things.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #49
samual.icky

Hmmm I just received the 8.0.1c update... so far things are looking good but time will tell. Let see if the stations are still functional in a few days.

I did notice some strange happenings while flipping thru the stations ... on some of the stations that had issues I had double stations so for instance I had to cbl50's one with actual CNN programing then one with the black screen... this also happened with the ESPN-HD... switched tuners flip thru the stations no doubles... flipped the tuners again... double again.

Now two things to note:
1.) the second empty double station had no programming info
2.) a reboot solved the problem... for now...
Old 12-31-2006, 10:58 PM   #50
samual.icky

Quote:

Well I'm no longer getting Fox Reality... but then again.. do i care
Old 01-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #51
showpony

Hi all.

I have WOW and an S3 with HDTV. All of my locals and movie channels come in fine but, I can't get the rest of my 200's!!! The dude at WOW said that I need a box to get the rest of the channels. It sounds like (reading all of the thread) that this is not the case. What's up? Did they just push a signal through or were there special HD cable cards that were needed. I REALLY don't want to switch cable companys, but I will if I have to. I live in Royal Oak Michigan. Is that different than other places (IE. participation may vary)?? Ugh.
showpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #52
dualtronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpony
Hi all.

I have WOW and an S3 with HDTV. All of my locals and movie channels come in fine but, I can't get the rest of my 200's!!! The dude at WOW said that I need a box to get the rest of the channels. It sounds like (reading all of the thread) that this is not the case. What's up? Did they just push a signal through or were there special HD cable cards that were needed. I REALLY don't want to switch cable companys, but I will if I have to. I live in Royal Oak Michigan. Is that different than other places (IE. participation may vary)?? Ugh.
I live in RO. You need the HDNET package to get 207-299. You do NOT need a box. If you don't get 200-206, then something's wrong... Personally, the HDNET package is a waste of money unless you're a big sports nut and must have the NFLHD channel.
dualtronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #53
showpony

But aren't the Discovery HD, TNT, and others part of that?
Old 01-06-2007, 10:47 PM   #54
dualtronic

Yes, those channels are all part of the HD Pack (sometimes called HDNET package).
Old 01-06-2007, 10:52 PM   #55
showpony

I just got off the phone with WOW again. They said that they had to "figure it out". Apparently the system will not let them activate the channels without an HD box. They admit there must be a way around this, but the person didn't have the expertise to do it. She is waiting to hear back from a supervisor. Sounds like a "safeguard" was built into their system to try to get you to use one of their pricey boxes. Huh, now that I think about it, when I asked for two cable cards originally, they gave me the "cable cards are not as reliable as a box" speech. That is Crap! Kinda pisses me off actually. Preying on the unsuspecting public...
Old 01-06-2007, 10:57 PM   #56
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Keep working, and tell them you know of others with the exact same setup you have, and it's all working for THEM.

Also, tell them you're considering moving to Comcast. As you'll see earlier in this thread, they may offer you a discount. I originally got all the HD channels for free by doing this. Now, I get a 30% discount on my total bill!

I love WOW!
Old 01-06-2007, 11:09 PM   #57
dualtronic

BTW, it's probably not the best idea calling WOW at midnight. The customer reps aren't the most brilliant at that hour. I recommend calling Sunday afternoon or anytime Monday. You'll probably get a service rep that has no problem adding the HD pack.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #58
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanna
There is still an issue with SOAP (319). The WOW guys think they have an idea of what's causing it though. I didn't completely follow the discussion but it sounded like it had something to do with the way they were encoding the digital video and audio streams.

So, aside from 319, I finally have a fully functional box. I could care less about the soap opera channel so I'm happy.
While I was at CES, WOW believes they fixed the issue with ch319. Since you exhibited the problem before, can you confirm this is now resolved?

Old 01-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #59
scantor

Quote:
While I was at CES, WOW believes they fixed the issue with ch319. Since you exhibited the problem before, can you confirm this is now resolved?
I had the problem too, and no, it's not resolved as of yesterday.

Unless I need to restart the Tivo, which I will try tonight once I'm home.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #60
samual.icky

Quote:
I can say for a fact as of today, and after a reboot, I still have problems with 319 not tunning in.

But maybe I have other issues... also not tunning in ch315-328..

Any other WOWies having this issue? I think this might be a local thing since the local NBC outlet isn't watchable (very pixelated and keeps dropping in and out)... of the three NBC I recorded last night (hour and a half of program) I was only able to snag 13mins of programming! Other HD boxes in the house have no issues tunning into NBC... cable card or issues with cable cards and WOW?