Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #271
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomba View Post
I have been having issues with my cable cards since the WOW digital conversion began. I suppose this could be a coincidence but starting the last week of March my TiVo HD's cable cards have intermittently stopped working. Some times it happens when I change channels but I usually notice it when we turn on the TV for the first time in the day. Re-booting fixes it some times but I will eventually lose the signal on one or both cable cards over the course of a day or two. The cards will sometimes start working again without a reboot too.

WOW came on site and removed a booster I have been using for years and re-terminated some cables but nothing has changed.

Is anyone else having issues with cable cards especially since the digital conversion started?
No problem here. Have you re-seated the cards (remove and reinsert) rather than rebooting the TiVo?
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #272
jrm01

WOW has posted transition info on their website detailing the planned changes. It is the most informative advanced notice that I have ever seen (submitted by a user at tivo.com).

The interesting thing is the plan to provide all of the channels in clear-QAM and even posting the channel numbers (lower right hand corner). If TiVo would only use this info in their program guide their would be no need for cablecards (except probably for premium channels).

https://www.wowdigitaladapter.com/Di...nSchedule.aspx
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #273
tekknosk8er

Ok, I need a lesson in Tivo and WOW cable cards.

I have a TCD648250B Series 3 HD Tivo. I purchased 2 cable cards (Motorola M-card) off ebay because of this new all digital service transition. Finding out that these cards do not allow you to recieve WOWs new all digital signal. So I call WOW, spoke with the first lady, she said that you cannot use cable cards, you have to buy the digital basic service mimimally at a $18/month upgrade price. I wanted to know why my cards didnt work, so I waited 30min to speak to her supervisor. Got the super on the phone, again she didnt know much more than the first lady, and kept telling me no, you cannot use other equipment you have to use our cards and upgrade your basic cable to digital basic cable at a $18/month upgrade. So I am going to buy WOWs cable cards at $3.50 a pop, for both tuners, and she is going to give me a discount for the difference of package upgrade for 12 months, then every year I have to call and do another complaint to get the discount to counter the cost of the digital basic service. Which I am totally not happy with.

My questions:
1. what is the difference between WOWs cable card, and a regular Motorola M-card, I already know the diff between S and M cards.

2. Is there anyway to make my Tivo use this Motorola M-card? I think it used to work before the transistion.

3. why do I need digital basic service? why cant I use my standard service?

I talked to the supervisor about what a cable tech does to setup their card in their equipment and she said basically the follow on screen instructions, and there isnt anything really like flipping a switch on their end or anything. There is the activation of new digital tuners you can online or over the phone, that didnt work either for my tivo btw.

HELP!
tekknosk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #274
nrc
Cracker Soul

Sorry that nobody answered these questions for you at the time. Just for the record...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknosk8er View Post
1. what is the difference between WOWs cable card, and a regular Motorola M-card, I already know the diff between S and M cards.
There is probably no difference. They require that customers lease CableCARDs from them. As far as I know they're allowed to do that.

Quote:
2. Is there anyway to make my Tivo use this Motorola M-card? I think it used to work before the transistion.
Not without WOW's support.

Quote:
3. why do I need digital basic service? why cant I use my standard service?
Since WOW has gone all digital their old Basic package is the same as Digital Basic according to their web site. If you had Limited Basic then I don't think they're required to support CableCARD on that tier.

Quote:
I talked to the supervisor about what a cable tech does to setup their card in their equipment and she said basically the follow on screen instructions, and there isnt anything really like flipping a switch on their end or anything. There is the activation of new digital tuners you can online or over the phone, that didnt work either for my tivo btw.
As you've hopefully discovered by now, they're incorrect. You provide them with information from your cableCARD and then they use the information to activate your card.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #275
nrc
Cracker Soul

What I actually dug this thread up to post was they WOW has posted information about their BYOB credit.

http://www.wowway.com/internet-cable...t-rental-fees/

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #276
medmunds

WOW self-install

Update on WOW and cablecards, based on my actual experience last week (12/2012). This was with WOW Southeast Michigan (what TiVo calls "WOW Detroit").
  • WOW allows self-install (without any arguing or need to cite FCC rules). You can pick up an M-card at one of their customer service offices.
  • You'll want the "Extended Digital" lineup. (And apparently TiVo has relocated all of southeast Michigan into "Plymouth Township" -- don't be alarmed.)
  • The call to activate the cablecard was ultimately successful, but very time consuming. WOW apparently switched to a new customer service system recently, and the rep I got had never activated a cablecard through it before. (It sounded like it had some confusing screens, as she was on the phone to her internal helpdesk several times during our call.)
  • Double-check every type of channel you receive while you're still on the phone with the rep. And check all your other WOW equipment, too. It took four tries to get all the channels we were paying for successfully activated. And then three more attempts to fix our other (non-TiVo) cable box that somehow became deactivated during the call.

There's probably a better list elsewhere of channels to verify, but here are the specific categories we had trouble with at various points during activation:
  • Local broadcast -- e.g., ABC (non-HD)
  • Local broadcast HD
  • Extended cable -- e.g., CNN
  • Extended cable HD
  • "HD Pak" -- a handful of channels that are billed (and authorized) separately -- e.g., Universal HD
  • Premium channels (we didn't have any, but presumably you'd want to check each of these if you have them)

BTW, despite the 45-minute call needed to get the activation all sorted out, I'd have to call the experience with WOW entirely reasonable, compared to other another major cable COMpany I've dealt with on TiVo activation issues. One call, no truck roll, and everything working at the end of the call is surprisingly good.

Mike
medmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #277
HomeUser

I switched to WOW from Comcast 2 years ago I really liked WOW's service. It's been more than a year between posts here I guess that says it all.

I replaced a TiVo earlier this year and it took less then 15 minutes on the phone with service to setup the card. My location was WOW Detroit with Northville as the location.

I sure hope they get this new system straightened out I had flashbacks to the Comcast experience when I contacted billing two months ago to find out where my bill was. The billing was delayed with the changeover to the new system.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #278
foamy909

Customer Equipment Discount

Resurrecting an old post on WOW...posted this over at Broadband Reports as well...

Anyone with a Tivo and cablecards should probably keep a close eye on their bill. I just got off the phone with WOW billing after I noticed I was not receiving the Customer Equipment Discount that it spelled out on their website, as I do not have one of their cable boxes.

http://www.wowway.com/terms-and-cond...nt-rental-fees

After talking to them, it appears that the discount is similar to their 'long-time customer' discounts that are set up to expire after a year. Unlike the cablecard charge, which once it is set up, it will continue to be billed. In other words, it puts the onus on the customer to make sure they are getting the discount they are owed per the FCC.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

They are supposed to call me back after talking with a supervisor. I am going to ask for a billing history and see if I can get a retro credit if I am due one.

The rep I spoke with said that since there is no equipment, the discount cannot be set up any other way. I would disagree, and say that the discount should be an option to be tied to the primary cablecard. As long as that primary card is being charged, the discount should be given as well.

I will keep you posted. If I don't feel the response is adequate, I may escalate to the WOW blog or e-mail a senior customer care rep that I have dealt with in the past.
foamy909 is offline   Reply With Quote