I'm planning to hit Circuit City tonight and hopefully walk out with an S3 box to replace my aging S2. I'm waiting to call Comcast until tomorrow, just in case they're out of stock, but I have some questions after browsing the forum for a bit.
1. Do I need two actual cables / outlets in order to take advantage of two cablecards? Our house has always been very finnicky about signal levels and the number of TVs hooked up. If so, can I opt to just use one cable card? Yes, it's sacrificing a tuner, but...
2. What should I do in advance of the Comcast guy showing up, to make his job easier? How much installation, what physically should I do myself? Also, are there any instructions I should be looking up online and printing or do they come with the S3 itself?
3. Can I leave the actual swapping of the cable over to the S3 until the tech shows up? I don't want to lose my S2's scheduled recording sessions and all my nice digital channels during the week I'm waiting around.
4. I've seen mention of needing to enable ADS to get your analog channels in digital; what terminology should I use so the tech understands what I'm talking about? (I already use a settop box with digital and HBO, so maybe it's already enabled?)
5. I've also seen 'cold initialization' bandied about. What is it and when do I know I need to call for it?
Trying to ensure I don't have multiple techie visits and a failed install... thanks for your help, in advance.