TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
Dajad

Is anyone ACTUALLY recording in-the-clear QAM Channels with the S3?

Thanks to the helpful advice of fellow members, I determined through this thread that I have more than 30 in-the-clear standard definition QAM channels available for manual recordings along with the 70ish analogue channels.

Is anyone having success at manual recordings of QAM channels with the S3?

Hows it going? Any anecdotes you'd wish to share?

Will several episodes of a repeating manual recording save in a common folder?

Can/does the TiVo access the PSIP information to label the show in "Now Playing"?

When I first moved back to Canada a few years ago I used my S1 in manual mode for years before "alternative" methods became available. So, recording manual channels is something I'm used to doing. I think that until OTA-HD guide data becomes available through Tribune to TiVo, I may very well use the S3 with only analogue and manual QAM channel recording capaibility.

That is assuming others are having success doing this?

...Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- Get the gifts you REALLY want! (now in public beta) -

Last edited by Dajad : 09-27-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Dajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
MickeS

"I think that until OTA-HD guide data becomes available through Tribune to TiVo, I may very well use the S3 with only analogue and manual QAM channel recording capaibility."

Not to derail the thread, but I'd be pissed if I was you and paid a subscription to TiVo for providing guide data, and they didn't do it...

I hope the Series 3 will be able to handle QAM mapping soon... but I doubt it...
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you don't mind paying $800 plus $7-$13 per month for basically VCR functionality then go for it. Although I think if I were you I'd probably just hold out until TiVo at least gets OTA data for your area.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
Dajad

Hey Dan, I still have my one-time grandfathered lifetime transfer right. So I won't have to pay monthly fees. Indeed, as per this thread , that is one of the SEVERAL reasons I'm skipping a dual-tuner S2 and jumping straight to the S3 - I refuse to pay monthly fees, I need a new TiVo to replace a glitchy Series 1, and I am willing to go through the early adopter agony (and price tag) so long as I'm getting SOMETHING of valye out of the box - until cablecards or OTA-HD works here (or I return stateside).

...Dale

Old 09-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
rickertk
Not quite new Member

My Cablecards are supposed to be installed on Saturday, so I've been using manual recordings of the clear QAM channels. I had already mapped the local broadcast networks HD (and SD subchannels) since my LG LCD TV has a QAM tuner, so it was just a matter of confirming the channel numbers and setting up repeating recordings. So far, that works as well as you might expect. The only quirk is that it sometimes wants to set up the same recording on both tuners (especially if you add padding to a single instance or do other changes to the recording options).The duplicate copies can be deleted from the To-Do list with no problems. I don't have any recordings of the same timeslot twice now, but I don't think it groups them. I have no PSIP data over QAM, so there's no interpretation of that.

Keith
rickertk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #6
Dajad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickertk
My Cablecards are supposed to be installed on Saturday, so I've been using manual recordings of the clear QAM channels. I had already mapped the local broadcast networks HD (and SD subchannels) since my LG LCD TV has a QAM tuner, so it was just a matter of confirming the channel numbers and setting up repeating recordings. So far, that works as well as you might expect. The only quirk is that it sometimes wants to set up the same recording on both tuners (especially if you add padding to a single instance or do other changes to the recording options).The duplicate copies can be deleted from the To-Do list with no problems. I don't have any recordings of the same timeslot twice now, but I don't think it groups them. I have no PSIP data over QAM, so there's no interpretation of that.

Keith
Thanks Keith, when you say you "already mapped the local broadcast networks" what do you mean. I thought we couldn't do any manual mapping of in-the-clear QAM signals? Also, how do these channels show up? For instance if I want to set up a recording of a QAM channel from 8:00 to 9:00 each Tuesday (House) are the "channels" given a number of some kind? How did you know what the number was?

As I understand it when you say you have a cable line up the S3 will somehow scan for in-the-clear digital stations, but I'm not sure how it reports those stations back to you? Can you give a few examples.

Many thanks.

...Dale

Old 09-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
John949
basic cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajad
Is anyone having success at manual recordings of QAM channels with the S3?

Hows it going? Any anecdotes you'd wish to share?
I have basic analog cable but I am recording several HDTV shows off the major networks each week. The recordings are working great. Of course there is no guide info to go with the channels. My Now Playing list just has a bunch of dates/times/channels. No titles are listed for these recordings. I am happy with the hardware but not so happy with the Tivo software/service.
John949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:38 PM   #8
rickertk
Not quite new Member

Quote:
Thanks Keith, when you say you "already mapped the local broadcast networks" what do you mean. I thought we couldn't do any manual mapping of in-the-clear QAM signals? Also, how do these channels show up? For instance if I want to set up a recording of a QAM channel from 8:00 to 9:00 each Tuesday (House) are the "channels" given a number of some kind? How did you know what the number was?

As I understand it when you say you have a cable line up the S3 will somehow scan for in-the-clear digital stations, but I'm not sure how it reports those stations back to you? Can you give a few examples.

Many thanks.

...Dale
What I mean by already mapping is that I and my wife had sat down with the LG TV and it's QAM tuner and figured out which channel number was which HD station (110-1 = our local CW station, 119-1 = PBS HD, 119-3 = PBS SD, 119-2 = CBS HD, etc.) The S3 and my LG TV are using the same channel numbers for the frequencies, so I just set up a manual recording for 110-1 Tuesday nights 8-9 to get Gilmore Girls. I can provide more details, but I'm not entirely sure what more you might want.

Keith
Old 09-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #9
Dajad

Quote:
Originally Posted by John949
I have basic analog cable but I am recording several HDTV shows off the major networks each week. The recordings are working great. Of course there is no guide info to go with the channels. My Now Playing list just has a bunch of dates/times/channels. No titles are listed for these recordings. I am happy with the hardware but not so happy with the Tivo software/service.
John, do you have any repeating recordings, eg: every Tuesday on Chanel X from 8:00 till 9:00. If so, do they put these identical shows into their own folder ... that would be ideal so, for instance, if I recorded an weeks worth of Charlie Rose through a manual recording they'd all show up in one folder. Makes sense to me.

...Dale

Old 09-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #10
Dajad

Quote:
What I mean by already mapping is that I and my wife had sat down with the LG TV and it's QAM tuner and figured out which channel number was which HD station (110-1 = our local CW station, 119-1 = PBS HD, 119-3 = PBS SD, 119-2 = CBS HD, etc.) The S3 and my LG TV are using the same channel numbers for the frequencies, so I just set up a manual recording for 110-1 Tuesday nights 8-9 to get Gilmore Girls. I can provide more details, but I'm not entirely sure what more you might want.

Keith
THanks Keith, that's exactly what I wanted to know ... except, does the weekly Gilmore Girls so recorded get put into a folder with prior-weeks recordings or do repeating manual recordings just get tossed into the one long Now Playing menu without any foldering for repeat shows?

...Dale

Old 09-28-2006, 01:19 PM   #11
rickertk
Not quite new Member

As I said in my earlier post, I don't have two copies of any particular repeating recordings on hand - I've had the S3 for just over a week, and have already watched the first few manual recordings on it. So I don't know if there's any grouping of manual recordings with no guide data. I'm supposed to get my Cablecards installed on Saturday; if that doesn't work or the installer doesn't show, then I might be able to answer the question.

Keith
Old 09-28-2006, 02:52 PM   #12
greenstork

Why is there no guide data for these QAM channels? I don't really understand what QAM is really but if I had to guess, I'd say that it's just cable over the cable line, before it hits a STB or CableCARD. It includes some digital, some analong, mostly SD, but HD locals are required by the FCC over QAM. Do I have it about right?

Aren't we paying for guide service from TiVo? I mean, what the heck are all of the monthly fees if we can't get a channel guide for certain tuners.

There should be a channel guide for OTA, correct?

My Tivo arrives today so please forgive the noob questions.
greenstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:01 PM   #13
Dajad

"Do I have it about right?"

Not exactly, on my ditigal cable tier, there are some 30+ in-the-clear QAM signals available. Some correspond to OTA analogue stations. Most do not. Every cable company seemingly chooses based on some unknown criteria which are there and which aren't. But more fundamentally, the cable company chooses where in the cable spectrum to carry the channel. TiVo has no ability to know where in that spectrum that channel will be carried. And it can change at the whim of the cable-co.

So, yes, TiVo will know, based on the zip code you provide, what local stations should be on the cable, but they won't know WHERE on the spectrum they are nor will they know which are in-the-clear and which are not.

...Dale

Old 09-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
woodie

I had success recording movies from StarsHD, while there was a promo, and they were in-th-clear.
I am thinking about pulling my cards this weekend to record Battlestar Ggallactica in HD from UHD,
which in not mapped by the cablecard. UHD is no longer available when the card are installed.
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #15
greenstork

Quote:
"Do I have it about right?"

Not exactly, on my ditigal cable tier, there are some 30+ in-the-clear QAM signals available. Some correspond to OTA analogue stations. Most do not. Every cable company seemingly chooses based on some unknown criteria which are there and which aren't. But more fundamentally, the cable company chooses where in the cable spectrum to carry the channel. TiVo has no ability to know where in that spectrum that channel will be carried. And it can change at the whim of the cable-co.

So, yes, TiVo will know, based on the zip code you provide, what local stations should be on the cable, but they won't know WHERE on the spectrum they are nor will they know which are in-the-clear and which are not.

...Dale
So is it safe to say that QAM is a neglected stepchild of cable co.'s, only in existence because of some FCC mandate? It doesn't sound like there's a lot of effort to make this tuner stream usable.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:18 PM   #16
rickertk
Not quite new Member

QAM is how all digital cable channels on your cable stream are carried (some encrypted, some not). However, the cable company digital cable boxes have a table that translates the user-entered channel number (which is what they make available to the public) into the direct QAM frequency. Say, on my system Channel 240 becomes 119-1. Chanel 435 becomes 79-17 (or something like that). With a Series3 Tivo, the CableCard can also do that, and so you can get interpretable guide data for the digital channels. Without a Cablecard, you can tune any unencrypted channels, but there's no good mechanism for figuring out which digital frequency corresponds to which published channel number.

Keith
Old 09-28-2006, 05:25 PM   #17
greenstork

Quote:
QAM is how all digital cable channels on your cable stream are carried (some encrypted, some not). However, the cable company digital cable boxes have a table that translates the user-entered channel number (which is what they make available to the public) into the direct QAM frequency. Say, on my system Channel 240 becomes 119-1. Chanel 435 becomes 79-17 (or something like that). With a Series3 Tivo, the CableCard can also do that, and so you can get interpretable guide data for the digital channels. Without a Cablecard, you can tune any unencrypted channels, but there's no good mechanism for figuring out which digital frequency corresponds to which published channel number.

Keith
I think I'm getting it now. It's more like a raw tuner stream, with some encrypted content and some "in-the-clear" channels. To really interpret which frequency belongs to which channel, and decode it in some cases, you need some cable company device like a STB or a CC.

The way cable companies manages the frequencies in this raw stream is entirely up to them, as long as their STBs and CCs can figure it out.

So why can't you map a QAM channel on the TiVo, like tell it that this QAM frequency is NBC and let it acquire use what it knows to be the NBC Comcast guide data for my geographic area?

Seeing as how I'm actually going to acquire two CableCARDs, I guess I shouldn't be all that concerned, but I'm just curious, and thanks to those who have responded already.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #18
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie
I had success recording movies from StarsHD, while there was a promo, and they were in-th-clear.
I am thinking about pulling my cards this weekend to record Battlestar Ggallactica in HD from UHD,
which in not mapped by the cablecard. UHD is no longer available when the card are installed.
Why would you have to pull the cards? Can't you just set a manually recording for the QAM channel that is UHD? Why is this different whether the cards are installed or not?

Edit: just saw your thread about loosing some QAM with CC installed. strange
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4424404

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...eply&p=4427652
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
You can't tune QAM directly if you use cable cards.

Last edited by greg_burns : 09-28-2006 at 09:36 PM.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #19
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstork
So why can't you map a QAM channel on the TiVo, like tell it that this QAM frequency is NBC and let it acquire use what it knows to be the NBC Comcast guide data for my geographic area?
Software currently doesn't have that feature is all. Hopefully that will change.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:29 PM   #20
rainwater

Quote:
Adding this feature is not that complicated. Since you tell it which cable system you use during setup, it already knows what channels you can get (just with QAM some will be encrypted). So the guide data will be there. Just in the case of in the clear qam, you will get less channels than using a cable card but the channels you do get will already have the guide data. The only issue is if TiVo is going to add this feature or whether they never will. It should be an easy question to answer, but in the great TiVo tradition, we will probably never get a straight answer for a long time.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:58 PM   #21
greenstork

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
Adding this feature is not that complicated. Since you tell it which cable system you use during setup, it already knows what channels you can get (just with QAM some will be encrypted). So the guide data will be there. Just in the case of in the clear qam, you will get less channels than using a cable card but the channels you do get will already have the guide data. The only issue is if TiVo is going to add this feature or whether they never will. It should be an easy question to answer, but in the great TiVo tradition, we will probably never get a straight answer for a long time.
Well, the Cable Co.'s probably don't want TiVo mapping QAM frequencies to channels, they'd prefer everyone rented a STB or at the very least, a CableCARD. It seems like TiVo would do well to placate them on minor issues such as this if it meant the addition of MRV and/or T2G. It could be about picking their battles I suppose.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #22
rainwater

Quote:
Well, the Cable Co.'s probably don't want TiVo mapping QAM frequencies to channels, they'd prefer everyone rented a STB or at the very least, a CableCARD. It seems like TiVo would do well to placate them on minor issues such as this if it meant the addition of MRV and/or T2G. It could be about picking their battles I suppose.
I don't think the CableLabs can legally deny this request, so it should be a non-issue. Sony had no problems adding this feature so why should TiVo? I'm not buying the excuses for everything being CableLabs' fault.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #23
John949
basic cable

Quote:
John, do you have any repeating recordings, eg: every Tuesday on Chanel X from 8:00 till 9:00. If so, do they put these identical shows into their own folder ... that would be ideal so, for instance, if I recorded an weeks worth of Charlie Rose through a manual recording they'd all show up in one folder.
I have watched and deleted my recordings so I actually don't know yet. Guess I could try setting a daily recording and we will know in a couple of days. It would be nice if a folder is created for these.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:30 PM   #24
kbs

Quote:

Keith
Hey Keith,
Does your LG's QAM tuner know which channels are which? In other words, does it respond as if its getting PSIP or other data to tell it that 110-1 is your CW station, or did you just surf around and figure it out on your own?

I've posted on this other thread that it seems like according to the FCC, any 'digital cable ready' device should be able to interpret PSIP and allow you to navigate channels based on that info. The main question was whether any of our cable providers actually are sending that info...
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4426688

-kbs
kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:44 PM   #25
John949
basic cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs
Does your LG's QAM tuner know which channels are which? In other words, does it respond as if its getting PSIP or other data to tell it that 110-1 is your CW station, or did you just surf around and figure it out on your own?
The question was directed towards Keith but I can respond. I have a Vizio LCD HDTV. It can tune clear QAM digital channels. For some of the channels the TV can show program information as well as the local name ie: KABC-HD. It is only the major networks that have this information; CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox. For other clear QAM channels I had to surf around to find out what they were.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #26
kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John949
The question was directed towards Keith but I can respond. I have a Vizio LCD HDTV. It can tune clear QAM digital channels. For some of the channels the TV can show program information as well as the local name ie: KABC-HD. It is only the major networks that have this information; CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox. For other clear QAM channels I had to surf around to find out what they were.
Thanks John949!

Just to verify... This is with no cableCard in your VizioTV, right? So the Vizio is responding to some channel info being sent by PSIP or out-of-band signal.

If you connect your Series3 to the same cable feed with no cableCard installed,
does it also know which QAM channel is KABC-HD, or CBS, etc?

If not, I would say that the Tivo is not compliant with the FCC ruling, and shouldn't be marketing itself as being cable-ready. (see this post)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4427399

-kbs
Old 09-28-2006, 10:22 PM   #27
rickertk
Not quite new Member

Comcast doesn't seem to put out any PSIP data on the cable where I am - neither the LG nor the Series 3 gets anything. I just had to surf around and figure it out. The ever present channel bugs did make that easier for a lot of channels.
Keith
Old 09-28-2006, 10:52 PM   #28
kbs

Quote:
Comcast doesn't seem to put out any PSIP data on the cable where I am - neither the LG nor the Series 3 gets anything.
Keith
That does seem strange. The broadcasters have had to include PSIP since February, 2005. Obviously, John949's cable company is sending some of those signals along. I think it is unlikely that none of your local channels are providing PSIP to Comcast, and more likely that Comcast is refusing to forward that information (in violation of FCC mandate. ) http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4426688

Some more interesting info on PSIP:
http://www.atsc.org/faq/faq_psip.html
http://psip.org/
http://www.nab.org/AM/Template.cfm?S...ContentID=5508

-kbs
Old 09-29-2006, 03:11 AM   #29
Phantom Gremlin

I'm sceptical there really is an FCC mandate for PSIP. My local Comcast certainly doesn't provide it. Doubtlessly Comcast has many highly paid lawyers on staff that keep them from needing to bother with things like this. Either that or they're so incompetent that they haven't gotten around to it some 19 months after they had to!

Just to confirm that I'm ranting about apples vs apples, I have an LG standalone tuner, LST-4200A. It displays program guide, time, channel mapping etc for OTA HD. But nothing for any of the clear QAM from Comcast. The same program guide etc should also be in the QAM stream?
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:17 AM   #30
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin
I'm sceptical there really is an FCC mandate for PSIP. My local Comcast certainly doesn't provide it. Doubtlessly Comcast has many highly paid lawyers on staff that keep them from needing to bother with things like this. Either that or they're so incompetent that they haven't gotten around to it some 19 months after they had to!

Just to confirm that I'm ranting about apples vs apples, I have an LG standalone tuner, LST-4200A. It displays program guide, time, channel mapping etc for OTA HD. But nothing for any of the clear QAM from Comcast. The same program guide etc should also be in the QAM stream?
I have a PC tuner card that can capture OTA & unencrypted QAM. I can then check for PSIP information using TSReaderLite. I can confirm there are some channels where the PSIP information is dropped via the cable company re-transmission (the OTA one of course has the information). Then again there are a couple of channels where PSIP information is passed through. So it's not consistent at least for my headend (Cox, Orange County, CA). And as has been reported others don't see any PSIP info either so each headend looks to be different and don't seem to be complying with any particular mandates.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote