TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
wp746911

2 tivo hd annoyances/confusions- no record highlight, and no cablecard scan

2 annoyances I wish could be fixed
1)When a program is scheduled to be recorded, it doesn't show up with any hint that it will be recorded on the guide (until the recording starts). I have to go to the tivo menu and pull up scheduled recordings to see... Is there some way to tell easily from the guide if a program is set to record in the future? My stupid cable dvr would make all scheduled programs red so it was obvious...

2)I have a cable card but have reduced my lineup. The old fancy channels won't tune in anymore but still show up in the guide. The Tivo on-set help said you can't scan for channels if you use a cable card. Is there anyway to have it only display those channels I should be getting?? I'm guessing my cable card is showing that I have more channles than I should. I know I can manually add/delete the channels, but that would take forever...
wp746911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
1)When a program is scheduled to be recorded, it doesn't show up with any hint that it will be recorded on the guide (until the recording starts). I have to go to the tivo menu and pull up scheduled recordings to see... Is there some way to tell easily from the guide if a program is set to record in the future? My stupid cable dvr would make all scheduled programs red so it was obvious...

2)I have a cable card but have reduced my lineup. The old fancy channels won't tune in anymore but still show up in the guide. The Tivo on-set help said you can't scan for channels if you use a cable card. Is there anyway to have it only display those channels I should be getting?? I'm guessing my cable card is showing that I have more channles than I should. I know I can manually add/delete the channels, but that would take forever...
#1) Working as designed

#2) The cablecard channel map isnt unique to you... its a system wide channel list. To remove channels from the guide, you need to remove them manually OR setting the channels you like as favorites and set the guide to show 'favorites'.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
rainwater

Settings/Channels/Channel List. Uncheck all the channels you do not receive. Otherwise, any wishlists will not work correctly, and searches will bring up results for channels you do not receive.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
I agree that this would be a nice feature to have. Other DVRs have had it for quite a while but TiVo has so far declined to add it. I'm not sure if it's been left out for philosophical or technical reasons.

On the channel lineup you could try re-running guided setup to see if that channel package you have now is a separate option. If the cable company puts a signal on the channel there's no other way for TiVo to determine whether or not you recieve it.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
rainwater

The CableCard provides a map of all of the digital channels. However, there is no way for TiVo to know whether it can tune any of the available channels without tuning it first. So, the TiVo can't possibly know which of the channels you actually receive. This part you have to do in the settings.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
bkdtv

As others have noted, you need to remove the channels you do not want from the Channel List under Settings -> Channels.

If you have a universal remote, like a Harmony, you can set your remote to take you directly to the To Do List so you don't have to navigate menus to see upcoming recordings.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

You don't need a fancy remote to go directly to the To Do list - just press TiVo then 2.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #8
LifeIsABeach

1) The quickest way to see if something is set to record is to hit the record button while highlighting it in the TiVo Guide. The message which pops up will let you know if it is scheduled to record or not.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
robin50

Quote:
annoyances...When a program is scheduled to be recorded, it doesn't show up with any hint that it will be recorded on the guide
It blows my mind that the vaunted Tivo software does not show to-be-recorded programs in the guide. Because of this, when I first got my S3 I called support to see if there was something wrong with my unit. After all these years why is this common-sense feature not in the software? Is this a daunting programming task? Long-time Tivo owners: has this feature never been in any iteration of Tivo software?
robin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:15 PM   #10
wp746911

thanks for all the feedback. So the cablecard scan issue I will just have to fix myself by deselecting channels- fine by me. The lack of showing scheduled recordings on the guide screen is pretty poor. Maybe we could ask tivo to fix it??
wp746911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
BanditWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin50 View Post
Long-time Tivo owners: has this feature never been in any iteration of Tivo software?
I've been using a Series2 for several years and have never seen that feature, so I doubt it has ever existed on TiVo software. But oddly, it never occurred to me that this would be a useful feature until I set up my TiVo HD a few days ago. You're right, it would be helpful if there was some kind of highlight or icon on to-be-recorded programs in the guide.
BanditWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:13 AM   #12
bkdtv

Quote:
thanks for all the feedback. So the cablecard scan issue I will just have to fix myself by deselecting channels- fine by me. The lack of showing scheduled recordings on the guide screen is pretty poor. Maybe we could ask tivo to fix it??
A high percentage of TiVo owners do not use the program guide on a regular basis, which is probably has a lot to do with why TiVo hasn't made that more of a priority. I probably hit my guide button once or twice a week at most.

After you've setup season passes for all your favorite series and autorecord wishlists for your favorite subjects, sports teams, movies, and actors/actresses, why do you need to view the program guide?

My TiVo is set to automatically record all my favorite series, my favorite news programs, my favorite college teams (minus sports I don't care about), Redskins games, Capitals games, all presidential debates, 2007 HD movies, 2006 HD action movies, HD movies with my favorite actors and actresses, certain history and health topics, etc. The TiVo does this all on its own without the need to check the guide. When I read about some new program in the news, I find it with a title search and create a recording or season pass from there.

I am certainly not opposed to a "red dot" in the guide. It won't help me, but I do agree it would be a worthwhile improvement for those that do spend more time in the guide. But I can understand why it hasn't been a top priority for TiVo, since it is designed to do more of the "work" for you, eliminating the need to create recordings from the guide on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Rocket View Post
You don't need a fancy remote to go directly to the To Do list - just press TiVo then 2.
Until TiVo adds a "red dot" to their guide, use that shortcut to go directly to the To Do List.

Last edited by bkdtv : 12-30-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #13
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
1)When a program is scheduled to be recorded, it doesn't show up with any hint that it will be recorded on the guide (until the recording starts).
A common request of new TiVo users, right behind FSI and "the little live TV box when viewing the guide". A wild guess is the tech challenge (and processor overhead) of merging upcoming recording data with guide display is too taxing.

Quote:
2)I have a cable card but have reduced my lineup. The old fancy channels won't tune in anymore but still show up in the guide. <snip> I know I can manually add/delete the channels, but that would take forever...
As others have mentioned, go to Setup and unclick the dead channels. It doesn't take forever; fast fingers & a quick mind can prolly do it in less then three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
A high percentage of TiVo owners do not use the program guide on a regular basis, which is probably has a lot to do with why TiVo hasn't made that more of a priority. I probably hit my guide button once or twice a week at most.
While I understand your point and viewing methodology, I don't know how you can say "high percentage", unless there was a study sometime in the recent past. I am a heavy TiVo user also, with 45 SPs and 52 WL (and that's just S3 #1). But I still use the guide several times a week. Sometimes I just want to see what interesting shows are coming up on DiscHD Theater. Or I want to see what movies are premiering on my pay channels (set the guide to Sat 7PM, and scroll down). I would bet a healthy percent DO use the guide several times a week. And it would be very handy to have that red dot. One of the very few features on my SA8300HD that I wish TiVo would pick up.

ETA: bkdtv...other than your perverse fascination with teams called "Washington...", our To-Do List has some amazing overlap. Even down to the ARWL 2007:HD/Movies
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #14
bgtees

Wow, I really wish I hadn't read this since I haven't actually ordered my TivoHD yet. What possible reason could there be for not having some sort of indication in the channel guide for what shows will be recorded? ReplayTV had this feature going back to the beginning; even the two cable company DVR's I've had have both offered this feature.

I just don't understand why Tivo seems to have this pathological need to decide what's "best" for its users. This level of hand holding it what's kept me from going with Tivo for years, but since it's the only HD option these days.....

I just can't wait for all the "Why isn't Project Whatever gonna record" questions.
bgtees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #15
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtees View Post
I just don't understand why Tivo seems to have this pathological need to decide what's "best" for its users. This level of hand holding it what's kept me from going with Tivo for years, but since it's the only HD option these days.....
Yeah... How dare they think they have the right to design their product their way.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #16
bkdtv

TiVo did develop a new guide from scratch for the Comcast TiVo software, so it is something they are working on. See photo below:

Credit for image to Steve Garfield. Click for more photos.

Note the icon in the guide next to each recorded program.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:29 PM   #17
bgtees

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Yeah... How dare they think they have the right to design their product their way.
No matter how much you act like a Tivo Fanboy, it won't change the fact that this is a feature that most consumers expect when purchasing a DVR.
bgtees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #18
SCSIRAID

Quote:
No matter how much you act like a Tivo Fanboy, it won't change the fact that this is a feature that most consumers expect when purchasing a DVR.
I never said it wasnt a desirable feature.... I would love to have it along with several other things. However, I basically question your seeming view of 'big brother-ism' with TiVo having a 'pathological need of controlling what is best for its customer' (your words, not mine) like somehow they are plotting against you. Get a grip. I dont believe they are witholding this feature just to pi$$ you off. Companies all across the world balance development expenses, cost, requirements and priorities in creating their products. The marketplace determines whether they did a good job or not.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #19
TexasAg

Quote:
Your support for saying that "most consumers expect" this feature is what exactly?

And just an FYI - you should lay off on the name-calling, esp. given your extensive history of providing useful info on this forum for all of one whole week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
I never said it wasnt a desirable feature.... I would love to have it along with several other things. However, I basically question your seeming view of 'big brother-ism' with TiVo having a 'pathological need of controlling what is best for its customer' (your words, not mine) like somehow they are plotting against you. Get a grip. I dont believe they are witholding this feature just to pi$$ you off. Companies all across the world balance development expenses, cost, requirements and priorities in creating their products. The marketplace determines whether they did a good job or not.
Yeah, what he said.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #20
rickmeoff

Quote:
Wow, I really wish I hadn't read this since I haven't actually ordered my TivoHD yet. What possible reason could there be for not having some sort of indication in the channel guide for what shows will be recorded?

they probably did this just to piss you off.

Quote:

perhaps its gonna keep you 'from going with tivo' for even more years, as it really sounds like youd be very unhappy with it.

i think its a GOOD thing you read this thread, as its possibly preventing you from making a huge mistake.

take a look at dtv and their hr20, it might be more to your liking..........unless their pathological need in deciding not to include dlb will deter you.
rickmeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #21
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
TiVo did develop a new guide from scratch for the Comcast TiVo software, so it is something they are working on. See photo below:
I would imagine Comcast had a lot of say in certain features they required for the software. So it doesn't mean that TiVo will be adding it to standalone boxes. I certainly can't imagine there being a technical reason they don't show it.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #22
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Wow, I really wish I hadn't read this since I haven't actually ordered my TivoHD yet.
A TiVo is a fresh approach to watching TV. Either you want one--and get one--or you don't. If you are going to let something like this be a determining factor, how will you ever be happy with ANY consumer product? I love my TiVos, and have two S3s, and a retired S2. There are improvements I would love to see, such as the one in this thread, or an FSI. But they won't keep me from my TiVo.

I will not watch TV without a TiVo, if I can help it. Ever. Again. And I've felt this way since my first one years ago.

Let me ask my question again, because you will never be happy unless you come to grips with this: If you are going to let something like this be a determining factor, how will you ever be happy with ANY consumer product?

ETA: or what rickmeof said while I was typing . . .
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #23
bizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeoff View Post
take a look at dtv and their hr20, it might be more to your liking..........unless their pathological need in deciding not to include dlb will deter you.
If dual live buffers were the only thing missing from the HR20, it wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately, it also misses recordings, which is less understandable. Even more amusing was when it refused to play programs it actually managed to record.

Seriously, the next time you think Tivo is 'pathological', give the HR20 a try.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #24
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
If dual live buffers were the only thing missing from the HR20, it wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately, it also misses recordings, which is less understandable. Even more amusing was when it refused to play programs it actually managed to record.
My favorite bug with the Motorola QIP6416 from Verizon was when it wouldn't record a scheduled show, then when you tried to manually record it you'd get a message saying the show as already being recorded. That lasted until the day the S3 came out.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote