TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Dajad

Does the S3 Support Video Podcasts?

I subscribe to a few video podcasts through iTunes but they tend to pile up because, frankly, watching video on my computer is not something I like to do. But if I could watch them on my TV I'd be much more likely to watch them during TV-time.

I know the S2 and S3 support audio podcasts but do they support video podcasts as well? If so, what video podcasts formats do they support?

...Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- Get the gifts you REALLY want! (now in public beta) -

Dajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Dajad

I started this thread in the wrong forum and moved it here. In the other forum rainwater answered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
On the S2, you can use something like Galleon to download video podcasts and automatically convert them. Then using TTG to transfer them to the TiVo. However, since its disabled in the S3, you can't even do that.

And, I wouldn't say the S2/S3 has podcast support. It has limited podcast streaming support that doesn't allow you to easily configure podcasts or even pause them once you start a podcast. Frankly, I am surprised TiVo hasn't jumped on the podcast/vidcast bandwagon and provided a TiVo only solution for internet connected TiVos.
Ouch!!! That's sure not what I was expecting! No abilty to puase, fast forward, rewind!? What's the point then. I was hoping there was some kind of an iTunes iterrface in the S2/S3 for podcast playback.

TiVo won't work with OTA HD (no guide data) or cablecard HD (no cableco support) in Canada so I'm looking for almost any excuse to purchase one. I"m not finding it yet!!!

Ugh!

...Dale

Old 09-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

As rainwater said video transfers of all kinds, even those from PC to TiVo, have been disabled on the S3. So as of right now the answer is no.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
As rainwater said video transfers of all kinds, even those from PC to TiVo, have been disabled on the S3. So as of right now the answer is no.

Dan
Since the S3 supports more file formats, there's no reason they couldn't build in a real video cast client (hme app) that downloads video casts directly to the now playing list. However, they have been resistant to even updating the current podcast app to even be usable. They cite restrictions in HME that prevent them from using the hard drive. I would buy that except they control the HME api, so that could make changes to support real podcasting. If a tiny PSP can integrate a podcast/video cast client that supports real streaming and automatic downloading, then the TiVo should be able to.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajad
I started this thread in the wrong forum and moved it here. In the other forum rainwater answered...

Ouch!!! That's sure not what I was expecting! No abilty to puase, fast forward, rewind!? What's the point then. I was hoping there was some kind of an iTunes iterrface in the S2/S3 for podcast playback.

TiVo won't work with OTA HD (no guide data) or cablecard HD (no cableco support) in Canada so I'm looking for almost any excuse to purchase one. I"m not finding it yet!!!

Ugh!

...Dale
If you are already running a home network and have an iTunes install already downloading podcasts, you can share its download directory(ies) with TiVo Desktop to take full advantage of ff, rw, pause, etc. It's not as integrated as a true on-board podcast client would be, but if you're a heavy podcast subscriber it's better than the limited one TiVo offers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
If a tiny PSP can integrate a podcast/video cast client that supports real streaming and automatic downloading, then the TiVo should be able to.
The 'tiny' PSP has actually got quite a bit more power than an S2, and even an S3, in some ways.

I agree that TiVo should provide an api for loading data (video, audio, etc.)into the box, both to further their own projects, and for third parties to build upon.

/edit: Changed 'video' to 'data'...referring to loading audio podcasts, and video, as well as other data.

Last edited by gonzotek : 09-25-2006 at 08:05 PM.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
Dajad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
If you are already running a home network and have an iTunes install already downloading podcasts, you can share its download directory(ies) with TiVo Desktop to take full advantage of ff, rw, pause, etc. It's not as integrated as a true on-board podcast client would be, but if you're a heavy podcast subscriber it's better than the limited one TiVo offers.The 'tiny' PSP has actually got quite a bit more power than an S2, and even an S3, in some ways.
I don't understand this gonzotek. I've used S1s since October of 1999 but have never used an S2. So I don't know how iTunes is integrated with it. Yes I have iTunes, Yes I have a home ntetwork.

When you say I can use the TiVo Desktop I assume you mean an application running on my computer. Does that translate into something that is usable by a home network connected S3 and visible on my TV? I will never want to do audio podcasts through the TiVo, my iPod is where I listen to them. But can this set up you are describing be used by my S3, conntected to my home network and viewable on the TV. I don't want to be using a desktop application to view it on my computer - iTunes already does this.

...Dale

Old 09-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajad
I don't understand this gonzotek. I've used S1s since October of 1999 but have never used an S2. So I don't know how iTunes is integrated with it. Yes I have iTunes, Yes I have a home ntetwork.

When you say I can use the TiVo Desktop I assume you mean an application running on my computer. Does that translate into something that is usable by a home network connected S3 and visible on my TV? I will never want to do audio podcasts through the TiVo, my iPod is where I listen to them. But can this set up you are describing be used by my S3, conntected to my home network and viewable on the TV. I don't want to be using a desktop application to view it on my computer - iTunes already does this.

...Dale
On the S2 today, you can use TiVo desktop to stream mp3s and jpgs to TiVo. I believe this functionality to also exist on the S3. It(tivo desktop) runs on a mac or a pc and shares given directories with the tivo. From the tivo, you can browse the directories and listen to music or view pictures, from the directories you're sharing in TiVo Desktop. It is also possible to share video, although that feature currently doesn't exist on the S3. Video can be uploaded (not streamed) to an S2, but it has to be within a particular set of parameters within the MPEG2 standard. Rainwater mentioned using galleon, one piece of third party software that can share video podcast downloads with an S2.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:23 AM   #8
samo

Quote:
Hi Dale,
I wonder what makes you want S3 that bad? You know that you don't have to explain to me all the wishlist and suggestions advantages (we joined this board on a same day 7 years ago after all ), but it must be a reason you don't want to just get Bell Expressvu unit that is basically Dish 622. To my knowledge this unit should be just as good as 622 and it does have FSI .
Seriously, besides dedication to TiVo, what makes you want crippled unit that doesn't allow you to do just about anything. Even here in US I would never consider getting S3 just because it doesn't support PPV. I don't have HDTV yet (still waiting for a price of large screen LCD to come down a bit), but as soon as I'm ready I'll be getting H20 or 622 or possibly both (I sub to programming from both Dish and DTV and with 4 antennas my house looks like NASA center ).
samo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:15 AM   #9
thein

Awesome suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek
If you are already running a home network and have an iTunes install already downloading podcasts, you can share its download directory(ies) with TiVo Desktop to take full advantage of ff, rw, pause, etc. It's not as integrated as a true on-board podcast client would be, but if you're a heavy podcast subscriber it's better than the limited one TiVo offers.
Outstanding suggestion! I had already shared my MP3s and JPGs... but didn't think to share the podcast directory.

Of course the video podcasts wont be viewable *YET*. It will be interesting to see how the S3 deals with enhanced content podcasts.

THANKS
thein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
Dajad

Thanks gonzo ... I think I get it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo
Hi Dale,
I wonder what makes you want S3 that bad? You know that you don't have to explain to me all the wishlist and suggestions advantages (we joined this board on a same day 7 years ago after all ), but it must be a reason you don't want to just get Bell Expressvu unit that is basically Dish 622. To my knowledge this unit should be just as good as 622 and it does have FSI .
Seriously, besides dedication to TiVo, what makes you want crippled unit that doesn't allow you to do just about anything. Even here in US I would never consider getting S3 just because it doesn't support PPV. I don't have HDTV yet (still waiting for a price of large screen LCD to come down a bit), but as soon as I'm ready I'll be getting H20 or 622 or possibly both (I sub to programming from both Dish and DTV and with 4 antennas my house looks like NASA center ).
Samo ... it should all be clear to you as soon as I say "Grandfathered rights"! I have been one of the most vocal proponents of lifetime subscriptions on this forum since day one (with iVOD and FSI being my other long carried torches).

A dual S2 would be my best option now but, alas, I can only transfer my lifetime once. If the lifetime option existed today, I would probably transfer my granfathered lifetime to a dual S2 now and then purchase a new lifetime subscription at some point in the future with the purchase of an S3 then. However, because I know I can never purchase a lifetime sub again, I only want to transfer it to a future-proof device.

I make a good income and money is not really an object to me. But, I REFUSE to pay recurring subscription fees PERIOD!!! I'm almost happy to pay a whacky price of $1,000 (Canadian) to get a barely functional S3 so that I don't have to pay recurring subscription fees in the future. That's how much this issue means to me. It's not the ultimate price that matters so much to me as the certainty as to how much I have to pay. I know others are fine with recurring fees. I'm not. I want to buy my products, pay for them once and be done with it (and, before any newbs want to launch into the, you buy cable and cell phone service don't you --- Trust me, we/I really don't want to have that debate for the 1'00th time!!!!)

Another thing Samo is that I've had a long standing problem with one of my S1s. It is a 200 gig refurbished unit I bought awhile back. There is a glitch that I've investigated for countless hours that I can't resolve. When I fast forward and rewind in some shows, the screen drops, requiring me to turn my TV off and on for it to come back. I know its not a problem with my TV (alone) because the same problem never occurs when using my other TiVo with the same TV, through the same S-video inputs. I even went as far as to replace the TV with an identical model under my Dell warranty and the problem continues. So its my S1 or that particular S1 in combo with my TV causing the problem. The problem is REALLY irksome.

I do use the 8300 HD PVR from Rogers for my HD PVR needs today. If you have ever used it you'll know why I want to drop it out my 26th floor window onto a Rogers representative when I get the chance. I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT, but I have no option (interestingly it has two things I do like, PiP and a free space indicator - go figure, THE product I hate the most in this world has one of the only remaining features I STILL want to see on a future TiVo - an FSI!)

As for Bell ExpressVu, they do not carry many of the channels I consider essential, including MSNBC and Fox News. What good is a TV Service that doesn't carry the content I need.

And, one more thing, there is ALWAYS a looming possibility of my moving back state-side. If/when I do, as an S3 owner, I'll be able to use its full functionality there.

And one more one more thing. I suspect it is only a matter of time before Tribune starts to carry Canadian HD OTA data, since they have everything else for Canada. At that time the OTA recording should be possible for me - likely within a year or less I'd guess.

...Dale.

Last edited by Dajad : 09-26-2006 at 10:29 AM.