TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
BGreenstone

Random Channel / Tuner Loss

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem: My S3 seems to randomly lose channels, and occasionally all channels will go dead and the diagnostic screen says "Not Tuned' for each tuner, and it is apparently trying to retune. Sometimes just one channel will go dead. Then sometimes a block of channels will go dead. But then sometimes every channel goes dead.

The cable is working fine as best I can tell because if I use the TV's tuner the channels are all there. Rebooting the Tivo doesn't seem to fix it. It'll just randomly come back.

My signal strength is high (95%), so it's not a weak signal problem.

Any thoughts?

-Brian

Last edited by BGreenstone : 09-23-2006 at 09:48 PM.
BGreenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
razor237

I had a some what similar trouble, I was channel surfing on one tunner, but i was going through the channels fast and when i stoped on a channel it was just a black screen. Then a diag screen popped up saying something about card one not authorized ...hmmm .. so i switched to tunner two went to same channel and it came up fine .... went back to tunner one and most channels would come up ..... 2- 11 and my hd channels worked but nothing else. so i rebooted my tivo and all has been ok so far . Im thinking i was going through the channels a little to fast and maybe the card kept trying to tune channel as fast as i was changing and some how lost its authentication from the cable company and was waiting to get i back..... I should have waited a few minutes to see if thats what the trouble was but i rebooted ...... I will not change the channels as fast and see if it happens again

-Mike
razor237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
sommerfeld
Lucky (?) 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGreenstone
I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem: My S3 seems to randomly lost channels, and occasionally all channels will go dead and the diagnostic screen says "Not Tuned' for each tuner, and it is apparently trying to retune. Sometimes just one channel will go dead. Then sometimes a block of channels will go dead. But then sometimes every channel goes dead.
Just saw something similar happen with analog cable (tivo reported "searching for signal" when surfing through a bunch of analog channels in the 50-90 range).
sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
tunnelengineer

yep, me too. I have a few random channels in the analog arnge that won't display. No errors on the cablecard either. This is wierd.
tunnelengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
BL

I think the cablecard can overload. I was checking my channels today and after I had run through a bunch, cable card 1 would not display. I switched to No. 2 and it was fine, and after a few minutes went back to No. 1 and it was fine. I think they just
can't handle a lot of sequential channel changes.

A fine design--no one ever surfs!
Old 09-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
diamar

I just had the same thing happen today w/analog channels...but time seemed to heal it
diamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
sjxmang

I've had a similar problem , but when it has occurred (couple of times) I have switched over to my tv (with own cable card) and it has the same problem... I suspect it's a comcast issue..
sjxmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
tunnelengineer

not in my case. normal tv shows the missing tivo analog channels just fine. it's only a problem on the tivo
tunnelengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #9
sommerfeld
Lucky (?) 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommerfeld
Just saw something similar happen with analog cable (tivo reported "searching for signal" when surfing through a bunch of analog channels in the 50-90 range).
Some further experimentation showed symptoms consistent with one of the two tuners being unable to receive channels above 58 or 59; the first tuner active after a restart could pull it off, while the second couldn't.

I have some trouble with weak/poor analog cable signal strength and will see if this happens after they tune it up.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:05 PM   #10
Cloud

I have no CC's installed. I have analog cable screwed into the back of the tivo. On occasion it won't tune channels 3 through 6. Once it was tuned in fine on 3 and then started flickering to a gray screen until it finally stopped displaying channel 3...

The signal is fine.. Not sure why the tivo tuners won't tune 3 - 6 on occasion. This was just after set up. It went away 30 min later. Will keep an eye on it.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:23 AM   #11
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

I'm experiencing the same thing with some analog cable channels - 50-54 mostly, but sometimes 45-54. But just on one tuner. When this happens the other tuner works fine, but one tuner says it can't get a signal and advises troubleshooting.

Unfortunately, channel 51 is Cartoon Network - one of my most recorded channels (Adult Swim), so I discovered this with a number of bad recordings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:24 PM   #12
bocktar

My honeymoon with the S3 has apparently ended as well. It ran for a week OTA-only with no problems whatsoever.

Six hours after successful installation of both CableCards, about 20% of my channel lineup disappeared. I'm all digital.

Four hours later, they all came back.

Four hours after that, the same 20% went away again, and they've been gone since.

Same symptoms. Good signal strength, diagnostics show "NOT TUNED."

Based on the threads similar to this one, I'm starting to get the impression that this isn't the cable company's problem.
bocktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
chipvideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocktar
My honeymoon with the S3 has apparently ended as well. It ran for a week OTA-only with no problems whatsoever.

Six hours after successful installation of both CableCards, about 20% of my channel lineup disappeared. I'm all digital.

Four hours later, they all came back.

Four hours after that, the same 20% went away again, and they've been gone since.

Same symptoms. Good signal strength, diagnostics show "NOT TUNED."

Based on the threads similar to this one, I'm starting to get the impression that this isn't the cable company's problem.

Another failed recording. 2 minutes into cbs's 8 oclock show it gives me a black screen so I go into menu and it shows not tuned down the board. I then cancle the recording and it comes back. I am getting great signal and just keep getting tuner loss on this tivo. All other tv's work fine with comcast dvr's.

Not sure if it is one tuner or what. It was tuner 1. Tuner 0 was fine.

Why is it they show 0 for the first tuner and 1 for the second. You would think it would be labeld 1 and 2.

Looks like another couple days and I might just bring this back to circuitcity and cancle my tivo subscription. Tivo better give my upfront $299 back.

This box is plagued.
chipvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:34 PM   #14
hickerson

Same problem here. My analog channels from 38-49 don't show up on Cable Card 2. Very fustrating. I feel sorry for the cable tech who spent an hour today trying to fix it, and is coming back on Friday. I guess it is time to call TiVo support.
hickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:14 PM   #15
chipvideo

Now my channel 107 HD CBS in Seattle is pixelating.

Another thing I noticed is this is the same channel that has been having problems the whole time. Last week survivor recorded for 3 minutes. Same thing tonight on same channel at same time. Now pixelating on this channel only.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:38 AM   #16
sommerfeld
Lucky (?) 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommerfeld
Some further experimentation showed symptoms consistent with one of the two tuners being unable to receive channels above 58 or 59; the first tuner active after a restart could pull it off, while the second couldn't.
okay, over the past couple days I've spent approximately three hours on the phone with various tivo CSR's exploring this issue. (One of my calls was cut off when my cordless phone ran out of battery). After going through assorted troubleshooting steps (mostly repeating stuff I tried on my own), I'm now at a stage where the case has *finally* been escalated to engineering, which is apparently a prerequisite to an exchange being authorized. Let's see what happens...
Old 09-28-2006, 11:37 PM   #17
doctord

I am having a similar problem. See Here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=319415

Last edited by doctord : 09-28-2006 at 11:59 PM.
doctord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #18
g808

I'm suffering from this same problem. For me the issue is always with tuner 1 (tuner 2 is fine). I'm not receiving channels in the range from 35-53 (except 42 which always comes in on both tuners). The channels that I receive in that range fluctuate. Yesterday I could not get 37-53. Now today I cannot get 35-49.

I thought it might be the CableCARD, so I tried swapping the cards and I still had the problem with tuner 1. I don't have any splitters. I have the cable from the wall directly connected to the S3.

Sounds like a possible TiVo issue, and not a cable/CableCARD issue. I guess I'll have to try TiVo support.
g808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:16 AM   #19
hickerson

I am still having missing analog channels on cable card 2.

I talked to TiVo customer support yesterday and they said it was probably the cable card or low cable strength.

I bought a signal booster. It did improve my overall picture quality, but I still have the missing channels.

Could it really be the cable card? I have went through two cards and the problem was the same on each.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #20
tboydsto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelengineer
yep, me too. I have a few random channels in the analog arnge that won't display. No errors on the cablecard either. This is wierd.
Me too. This happened before my CableCards were installed with Channel 2. I simply get the message that the TiVo is looking for the signal and to check Troubleshooting. This morning, I was again missing some analog channels (different ones this time). Very flakey!
Old 09-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #21
generaltso

I'm having a similar problem. There are about 20 random digital channels that just give me a gray screen on either tuner. There are about 5 other channels that give me video, but no audio.

The weird part is if I stay on any of these channels for very long, it seems to reboot whichever cable card it's using. I lose all my channels on that tuner until it boots back up. If I go into the CP Info screen, I get an error for about 30 seconds, then "waiting for time" for about 10 seconds, then "waiting for EUT" for about a minute, then "Ready". Once it's ready, my channels all come back except for the ones with video and/or audio issues. This is 100% reproducable.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:03 PM   #22
Nalez

Something I have noticed:
I seeem to get around this problem by just rewinding a bit. It seems like watching a real time live broadcast I *often* see the grey screen, but if I rewind a bit, it shows fine.

When I do have this problem, I am also seeing horizontal white lines go across the screen as well. Anyone else see this symptom?
Nalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #23
hickerson

I see the white lines also when a channels is about to go out.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #24
jfh3

For people having this problem, PLEASE report it to Tivo. Tivo engineering (through a supervisor) is claiming that they don't have reports of these types of problems.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:30 PM   #25
rickertk
Not quite new Member

I was having this problem (missing analog channels from 54-74 on one tuner only) up to today. They installed my Cablecards, and in this market, Comcast appears to be running full digital simulcast, so the problem is no longer apparent. However, one thing that I was seeing before the installer showed up - if I left the Tivo on in the menus or paused on a recording, the buffer on the problem tuner would fill up on one of the problem channels. As soon as I went to Live TV, though, or if it timed out to Live TV, it seemed to start losing connection. I didn't have enough time to play around with it to see if this was just coincidence or if it was consistently getting confused when showing LiveTV. It might be worth trying if you're having the problem, though.

Keith
rickertk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:39 PM   #26
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
For people having this problem, PLEASE report it to Tivo. Tivo engineering (through a supervisor) is claiming that they don't have reports of these types of problems.
Is there an email address? I hate calling their 800 number and waiting for 20 minutes to speak to someone. I'd prefer to just email them a bug report.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:06 PM   #27
as6o

Note

I'm seeing the same thing. The upper analog channels show "Searching for Signal". One channel, Food Network, kept bouncing in and out of reception. If I fiddle with the cables it seems to help a bit. My installer said that if the cables aren't perfect you start to loose the high or low analog channels. Maybe the S3's analog tunners are finicky.

I'll ask one of my budies at TiVo about it...

-Aaron
as6o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #28
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic
Is there an email address? I hate calling their 800 number and waiting for 20 minutes to speak to someone. I'd prefer to just email them a bug report.
No.

And the current wait time is exactly why I mentioned to the supervisor today that few people were probably calling in.

I'm trying to track down a problem that may be similar to this - boxes with incomplete recordings.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:40 AM   #29
g808

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickerson
I am still having missing analog channels on cable card 2.

I talked to TiVo customer support yesterday and they said it was probably the cable card or low cable strength.

I bought a signal booster. It did improve my overall picture quality, but I still have the missing channels.

Could it really be the cable card? I have went through two cards and the problem was the same on each.

Any suggestions?
I don't think it's a CableCARD issue. I see missing analog channels on only tuner 1. I swapped the cards and still saw the same problem on tuner 1. If it were the CableCARD, then the problem should have moved to tuner 2 after the card swap.
g808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #30
chipvideo

Random Black Screen on Comcast Cable Seattle

I have two series3 and it happens on both of them on my local HDTV stations via cable. Only happens on the locals. I also noticed last night some major flashes flashes on the screen watching CBS and had a static noise come through as well for less than half a second at a time about 4 times durring the 60 minute program. My cable strength is awesome. Ive never seen this before with a cablecard directly into my tv or using the comcast moto box. What is going on here. This is very upsetting.

It has to be something that is corrupting the series3 because it has never happened until I started using them.