TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #61
Cyclops

Tele-media in Waterbury, ct

I had my two CC installed yesterday with no problem. The cable guy said afterward it was his first Tivo although when he was doing it he acted like he did them all the time. I made it extremely easy for him-- I turned the Tivo around and had it on the right menu, etc. He seemed to know his way around a Tivo, though.

What surprised me was that I did not have a standard config leading up to my Tivo. I had a bypass filter that chops out channels 75-80 so that I can keep a Tivo in the basement and broadcast it on channel 78 and the HD Tivo was on the other side of this bypass and yet the install still worked. Unfortunately with frequency harmonics, a bypass filter for 75-80 also knocks out channel 750 which is HBOHD so I still had to bypass the bypass filter for the HDTivo directly to the outside world. (The other TV's still get the basement Tivo)

The cable guy said the reason why CCs had such a bad rep was that the cable companies were forced to provide them, so they were rushed into service and the first wave didn't work very well and all he could do was call in the numbers and wait for the other end to figure out the problem.
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:03 PM   #62
generaltso

Well, both my cable cards were working fine for about 24 hours, but now one card has lost its programming information again. Except this time, I can't get a hold of anyone at AdelCast! I tried my secret support number and it goes right to voicemail. I called the regular Comcast support number and went through all the menu options only to be transfered to a busy signal. Now this is ridiculous!
generaltso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #63
generaltso

After several calls, I was finally put into the Comcast support queue (instead of a busy signal). I was on hold for 85 minutes, but when I finally got someone, she was VERY helpful. She saw that the second cable card was removed from my account, so she added it back on and sent a staging signal to both cards. The "bad" card immediately started working. Then she offered me 6 months of free HBO for my trouble.

The hold time was ridiculous, but the service once I got through was MUCH better than it ever was with Adelphia. When I called the regular Adelphia support line in the past, they didn't even know what cable cards were!
Old 11-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #64
acej80
not so "New Member"

Has anyone received a bill yet with the CC fees on it? I was quoted a price of $5.99 per card both by calling customer service and by sending an email thru the comcast web site. If you was successful in getting a lower price for the CC's, do you have any tips for getting that better price?
acej80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #65
generaltso

The Adelphia pricing for me was $1.75 for the first card and $3.75 for the second card. I was just switched to Comcast's pricing though, so the old pricing is irrelevant. According to a Comcast rep, there is now no charge for the cable cards, however the digital programming price includes a cable box rental fee of $5.50 which cannot be removed since it's part of the package. I did just notice a new charge of $8.45 on my account online for an "additional HDTV outlet." That's going to be fun to fight when my bill comes.

So basically, they say the cable cards are free, but then try to charge you $5.50 for a nonexistent cable box and another $8.45 for a nonexistent second cable box. They have an interesting definition of "free".
Old 01-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #66
titsataki

I had my install yesterday and it did not go so well.

My tech showed up about 1 1/2 hr late and he was a contractor that kept complaining that they do not do cable cards only Comcast folks do those. They tried again and again but could not get the cards registered. They could not contact the correct folks. Finally they left saying that their supervisor (Comcast employee) will call me. I was like sure. But i was wrong and he did call me we worked a while but I still only get analogs and non scrambled HD. I have 2 more digital boxes for my other TV's that work fine.

In my cable card config menus in the host id screen I see the serial number it says authorization received for both cards.

under the SA CP screen under auth status I see CP Auth Received.
Decryption status No ECMs detceted

Same for both Cable cards.

Update. I called and talked to the lady and now under the SA CP screen it says waiting for Auth for both cards. I think this lady went the wrong way. She said that the tech will not be able to come until next Tuesday. So now no digital channels on my tivo for 3-4 days.

Any input. Should i swing by the local office? (where can I find the local office)

Regards

Nick

Last edited by titsataki : 01-11-2007 at 03:47 PM.
titsataki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #67
Necro

Unless the cards are bad, there is no need for a tech to come out.

1. After you go through the setup, be sure to reboot the Tivo via menu
2. After it finally warms up, wait 15 minutes for the programming to come down.
3. If nothing still, call the cable co, tech support department and ask them to verify the numbers (you can see them on the diag screens)
4. If those are good, have them resend the programming (be sure you do this for each card).
5. You should see the updates in about 10-15 minutes.
6. You *may* need to reboot the thing again.

I should write a "how to make this POS thing work" book.
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #68
titsataki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro
Unless the cards are bad, there is no need for a tech to come out.

1. After you go through the setup, be sure to reboot the Tivo via menu
2. After it finally warms up, wait 15 minutes for the programming to come down.
3. If nothing still, call the cable co, tech support department and ask them to verify the numbers (you can see them on the diag screens)
4. If those are good, have them resend the programming (be sure you do this for each card).
5. You should see the updates in about 10-15 minutes.
6. You *may* need to reboot the thing again.

I should write a "how to make this POS thing work" book.
went through the guided setup. Rebooted. Still no digital channels
I am going to call Adelphia tomorrow morning.

Thanks for input.

Nick

Last edited by titsataki : 01-12-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #69
titsataki

called like 3 times. they keep saying they have me down for Tuesday 3-5pm. but when I try to wait it out it just drops me with a message that they have an increased volume of calls.

I tried last time and they had not put down anything about cable cards so now I want to make sure they have possibly some extra cards and then bring one of their DVR's and HD set top box.

I am running out of patience with these guys. Impossible to reach and incapable of sourcing the right info or people.

Nick
Old 01-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #70
titsataki

they came and they could not install the cards. they kept telling me that the codes are all messed up after the Adelphia/Comcast merger buy out. So I gave up and got me 2 cable co DVR's They still have problems with the programming but at least I have digital channels. they say the hope to be all ironed out with the merger in 2 weeks or so... We shall see.

Cheers

nick
Old 01-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #71
BrianCT

I had Telemedia put my cards in about a month ago, thankfully it was flawless. Even after the merger, I havent had any problems with Comcast. Hopefully they straighten it out for you soon Nick, once you get over the cablecard hump, you will love the S3.
BrianCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:33 AM   #72
titsataki

I may give this another shot in a couple weeks. I am wondering how long Will I be able to transfer my life time off my S2 (if it is after Jan 31st).

cheers

nick
Old 01-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #73
lkrieg

generaltso: a followup to your earlier posts: I have been trying to get the "no audio" problem solved with Comcast support, and TiVo support. Finally got the answers!

The Cablecard spec calls for decoding AC3 audio as a requirement. Cable boxes may also decode MPEG audio, and some channels on our cable system (looks like BIO and HISI here in Colchester Vermont) are being sent with MPEG audio, which the TiVo S3 software cannot decode (hence it shows "Current audio track: unknown"). That explains why hooking up a STB produces audio as expected.

I am going to ask Comcast to fix this by switching those channels' audio to AC3 (just for laughs), but in any case Tivo is coming out with a version 8.1 software update soon that will add MPEG audio support.

The only infuriating thing about this is that TiVo and the cable companies are so damned antagonistic that their support organizations don't communicate about this stuff, so everyone wastes countless hours trying to troubleshoot a problem which is already known about. Grrrrr....
lkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #74
ashu
User title defunct

lkrieg, as just posted by TiVoJerry in the Audio Problems thread, the onus is on the Cable Companies to include the AC3 audio. The specs (that THEY wrote & approved) require it!

Setting asside the indignance and antagonistic attitudes of first level tech support at CableCos as well as (unfortunately, sometimes) TiVo - at least now we know WHOM to blame for this problem. Read my advice/suggestion for folks who want to take this up. BBB/Consumer Affairs etc should know about this, as should the channels whose audio is useless to you because the cablecos refuse to broadcast AC3 as well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #75
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrieg
generaltso: a followup to your earlier posts: I have been trying to get the "no audio" problem solved with Comcast support, and TiVo support. Finally got the answers!

The Cablecard spec calls for decoding AC3 audio as a requirement. Cable boxes may also decode MPEG audio, and some channels on our cable system (looks like BIO and HISI here in Colchester Vermont) are being sent with MPEG audio, which the TiVo S3 software cannot decode (hence it shows "Current audio track: unknown"). That explains why hooking up a STB produces audio as expected.

I am going to ask Comcast to fix this by switching those channels' audio to AC3 (just for laughs), but in any case Tivo is coming out with a version 8.1 software update soon that will add MPEG audio support.

The only infuriating thing about this is that TiVo and the cable companies are so damned antagonistic that their support organizations don't communicate about this stuff, so everyone wastes countless hours trying to troubleshoot a problem which is already known about. Grrrrr....
I've been trying to get Adelphia/Comcast to switch those channels from MPEG to AC3 for months. Their general attitude is that they're not willing to make such a sweeping change for such a small minority of users. Of course, the change won't break anything for anyone else, but I don't think they want to risk it.

Although it's really the responsibility of the cable providers to fix this issue, I respect that TiVo is doing everything they can on their side to get around the problem. Now we just need to wait for the next software release.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #76
AaRdVarK3

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso
Call 1-866-662-1049 and talk to Adam. I don't know what he did exactly to straighten out my account, but within 18 hours everything started working again.
What exactly is this number for? I called it and got "Adam and Drew's Troubleshooting Hotline" Is it for all of Adelphia?
AaRdVarK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #77
generaltso

It's the Comcast Technical Troubleshooting Hotline for Vermont. They may do troubleshooting for other regions as well, but I couldn't say for sure.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #78
lkrieg

Comcast has an S3!

Well, I have it from two different people in the Williston Vermont Comcast office that they have an S3 and are getting an account so they can test with it, and even use it in customer homes for troubleshooting.

I have to say, the local people I have talked to have shown a genuine interest in being able to support us. The corporate bureaucracy may or may not be helpful, but the individuals involved here are working sincerely on the problems. I'm trying to give them lots of positive reinforcement.

They just got local NBC affiliate WPTZ up on HD channel 705 via the Milton headend.

I'll post anything else I learn here.

--> Update: Since the Version 8.1 software update, even the MPEG audio channels work fine now, so I guess Comcast fixing the audio on the few messed-up channels lacking AC3 audio is moot.

Last edited by lkrieg : 03-05-2007 at 03:41 PM.
lkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote