TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2006, 11:00 AM   #31
fchamber

I just tried restarting the tivo (I'd held off for an hour or so, worrying that Adelphia might get around to sending some signal and with my luck they'd do just as I was rebooting). At first after it came up, same thing--gray screen on every channel. After a couple of minutes, though, it mysteriously started working. Now I get every channel I expect to that I've checked except for ESPN, which I can live w/o since the HD version comes in fine. I went back in and checked the CC statuses, and both now show Decryption Status as OK and PowerKey Status as Ready. Not sure if was the reboot or Adelphia, but it's working for now. Doesn't really instill a lot of faith in the stability of the whole setup, but I'm hopeful now...

Thanks,

FChamber
fchamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #32
Underclaw

1st CC Install Attempt; Cape Cod

Well, I've finally got something to post. It's not pretty...

Called earlier this week and scheduled install of 2 CCs for Friday afternoon. Told 'em it was going in a Tivo Series 3. Not a sound (thought that was good) from rep. Tech shows up today, and the first problem: he has 1 card. Claims that is what work order said. Won't go to back to office to get another because he has other appts.

He asks what TV it is going in, and I say it's going in a Tivo. "Our stuff is not compatible with Tivo" was the response. But I was prepared to defend. Dropped Cablelabs certification reference, told him that Adelphia IS aware of CC installs in Tivo and that he should probably call the Video Ops Center. Tech got EXTREMELY defensive. Said he did not need to call any center, and besides he had never heard of such a thing. He went to his truck to call his supervisor.

I got on the phone to Adelphia. Got a rep and I explained that I had a tech there to install 2 cablecards, he only brought 1, and he is balking at doing the work even though it is a certifed device. She asks what kind of TV is it going in. I say not in a TV but a Tivo. "It won't work with Tivo" she says. I explain to her that, yes, it will, it is a new unit, but it is certified, and there have been other installs with Adelphia. She wants to talk to tech, but he is down in my basement. She then tells me that cablecards CANNOT go in Tivos. She knows this. I ask for a supervisor right away, and she continues to argue. Not 1 minute but 2 more minutes. FINALLY, she gets a supervisor. Supervisor is unaware of CCs in Tivos, but is willing to check for procedure. Finds some info! And confirms I asked for 2 cards! Meanwhile, the tech has agreed to try to install with my help. We get the CC install screen up, but it flashed too quickly to read anything, and shows some error info. Tech reseats the card...BOOM, Tivo reboots and comes up with an error.
Error now points to defective cablecard! Can't do anything more, but by this time the tech has come around and dropped his defensiveness. He apologizes and says that they don't get any information about these types of installs. Asks about the Tivo and I list all the features. He says "Wow, that is really cool. I don't think Adelphia really wants us to be installing things in other hardware". <personal opinion, not policy>.

Anyway, to be continued, they are sending someone else out tomorrow with 2 new cards. BTW, called into Tivo to explain problem with card seating and not ejecting. Right away he asked me if it was a Scientific Atlanta card. Apparently these cards are slightly larger than other manufacturers and they do not fit so well in the slot. THEY ARE CONSIDERING SAYING YOU CANNOT USE SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA CARDS in their boxes!

Wish me luck tomorrow....

UC
Underclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #33
tazzmission

I have (2) S3's and the SA CC's fit just fine in mine.
tazzmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #34
ashu
User title defunct

Ahh - mine's scheduled for an Adel-Castic CablceCard installation early next week, I'll keep everyone posted.

The local office was still labelled Adelphia today, although their software, pricing, info etc has changed to Comcast ... and the Adelphia bill website has vanished (replaced by links to Comcast or TW)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #35
Underclaw

2nd attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underclaw
Well, I've finally got something to post. It's not pretty...

Called earlier this week and scheduled install of 2 CCs for Friday afternoon. Told 'em it was going in a Tivo Series 3. Not a sound (thought that was good) from rep. Tech shows up today, and the first problem: he has 1 card. Claims that is what work order said. Won't go to back to office to get another because he has other appts.

He asks what TV it is going in, and I say it's going in a Tivo. "Our stuff is not compatible with Tivo" was the response. But I was prepared to defend. Dropped Cablelabs certification reference, told him that Adelphia IS aware of CC installs in Tivo and that he should probably call the Video Ops Center. Tech got EXTREMELY defensive. Said he did not need to call any center, and besides he had never heard of such a thing. He went to his truck to call his supervisor.

I got on the phone to Adelphia. Got a rep and I explained that I had a tech there to install 2 cablecards, he only brought 1, and he is balking at doing the work even though it is a certifed device. She asks what kind of TV is it going in. I say not in a TV but a Tivo. "It won't work with Tivo" she says. I explain to her that, yes, it will, it is a new unit, but it is certified, and there have been other installs with Adelphia. She wants to talk to tech, but he is down in my basement. She then tells me that cablecards CANNOT go in Tivos. She knows this. I ask for a supervisor right away, and she continues to argue. Not 1 minute but 2 more minutes. FINALLY, she gets a supervisor. Supervisor is unaware of CCs in Tivos, but is willing to check for procedure. Finds some info! And confirms I asked for 2 cards! Meanwhile, the tech has agreed to try to install with my help. We get the CC install screen up, but it flashed too quickly to read anything, and shows some error info. Tech reseats the card...BOOM, Tivo reboots and comes up with an error.
Error now points to defective cablecard! Can't do anything more, but by this time the tech has come around and dropped his defensiveness. He apologizes and says that they don't get any information about these types of installs. Asks about the Tivo and I list all the features. He says "Wow, that is really cool. I don't think Adelphia really wants us to be installing things in other hardware". <personal opinion, not policy>.

Anyway, to be continued, they are sending someone else out tomorrow with 2 new cards. BTW, called into Tivo to explain problem with card seating and not ejecting. Right away he asked me if it was a Scientific Atlanta card. Apparently these cards are slightly larger than other manufacturers and they do not fit so well in the slot. THEY ARE CONSIDERING SAYING YOU CANNOT USE SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA CARDS in their boxes!

Wish me luck tomorrow....

UC
2 Techs came out today. Tried 3 different SA cablecards in slot. Tivo kept rebooting and reporting error. Tivo will have to be RMA'd.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #36
generaltso

Fchamber, if you have any more problems with your cable cards, don't call the regular customer support number.....it's useless. There's actually a group of techs in South Burlington that man a technical troubleshooting line (not that Adelphia will actually tell you that). The number is (866) 662-1049. That's who I've been working with on the "no audio on four channels" issue.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #37
fchamber

Thanks for the phone #, generaltso--everything's working (mostly) at the moment, but I'm writing that one down. The people I've talked to at Adelcast so far have all been pretty clueless about cablecards.

On another topic, I'm finding that everything I try to record on INHD and INHD2 has the copy never flag set (i.e. it auto-deletes 90 minutes after the show starts). Is anyone else seeing this? If so, has anyone tried taking it up with Adelphia (or INHD, not sure who to complain to)? I haven't looked into this far enough, but I get the impression from other threads that this might be illegal, and it is certainly annoying.

Thanks,

FC
Old 10-29-2006, 10:02 AM   #38
generaltso

I've just confirmed that I have the same problem with anything recorded on INHD or INHD2. That pretty much makes those channels useless. I guess we should start by complaining to Adelphia. I'm sure they'll say it's a problem with the TiVo.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #39
fchamber

Agreed and agreed--this flag makes INHD* useless, and Adelphia will probably try to blame Tivo. From what reading I've done, though, Tivo is just doing what they are legally required to do for cable card compliance, so the problem is most likely with adelphia or INHD.

-FC
Old 10-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #40
generaltso

Yup, the DRM flag on those channels is the real problem. The question is does this flag come from Adelphia or INHD. I guess we should see if anyone on a different cable system is having the same problem.

By the way FC, did you get a chance to check audio on those four channels (111, 120, 123, 163)?
Old 10-29-2006, 02:20 PM   #41
fchamber

Yeah, sorry, I just checked and I don't get any of those channels (I'm subscribed to just broadcast cable + HD, which gives me more channels than you'd expect, but none of those).

-FC
Old 10-29-2006, 05:32 PM   #42
generaltso

And you get all the HD channels? I thought that you had to subscribe to digital cable to get the HD channels (besides the local CBS & PBS).
Old 10-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #43
fchamber

Yup. I had one CSR tell me I needed the digital plan to get HD, but I called again and got a different (better) answer :-) I was relieved that they didn't bring that up again when I got the CC's installed. So far so good, anyway--guess I should wait for my next bill from them.

-FC
Old 10-31-2006, 11:32 AM   #44
tazzmission

I live in PA and have Adelphia. They are now Comcast. I see I am not getting some channels today 121 (The Golf Channel) and some other channels are wrong in the guide. I know Adelphia is transitioning to Comcast. Will my channel lineup change? Is this the start of that change? I called Adelphia's 800 number but they have no idea.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:46 PM   #45
ashu
User title defunct

Botched (and overpriced, 9.50 for 2 cards instead of the 3.50 I heard!) CableCard install by (someone who seemed to be a VERY competent Independent contractor) Adelphia this AM.

One got a hit, the second didn't, and only the free-QAM channels showed up so far on the one.

Of course, I couldn't wait around (left 30 minutes after install) so perhaps the remaining channels have magically appeared (on both cards!).

Update later this evening ...

Already got a couple of automated calls/emails from Comcast about the impending changes in lineup, channels, billing etc etc. *shudder*

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 11-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #46
Underclaw

3rd attempt; Cape Cod

Well, I guess the 3rd time's the charm, but it was just a little less harrowing than previous.

I received a new S3 box yesterday and had set up another CC install for today. Tech shows up with 1 cablecard (specifically asked for 2 each order request). Tech was confused why I would need 2. Told him it was going in Tivo Series 3 and I would need the 2nd card. He started to go back to office. Called his supervisor and came back. Said "Bad News, it's not compatible with Tivo". I explained the same things I did (see post from a week ago) before. He was reasonable though, and agreed to tough it out.

CC installs went fairly smooth. The worst was waiting while the S3 downloaded program data and ORGANIZED following CC setup. Like waiting for water to boil. When channels came up, was not getting HBO, ESPN channels. Tech had to call to Atlanta, and after reviewing how the channels were authorized from there they found something that was obviously not coded right. After about 10 minutes of waiting, they were able to get the channels to come through.

Need a beer to get rid of this headache....

UC
Old 11-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #47
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underclaw
Need a beer to get rid of this headache....

UC
Why? Drowning Adelphia techs in alcohol could lead to MORE headaches!

Congrats ... just joking. My Adelphia tech on day two was excellent! No ill-will towards them!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 11-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #48
RichA

Adelcastic Ignorance

Ready to move ahead with an S3 purchase, so I stopped by my local Boca Raton Adelcastic office today to check on pricing. As we started to talk about cablecards, the clerk immediately told me I did not want one of those (not a good sign). I explained that not only did I want one of them, I wanted two for a Tivo S3 box, she and her partner explained that their policy was to only install those cards in a TV, not in an S3. They do not install them in Tivos since that takes away from their DVR sales. They went on to explain they just had a customer who had talked to "management" with the same issue and was refused.

Before I start down this ugly path, does anyone have any words of advice, numbers to call or documents from Comcast?
RichA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #49
cheerdude
Reed &amp; Juliet's CPA

Just call and arrange for installation of 2 CableCards. To prepare for the question of "What TV", find a TV that is CableCard ready... and give that number.

I did my installation with Adelphia on the first weekend of availability and had no problems. Only issue was when they switched to Comcast... and that took one phone call to their customer service to fix.
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #50
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichA
Before I start down this ugly path, does anyone have any words of advice, numbers to call or documents from Comcast?
Supposedly you can let TiVo do all that. TiVo has specially trained reps to talk to the cable companies. Get a phone number of somebody to call at your local cable company, then call TiVo to set up a conference call. It should be one of the options in the standard TiVo help menu when you call the normal number.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #51
Necro

Yup. Call Tivo and tell them what happened. They will get ahold of Adelphia for you and get tell them like it is. They are required by the gov't to supply cable cards to any cable card certified device. It was done to create competition. If they are worried about it, tell them to make a DVR better than TIVO! lol
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #52
Wendell
I HD Tivo, Do You?

I am in Fredericksburg, VA and Adelphia still serves my area. When I called and asked for two CableCards for a Tivo, I was told Tivos did not use CableCards. LOL. After telling the person, it was fairly new and did in fact use CableCards along with having built in tuners, I was then told I needed a cable box. Hmm, OK, how about just sending out someone with the cards, which they agreed. Cable guy shows up and I put in the cards. I pull up the screens which have the HOST Id, etc and he makes the call. They wanted to know what the TV model was. He told them the CableCards were installed in a Tivo. They still wanted to know what TV model it was. So, he gave the model number of my plasma screen. They were happy and went ahead with the activation process. One card, worked fine and decoded the encrypted channels as it should. The second card did not activate immediately, but did eventually. Everything seems to be working fine. Strange pricing though, charging more for the second CableCard than the first.
Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #53
tazzmission

Adelphia does charge more for the second card and so on... Why I have no idea. I have 4 CC's.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #54
Wendell
I HD Tivo, Do You?

I will probably add a second Series 3. What does Adelphia charge for the 3 and 4th cablecard? Does it keep going up?
Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #55
ashu
User title defunct

When you find out, tell us

I stopped by asking about an abruot bandwidth cap, and they said my nett bill for 2 CCs went up $2.xx this month. But I won't see the bill until the Comcast transition is complete anyway.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 11-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #56
generaltso

It's official, my Adelphia service has now been converted to Comcast. I wish that it was a smooth transition, but it wasn't. Last night, one of my cable cards stopped working. The other one seems fine. I called Adelphia.....I mean Comcast to report the problem. They said that my account appears to have been extremely screwed up in the transition to Comcast's system. Now my account shows no cable cards, but it does show a digital cable box. Apparently the one cable card that still works is actually provisioned as a cable box somehow. Now I have to wait a day or two for them to fix my account. Once that's done, I need to work with a tech at the head end to pair the cable cards from scratch. The last time they tried to do this, they couldn't figure it out and ended up replacing the cable cards. Something tells me that's how this will end up too.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:02 AM   #57
ashu
User title defunct

Scheisse!

I got home a whilea go to my internet being down. Again! Bad timing considering Iw as about toc all TiVo for a VIP lifetime transfer to the S3 (which took the CS reps over 2 hours to figure out, on hold, over multipls calls ... they NEED to figure out that process. rant coming later)

Well, I called Adelphia, ended up connected to Comcast, and they re-enabled my internet, and the speeds are back up to the high 5MBPS/512+k range (had dropped to 1MB/128k since the CableCard install!)

Oh, and I triple-checked - the CbaleCards still work

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 11-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #58
generaltso

Both my cable cards are back in business. The other card actually started working right away when they fixed my account today. The downtime was annoying, but at least it didn't take an act of Congress to get it fixed.

I can't wait to see how ridiculously screwed up my first Comcast bill will be.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:15 PM   #59
Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso
It's official, my Adelphia service has now been converted to Comcast. I wish that it was a smooth transition, but it wasn't. Last night, one of my cable cards stopped working. The other one seems fine. I called Adelphia.....I mean Comcast to report the problem. They said that my account appears to have been extremely screwed up in the transition to Comcast's system. Now my account shows no cable cards, but it does show a digital cable box. Apparently the one cable card that still works is actually provisioned as a cable box somehow. Now I have to wait a day or two for them to fix my account. Once that's done, I need to work with a tech at the head end to pair the cable cards from scratch. The last time they tried to do this, they couldn't figure it out and ended up replacing the cable cards. Something tells me that's how this will end up too.
LOL, I'm a day behind you... I was converted today and both cards stopped working. I called, they sent a signal. Still nothing. They want to send a tech out. OMG how stupid are these people.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:03 PM   #60
generaltso

Call 1-866-662-1049 and talk to Adam. I don't know what he did exactly to straighten out my account, but within 18 hours everything started working again.