TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
oysterhead

Constant "flicker" during Super Bowl commercials

Like clockwork, when commercials came on during the Super Bowl, the flicker started, with sound cutting out in blips. Once the game started back, it stopped.

The Motorola in a different room did not experience flicker.

I tried both tuners in the Tivo, didn't matter.

Pretty damn annoying.
oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Sherminator
ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

It happened on my Motorola Cable DVR too. I guess that your Motorola Box was lucky.

Mind you, this was the 1st NFL game on CBS HD which didn't display any visual stuttering.
Sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
hookbill
Feathered Member

No stuttering in my neck of the woods but some of the large shots of the field looked like somone tried to clean the lens with a dirty rag. Blurry on those shots and I did not consume any alcohol.

Did any9ne else notice?
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
glassonion

I had the exact same stuttering audio during commercials while watching in HD. But not during the game. My receiver showed constant flickering of the "digital" light on/off corresponding with the audio loss and was constantly trying to adjust its sound mode (Dolby Digital, stereo, etc). Oddly, several commercials (esp those office/survivor type ads) I only had limited audio (like a second surround sound track perhaps...) but couldn't hear any of the main conversation. Weird. Since I've had trouble with pixelation/audio drops, I had the second tuner on CBS nonHD station which showed no audio problems whatsoever.
glassonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

CBS seemed to be having problems with their metadata switching.
This is what switches the dolby encoders from 5.1 audio during the program to 2.0 audio for the commercials.

Since there were numerous HD commercials with 5.1 audio, this switch happened numerous times during the breaks unless the whole break consisted of 5.1 HD spots.

It seemed like one playback deck at CBS was having problems putting out this metadata so some of the 5.1 HD commercials had switching problems during them, it would switch from 5.1 to 2.0 numerous times during the spot, so numerous it sounded like popping.

Some stations force 5.1 audio for the whole program, other stations rely on this metadata switching, that's why some locations didn't hear the problems, other areas did.

We here finally forced 5.1 about halfway through the game to help prevent this from happening any more.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

No problems here.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
joelkfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
No stuttering in my neck of the woods but some of the large shots of the field looked like somone tried to clean the lens with a dirty rag.
I think that's pretty much what happened. The camera lenses were wet from the rain, and the worst ones were probably remote control cameras with no operator to wipe the lens.
joelkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
Necro

I am starting to hate this $900 POS.

1. I had the superbowl set to record. Tivo kept losing the signal. The other cablecard worked fine on all other channels.
2. I stopped the recording, changed channels and back, BAM! It starts working for a few seconds.
3. I give up and switch to the regular SD channel
4. Regular SD channel looks HORRIBLE. Much much worse than normal.
5. I change to the other cable card and check that channel. It's fine.
6. Finally, after 20 minutes of bitchin', it starts working in HD again but with the sound cutting out.

I'm REALLY glad I didn't through a superbowl party this year. I knew this thing was a POS and decided not to throw a party because I didn't want to be embarrased but such a waste of money.
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
Maeglin

No stuttering or signal loss here... the most I saw was some flickering of the screen between some commercials and the rest of it, but that looked more like the TV was changing resolutions (or the Tivo's scaler adapting to resolution changes? I'm set at 1080i Hybrid, so the TV shouldn't have noticed anything).
Old 02-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #10
mcukier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro

1. I had the superbowl set to record. Tivo kept losing the signal. The other cablecard worked fine on all other channels.
2. I stopped the recording, changed channels and back, BAM! It starts working for a few seconds.
6. Finally, after 20 minutes of bitchin', it starts working in HD again but with the sound cutting out.

I'm REALLY glad I didn't through a superbowl party this year. I knew this thing was a POS and decided not to throw a party because I didn't want to be embarrased but such a waste of money.
I'll buy yours from you for $250. You should be overjoyed to get rid of such a "POS" for that much cash....

sincere offer, btw!
mcukier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
edubbrulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder
CBS seemed to be having problems with their metadata switching.
This is what switches the dolby encoders from 5.1 audio during the program to 2.0 audio for the commercials.

Since there were numerous HD commercials with 5.1 audio, this switch happened numerous times during the breaks unless the whole break consisted of 5.1 HD spots.

It seemed like one playback deck at CBS was having problems putting out this metadata so some of the 5.1 HD commercials had switching problems during them, it would switch from 5.1 to 2.0 numerous times during the spot, so numerous it sounded like popping.

Some stations force 5.1 audio for the whole program, other stations rely on this metadata switching, that's why some locations didn't hear the problems, other areas did.

We here finally forced 5.1 about halfway through the game to help prevent this from happening any more.

phox
Thanks! This explains the problems I heard watching the game. It was pretty damn annoying!

Erik
edubbrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #12
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelkfla
I think that's pretty much what happened. The camera lenses were wet from the rain, and the worst ones were probably remote control cameras with no operator to wipe the lens.
There was a steady and fairly heavy rain during the whole game. With some of the cameras, you could see the raindrops, others were just smeared, depending on whether the drops were in focus or not. And some of the shots that look like the camera is only a few feet away are really zoomed in from fairly distant cameras, and these were being obscured by all the rain between the camera and the objects being shown.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
I am starting to hate this $900 POS..
Good grief, why did you pay $900??? They were selling for under $700 since day one online!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #14
buddhawood

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought there might be something wrong with my AV system.
buddhawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #15
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhawood
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought there might be something wrong with my AV system.
I'm glad it was happening all over the country.

I can reference this forum and AVS Forums when the boss comes down and yells at me for screwing up the audio during the commercials.

phox

TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
Old 02-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #16
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcukier
I'll buy yours from you for $250. You should be overjoyed to get rid of such a "POS" for that much cash....

sincere offer, btw!
Since he overpaid for the POS, I'll offer to overpay and give him $300.

Thanks for posting the info, phox, it certainly makes sense now...

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #17
visionary
HAVE BRAIN WILL USE!

Yes, Phox, thanks for the info. I think this audio problem was for us over the air people, I think cable must force 5.1 all the time and so they don't notice it. If you talk to more people see if it wasn't just OTA that had all the audio problems. It seems so as there would have been SO MANY more talking about this today otherwise. So you are saying when you switch 5.1 to just stereo you lose center speaker and if it was made to use that for speech then, uh-oh. I hope the sponsors get money back, THAT will stop CBS from doing this again....
Old 02-05-2007, 09:13 PM   #18
DeathRider

I left my S3 upstairs and brought the 32" LCD downstairs.

Only problem we had was the digital chanel was a split second off the analog channel (both the HD and the digital mirror station)

So, we had to watch the analog station on the LCD.

When I did tune the digital and hd feeds, no dropouts/popping on RCN.
DeathRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #19
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:

So what have you done to resolve these issues? Have you had your cable company check your signal strength? Have you tried new cable cards? Have you contacted Tivo to see if they can help, maybe send you a replacement if you do have a bad unit?

You see the majority of us didn't experience any of these problems that you explain you had with your so called 900.00 pos. Perhaps you think the cable company box is better?

Or are you going to just keep complaining and not try and get your problem resolved?
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #20
flyersfan

I wish my cable company or the local O&O, KYW, would just force 5.1. My receiver always goes mute for 3 seconds when the input changes format, so I've dealt with this issue all season on CBS. It's most annoying when they keep going to the studio for game breaks.
flyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #21
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
So what have you done to resolve these issues? Have you had your cable company check your signal strength? Have you tried new cable cards? Have you contacted Tivo to see if they can help, maybe send you a replacement if you do have a bad unit?

You see the majority of us didn't experience any of these problems that you explain you had with your so called 900.00 pos. Perhaps you think the cable company box is better?

Or are you going to just keep complaining and not try and get your problem resolved?
The silence in here is deafening.... I guess we have our answer...

Old 02-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #22
Necro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
Good grief, why did you pay $900??? They were selling for under $700 since day one online!!!

Good question! I was swindled by TIVO! They lead me to believe that I HAD to order my S3 from them in order to get my lifetime transfer....
Old 02-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #23
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
$700 + $199 Lifetime transfer = $900 (always round up on your tax forms)

phox

TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
Old 02-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #24
Necro

Quote:

1. Yes, CC says the signal strength is perfect. Even the S3 shows it in the high 90's.
2. Yes, tried new CC's.
3. Haven't called Tivo. Will they ship me a replacement box before I ship them mine back? If not, will they pay me for my lost S3 time? Doubt it. Plus I have to PAY to ship it back to them when it's clearly their fault??? Not very good service if you ask me.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #25
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
3. Haven't called Tivo. Will they ship me a replacement box before I ship them mine back? If not, will they pay me for my lost S3 time? Doubt it. Plus I have to PAY to ship it back to them when it's clearly their fault??? Not very good service if you ask me.
There is your problem - try calling Tivo before complaining. Tivo will cross ship (I don't remember if I paid shipping, but I don't think that I did...

Old 02-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #26
444turbodiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary
Yes, Phox, thanks for the info. I think this audio problem was for us over the air people, I think cable must force 5.1 all the time and so they don't notice it. If you talk to more people see if it wasn't just OTA that had all the audio problems. It seems so as there would have been SO MANY more talking about this today otherwise. So you are saying when you switch 5.1 to just stereo you lose center speaker and if it was made to use that for speech then, uh-oh. I hope the sponsors get money back, THAT will stop CBS from doing this again....
I had the same problem on both OTR and Comcast. I'm running 3 CableCards (two in my HD TiVo and one in my HD TV) and two TiVos (a Humax S2 80hr plus the HD Series 3)

The S2 recorded everything without issue from the Comcast SD channel.

On the HD channels, the sound problems appeared to be with the surround decoding, I could hear the surround channels through my AV receiver but no center (ie no dialogue) watching through my tv (Samsung HL-S5188W/dual tuner) I could hear everything but when the sound cut out completely (on the AV) the TV also lost everything.

The flicking on-off of the surround made watching the game unbearable, I eventually just switched to an SD channel which looks horrible on my 51" screen, but at least I could hear everything.

I just about had my wife convinced to let me get a new AV receiver, then I found this thread...thanks

$900 isn't bad with the lifetime subscription transfer, I paid $1100 but it came with a LS (I didn't want to transfer mine off my S2)

Last edited by 444turbodiesel : 02-11-2007 at 10:53 AM.
444turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #27
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444turbodiesel
The flicking on-off of the surround made watching the game unbearable, I eventually just switched to an SD channel which looks horrible on my 51" screen, but at least I could hear everything.
Next time, take an RCA output off the back of your S3 and use that simultaneously. If you are using HDMI, you should have the ability to add an analog sound source. My Panny has it.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #28
444turbodiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1
Next time, take an RCA output off the back of your S3 and use that simultaneously. If you are using HDMI, you should have the ability to add an analog sound source. My Panny has it.
Actually, I'm using the optical output for my audio. My AV receiver doesn't have HDMI. My S3 doesn't have a digital audio RCA jack, just HDMI and optical.
444turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #29
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444turbodiesel
Actually, I'm using the optical output for my audio. My AV receiver doesn't have HDMI. My S3 doesn't have a digital audio RCA jack, just HDMI and optical.
I realize that. Bypass the receiver and go RCA analog from the TiVo to your TV.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #30
btwyx
Substantive Member

I didn't get any "flicker".

Sometimes the picture from the stadium broke up, but as the score bug stayed steady in front of it, I assumed this was a problem with the feed from the camera to the production truck.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote