TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
rushtrader

S3 reboot - no cap bulge

I am a bit perplexed. I have an S3. It reboots during the silly welcome video after boot. Caps are not bulging, and I even changed the power supply for a new (pull) one that I bought off of ebay which also does not have bulging caps.

I changed the hard drive from a WD green to a Seagate a few weeks back using an image I saved off of the original drive years back just in case the drive was the problem. That worked for a few weeks, now it is back to where it was. Kickstart 54 passes and kickstart 57 runs for about 15 minutes after the GSOD then reboots and brings me back to where I started.

If it matters, the fan was replaced about a year back and it is spinning just fine.

Help... please!

RT
rushtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
mattack

Totally dumb suggestion -- have you tried hitting TIVO quickly when it was in the welcome video?

That may at least be a temporary workaround. I seem to remember having a similar problem on my Tivo HD drive that is apparently 'corrupted'. It works mostly, but gets 'confused' (stops recording things, etc.,) after a while. I was able to put it back in temporarily to get stuff off.. and I plan on doing that again.. But replacing it with another drive was better..

I know you already replaced your drive. I have no idea, but another *total guess* as a hail mary would be to try a clear & delete everything.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
rushtrader

It looks like the culprit was just that the drive I put in was (or went) bad. I grabbed a fresh WD Green 1TB off my shelf (don't ask), ran WDIDLE3 on it, restored my old image and it has been working beautifully for about 20 hours so far.
rushtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

Bulging CAPs indicate failure, but they fail without the bulge as well. Glad you got it fixed.