TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #61
kjmcdonald

EFF Article

Here's an interesting Article on the unequal footing that CableCARDs have, and it has a link to send your comments to the FCC.

http://www.eff.org/IP/pnp/cablewp.php
kjmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:11 AM   #62
edge64
Edge

Knology

Dan, please add Knology to your cable provider list. My recent experience with Series 3 cable card install.

- Ordered 2 cable cards on 2 Jan 2007. Knology initially wanted to charged for an additonal equipment install for second card but relented. Costs would be $16.95 for digital tier; $9.95 for HD package (not inc HBOHD or StarzHD) and $1.95 for each of the two cards.

- Tech showed at appointed time on Jan 9 but had no cards and wanted to install STB. I said no I ordered cards.

- Different Tech showed on next appointment, Jan 22, same story as first tech. I said do you have cards or not. He made a phone call and assured me he would show the next day with cards.

- Tech showed as promised on Jan 23 and had no experience with Tivo Series 3. He wanted to initially install both cards simulatenously but I stopped to follow Tivo provided instructions. First card worked in about 15 minutes. Second card would not install and he had no more cards. He came back next day and installed card 2 and it worked in 15 minutes.

- So far so good, basic analog good, digital and HD great!

- I will now check the first bill to ensure that the charges agreed to are followed.

Thanks Dan for what you are doing.

Don
edge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #63
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge64
Dan, please add Knology to your cable provider list. My recent experience with Series 3 cable card install.
According to the first post, I think you're supposed to create a thread titled "Official Knowlogy Cable Thread", post your story there, then provide Dan203 the link to that story so he can put it into his list of official threads.
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #64
gtars

Does Dan read this thread or do we need to send him a PM? I posted a link to my Grande Communications thread some time ago, but it hasn't been added to the original post yet.

Thanks,
Glenn
gtars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #65
eluckie

QUESTION for EDGE64...What did you end up with your Knology charges being for both cards? I am in Montgomery and they are coming out Tomorrow (1/26) to install 2 cards in my S3. I have been told a number of things but the latest is that they will not charge me the digital tier price for either card, but they will charge $9.95 for High Def and $1.95 for each cable card. This means each card is going to cost me $11.90 per card per month.

That does seem steep and I may downgrade to just one card if we end up not recording a lot of HD shows at the same time.

Just curious what you ended up with. I too have had multiple trips to my house where they were supposed to install cablecards only to have them arrive empty handed. I have "fussed" enough that I now have the cell phone number of an Installation Manager and the direct number to a Billing Manager. Hopefully between the two things will get better tomorrow!!
eluckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:57 AM   #66
Unfocused

Please add Official Buckeye Cablesystem CableCARD thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...86#post4817486
Unfocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:47 AM   #67
edge64
Edge

Dan

Please add Knology to your list.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:33 PM   #68
edge64
Edge

Eluckie: My bill has not been finalized yet since I am still working card issues. I am expecting another visit this week. I had 2 cards installed and got intermittant channel drop on channels 911-919. I have now pulled card 2 out and the channels have stopped dropping for now. My intent is to have them reinstall a card 2 and then test. They have told me the cost would be:

$16.95 for digital tier
9.95 for HD tier
3.90 ($1.95x2 for cards)
______
$30.80 Total (email me @ edge273)
Old 01-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #69
edge64
Edge

Mike, tell me how to create the link.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #70
edge64
Edge

Official Knology Cable Thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4811622

Last edited by edge64 : 02-01-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #71
Mike Farrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge64
No. Don't link to your post within THIS thread. You need to create a whole new thread, then a link to that thread in this thread.
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #72
edge64
Edge

Link to Knology Cable Card Thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=339203
Old 02-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #73
edge64
Edge

Thanks Mike for your suggestion. I had not created a link before. Hope I got it right.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #74
lgbalch

Re Insight. My experience with them in N Illinois (Rockford) was completely different from Midnightgirl's. They installed 2 CCs in by first Series 3 on Oct 2, and in my 2nd Series 3 on 3 Jan. Each time I called and ordered 2 cards without telling them what they were for. The installer in Oct had never seen a Series 3, of course. When he made his phone calls as per the TiVo installation sheet I gave him, there seemed to be a little confusion on the other end of the phone for a while, but eventually everything worked, and he asked for a copy of the installation sheet to take with him. He was here about 30 min. The second installer hadn't done a Series 3, either, but he had no difficulties (and seemed to be familiar with the TiVo remote and menu). Less than 30 min total time, installation cost was zero in October, $23.92 in Jan. (??) All 4 cards rent for $1.99 each per month. So I have nothing to criticize about Insight. But what a relief to get rid of the terrible Motorola DVRs they are using!
lgbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #75
Diesel

Posted to the wrong forum...please ignore.
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #76
ilw-00

new cable cards coming

If you read today's Wall Street Journal, it appears new cable cards are coming. The last few lines are

With a cable card-enabled TV, minimalists can hang their TVs on the wall and don't have to find a place to stash the cable box. The problem with the first generation of products has been that the TVs couldn't access video on demand or other functions that require two-way TV with just a cable card.

The new generation of cards and products has overcome that limitation, but TV makers so far aren't all that excited about the market since most consumers don't consider cable cards an important issue when buying a television set.

The full article is interesting.

Set-top cable TV boxes from different companies should soon be interchangeable,
thanks to a FCC initiative. This means that the boxes are likely to take on
different functions and could start cropping up in retail stores.

(as this forum states I can't post link, check it out. Thank you.)
ilw-00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #77
MsUnderstood

I had to get Comcast cards up and working and in the process found this link which I was hoping could be edited into the first post:

http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42/

It teachs YOU all about the cable card screens so you can teach your tech!
MsUnderstood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #78
akhtar

My local provider is Phonoscope Cable in Houston TX. At first they said they would provide cable cards, but now they just say they have no plans to offer them.

I dont have any other choice, and im stuck with an s3 box which doesnt do much.

What can i do?
akhtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:40 PM   #79
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhtar
My local provider is Phonoscope Cable in Houston TX. At first they said they would provide cable cards, but now they just say they have no plans to offer them. I dont have any other choice, and im stuck with an s3 box which doesnt do much. What can i do?
You can still plug in the cableco's coax cable if you have cable and get all of the analog stations. And, if you are one of the lucky ones, you may be able to get digital HD channels over the air with a regular TV antenna. Pick up one at Radio Shack (so you can return it if you get nothing) and do a channel scan.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #80
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhtar
My local provider is Phonoscope Cable in Houston TX. At first they said they would provide cable cards, but now they just say they have no plans to offer them.
I thought that the early exemptions for smaller cablecos had expired, and now ALL cable companies were required to provide CableCards? Maybe the cablecard support group at TiVo can help.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #81
OneGr8Mick
The Reverend Mick

I appologise if I am in the wrong forum, but im doing a cable card swap on Thurs. What is the best way to do it, i your opinion. Do a clear and delete, pull the cards run guided setup then run again once new cards are in, or just pull out the old put in the new and then run guided setup.

Thanks in advance

Micki
OneGr8Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #82
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGr8Mick
or just pull out the old put in the new and then run guided setup
That should be all you need to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #83
OneGr8Mick
The Reverend Mick

Windracer Thanks for the heads-up. Its much appreciated.

Micki
OneGr8Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #84
Jerry Wilson

Exclamation 2 way motorola cards say 1 way RF ?

Hi: I voluntered my time and Series 3 to get my local Cable Company up and rolling. I spent most of the day fooling around with this to no avail. I did everything except pull the cards, maybe after tomorrow I'll try that. My Series 3 see's the cards but they are not getting data from the cable company.

I wonder how one can post links/jpegs here? I see them on other pages.

Thanxxx
Jerry Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #85
Jerry Wilson

Question Cable Card Mandate ?

What date is the Cable Card Mandate?
Jerry Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:18 AM   #86
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Wilson
What date is the Cable Card Mandate?
7/1/07
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #87
Razorbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
If I missed your cable provider simply post a link to the offical CableCARD thread for that provider below and I'll add it to the list.

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by samual.icky
My Wide Open West (WOW) experience (short and to the point)

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=320180
Dan: Please add samual.icky's thread to the list at the top of this thread for WideOpenWest (WoW) subscribers. Thanks.
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #88
cryptmagic

Anyone know when cable companies will roll out M-Card multistream cable cards? I would love to know when Time Warner will be doing it.
cryptmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #89
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Some, if not most, have M-Card now. But roll-outs tend to be region by region.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #90
pattont

even if your company has them, does the S3 officially support them? I know the new charter 8300HD has a M-Card in the back of it, but it has a tamper sticker and its covered with a plastic piece thats screwed in. They said they wouldn't have the M-Cards available at least here till like 08' I know one of the senior techs here locally that does most of the cards installs he is going to bring me one asap when they get one :-)

Travis
pattont is offline   Reply With Quote