TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
Blahman

Arrow S3 Did NOT record show because it thinks it did?

I've got both of my S3 TiVos configured to record the exact same show on the exact same channel at the same time with the same configured Season Pass with settings of "repeats & first-run"

I do this when it is something I really want to make sure to receive an undamaged playback/copy of a show since Cablevision's signal around here can sometimes fluctuate and since I have 2 direct lines from the pole to the house (one for office one for main entertainment room). This give me the greatest chance of getting said good copy.

Both Season Passes were configured and have been running for the same number of days and have recorded so far all the same episodes. Last night is the first time there has been a difference since the season passes started recording on 12/10. A whopping 10 days of recording attempts.

Last night TiVo 1 (LivingRoom) recorded both episodes of the show as expected.
Last night TiVo 2 (Office) recorded only 1 of the 2 episodes.

Checking the "Find Programs > To Do List > View Recording History" the TiVo_Office says it did not record one of the episodes because that episode has already appeared in then Now Playing or To Do List in the last 28 days.

It did not. That is why the TiVo from the Living Room recorded it. Since the Office TiVo primarily only records for backup purposes as compared to the main I can clearly see every episode thus far recorded and it is indeed not on that TiVo and the deleted list shows me items going back to September (Season Pass was added this month) and no such episode exists there either. No other copy of that episode exists in the recording history.

Going through the ToDo list reveals that this episode is also no in the current upcoming or ToDo episodes.

Why would the Office TiVo think that it shouldn't record that episode when it clearly has not ever recorded and the LivingRoom correctly recorded it?

Seriously, why would one of the units get this right and the other wrong?

WORSE: Checking the Upcoming episodes directly from the Season Pass has revealed several other episodes the Office Tivo was not planning to record that the LivingRoom one is. Those episodes also meet the same of not being in the NowPlaying List and Not in the ToDo list. They also appear correctly scheduled to record on the LivingRoom TiVo. I've now manually force added these episodes (Record this episode also). Manually had to force 5 additional episodes on the Office TiVo that it was not planning that are planned to record in the LivingRoom.

Why?

Last edited by Blahman : 12-20-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Add the additional info about upcoming espisodes also not planned. - fix subject
Blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
worachj

I've seen incorrect guide data cause shows to not be recorded. My guess is your TiVo's had different guide data. When do your TiVo's do their daily connections? Sometimes the guide data doesn't get corrected/updated in time. The one which recorded correctly most likely connected to TiVo's servers and got the updated guide data before the shows ran and the other one didn't.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Blahman

That does seem to make some sense as I see between the 2 TiVo units a few that have no episode descriptions, just the generic description and name of the show. Although in all those cases whichever TiVo does not have the episode name says it will record that upcoming showing which is how it should when it doesn't know the episode name. However, in the case of both the office and livingroom TiVo both have the episode name listed for the episode in question.

Both are connected to the internet 24/7.

System Info the Office TiVo:
Program Information To: Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Service Connection:
Last Successful: Wednesday December 19 2:38 pm
Last Attempt: Wednesday December 19 2:38 pm
Last Status: Succeeded
Next Scheduled: Thursday December 20 5:22 pm
GC: Tuesday December 18 11:53 pm
Indexing: Wednesday December 19 11:53 pm
Guide View Cache:
Cache To: Wednesday December 26 7:30 pm
Wednesday December 19 11:48 pm
VCM Connection:
Last Attempt: Thursday December 20 5:00 pm
Last Successful: Thursday December 20 5:00 pm
Next Scheduled: Thursday December 20 7:39 pm

System Info the LivingRoom TiVo:
Program Information To: Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Service Connection:
Last Successful: Wednesday December 19 2:57 pm
Last Attempt: Wednesday December 19 2:57 pm
Last Status: Succeeded
Next Scheduled: Thursday December 20 5:34 pm
GC: Wednesday December 19 6:17 am
Indexing: Wednesday December 19 11:01 pm
Guide View Cache:
Cache To: Thursday December 27 12:00 am
Thursday December 20 3:55 am
VCM Connection:
Last Attempt: Thursday December 20 4:42 pm
Last Successful: Thursday December 20 4:42 pm
Next Scheduled: Thursday December 20 8:20 pm

The episodes were December 20, 4:00 am and December 20, 4:30 am.
The LivingRoom recorded both episodes as mentioned.
The Office gave the incorrect not record for the episode that should have recorded on December 20, 4:30 am.

This is really bugging me.

Last edited by Blahman : 12-20-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: orignally was goign to write not certain on connect times but then added all that from system info.
Blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
WhiskeyTango

The offending SP may be 'broken'. Try deleting it and recreating it to see if that helps.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
Blahman

I'll give that a try and see if it maintains recording properly thereafter.

Still really would like to understand that but I guess only TiVo could really answer what happened.

Thankfully the copy from the LivingRoom appears to have not had any audio or video glitches.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
mattack

As much as I hate to say it, Tivos have bugs too. I would consider them to be on the more reliable end of consumer electronics generally, but there are still lots of bugs.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Blahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
As much as I hate to say it, Tivos have bugs too. I would consider them to be on the more reliable end of consumer electronics generally, but there are still lots of bugs.
No doubt about that. I've had an S3 since May 2007 and short of a few external expander issues (which caused me to just go internal only ages ago) this is the first time I'd experienced anything really odd.

That said I deleted the OLD SP, removed all the manually scheduled copies of the episode from the To Do, created the new SP with everything the same as the first and the LivingRoom. The new SP picked up the missed episodes that I had manually forced with the first SP. TY WhiskeyTango.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
The offending SP may be 'broken'. Try deleting it and recreating it to see if that helps.
Another thing the OP can try is to change the priority of an SP in the Season Pass Manager to make the TiVo look at everything again.

Situations like this are annoying. If I have shows coming up that I really don't want to miss, I usually check the To Do list before showtime to make sure things look okay.

(And for all the "you shouldn't have to check a TiVo" people -- I use wishlists as well as SPs, and sometimes the WLs pick up shows I don't want. There's no point in letting them record and then throwing them away afterwards, since that might block a wanted recording. It's easier to clean them out of the To Do list beforehand.)