TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
Innerloop

Annoying problem with Season Passes

I am not sure if this is a new series 3 issue or a carryover from past software. I have not owned a Tivo since the DirecTV model which was fairly far behind software-wise at the time I dropped them.

The problem I am noticing is if I have a Season Pass for a normal weekly series like "Lost" or something. Since the guide doesn't display any sort of "will record" indicator, I sometimes click on the show itself and look for the "Recrod As Planned" menu pop-up as a way to confirm that the show will be recordered and nothing had gone haywire (call me paranoid...).

On about 20% of my recordings, however, this old trick does not work. If I click on the show in the guide, the menus that appears is not the "Record as planned" style but the normal style which includes "Record This Program, Season Pass and other Options", etc.

If I select the Season Pass option, then on THAT screen, it will show up as if the show is going to be recorded.

If I select "Record This Program" then it will proceed through the recording process as normal.

As far as I can tell programs of this type ARE being recorded properly, and "double-adding" them due to the menu bug does not appear to create two recordings, just one. Its as if somehow until it goes to the Season Pass menu, the Tivo is not aware of the correct status of that particular show.

So far this has always been on programs on HD channels that are simulcasts of other SD Channels (ie: ABC-HD, NBC-HD). Could it be some confusion between the SD and HD versions of the channels?

Has anyone else seen this problem?
Innerloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
rasandefur

Easy way to see what will record...

Simply hit the Tivo button, then the number 2 button on the keypad. It will show your "to do" list (all the upcoming shows that will record).

You do need to set up the season pass on the right version of the channel (HD vs. Analog). I had to delete several analog season passes and re-create them for the HD channels.
rasandefur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
btwyx
Substantive Member

I think I've seen that as well, my HR10-250 never did that.

The ToDo list isn't that much use, as you have to page through it until you find the time you were just staring at in the guide.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:33 AM   #4
Innerloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasandefur
Simply hit the Tivo button, then the number 2 button on the keypad. It will show your "to do" list (all the upcoming shows that will record).

You do need to set up the season pass on the right version of the channel (HD vs. Analog). I had to delete several analog season passes and re-create them for the HD channels.
Yeah - I know about the To-Do list and its accurate, but I still consider the behavior I am seeing to be a legitimate bug. Sometimes if I'm scanning for upcoming shows in the guide I just want to quickly confirm whether something is set to record or not.

I definitely have the passes setup on the right channels, and the recordings take place on the right channels.

At first I thought this behavior was perhaps from Season Passes I created on the website rather than "by hand" but I am thinking now that isn't the common link after all.

Seems like a fairly low-impact software bug of some sort.
Innerloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
Gene S

Happens to me also.
In the mornings I go through my guide for shows coming on that night. I do this because I have some new shows on "trial." I don't want to give them a season pass yet, but if I notice them on that night I record them.
So when I see a show I want to record, even if I know it has a Season Pass, I'll hit the record button to make sure it is going to record. About 30% of the time the "Record as Planned" Screen does NOT come up even though it is listed in the ToDo List.
So far I haven't been able to discern a pattern of why/when it happens. I only use the S3 for HD shows. My S2 gets the SD only shows.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote