TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #31
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
CableLabs recently approved a certification process for M-Card CC 1.0 host devices, like the S3. TiVo was one of the companies that worked with CableLabs to develop that. Now that there is a procedure TiVo can work on implementing it in the S3.
you have a link- I'd like to read it

thanks
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #32
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

http://www.cablelabs.com/news/pr/200...cp_111306.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #33
MichaelK

thanks-

is there a link to a cablelabs document anywhere of the spec or anything? Or are they just basically saying someplace that you can use an m-card in a UCAR now and nothing else changes?

Says first batch of testing will be in january- so hopefully tivo gets approved then for m-cards....
Old 12-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #34
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

I don't know, I haven't gone looking for the spec.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:04 PM   #35
MichaelK

I looked on their website (which is totally not set up for an ignorant fool (like me) to find anything-LOL) and couldn't find anything.

But see above:
ignorant fool+ hard to find = who knows....

So I'm not sure if there were any new specs published or not...
Old 12-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #36
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
is there a link to a cablelabs document anywhere of the spec or anything? Or are they just basically saying someplace that you can use an m-card in a UCAR now and nothing else changes?
Spec is available here:

http://www.cablelabs.com/udcp/

Listed under the "Optional Test Documents"
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #37
Brennus

So the comcast guy just left... Leaving me 2 M-Cards. I dunno if they work as of yet, but supposedly they are on my acct and im running guided setup now. They seemed to be a bit confused as to which number to give the cable office to put the cards on the acct...

Well the cable cards had to be upgraded to their latest firmware, but then I still didn't receive channels 31-78, but I got the digital channels above 100. I called customer service and it took them another 30 mins to figure out what to change to make it work, and then was very confused when they realized I had two cable cards. It all seems sorted now, but I think there are still lots of confusion about what to do to get everything working properly.

This was in atlanta, btw.

Last edited by Brennus : 10-04-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Brennus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #38
Capn Jack

Thread died in its tracks... well they work. I have 2 M-cards in the S3 and they work fine. Still no VOD as stated above.
Capn Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #39
dan2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
Has anyone had a successfull Multi-Stream card install with Comcast?

The bad news is that my S3 didn't arrive today (ordered 9/12 w/2Day). UPS shows it as set for 2-day as-ordered (not the 1-day uplift as indicated in other threads) with it hitting their TX Hub at 9PM Friday. This should mean delivery tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunatly this also meant I had to bump (for the 2nd time) my AM Comcast appointment out from Tomorrow AM until Friday.

The potential good news is that while I was on with Comcast he said that I should be getting a Multi-Stream card and would only need one in the Tivo S3. He was the first person at Comcast I had talked to who seemed to have any clue about CableCards. He modified my order to a single card.

Am I going to be really bummed out on Friday with a single-stream card?

I am in the SF/East Bay Area Market.
OK. I just bought a S3 HD Tivo and when I went to Comcast here in Houston, was told that I only need 1 Multi-stream card. When I set everything up, it all worked fine except the premium channels. When I go to a premium channel, I get a screen that shows all the information on the card and network. At the top it says, "This Screen is dieplayed on behalf of your cable provider." I contacted Support at Comcast (took 3 times because they kept directing my call to a dead number) and the last person I spoke with said that a single multistream card will not work in the S3 Tivo. He said I need 2 multistream cards. He said even the single stream cards won't work which is interesting because I have another S3 HD Tivo with 2 regular cards and they work fine.

Anybody have any ideas? Is it just Comcast Houston (formerly Time Warer) or am I dealing with a bunch of idiots?
dan2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #40
rvsj

S3s require two cable cards. They can be S cards or M cards.
You said that you have an S3 HD TiVo. Which is it? An S3 or an HD?
An HD can use one M card or two S cards.
rvsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #41
Adam1115
20,000!!!

I'm running a M Card and an S Card in my series 3. Works great.

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:40 AM   #42
geekylinuxkid
geek

you need two cards for the Series 3 Tivo HD? i have an m card in mine from comcast that i installed today. it seems to be working alright recording two channels at once.

i dont have the xl as i didnt feel the need to purchase one as i dont have thx speakers (do they even exist yet?) and i can upgrade the unit myself to a bigger drive.
geekylinuxkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #43
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekylinuxkid View Post
you need two cards for the Series 3 Tivo HD? i have an m card in mine from comcast that i installed today. it seems to be working alright recording two channels at once.

i dont have the xl as i didnt feel the need to purchase one as i dont have thx speakers (do they even exist yet?) and i can upgrade the unit myself to a bigger drive.
Two boxes-

One is called the series 3, requires two for dual tuning, the other is called the "TiVo HD" and only needs one.

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #44
JoeTaxpayer

Ok. Pardon my ignorance, Adam. I just picked up a TCD648250B, seller listed it as TiVo HD. Is this a One Card guy? I bought it because all notes showed it was THX certified.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #45
aegrant00

Comcast and M-Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
Has anyone had a successfull Multi-Stream card install with Comcast?
As Comcast is going to ALL-DIGITAL on Feb 12th, I ordered a new TiVo HD and just had a MultiStream Cable Card installed successfully.

They actually refer to it as a Tivo Card
aegrant00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #46
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegrant00 View Post
As Comcast is going to ALL-DIGITAL on Feb 12th
[citation needed]

YOUR local Comcast branch may be going all digital, but that is not true of everyone, as far as I know.

(For example, I get 2 through low 30s analog, mostly broadcast stations + Discovery + CSPAN (talking heads to use to go to sleep to))
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #47
cjv2

Probably true that all of Comcast is going all-digital eventually, but certainly not on Feb 12th. There are lots of folks in the Atlanta metro area who have been advised of later dates than that (or have not been notified of a date at all, even though "it's coming.")