TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Tivo HD with clock

Ok I have no idea if this is the right place to look or ask. But I"m getting ready to add my 3rd Tivo. I really like my Tivo with the clock display on the front is that Tivo still around and if so can I buy one brand new in the box?

Thanks for any help I can get
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I believe you are referring to the Series 3 original Tivo which isn't being made any more. You may be able to find it on ebay or amazon.com, perhaps used.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Videodrome
tivo - please wait..

Getting rid of the LED display was the biggest disappointment for me, when i bought the HD XL. It should be on all models.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Yes thats it. Thanks I will try shopping around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I believe you are referring to the Series 3 original Tivo which isn't being made any more. You may be able to find it on ebay or amazon.com, perhaps used.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Thanks found it on Amazon just got it brand new in box with wrapping still on it. I think this is the best Tivo just the way it was made it just seems to be better quality. Can anybody tell me the difference if any from this Series 3 and the XL other then the front display? Thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
Thanks found it on Amazon just got it brand new in box with wrapping still on it. I think this is the best Tivo just the way it was made it just seems to be better quality. Can anybody tell me the difference if any from this Series 3 and the XL other then the front display? Thanks
Here's a chart comparing the Series 3 to a Tivo HD (Not XL) but the only difference in the XL and the Tivo HD is that it is THX certified and has increased storage space. Everything else should be the same:

http://hd.engadget.com/2007/10/23/tivo-hd-vs-series3/
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Great thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Here's a chart comparing the Series 3 to a Tivo HD (Not XL) but the only difference in the XL and the Tivo HD is that it is THX certified and has increased storage space. Everything else should be the same:

http://hd.engadget.com/2007/10/23/tivo-hd-vs-series3/

Old 02-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Did you notice if you clicked on the S3 Tivo image in here that it will take you to the amazon.com tivo page?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
You will need TWO cablecards in the Series 3 (and thus likely increased monthly cost to you) due to hardware limitations and/or Tivo being unwilling to fix a bug (I don't think that has ever been 100% conclusively decided either way).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Gavroche

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You will need TWO cablecards in the Series 3 (and thus likely increased monthly cost to you) due to hardware limitations and/or Tivo being unwilling to fix a bug (I don't think that has ever been 100% conclusively decided either way).
And you may have to argue with your cable provider that the second card should not incur an "Additional Digital Outlet Fee."

Good luck!
Gavroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Thanks for the info everybody. And yes I did have to fight with them over the additional fee and also the fee to come out and install I already own one of the original S3's have had it for five years Tivo even let me beta test software and be part of beta testing for the TA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavroche View Post
And you may have to argue with your cable provider that the second card should not incur an "Additional Digital Outlet Fee."

Good luck!

Last edited by Surrealone : 02-05-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling error