TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #211
RichB

New Faceplate fixed the problem

I have two TiVo S3's. The newest one is yellow and the older one is orange.

I swapped the faceplates and the IR problem is gone. Since we know everything including the software was the same, I think we know conclusively that there is the issues is with the Faceplate/IR receiver.

Too bad TiVo wont just ship you a new faceplate.

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #212
mblivice

S2 - same IR problem with a Sharp Acquos

I'd like to try the interior Press & Seal remedy with my S2 - is anything different that I should do, or be aware of, when opening up my unit, compared to opening up a S3? Thanks so much!
mblivice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #213
sherylking

Yellow legal pad paper helps

Not wanting to open up the box, I tried a white grocery bag over the front. A little better. Then I tried a piece of paper from a yellow legal pad. That works much better. Does this make it a legal solution?
sherylking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #214
Kit_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5477
Do any of you have experience with using a discrete flasher stuck near the S3 sensor. I must say that even the S2 was very sensitive to IR flasher overload. The position of the flasher was critical. I heard from the Universal Remote field techy’s that the TIVO units are sensitive to placement of a discrete flasher.

But again, my question is has anyone had good luck using a dedicated flasher attached somewhere on the S3 sensor window or near it?
FWIW, I use a Xantech IR repeater system. My IR sensor is the non-plasma version of the Dinky-link (Xantech P/N 480B-30/RP), located about 8 " below my 50" Panasonic 9UK plasma. My equipment rack is ~15 feet away, at a 90° angle to the display. I use Xantech blink IR emiiters (p/n 283M) on each component, including a series 3 Tivo, and performance has been excellent.

Prior to installing the Xantech system, I had an MX-850 RF remote with an RF/IR repeater, and it worked equally well. I switched to Xantech primarily so my family could continue to use the peanut remote.

I did not find IR flasher placement to be critical with either of these setups. My Tivo was purchased in February, but I don't know the date of manufacture.

Kit
San Diego, CA

Last edited by Kit_C : 03-19-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Kit_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #215
skip-those-ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
I have two TiVo S3's. The newest one is yellow and the older one is orange.

I swapped the faceplates and the IR problem is gone. Since we know everything including the software was the same, I think we know conclusively that there is the issues is with the Faceplate/IR receiver.

Too bad TiVo wont just ship you a new faceplate.

- Rich
I've been using the glad wrap press n seal fix for 9 months now. I just called Tivo thinking they must have a fix for it by now. Not a chance. They will only ship me a replacement unit and then I have to go through the Comcast root canal procedure again to reset the cable cards. I say no thanks to that Comcast installation nightmare. And I guess that's a chargeable service call as well. Tivo will not send me a replacement face plate. I even offered to BUY a new face plate as a spare part or replacement part. They told me that they do not sell parts for a Tivo in any way. I offered to sign whatever waiver or release they wanted if I could buy a spare part, but they said no to that too!

These people at Tivo are unbelievable. I could never imagine buying a product where you can't get spare parts. But it looks like I inadvertently did just that.

Perhaps I'll try the yellow legal pad paper that a previous poster mentioned. Does anyone know if that works better than press n seal (outside of unit)? What about press n seal on inside of unit? Is that better?

Oh, BTW, our kitchen oven recently had a broken LED readout. I quickly found a website that sells spare parts, bought one and installed it with complete success. Too bad Tivo is not that flexible. The company is not very well run, IMO, and the stock price reflects that.

Last edited by skip-those-ads : 07-06-2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling
skip-those-ads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #216
avwheeler

I was very glad to find this thread, although I am continuing to have problems. I just purchased a new Tivo HD XL unit. You would think with all the reported complaints that Tivo would have figured out that they need to use a different IR sensor in their new units, but no. I have a new Vizio VO47L LCD television. Out of the box, the Tivo remote would not work. They are sending a new remote. In the meantime, I decided to borrow a friend's Tivo remote to see if it changed the situation. No. I then went and purchased a different Tivo unit. Same problem. At this point, I started doing online research and found out about the IR interference issue. When I turn off my television, my remote works just fine. Tried tape, nope. Tried an IR interference sensor. Nope. Tried foil. Nope. Since I don't plan on sitting two feet away from my Tivo box in order to use the remote, I'm going to continue to experiement with box placement. I've also written to Vizio to ask them for their suggestions on how to damp down the IR radiation coming off the television. I will report back, but I wanted to let folks know that this problem continues with the new Tivo boxes. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Last edited by avwheeler : 11-09-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: hit key before posting complete
avwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #217
MacGuruTX

My problem went away after I turned off the Automatic Brightness control on my Sharp LCD.
MacGuruTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #218
kazoolemur

The plastic works!

I have the unfortunate situation that my Tivo faces my 42" Panasonic Plasma and we set out of view of the front of the Tivo. I use a Radio Shack Remote Extender (equal to X-10 power-mid) to relay the remote to the Tivo. I have had significant issues over the years and tried many dsolutions, but the best was to apply a small 1 square piece of plastic shopping bag over the IR sensor on the Tivo S3. I also covered the sensing face of the Remote Extender with the grocery bag.

I cant believe how much better it works. Almost like magic.
kazoolemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #219
Robert Deckman

Another quick solution is to use a single piece of masking tape covering the ir sensor.
Robert Deckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #220
Robert Deckman

My masking tape solution stopped working. Used the press-n-seal method and things seem to working ok.

Last edited by Robert Deckman : 08-01-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Robert Deckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #221
blacknoi

I have an orange-tinted OLED S3 (bought when they first came out) on an older DLP rear-projection HDTV.

I want to replace it with a newer Plasma HDTV (Still the best looking picture to my eye personally).

Is it likely I'll have this issue with poor IR reception?

Or another way to phrase the question: Has anything changed in a 2012 plasma TV that my S3 might play nicer with than when this thread was started in 2006?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #222
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

In reality it was never really a huge issue for anything other than a handful of folks, and it also ties in to the automatic room brightness sensor on the TV being part of the problem, turning it off frequently resolves the remote issues.

I speak from having had multiple plasma sets throughout the life of my S3, HD, and now Premieres, and none ever had an issue.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #223
mattack

This was brought up on the HD & Home Theatre podcast, and neither of them had really heard of it... then on the next episode, one corrected and said he searched for it, but they'd never run into it themselves.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #224
blacknoi

Thanks for the feedback. Makes me feel better.