TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2006, 08:33 AM   #121
skip-those-ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvista
It is annoying to have to worry about this but, at least for me, it was easy to "patch" by taping a small square of a plastic grocery bag over the IR sensor (no onion paper handy in the house). Long-term, if Tivo doesn't fix this, I'll probably do the internal press-and-seal fix, but I'm not ready to crack the case just yet.
My first post. Thanks to the mods for a great forum. I have a new Samsung 50 inch plasma w/ a S3. My first HDTV. The picture is just stunning. I just wanted to write in and say thanks to lightrunner for the fix. I put the S3 on the bottom of the rack and put 5 layers of "Press-and-seal" on the outside of the unit (I don't acre about the looks) and the problem is completely fixed.

For those who don't want to get into the box and DO care about the looks of the "press and seal", here's what I found...You will get better accuracy with the remote if you point it to the wall in BACK of you instead of pointing at the TV and the S3. Just point the remote over your shoulder towards the back wall. Works much better, but nearly as good as the "press and seal".

A big HELLO from a noob!

Skippy

Last edited by skip-those-ads : 09-30-2006 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
skip-those-ads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #122
RKofCAL

Remote Control Reception Issue Vanishes

This is very strange. Today the series 3 TIVO suddenly responds to the remote control consistently.

I received a software update at 2:00 a.m. on the 28th, but the problem was present yesterday evening, yet today (the 30th) the problem is gone. There were no further updates that I am aware of. The only difference in the room is that it is the middle of the day and there is a lot of natural light that enters the room. The only other thing I did different last night was to program the 30-second skip.

Here's a very interesting observation. I have both the series 2 and series 3 next to one another, so I can observe the response to remote control button presses simultaneously. If I power the monitor on, and press a remote control button repetetively, both the series 2 and the series 3 TIVO's miss a button press or two immediately after the backlight of the LCD is activated. After a second or two, they both respond perfectly.

I can only assume the problem will re-appear. I power cycled the box (which de-programmed 30 second skip), and the problem is still absent.
RKofCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:06 PM   #123
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKofCAL
I received a software update at 2:00 a.m. on the 28th,
Do you have 8.0.1a or something newer?
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:12 PM   #124
eisenb11

Lightrunner,

If I had a daughter I'd seriously consider letting you marry her!

Your trick worked like a charm! 8 strips of Press'n Seal and the remote went from completely unusable to uber-duber awesome!

Thanks bro!

Edit:

Hmm, I wonder if there are enough S3 users to make Glad wonder why sales of Press'n Seal increased for a month...
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:24 PM   #125
RKofCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
Do you have 8.0.1a or something newer?
I have 8.0.1a.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:36 PM   #126
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
I have 8.0.1a.
I wonder if that addresses the remote issue then. The first thing my machine ever did (first time, and after the drive upgrade) was to install 8.0.1a. I wonder if there's a correlation between remote issues and 8.0.1/8.0.1a. But I never had any remote issues anyway. (And I have a Plasma display.)
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #127
SeanTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocktar
I had not had any S3 IR issues until last night when I was using my laptop in close proximity to it (approximately five feet away). It turns out that the S3 gets totally confused by whatever Windows XP is sending out the IR port every five seconds.

It had the practical effect of making response to the remote very sluggish, sometimes missing button presses -- sometimes catching up on five or six of them all at once.

No other device in my cabinet is affected like this.

Just a heads up in case you're sitting next to your TiVo while typing away on the forums and beating your head against the wall about the IR issues.
Thank you! I had worked my way through all the possibilites mentioned in this thread and was about to call Tivo to get a replacement box. My problem was somewhat intermittent (the laptop is not always on and not always in the living room) but I was getting fed up. I had the no resonse about every 4-5 keystrokes but no queued up commands. Still annoying as hell.

One I took the laptop out of the room, voila. Works like a champ, now.

I have a HP nc6000 with win XP

Thanks again fo posting.
SeanTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #128
RKofCAL

More Clues

I just tried the Remote, and it is once again not working.

Now, here's the interesting part. If I turn on the ceiling lights in the room, it starts working with the monitor on or off. Turn off the lights, it works only when the monitor is turned off.

My ceiling lights are fairly bright and hence I never turn them on at night.

So, it appears that the ambient light in the room is a factor to this mystery.

Perhaps the TIVO is setting a gain parameter in the IR receiver which amplifies the IR noise in such a way that it saturates. When the ambient light conditions are very high it may lower the gain so it is in the linear range.

Here's another interesting experiment I tried. Shining a regular low power flashlight at the IR receiver also fixes the problem (the batteries are almost dead). Shining an LED flashlight has no effect.

This may be the smoking gun.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #129
RKofCAL

One other thing

Oh, and one other thing, if I take a thin napkin, an droop it over the IR receiver, such that it attenuates everything arriving at the sensor, it works fine. Remove the napkin, it fails.

Hence the lightrunner solution is once again shown to work.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:48 PM   #130
TostitoBandito

I don't have a plasma display but I have been noticing some funny remote behavior as well.

At the moment I have noticed the Tivo does not respond to remote commands which are made in fairly rapid succession, like scrolling quickly through a list. It will get the first one, and then ignore all the successive commands, even if I stick the remote out right in front of the sensor while I am doing it. Yes, the light on the remote is lighting up for each input I make. I only started to notice this tonight while the room was fairly dark, so that may have an impact.

Well, I didn't try this earlier because I didn't honestly think the batteries that shipped with the Tivo would be dead after a week, but...

I replaced the batteries and the difference is night and day. This is somewhat disturbing because either the remote is draining batteries like crazy even when not being used, or the batteries they shipped were nearly dead.

Last edited by TostitoBandito : 10-01-2006 at 12:26 AM.
TostitoBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #131
MacGuruTX

Sharp Aquos, Turn off OPC

For those of us with Sharp Aquos units, I went and turned off OPC completely in the Video menu and now have no remote problems. Thanks to MichaelK for the initial insight!
MacGuruTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #132
l_emmerdeur

As promised, I am reporting in on my new Panasonic TH-50PX600U and Tivo S3 remote control experience.

I have the S3 on the bottom shelf of a Sanus Systems NF203c TV stand, with an Explorer 3250HD STB on top of it (temporary!), and the plasma on the top shelf. The plasma is placed toward the back of the shelf, so the screen is about 2 feet above and a foot or so behind the S3.

I have experienced no problems using the S3 remote with the S3 or with the older S2 (I am using the new remote for both).

Please note that I have stated in a previous post that when I had placed a bright floor lamp near the S3 (the light source was about a foot or so from the front of the S3) I did have remote issues. In that case, I had to hold the remote almost directly in front of the face of the S3 for my button presses to register, and the further away I held it, the less reliable it became. I add this disclaimer in case people thought I received a "lucky" S3.
l_emmerdeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #133
lightrunner

Hope all is well guys. Just a follow up, my coworker finally got his replacement (RMA) Tivo S3 this evening. It was brand new as Tivo guarantees if its been purchased under 30 days. I guess they send you a new one if you are experiencing issues with your S3 and its been under 30 days since the purchase. He plugged it in right away and noticed the same remote control issue. He was pretty fed up by the time he called me and asked me for this post to follow the glad press n seal directions. Anyway, my tivo is still working great. It's good to see so many of us coming up with different fixes. Good luck all.
lightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #134
RKofCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrunner
Hope all is well guys. Just a follow up, my coworker finally got his replacement (RMA) Tivo S3 this evening. It was brand new as Tivo guarantees if its been purchased under 30 days. I guess they send you a new one if you are experiencing issues with your S3 and its been under 30 days since the purchase. He plugged it in right away and noticed the same remote control issue. He was pretty fed up by the time he called me and asked me for this post to follow the glad press n seal directions. Anyway, my tivo is still working great. It's good to see so many of us coming up with different fixes. Good luck all.
On my last call into customer support, the representative admitted to several reports of IR interference, with the common theme of TIVO placement and room lighting having effects on the severity. He suggested that the issue is being worked and held out hope for a software fix. He also stated the problem is not that widespread.

I suggested that they recreate the problem and not issue an RMA to anyone experiencing this issue unless it passes in that environment. This is obvious, I would expect they are implementing something.

My RMA has not yet shipped. I am hopeful that there is a screen being put into place or a hold pending a software fix. I'll post the results when I do receive the RMA.

How quickly did his RMA ship, was it right away?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #135
besposito

I had the same problem with my 50" Panasonic Plasma.

I have a media cabinet directly below my plasma. When setting up my TiVo, I originally had it on top of the cabinet, just below the plasma. When I would use the remote I had the same problems mentioned here.

Once I moved the the S3 inside the cabinet (the cabinet has glass doors on front), the problem went away. It appears that if the S3 is placed somewhere that it does not receive direct interference/light from the plasma then it works find. If the S3 is close enough to the plasma so that the "light" from the plasma reflects upon the IR sensor it then cause problems.

Trying putting your S3 in a cabinet if possible.
besposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #136
lightrunner

Quote:
On my last call into customer support, the representative admitted to several reports of IR interference, with the common theme of TIVO placement and room lighting having effects on the severity. He suggested that the issue is being worked and held out hope for a software fix. He also stated the problem is not that widespread.

I suggested that they recreate the problem and not issue an RMA to anyone experiencing this issue unless it passes in that environment. This is obvious, I would expect they are implementing something.

My RMA has not yet shipped. I am hopeful that there is a screen being put into place or a hold pending a software fix. I'll post the results when I do receive the RMA.

How quickly did his RMA ship, was it right away?
His RMA took about 14 days. Tivo did state to him that both plants were experiencing delays. He also mentioned that his new replacement had a September build date as to August which was the original.
Please do keep us posted when your RMA comes in. Best.
lightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #137
RichB

If there is a hardware fix, I would prefer just a replacement faceplate

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #138
MichaelK

Since you have to take the cover off and be exposed to the unshielded power supply and disconnect an reconnect the ribbon cable to the front, I doubt it will be a user installbale fix (if they come up with a filtering faceplate).
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:16 AM   #139
rodneyw1

Lightrunner,

Thanks so much for the press-n-seal fix. I have two Series3's with a 42" Plasma and at times they were almost unuseable. It took less than 10 minutes each for the "Upgrade" and they both work 100% now.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #140
sammick

I just blocked the sensor partially externally, and the romote works fine ( Panasonic plasma )

--waiting for Tivo to do the fix--I don't want to open an $800 machine--

Called Tech support 3 times--they are clueless--They are sending me a new remote--despite my telling them that my Universal has the same problem.

Someone has to push Tivo to do a fix--
sammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #141
The TiVo Dude

Sharp Aquos here.

Once it warms up, remote works like a charm.

Only problem is when TV is first on.
The TiVo Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #142
jacksonian

I have a Pioneer 6070. Absolutely no problems with the S3 remote.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:41 PM   #143
bocktar

I wonder if the protective plastic that's on the S3 front panel when it comes out of the box attenuates the signal in a manner similar to the plastic wrap?
bocktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #144
sammick

I had the problem with and without the plastic wrap--the only solution for me was to partially block the sensor.

I did it externally with a small desk thermometer--but any small object would probably do.

I thought perhaps a picture on the wall opposite the T.V. and Tivo might be causing the reflections--so I removed it--still the same problem--

only partial blocking worked.

My guess is a hardware fix but who knows?

I am using the latest Tivo software.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #145
sammick

Is it my imagination or do others think that the pic on the Tivo is FAR superior to that on the Comcast Motorola box.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #146
sammick

Finally--
I just attached a small circular piece of opaque material to the outside of faceplate to cover the sensor--

Works like a charm

All the Tivo engineers have to do is send those of us who are having problems a small sticky to attach to the faceplate and it will solve all our problems.

Wake up Tivo!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #147
RKofCAL

Issue resolved?

FYI,

I spoke to TIVO support yesterday, my RMA has still not shipped. I asked whether there was a factory fix for the remote control issue, and he stated that he had a notice to that effect.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:51 PM   #148
eisenb11

Honestly, you'd think the chances of a RMA solution fixing the problem right now is pretty minimal.

From the way things look, it's a design problem. I'm waiting for Tivo to actually fix it by changing the hardware, cover, or something before I'm calling in for a RMA.
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #149
jacksonian

I still have had zero problems with my S3 sitting on top of my A/V cabinet about 4 inches below my Pioneer 6070 plasma. So I'm unclear about the "design problem". You would think that this would be worst case scenario wouldn't you?
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #150
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian
I still have had zero problems with my S3 sitting on top of my A/V cabinet about 4 inches below my Pioneer 6070 plasma. So I'm unclear about the "design problem". You would think that this would be worst case scenario wouldn't you?
We are all happy for you. However, this information has not caused my S3 to work any better in the credenza below my Panasonic 657UY. My case remains open with TiVo with no response.

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote