TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #91
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator
Since Tivo is claiming they are the "Lexus" of DVR's, I expect them to not only fix the problem but pay all shipping costs for replacement units. What it costs them to do it is not my concern.
dont hold your breath.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #92
eisenb11

Quote:
Since Tivo is claiming they are the "Lexus" of DVR's, I expect them to not only fix the problem but pay all shipping costs for replacement units. What it costs them to do it is not my concern.
Let's see them fix the problem first... then we'll worry about shipping costs
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #93
lightrunner

I am wondering, that the reason for such limited releases in the stores and online at tivo.com is that tivo is using early adopters as somewhat of Final Release testers much like software vendors do post beta. I spoke to a sales manager at my local Best Buy and he stated that they have only been seeing two to three of these new S3's a week if that.
One of my co-workers had the 's3 remote with plasma' issue and requested a replacement from tivo. He had two options A) They can cross ship a replacement but he would have to put a deposit of the full price of a new Tivo. B) Tivo would wait for his S3 to hit their RMA department before they send him a replacement. He opted for A) and forked up the deposit. It has been nearly two weeks and I hear him on the phone all the time checking the status of his replacements. Tivo of course got his already and they refunded his deposit but they have not shipped his replacement as of yet. The Reason - they don't even have replacements in yet to ship.
I am seeing some posts online and some are arguing that the interference is not Tivo's fault its the manufacturer of the display. Well then why does my DVD player not have this problem? Why does my DVR not have this problem? Why does my receiver not have this problem? AND YES THEY ARE ALL IR NOT RF.
If Tivo doesn't fix this problem the IR support calls will only get worse when the stores start carrying a good stock of them.
lightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:33 PM   #94
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrunner
I am wondering, that the reason for such limited releases in the stores and online at tivo.com is that tivo is using early adopters as somewhat of Final Release testers much like software vendors do post beta. I spoke to a sales manager at my local Best Buy and he stated that they have only been seeing two to three of these new S3's a week if that.
One of my co-workers had the 's3 remote with plasma' issue and requested a replacement from tivo. He had two options A) They can cross ship a replacement but he would have to put a deposit of the full price of a new Tivo. B) Tivo would wait for his S3 to hit their RMA department before they send him a replacement. He opted for A) and forked up the deposit. It has been nearly two weeks and I hear him on the phone all the time checking the status of his replacements. Tivo of course got his already and they refunded his deposit but they have not shipped his replacement as of yet. The Reason - they don't even have replacements in yet to ship.
I am seeing some posts online and some are arguing that the interference is not Tivo's fault its the manufacturer of the display. Well then why does my DVD player not have this problem? Why does my DVR not have this problem? Why does my receiver not have this problem? AND YES THEY ARE ALL IR NOT RF.
If Tivo doesn't fix this problem the IR support calls will only get worse when the stores start carrying a good stock of them.

I'm wondering if they're not waiting for refurbs to become available before shipping out exchange units. These are brand new and it may take some time before they get refurbs in to send out. Tivo does do refurbs for exchanges, right? Not new units.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #95
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Since Tivo is claiming they are the "Lexus" of DVR's [ ... ]
Where is TiVo making this claim?
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:13 PM   #96
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
What is your point, that we should not expect their remotes to work or that this is not a top of the line product

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #97
Innerloop

Quote:
Every time they print the MSRP of $799.99
Innerloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #98
frankygamer

My remote works fine with my plasma. So the problem is obviously a combination of different factors. This isn't something that can be fixed overnight so return your unit or deal with it until Tivo has a fix.
frankygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:31 PM   #99
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
What is your point, that we should not expect their remotes to work or that this is not a top of the line product
I don't think I made a point, I just asked a question.

As for your remote problems, I'm sure you'll get them fixed, top-of-the-line product or not. It would be nice if you didn't have to ship your box back, though. Assuming it cant be fixed in software, maybe TiVo can work out a deal to have the techs at Best Buy and Circuit City do a warranty repair. That would be a lot less hassle for most people and you wouldn't have to start from scratch with your wish lists, season passes and thumb ratings.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #100
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innerloop
Every time they print the MSRP of $799.99
So when Diego ships its $1000 Moxi standalone box next year, that's going to be, what?, a Mercedes or something? 25% more expensive, but not as good -- I guess that's about right.

How much for the Rolls Royce of DVRs? Because that's what I want.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #101
bocktar

Quote:

They don't exactly. But...

"The finest, most civilized way to treat your HD home theatre system."

"Unrivaled Perfection"

"Unbelievably Liberating"

"No other DVR comes close."

"Supreme Handling with the New TiVo® Series3™ Digital Media Recorder Remote"

Maybe each of those needs some fine print, like "mileage may vary", "do not attempt", and "on a closed course".

I'd prefer the Masserati of DVRs myself. (Or are they DMRs now? I'm confused).
bocktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #102
RichB

I am still waiting on a callback from level 2 support. I am running out of time, only 3 days left before I have to activate. I am waiting to see if they offer a replacement unit, thereby avoiding my any issues with transferring my lifetime service.

I think this is frustrating me because other than the remote problem, I love the damn thing.

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #103
bkdtv

I wonder how fast Tivo can fix this problem on their producton line to make the IR receiver more resistance to interference, without requiring the mods discussed in this thread.

Last edited by bkdtv : 09-28-2006 at 11:52 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #104
Schmidt

I have a Sharp Aquos 37" and was considering ordering an S3, UNTIL I READ ABOUT ALL THE REMOTE IR PROBLEMS. $799 plus $200 lifetime plus the cost of a Speakercraft plasma proof IR repeater, when I barely have enough technical savvy to hook up an S3 without the blinkin' Speakercraft gizmo? I've got remote-response time lag problems driving me crazy with my Comcast/Motorola DCT 3412 already without paying $1000 plus for more of the same!
Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #105
highvista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt
I have a Sharp Aquos 37" and was considering ordering an S3, UNTIL I READ ABOUT ALL THE REMOTE IR PROBLEMS. $799 plus $200 lifetime plus the cost of a Speakercraft plasma proof IR repeater, when I barely have enough technical savvy to hook up an S3 without the blinkin' Speakercraft gizmo? I've got remote-response time lag problems driving me crazy with my Comcast/Motorola DCT 3412 already without paying $1000 plus for more of the same!
It is annoying to have to worry about this but, at least for me, it was easy to "patch" by taping a small square of a plastic grocery bag over the IR sensor (no onion paper handy in the house). Long-term, if Tivo doesn't fix this, I'll probably do the internal press-and-seal fix, but I'm not ready to crack the case just yet.
highvista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #106
RKofCAL

Intermittent Remote Response

I believe I too have experienced a similar problem to the one others are encountering. I have a Sharp AQUOS LC-45 LCD screen. My symptoms are a little different however (note, I've not performed any tests with the screen off). When I first got the box, the remote seemed completely unfunctional, and I performed setup using the keys on the box. I started noticing some reception to the remote after setup, and it slowly improved over time. After about an hour of intermittent response the reception improved to the point of 100% reception. It seemed almost as if the thing was waking up, and it stayed working great for the rest of the evening.

The next evening, however, it was back to the 1-in-30 response. Once again, slowly over continued use, it improved and eventually returned to 100%.

Last night, I received a software upgrade. I hoped this would fix the problem. Unfortunately, this morning it started as it did before, completely messed up and gradually improving with use. I called tech support, was put through the same song and dance as several have discussed, and they are sending a new remote. Oddly, they are "sure" the remote "will" fix the issue.

My theory is they put some kind of last minute control in the box to address the issue which "trains" to the conditions in the room. When the LCD screen is off, perhaps the training entity slowly reverts to a bad spot. In any event, I will check tonight if the problem returns. If not, I'll assume the new software can maintain the setting.

The key thing to note, the box seems to be able to combat the issue. My S3 box delivery was delayed over a week due to "shipping mix-ups" as TIVO put it, perhaps they were putting in something to combat the issue.
RKofCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:32 PM   #107
RKofCAL

Intermittent Remote Response

Update:

This evening the S3 box was back to being unresponsive to the remote with the LCD TV powered on. I powered off the display, and the S3 box was instantly responsive.

As time went by, the box slowly gained the ability to receive from the remote. Perhaps the LCD monitor produces less interference as it warms up.

I called TIVO with this information. They admit mine was not the first occurrence of this behavior, but they also state that replacing the remote was successful in one situation. Given that my old series2 remote also has the issue it seems unlikely.

TIVO is shipping out a replacement unit. Has anyone had success with a replacement unit?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #108
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKofCAL
I believe I too have experienced a similar problem to the one others are encountering. I have a Sharp AQUOS LC-45 LCD screen. My symptoms are a little different however (note, I've not performed any tests with the screen off). When I first got the box, the remote seemed completely unfunctional, and I performed setup using the keys on the box. I started noticing some reception to the remote after setup, and it slowly improved over time. After about an hour of intermittent response the reception improved to the point of 100% reception. It seemed almost as if the thing was waking up, and it stayed working great for the rest of the evening.

The next evening, however, it was back to the 1-in-30 response. Once again, slowly over continued use, it improved and eventually returned to 100%.

Last night, I received a software upgrade. I hoped this would fix the problem. Unfortunately, this morning it started as it did before, completely messed up and gradually improving with use. I called tech support, was put through the same song and dance as several have discussed, and they are sending a new remote. Oddly, they are "sure" the remote "will" fix the issue.

My theory is they put some kind of last minute control in the box to address the issue which "trains" to the conditions in the room. When the LCD screen is off, perhaps the training entity slowly reverts to a bad spot. In any event, I will check tonight if the problem returns. If not, I'll assume the new software can maintain the setting.

The key thing to note, the box seems to be able to combat the issue. My S3 box delivery was delayed over a week due to "shipping mix-ups" as TIVO put it, perhaps they were putting in something to combat the issue.
\

so my posts above-

the aquos has a setting for the backlight were it senses the ambiant light and adjusts it's brightness accordingly. So at differnt times with differnt lighting conditions the aquos will output more or less IR interference.

Since it works sometimes- try to adjust the brightness setting manually to something lower. I think I have mine set a couple notches from the bottom to get it to work properly.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #109
MichaelK

Quote:
Update:

This evening the S3 box was back to being unresponsive to the remote with the LCD TV powered on. I powered off the display, and the S3 box was instantly responsive.

As time went by, the box slowly gained the ability to receive from the remote. Perhaps the LCD monitor produces less interference as it warms up.

I called TIVO with this information. They admit mine was not the first occurrence of this behavior, but they also state that replacing the remote was successful in one situation. Given that my old series2 remote also has the issue it seems unlikely.

TIVO is shipping out a replacement unit. Has anyone had success with a replacement unit?
replacement remote or replacement series3?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:48 AM   #110
RKofCAL

Hi,

I tried adjusting the OCD brightness, for me it had little effect.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #111
RKofCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
replacement remote or replacement series3?
Both. They immediately dispatched a remote. In my later call recognizing the relationship between monitor on/off and remote response not working/working they agreed to RMA the unit. Rather than send mine back for exchange, I'm "buying" a new unit and will be credited for the existing unit. When the remote arrives, I'll see if it improves the situation.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:00 PM   #112
RKofCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
\

so my posts above-

the aquos has a setting for the backlight were it senses the ambiant light and adjusts it's brightness accordingly. So at differnt times with differnt lighting conditions the aquos will output more or less IR interference.

Since it works sometimes- try to adjust the brightness setting manually to something lower. I think I have mine set a couple notches from the bottom to get it to work properly.
By the way, the interference from the monitor is at it worst when the monitor is powered on after being off for some time. As it heats up the interference gradually reduces. This is my experience and it is very consistent. After about an hour the interference is low enough for the IR sensor to receive the remote signals fairly well (in my case).
Old 09-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #113
bocktar

Are you using a laptop near your S3?

I had not had any S3 IR issues until last night when I was using my laptop in close proximity to it (approximately five feet away). It turns out that the S3 gets totally confused by whatever Windows XP is sending out the IR port every five seconds.

It had the practical effect of making response to the remote very sluggish, sometimes missing button presses -- sometimes catching up on five or six of them all at once.

No other device in my cabinet is affected like this.

Just a heads up in case you're sitting next to your TiVo while typing away on the forums and beating your head against the wall about the IR issues.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #114
MichaelK

Quote:
By the way, the interference from the monitor is at it worst when the monitor is powered on after being off for some time. As it heats up the interference gradually reduces. This is my experience and it is very consistent. After about an hour the interference is low enough for the IR sensor to receive the remote signals fairly well (in my case).

interesting- could be that as it heats up the bulb emits less IR I guess....
Old 09-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #115
RKofCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocktar
I had not had any S3 IR issues until last night when I was using my laptop in close proximity to it (approximately five feet away). It turns out that the S3 gets totally confused by whatever Windows XP is sending out the IR port every five seconds.

It had the practical effect of making response to the remote very sluggish, sometimes missing button presses -- sometimes catching up on five or six of them all at once.

No other device in my cabinet is affected like this.

Just a heads up in case you're sitting next to your TiVo while typing away on the forums and beating your head against the wall about the IR issues.
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the backlight of your laptop is the source of the interference. This may be a nice way people can test whether their S3 is sensitive or not ... it would be a pity to buy a new Plasma/LCD television later in time only to have the S3 rendered useless, with no means of getting the box repaired post warranty exchange period.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:11 PM   #116
MichaelK

Quote:
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the backlight of your laptop is the source of the interference. This may be a nice way people can test whether their S3 is sensitive or not ... it would be a pity to buy a new Plasma/LCD television later in time only to have the S3 rendered useless, with no means of getting the box repaired post warranty exchange period.
I am under the impressiong that the brightness of the particular IR interferring source is the biggest variable not the reciever in the individual tuners. So while one laptop might set the thing off, another brand or model may not.

If people happen to have nightshot video cameras that might be a way to check. I can turn on the nightshot on my camcorder in the picth black, THen I can turn on my LCD to an empty source to get a "black" screen. And the whole room "lights up" for the IR sensing nightshot.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:13 PM   #117
bocktar

Quote:
Nah. It's definitely the IR port. If I cover it with my hand, the problem goes away.

Dell Inspiron D820.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:19 PM   #118
andyf

Quote:
Update:

Better yet, has anyone who sent their unit in for an exchange received a replacement unit?
Old 09-29-2006, 07:34 PM   #119
speacock

Quote:
I believe I too have experienced a similar problem to the one others are encountering. I have a Sharp AQUOS LC-45 LCD screen.
I have the HP LC3200n TV and I'm getting a similar problem. One night it was 4.5 minutes until it was responsive, another night it took over an hour. I have two calls into Tivo but they don't seem to have an answer yet.

Sean
speacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #120
RKofCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocktar
Nah. It's definitely the IR port. If I cover it with my hand, the problem goes away.

Dell Inspiron D820.
I just tried placing my laptop right in front of the Tivo, it caused no noticeable interference.