TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2006, 05:15 AM   #61
slocko

i agree. lightrunner has found a brilliant solution to the problem. bravo!
Old 09-26-2006, 07:39 AM   #62
RichB

Keys Repeat too!

Not only do I get many dropouts, I also get many repeated buttons. This is just as bad. I cannot type in channel numbers.

I cannot tell you how frustrating it to try to program my season passes.

We need TiVo to pay attention to this problem.

I wish I knew if a replacement would fix it.

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #63
shootedit5

Unbelievable! so after sitting around the house with tivo remote in hand and praying that some how the remote will miraculously start working, at around 11pm I decided to try the lighhtrunner method. I was pretty ticked by this time and after waiting on hold for 45 minutes with Tivo support i was fuming. *&*(^ they really need better more support people or maybe this is an epidemic and slamming the call centers. dont know and dont care i just want my $800 tivo sitting on my $700 rack working with my $3000 plasma. I drove to the store since I didnt have any press seal laying around (dont cook much) then cracked open the S3 did the 6 strips (did 4 first but was still noticing some skips) and WHAM it works like a bute now. THANK YOU lightrunner. I am still angry about this whole thing but I feel much better now that my tivo looks and works as it should. Truly genious fix.

RichB did you try the lightrunner method yet? Im tellin ya it works and works great.

Like light runner said we need to email the media about this. Tivo wont pay attention unless their is some publicity.

And thanks LightRunner your a gentleman and a scholar
shootedit5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #64
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootedit5
RichB did you try the lightrunner method yet? Im tellin ya it works and works great.
No and I am hesitant to do so. I think it is nice that he is doing this, but shouldn't TiVo ship and S3 that works with Plasma TVs. There from at least one user that a replacement user works fine in the same location.

I am waiting to see what TiVo has to say about this. I would hate to void my warranty by doing this. Also, I have postponed my hard disk upgrade until this gets resolved.

- Rich
Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 AM   #65
the0rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
No and I am hesitant to do so. I think it is nice that he is doing this, but shouldn't TiVo ship and S3 that works with Plasma TVs. There from at least one user that a replacement user works fine in the same location.

I am waiting to see what TiVo has to say about this. I would hate to void my warranty by doing this. Also, I have postponed my hard disk upgrade until this gets resolved.

- Rich
I doubt the warranty will be nil and void after this. You cant even tell the box was ever opened other than the glad press and seal but what idiot would send it back with the press and seal in it if it had to get serviced. There are no seals like the old boxes use to have with warnings. But if what your saying is true about the warranty then when you open the box for the drive upgrade wouldnt that void the warranty as well? And tivo is stating different things some users are stating that tivo is admitting this to be a problem but you know what when I called them they said they were not aware of it and it wasnt posted in any of their help desk database. And you know there not gonna do a recall because i dont think this is just some firmware update i dont know of any software that can control the IR sensitivity or change the banding on an IR receiver. If tivo is telling people to move their other remotes out of the room or in a drawer then there fix is going to be to use a hood! And that OP who got the replacement didnt put it in the same place if you read carefully he put it on top of the S3 having the problem. The few inches could have made the difference and he hasnt posted since to give us an update.
the0rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:47 AM   #66
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by the0rus
i dont think this is just some firmware update i dont know of any software that can control the IR sensitivity or change the banding on an IR receiver. If tivo is telling people to move their other remotes out of the room or in a drawer then there fix is going to be to use a hood!
I am not following your reasoning here. If the fix requires a hardware fix, they why should there not be a way to get it serviced? Simply because they do not want to or because it would cost too much?

- Rich
Old 09-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #67
Leigh7757

I had this same problem with plasma tv interfering with my new S3 remote. I fixed it last night by repositioning where the TiVo was in my entertainment center. I can't guarantee this will work for everyone, but I can't be the only one who has multiple media devices near my tv.

My TiVo used to sit on the top shelf of the entertainment center on top of my dvd player. The only thing between the tv and the TiVo was a solid pine surface about an inch thick. While this wasn't a problem with my Series 2, my Series 3 was having some serious remote response problems.

Last night I moved the TiVo down to the middle shelf and repositioned some other electronics and now the remote is working perfectly. There are now two ~1 inch thick pieces of wood, a vcr, and a dvd player between my tv and my TiVo, which is now sitting on top of an A/V switch. Additionally, the TiVo is probably 8-10 inches lower than it sat previously.

I realize it's probably a hardware problem I could get fixed, but for the time being I'm not looking to ship my TiVo back for an indefinite amount of time with my lifetime service in limbo. I will most likely contact customer service about it anyway, since for an HD device using a plasma tv is hardly unreasonable.
Leigh7757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #68
the0rus

Quote:
I am not following your reasoning here. If the fix requires a hardware fix, they why should there not be a way to get it serviced? Simply because they do not want to or because it would cost too much?

- Rich
1st tivo doesnt seem to be aware of this problem. I spoke with 3 support reps including 2 second level engineers. They all stated that it wasnt an issue that they were aware of. Usually there are postings on their internal boards but they said there were none and none of them have answered this type of an issue. After I told them about everything that I have done as well as telling them about this thread they said it was most likely a remote control problem so they sent me a new one. Didnt work of course. When I called back they advised that I need to just use a hood. and that was all they can do.
2nd yes it would cost too much. look how long it took for apple, dell etc to recall their laptop batteries and this is life threatening. do you think tivo would honestly do a recall on an IR issue that can be simply fixed with a hood or repositioning the s3 and the fact that not all of their customers including certain plasma and lcd owners are experiencing this issue. In fact they will most likely blame the manufacturer of the plasma or lcd causing the interference cuz technicall it is.
3rd relative to the huge amount of tivo s3's sold and the amount of people posting on this thread there probably isn't that much people (ratio wise) having this issue RELATIVE that is. granted that we know of.

it is possible that certain users got a tivo s3 that was manufactured at a different plant or have IR sensors that were different in some way maybe thats why certain plasma and lcd owners are not having this issue.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #69
l_emmerdeur

I set up my S3 just to make sure it works prior to the Cablecard install in 2 weeks.

I set it up on a shelf near my PC monitor (hooking it up to my Dell monitor as my new 50" plasma arrives on Saturday), and the Tivo's face was about a foot from a bright floor lamp.

Now, mind you, the new Tivo remote has actually improved the responsiveness of my old S2 (I should have gotten a replacement remote a long time ago), so I know the remote can work miracles in and of itself. But with the lamp on, I had to hold the remote almost directly in front of the S3 to get it to respond reliably. Turning off the lamp made this problem go away - in fact, the S3 accepted remote presses from very acute angles, something my S2 could never do.

So blocking any glare from harsh light or a plasma/LCD is necessary for the S3.
l_emmerdeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #70
the0rus

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_emmerdeur
I set up my S3 just to make sure it works prior to the Cablecard install in 2 weeks.

I set it up on a shelf near my PC monitor (hooking it up to my Dell monitor as my new 50" plasma arrives on Saturday), and the Tivo's face was about a foot from a bright floor lamp.

Now, mind you, the new Tivo remote has actually improved the responsiveness of my old S2 (I should have gotten a replacement remote a long time ago), so I know the remote can work miracles in and of itself. But with the lamp on, I had to hold the remote almost directly in front of the S3 to get it to respond reliably. Turning off the lamp made this problem go away - in fact, the S3 accepted remote presses from very acute angles, something my S2 could never do.

So blocking any glare from harsh light or a plasma/LCD is necessary for the S3.

what type of plasma did you order? please keep us posted. i'd be curious to see if you have the same remote control issue that we are having. thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 AM   #71
slocko

Yes, I do expect Tivo to come up with a solution to this problem. When you charge $800 for a device, there is a certain level of customer service that is expected. An ugly hood is not option.

As we can see, lightrunner came up with an inexpensive solution. Tivo can afford to have the affected customers send their unit in for repair if a hardware mod is the only option.

Quote:
do you think tivo would honestly do a recall on an IR issue that can be simply fixed with a hood or repositioning the s3 and the fact that not all of their customers including certain plasma and lcd owners are experiencing this issue.

Last edited by slocko : 09-26-2006 at 03:29 PM.
slocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #72
RichB

Quote:
1st tivo doesnt seem to be aware of this problem. I spoke with 3 support reps including 2 second level engineers. They all stated that it wasnt an issue that they were aware of.
That's funny. They typed the information into a case when I called. I wonder how many people have to call before they become "aware" of it.

Quote:
it is possible that certain users got a tivo s3 that was manufactured at a different plant or have IR sensors that were different in some way maybe thats why certain plasma and lcd owners are not having this issue.
Well that may be, there is case with my name on it now.

- Rich
Old 09-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #73
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocko
Yes, I do expect Tivo to come up with a solution to this problem. When you charge $800 for a device, there is a certain level of customer service that is expected. An ugly hood is not option.

As we can see, lightspeed came up with an inexpensive solution. Tivo can afford to have the affected customers send their unit in for repair if a hardware mod is the only option.
You have to remember as well that they talked up the attractiveness of the unit in your entertainment system. If it is a real issue with certain plasma's they need to address it somehow, even if it's to offer a full refund to those people that bought an incompatible Plasma TV. I guess you should have looked at the hardware compatibility guide before making such a large purchase. Oh there isn't one? Sorry.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #74
QVo

Engadget picked it up...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/26/t...-big-problems/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
QVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #75
RichB

I have a case number from Tech support. Someone will call me in the next few hours. We wen through the find programs and I attempted to type 1234 four times. I never got a clear set of number and I get at least to repeated digits.
Seems to be better in the daytime though.

Perhaps with Engadget TiVo will start to officially "heard of it".
After all, it takes a while for every tech support person to get one call about this issue.

- Rich
Old 09-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #76
the0rus

Finally some damn media. I wonder if engadget have multiple sources or just using this thread. If they do it would be nice to know who else is having this issue.
Congrats lightrunner but sorry they got your name wrong. Oh well i guess some guy named lightspeed will get the credit.
Just an update my Series3 with the official "lightrunner method" is working liking a charm. Props bro mad props
Old 09-26-2006, 12:21 PM   #77
reunis

Hey folks, I'm new to this post but thank gawd I found it. I started having this issue the Monday after the release week. I didn't know what to do. It got to the point that I stopped using the Series3 completely and when the cable guy came to install the CableCards and take away my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD I reluctantly decided to keep 8300HD. I was back to using the 8300HD all over again. Then last night I ran into this thread and tried the Glad Press and Seal which is a great product by the way. I've found uses for it many times.
I'm not very technical but this was a piece of cake. Lightrunners directions were to the T and the pictures of the work were great. Now the remote is working exactly as it should almost better actually but I wouldn't know since it wasn't working before so I can't compare. Today I called Cablevision to take my Explorer 8300HD back only to find out that I have to drop it off at one of their store fronts. I guess they don't do house calls for that. Great fix lightrunner. Quite clever.
I called Tivo support about this as well. They also sent me a remote replacement. When that arrived and it didn't work I called them back the engineer I spoke with was aware of the problem. He said that I was his second call to report this. In fact he asked me first if I had a Plasma or an LCD. I am sure they will come out with a fix maybe similar to the Glad Press and Seal but a little bit more professional.
reunis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:04 PM   #78
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reunis
I am sure they will come out with a fix maybe similar to the Glad Press and Seal but a little bit more professional.
I don't know. It's going to cost them a pretty penny to recall those devices. I wonder if it'll be a snap-on IR hood to make that sleek exterior look even better.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:23 PM   #79
wookl

PVRblog picked this up as well. Publicity is starting to roll. Hope tivo is listening. Keep emailing the media.
wookl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #80
eisenb11

The engineers are very aware of this problem.

I called in and told him I thought I had a bad remote. The first question he asked me was "Do you own a plasma TV?".

I then turned the TV off and the remote was working like a champ (at least as far as the light on the front of the S3 goes... no idea what it was doing with the screen off).

If they didn't know about the problem before, it seems they definately new about it a couple of days ago.

They said they had engineers working on trying to find a fix for the issue.
eisenb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:33 PM   #81
wookl

PVRWire picked up the story as well and have a nice shot of the fix. keep up the media. TIVO WE ARE KNOCKING ON YOUR DOOR!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #82
lightrunner

Thats GREAT! I am very pleased to hear that this is working for you guys as well. I saw the story at engadget. This is such good news. I am sure Tivo is listening and soon (hopefully) they will have a fix. I do hope its a firmware upgrade that can maybe narrow the band of the IR frequency. I would hate to take everything apart and send it back to them. After this fix I decided to cancel my returns but having second thoughts due to the fact maybe it is a manufacturing issue or fabrication methods of the IR sensor. Also good to see Engadget gave us the credit. You gotta love forums.
Keep me posted guys as too how this is working out for you. GOOD LUCK.
lightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #83
wookl

The Glad Press n Seal solution.

http://www.lostremote.com/2006/09/26...ed-by-plasmas/
Old 09-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #84
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrunner
Thats GREAT! I am very pleased to hear that this is working for you guys as well. I saw the story at engadget. This is such good news. I am sure Tivo is listening and soon (hopefully) they will have a fix. I do hope its a firmware upgrade that can maybe narrow the band of the IR frequency. I would hate to take everything apart and send it back to them. After this fix I decided to cancel my returns but having second thoughts due to the fact maybe it is a manufacturing issue or fabrication methods of the IR sensor. Also good to see Engadget gave us the credit. You gotta love forums.
Keep me posted guys as too how this is working out for you. GOOD LUCK.
Woud it be a good plan to first try the press and seal on the outside to see how many pieces you need?

Also, did you tape them in place inside the unit?

I will wait until I get the call from TiVo on my case before I try this, but it is good to know there is a work around. Nicely done.

- Rich
Old 09-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #85
lightrunner

Quote:
Woud it be a good plan to first try the press and seal on the outside to see how many pieces you need?

Also, did you tape them in place inside the unit?

I will wait until I get the call from TiVo on my case before I try this, but it is good to know there is a work around. Nicely done.

- Rich

Great idea to try the press n seal outside first. This way you dont have to play the guessing game and open up the box again to adjust.
No I didn't use any tape. I didn't want there to be any sticky residue (that sometimes adhesive tape can leave) on the back of the Face Plate. The Glad Press 'n Seal is perfect since its slightly sticky and adheres to just about any surface without leaving any residue which is probably a good thing since this is made to store food.
Keep me posted with your Tivo results. Best
lightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:42 AM   #86
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace
I don't know. It's going to cost them a pretty penny to recall those devices. I wonder if it'll be a snap-on IR hood to make that sleek exterior look even better.
I orgiinally was thinking this was a big deal and would require new IR recievers to be installed- what a mess.

But since the glad press and seal works- I'm thinking they can just change the front bezel and add some IR filtering to the plastic.

Still not user friendly since it requires digging into the box and undoing connections- but they can hopefully make a hardware revision some point in the future...
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:16 AM   #87
l_emmerdeur

Quote:
what type of plasma did you order? please keep us posted. i'd be curious to see if you have the same remote control issue that we are having. thanks
Panasonic TH-50PX600U. I will post my results with the remote as soon as I get it this weekend.
l_emmerdeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:34 AM   #88
RichB

I tried Press N Seal Freezer on the outside just to see how many I needed. 4 Strips seems to work.

So you may need less. It may also keep you TiVo fresh

- Rich
Old 09-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #89
MichaelK

i would *GUESS* the amount of press and seal layers depends on how much IR any one particular set is giving off.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #90
HiDefGator

Since Tivo is claiming they are the "Lexus" of DVR's, I expect them to not only fix the problem but pay all shipping costs for replacement units. What it costs them to do it is not my concern.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote