TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
xnamkcor

Tivo Series 3 Power Supply ATX Connector

I have a 20-pin power connector, but the instructions in another thread say I need 8 black wires. I only have 7 on my 20-pin connector.

Is it ok to split or combine black wires?
xnamkcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
CrashHD
I am the me.

What are you attempting to accomplish?
Old 06-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
xnamkcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post
My power supply is working fine. In fact I probably put it through way more stress than I should with repeated powerdowns LOL.

Right now it is 76 degrees Fahrenheit and my TiVo is displaying "46C (Normal" which is 114F.

I never needed the second fan. I think my Scotch Tape modification helped to keep the system cooled properly.

If you look at the TiVo PS connector the wires are actually color coded properly. Your ATX power supply should also be color coded so it is simply a matter of making a chart that says (for example) -

Red on TiVo = red on ATX
White on TiVo = Purple on ATX
Etc

OK I was feeling nice today and dug out my adapter cable. I'll tell you the wire colors I have. The TiVo plug is only 14 pins so the extra section of the plug just hangs in the open. I stuck the wires back into the molex connector on this extra area so they weren't floating around. You could just tape them up if you like.

Get the TiVo HD case open with the front closest to like it is this picture.

I bought a 20 to 24 pin power supply adapter so that I didn't have to modify the power supply itself. Starting with the pin closest to you on the left and then moving towards the back then move to the second column with the pin closest to you on the right side and move towards the back. So in other words the pins on the side farthest from the power supply are 1-7. Those with an * are unused by the TiVo and could be wired however you like or even left empty. I am only including them because my picture shows them.

Pin - Color
1 - orange
2 - black
3 - black
4 - black
5 - red
6 - black
7 - black
* - grey
* - black
* - yellow
* - no wire
* - orange
Column two
8 - orange
9 - no wire
10 - yellow
11 - black
12 - grey
13 - black
14 - black
* - red
* - black
* - black
* - black
* - orange

The TiVo only needs the following six color of wires -
Orange = +3.3 volts
Black = Common/Ground
Yellow = +12 volts
Red = +5 volts
Grey = Power good signal. This is usually +5 volts which doesn't have power until the power supply is stabilized.

Green which is not connected directly to the TiVo. The Green wire needs to be grounded so the power supply turns on.
This
Old 06-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
poppagene
User

see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=412679
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
xnamkcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
see <URL removed>
Yes, I do see that thread. The only mention of the words "black", "common", or "ground" are in the post I quoted.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
CrashHD
I am the me.

As long as the black wire coming out of your atx power supply is a ground wire, you should be able to use it. I'd just split off one of them. The tivo is such a low power device, one wire alone could carry the whole system.

Rewiring an ATX PSU is the hard way to do this. If you have a problem with your original power supply, it is probably the capacitors. If you replace them, you will likely have had your last problem with that power supply.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
xnamkcor

Problem is I don't know how to solder. But I do know how to repin an ATX connector.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
farmermac
Super user

I dont want to sound dickey but if this is a lifetime tivo i would not try to jig the power supply. I'm not against tinkering but it doesn't sound like you are skilled enough with electronics. It's easy to kill electronics.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
CrashHD
I am the me.

There's a guy on ddb that recaps series 3 power supplies for $50.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamkcor View Post
I have a 20-pin power connector, but the instructions in another thread say I need 8 black wires. I only have 7 on my 20-pin connector.

Is it ok to split or combine black wires?
I intend no insult, but if you have to ask that question, you're trying to do something you don't know enough to be safely doing.

Again, the best thing is to tell us exactly what you're trying to do, and with which model TiVo.

If you're trying to replace the TiVo power supply with one from a computer so that you can run more than one SATA drive internally, better to just upgrade to a single 2TB drive.

If you're trying to replace your TiVo's power supply because it isn't working, then it probably just needs no more than $10 worth of replacement capacitors.

We can teach you how to unsolder the old ones and solder in the new ones.

Do you have any money at all to spend on whatever this project is, or is that a big part of the problem?

(been there, done that, couldn't afford the T-shirt or I wouldn't have been there doing that).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:07 AM   #11
xnamkcor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I intend no insult, but if you have to ask that question, you're trying to do something you don't know enough to be safely doing.
I've already done it and I'm unharmed.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamkcor View Post
I've already done it and I'm unharmed.
That doesn't tell us why you were trying to do it in the first place.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote