TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
tootal2

Has the tivo abandoned by tivo since they dont update tivo hd softwear

Why wont tivo update the software for the tivo hd?

Last edited by tootal2 : 05-28-2012 at 08:58 PM.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Because it's an older model and new development is only happening on the Premiere line.

This has always been the case and makes sense business-wise, new development happens on the current model line. It's not "abandoned" since it will work for many years, witness the S1 and S2 units still running out there.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

We can only speculate.
  • TiVo wants you to upgrade to the latest hardware.
  • S3 hardware is not capable of doing what is being asked for in the upgrade request.
  • S3 software and S4 software are completely different and TiVo wants to keep things simple.
  • TiVo has considered S3 platform hardware EOL.

TiVo could be pressured into updating the S3 platform software so that it keeps its basic funtionality if enough people complain.

There is precedent. IIRC, when the DST time span was extended, twice a year S1 Tivos would have the guide data off by an hour for 2 weeks.
TiVo updated the S1 machines (with the help of a community member) after it had been declared EOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
George R

My S3 and HD are running fine as is.
George R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
tootal2

i just wish they would fix the gc problem when using a tuning adaptor. so i would not have to put the tuning adapter on a timer to turn it off 4 hours aday.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
farmermac
Super user

I understand that TiVo wont be adding any new features to my S3 and im OK with that. If there's some sort of major bug discovered, though, i'd expect some support.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
vio2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
Why wont tivo update the softwear for the tivo hd?
Same reason Sony no longer supports the Playstation 2 or Microsoft supports the original Xbox. Electronics companies almost always dedicate their resources to their current hardware and for Tivo, that's now the Premiere series(and has been for a while). The HD models are no longer Tivo's bread and butter. Focusing resources on older, dated technology is bad bad business.

Frankly, the software on the HD's is pretty damn stable anyway. It really isn't worth the money and time to fix a few minor bugs.

Tivo will still give you customer support for your HD and replace it with a refurbished model if it breaks and that's plenty good enough IMO.

And "softWEAR?" Really dude?
vio2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vio2112 View Post

And "softWEAR?" Really dude?
HardWEAR is just too scratchy.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
We can only speculate.
  • TiVo wants you to upgrade to the latest hardware.
  • S3 hardware is not capable of doing what is being asked for in the upgrade request.
  • S3 software and S4 software are completely different and TiVo wants to keep things simple.
  • TiVo has considered S3 platform hardware EOL.

TiVo could be pressured into updating the S3 platform software so that it keeps its basic funtionality if enough people complain.

There is precedent. IIRC, when the DST time span was extended, twice a year S1 Tivos would have the guide data off by an hour for 2 weeks.
TiVo updated the S1 machines (with the help of a community member) after it had been declared EOL.
That S1 fix works but it's not too impressive because the way it works is to either set the TiVo's clock one hour wrong or set the offset from GMT on the listings one hour wrong until the the old DST changeover date they were stupid enough to put somewhere they couldn't get to rolls around.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
Chris Gerhard

TiVo does provide some support for the TiVoHD, mine continue to work great and do everything I expected when I purchased them. Home audio video products that continue to be updated with new features years after release are very rare, the PS3 and XBox 360 are the only examples that come to mind for me.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
Series3Sub

It's a business and TiVo wants everyone to upgrade to the Premiere. This is hardly a new model. Just about every consumer electronics company stops updating devices as the newer one roll out.

I also agree that my S3 platform TiVo's are running much faster and with much more bliss as they are without any need of updates than mu sluggish Premiere. IT TAKES SO LONG TO DO ANYTHING ON MY PREMIERE! Thank goodness for the S3 platform .
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
ehardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
It's a business and TiVo wants everyone to upgrade to the Premiere. This is hardly a new model. Just about every consumer electronics company stops updating devices as the newer one roll out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vio2112
;Same reason Sony no longer supports the Playstation 2 or Microsoft supports the original Xbox.
[START RANT]I don't recall Sony or Microsoft selling Lifetime service contracts. If you are going to sell Lifetime Service, then provide Life Service.

I been a Tivo customer since Dec. 2000 and I think I deserve better.[/END RANT]
ehardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Nit Pick

TiVo still provides service to the S3 platform. They are not obligated to keep improving the software.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
TiVo still provides service to the S3 platform. They are not obligated to keep improving the software.
Absolutely. At some point, it just doesn't make business sense to continue to develop software for a legacy platform. I have Series 1 DirecTiVo units that are 10+ years old that I still use today, and I would be shocked if a software update was released for them at this point. Heck, I even powered up my 12 year old Series 1 standalone TiVo over the weekend and the software version that it is running (3.0) was released in 2002.

That being said, I would not be shocked if another software release for the Series 3 units came out. It's only been a year since 11.0k came out, so anything is possible.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #15
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehardman View Post
I think I deserve better.
Better than what? It works as a DVR, correct? You don't have to pay anything for service, correct?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #16
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
That being said, I would not be shocked if another software release for the Series 3 units came out. It's only been a year since 11.0k came out, so anything is possible.
Will TiVo ever offer a major new release for the Series 3 platform that provides significant new features or functionality? That's very unlikely, and it's not fair to expect it. But if something changes that causes existing features to stop working properly (like a revision by Tribune Media of the format of their program listings), TiVo should release an update to fix that, since that just maintains existing functionality. And they certainly should fix any significant bugs that are discovered in their software.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Will TiVo ever offer a major new release for the Series 3 platform that provides significant new features or functionality? That's very unlikely, and it's not fair to expect it. But if something changes that causes existing features to stop working properly (like a revision by Tribune Media of the format of their program listings), TiVo should release an update to fix that, since that just maintains existing functionality. And they certainly should fix any significant bugs that are discovered in their software.
Yeah, I wouldn't expect any major new functionality on the S3 platform unless it will be a revenue-generator for TiVo. Things like tuning adapter bux fixes, DST updates (let's hope not. ), etc. would be more likely reasons for an update.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That S1 fix works but it's not too impressive because the way it works is to either set the TiVo's clock one hour wrong or set the offset from GMT on the listings one hour wrong until the the old DST changeover date they were stupid enough to put somewhere they couldn't get to rolls around.
Kind of reminds me of the old Turbo Pascal where it wouldn't round up for values of .500000. Had to add in a constant called "fudge_factor".
Old 05-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #19
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Bingo! I agree with you 100%. And I suspect the OP would agree with you. We are not expecting new features or functionality. I get that.

But what is probably a small percentage of Series 3 owners is experiencing is a relatively new problem where the GC won't update with an attached Tuning Adapter. When that happens we eventually lose the ability to get guide data. A group of us figured out the solution, which involves disconnecting the power to the TA on a periodic basis. A royal pain in the ass.

I believe that qualifies as "something changes that causes existing features to stop working properly", as you put it. As such, Tivo should fix it.

My annoyance has caused me to bypass the Premiere and equip an HTPC with a Ceton tuner. I've actually grown pretty fond of it. Certainly not as consumer friendly as a Tivo, but it works for me. And I don't lose guide data with my TA.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #20
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Home audio video products that continue to be updated with new features years after release are very rare, the PS3 and XBox 360 are the only examples that come to mind for me.
Well, those are current-gen products, so both will receive updates for the next year or two until the PS4 and next Xbox come out. I think the Series 1 TiVos got a few years until the Series 2 came out, purely because they were current models.

These days, most products are "current gen" for a year tops - some like computers, TVs, A/V equipment etc. are only current for 6 months, and stuff like cellphones can be current for 3 months or less (though some like iPhones and such usually get up to 3 years of support before abandonment). Longer-life products can receive updates for far longer, like consoles.

And lifetime service is the TiVo service - your TiVo service remains with the same featureset as when you bought it, if not more since then. Just because no new features are being added, doesn't mean you're not getting service - you're still getting guide data and everything.

If TiVo truly abandoned old DVRs, you wouldn't be able to call them up when things break or get basic service - you'd have to buy a brand new box.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
ltxi

I don't know the extent of it but I'm pretty sure my basement workout room HD got a software update within the last couple/few months.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #22
tootal2

You got a ceton card to? Mine has been working good. but sometime the guide does not update till theres 4 days of programing left.

Also i added more memory to my computer and playready stopped working. Any hardware changes to the computer brakes windows drm playready program forcing a reinstall on windows 7.

But i havent used my tivo hd in a month and my tivo still keeps working.

Its nice being able to record 6 channels at one time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Bingo! I agree with you 100%. And I suspect the OP would agree with you. We are not expecting new features or functionality. I get that.

But what is probably a small percentage of Series 3 owners is experiencing is a relatively new problem where the GC won't update with an attached Tuning Adapter. When that happens we eventually lose the ability to get guide data. A group of us figured out the solution, which involves disconnecting the power to the TA on a periodic basis. A royal pain in the ass.

I believe that qualifies as "something changes that causes existing features to stop working properly", as you put it. As such, Tivo should fix it.

My annoyance has caused me to bypass the Premiere and equip an HTPC with a Ceton tuner. I've actually grown pretty fond of it. Certainly not as consumer friendly as a Tivo, but it works for me. And I don't lose guide data with my TA.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #23
WO312

Quote:
You got a ceton card to? Mine has been working good. but sometime the guide does not update till theres 4 days of programing left.

Also i added more memory to my computer and playready stopped working. Any hardware changes to the computer brakes windows drm playready program forcing a reinstall on windows 7.

But i havent used my tivo hd in a month and my tivo still keeps working.

Its nice being able to record 6 channels at one time)
I got the USB. I don't check the guide data so I have no idea when it updates. I just know I'm not losing it.

Yes, I changed the processor and Playready broke. MS is anal about DRM, IMHO. As I said, not as consumer friendly as Tivo, but it works well for me.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
I don't know the extent of it but I'm pretty sure my basement workout room HD got a software update within the last couple/few months.
No it didn't.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #25
ltxi

Huh.....wasn't paying that much attention, but thought something minor on the GUI changed fairly recently. Mea culpa.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #26
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Huh.....wasn't paying that much attention, but thought something minor on the GUI changed fairly recently. Mea culpa.
There was an update to the TiVo VOD servers.
The Video On Demand screen got an HD makeover.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=484359

F*CK CANCER!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #27
tootal2

I got the pcie one. I proberly would of bought new tivo if had 4 tuners with ota. i want ota tuners so got the ceton. i have 4 cable tuners and 2 ota tuners. I can record 6 shows at one time. I need ota to record metv

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
I got the USB. I don't check the guide data so I have no idea when it updates. I just know I'm not losing it.

Yes, I changed the processor and Playready broke. MS is anal about DRM, IMHO. As I said, not as consumer friendly as Tivo, but it works well for me.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #28
lpwcomp

Quote:
I need ota to record metv
Your cable system doesn't carry the local sub-channel that is showing MeTV?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #29
haplo888

I would like to see the new Netflix UI on my HD.
haplo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #30
tootal2

Me-tv is the only sub channel they dont carry. But they are talking about adding it. I watch a lot of me-tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Your cable system doesn't carry the local sub-channel that is showing MeTV?