TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
aokmcd

Help with Series 1 Phillips and external modem

I have been reading the forums for a week, trying all the tips, and still can't get my tivo to connect. I have a series 1 phillips. The internal modem got hit by lightening so I was successfully using a USR 33600 external modem that I bought on Ebay, that came prefigured. That one apparently got hit by lightening this Aug, despite using a surge protector. The modem said "not connecting" when dialing. So, I ordered another USR 56K modem from Ebay, but this one did not say it had been used for tivo.

I can hear the modem get a dial tone, then making modem sounds, then a "bong" type sound, then it says "Failed, service not answering". I already checked, there is only 1 number available for my area, and I have the correct one. Everything was working fine before, and nothing changed.

I have tried the following dip switch settings and dial prefixes, to no avail. First, I tried matching the setting from the 33600:
1.D 2.U 3.D 4.U 5.D 6.U 7.U 8.D, with prefix ,#319

Then:

1.D 2.U 3.D 4.U 5.D 6.D 7.U 8.D
and
1.D 2.U 3.D 4.U 5.D 6.U 7.D 8.D

I tried all these prefixes (with ,# in front) 311, 319, 338, 357, 396 on each dip switch combo.

I had read on the forums that since the modem had dip switches, it did not need to have commands sent to it, so have not done that. (Don't even know how).

I have a wireless DSL network with a motorola router, and tried using an extra wireless thingy I had, hooked up through several serial ports to a usb adapter, and although quite entertaining to look at, alas did not work, probably because I don't know how to get my pc to recognize it. It did get through dialing to connecting, though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My Series 1 has a lifetime service on it, and I hate to lose it. Can't afford to switch to a Series 3 to transfer the lifetime.
aokmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
mick66
Dirty Burger

1.D 2.U 3.D 4.U 5.D 6.U 7.D 8.D - this should work.

Your network has absolutely nothing to do with this. The modem needs to be connected to a phone line with a DSL filter on it.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
aokmcd

Thanks for your reply. I tried the dip switch settings given, with prefixes of 311, 319, 357, 338, and 396 (all with ,# in front) with no luck. I get the dial tone, then modem dialing, then various modem sounds, then a "bong" sound and what sounds like the first 2 notes of the "please check your number and try again" sound when you dial a wrong number. Then, the "Failed. Service Not Answering" screen. A couple of times the modem didn't dial out, and I got the operator message right away.

By the way, sorry I didn't make myself clear about the DSL. I had given up on the modem connecting and was trying to connect through the DSL instead. That's why I mentioned it.

Any suggestions on different dialing prefixes to use with the dip switch settings? All my phone jacks have a DSL filter on them.

Thanks!

Last edited by aokmcd : 09-19-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:24 AM   #4
mick66
Dirty Burger

IIRC, there's a setting for how fast the Tivo dials, you may want to set it to a slower speed.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
aokmcd

Quote:
IIRC, there's a setting for how fast the Tivo dials, you may want to set it to a slower speed.

Isn't that what the dial prefixes do? I tried all the options I knew of - 311, 319, 357, 338, and 396 (all with ,# in front). I thought 396, for example, is 9,600 speed, slow but I would be thrilled to get it.

Now the modem will dial through, then there is a silence, then I can hear the line disconnect, then I get the "service not answering" message.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:52 PM   #6
mick66
Dirty Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokmcd
Isn't that what the dial prefixes do?
No, read my last response again and then think about it.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:35 AM   #7
aokmcd

As far as I know, there is no place to set the dialing speed in TIVO. If you know of one, please enlighten me. Otherwise, could you be a little less cryptic?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:11 AM   #8
aokmcd

Can anyone else offer any help on this, please?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
TheLievense

Same problem

I have the EXACT same problem and issues.

Original 14hr Phillips Tivo Series 1, Modem died on me over a year ago
Purchase US Robotics 33.6K External Modem, set it up and it worked fine
Modem suddenly became unresponsive, went on eBay purchased US Sporster 56.6K External Modem
Make Test Call, it dials fine, modem on Tivo's end picks up, they start to handshake then "Bong, Bong, Bong" and the call drops on the modem, then 20-30 seconds go by and the Tivo reports that there was an error dialing

I plan on picking up a Series 3 but it will likely come as a Christmas gift which means for the next 2-3 months I'm stuck with the Series 1, I really would like to get guide data back so that recording the fall season isn't such a PIA.

Any help would be much appreciated.
TheLievense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:04 PM   #10
otis

I had the same situation...internal modem went dead, bought pre-configured modem which also died, so I bought a "new" 56k modem... and it sounded like it connected, but tivo kept saying there was no answer or some such error. so i read in this thread:

***apparently I can't post the link because of restrictions...search ARCHIVE2 for a thread titled, "External Modem SUCCESS!!!" ***

that you can enter in some codes using hyper terminal. I plugged in my modem to my desktop and entered one of the codes and it worked. Its a LOOOONG thread, but I just did a search for my particular brand of modem and typed in the code. I honestly have no idea what the codes mean... the first couple of codes I typed in just gave me an error message. third time ended up being a charm.

I don't think the "pro's" are responding because it sounds like it's been discussed to death in that previous thread (instead some just like to leave cryptic messsages), but it is tough for newbs like me to digest all that. perhaps in my case, ignorance is bliss....
otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:13 AM   #11
mick66
Dirty Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis
so i read in this thread...
...that you can enter in some codes using hyper terminal.

It's not that you can, it's that you have to in order to configure it correctly so that Tivo can use it. One of the few exceptions to this is if you have a USR Sportster modem with 8 dip switches. Then you can just adjust the switches to achieve the same thing.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #12
TheLievense

US Robotics

I did have a US Robotics 56.6K modem and I set the dip switches appropriately but it continued to give the bonging sound, even when I manually set the speed via HyperTerminal.

I finally gave up and ordered another 33.6K US Robotics from eBay and it worked perfectly, so I'm thinking there just may be something with the 56.6K versions.

Hopefully this will keep my Tivo going strong until I can save up for the Series 3.
TheLievense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #13
mick66
Dirty Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLievense
I did have a US Robotics 56.6K modem and I set the dip switches appropriately but it continued to give the bonging sound, even when I manually set the speed via HyperTerminal.

I finally gave up and ordered another 33.6K US Robotics from eBay and it worked perfectly, so I'm thinking there just may be something with the 56.6K versions.

Hopefully this will keep my Tivo going strong until I can save up for the Series 3.
You probably just had a faulty 56k modem. I've bought/sold many 56k USR modems for Tivo use and they all worked just fine.