TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
TivoIT

Exclamation Defrag TiVo?

Hi everyone:

Well, this is my first attempt at starting a thread, so bare with me!

Anyway, my question is…how many of you have seen the following article (Defrag Insures a Blockbuster Digital Media Experience) and what are your thoughts on it?

I ask because I read it recently and although it is in press release format, it really got me thinking. I mean, with the kids and all, our TiVo is a very important family tool. Because of the amount of shows we have saved on the thing, we worry constantly about our TiVo getting fried and our kids…going nuts!

I’ve already read many articles on backing up the TiVo and such, but this is the first article I’ve seen that has gotten this detailed regarding fragmentation.

We already have Diskeeper Defrag running on our Windows Media Center PC, but are unsure about the TiVo itself.

Can my TiVo become fragmented? And if so, how would I go about DEfragging it?
TivoIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
alansplace
------ Alan ------

Cool no need

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoIT

Can my TiVo become fragmented? And if so, how would I go about DEfragging it?
no, the filesystems used by linux (the os used by tivo) do not need periodic defragging as do the filesystems used by windows. see this and especially read the short section titled 'defragmentation issues'.
--
Alan
Toshiba RD-XS32S (DVR/DVD burner)

Last edited by alansplace : 09-18-2006 at 02:44 PM. Reason: add wikipedia link
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
theangelwing

So based on th elinux system it runs (as do Macs) no defragging is neccesary?
theangelwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
alansplace
------ Alan ------

Cool no defragging is neccesary

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangelwing
correct, 'no defragging is neccesary'.
--
Alan
Toshiba RD-XS32S (DVR/DVD burner)
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
ccooperev
TIVOSMITTEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by theangelwing
Mac's run UNIX (which is related to Linux) and does not require defragging.
ccooperev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
classicsat
Astute User

TiVo does not use anything Linux or Apple related to store recordings, but Media File System. Linux and Apple matter to the low level (Apple for the partitioning system,Linux/ext2 for the O/S partitions. None of those get fragmented in day to day use, or require user maintenance.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
disker72

My MFS partition is being listed by e2fsck as being >30% non contiguous (or fragmented) and I have been noticing digital pausing even in live video feed, where as my standalone DTV sat receiver (non-DVR) playing side by side doesn't exhibit this behaviour.

It is very apearent that I do need to defrag /dev/hda9 to correct this. What is the best way to acomplish this?

Thanks in advance!
disker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by disker72
My MFS partition is being listed by e2fsck as being >30% non contiguous (or fragmented) and I have been noticing digital pausing even in live video feed, where as my standalone DTV sat receiver (non-DVR) playing side by side doesn't exhibit this behaviour.

It is very apearent that I do need to defrag /dev/hda9 to correct this. What is the best way to acomplish this?

Thanks in advance!
/dev/hda9 is an ext2 file system for /var, and not part of the Media File System. In generally, you can wipe /dev/hda9 out completely (e.g. dd /dev/zero over it.) and it will be recreated from scratch when the tivo boots. Seems highly doubtful that fragmentation in /var has anything to do with your performance issues, though they may be disk related.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
BobCamp1

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Actually, it is very apparant that your hard drive is dying. You may want to head over to the upgrade forum and backup your image. Then replace the hard drive yourself when it finally dies.

I ran my hard drive for over 4 years. The drive was "fragmented" and yet I did not experience even a hiccup until the days just before my hard drive died.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
disker72

down the rabbit hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCamp1
Actually, it is very apparant that your hard drive is dying. You may want to head over to the upgrade forum and backup your image. Then replace the hard drive yourself when it finally dies.

I ran my hard drive for over 4 years. The drive was "fragmented" and yet I did not experience even a hiccup until the days just before my hard drive died.
I'm hoping that isn't the case, but it may be... When booting, I see the following in BASH shell:

/dev/hda9 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
Inode 2063, i_blocks wrong 448 (counted=434). Set i_blocks to counted? yes
/dev/hda9 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Duplicate or bad blocks in use!

/dev/hda9: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
Can't clean /dev/hda9 - rebuilding

Should I just clear this partition out? and if so, how would be the best way to do so without loosing any of my program data?

MANY THANKS!
disker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #11
JamieP

Quote:
I'm hoping that isn't the case, but it may be... When booting, I see the following in BASH shell:

/dev/hda9 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
Inode 2063, i_blocks wrong 448 (counted=434). Set i_blocks to counted? yes
/dev/hda9 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Duplicate or bad blocks in use!

I'd suggest checking the S.M.A.R.T. registers with smartctl. TiVo provides a really old version, but you can probably find a more recent version by googling "smartctl" and "mips" together.

/dev/hda9: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
Can't clean /dev/hda9 - rebuilding

Should I just clear this partition out? and if so, how would be the best way to do so without loosing any of my program data?

MANY THANKS!
Check the bootlog carefull. If e2fsck failes on /var, the startup scripts should automatically rebuild it from scratch with mke2fs (as the "- rebuilding" message indicates.)

It's normal for /dev/hda9 to have e2fsck errors at startup, since it is never cleanly unmounted. It doesn't matter, since nothing is there that can't be easily replaced in a auto-rebuild.

I'd check the S.M.A.R.T. registers on the drive to see if the drive has recorded any errors.

Last edited by JamieP : 01-10-2007 at 08:42 PM.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote