TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: How di your CableCARD install go?
They installed perfectly and have been working perfectly ever since 291 36.56%
They took a little work to get going but they're working fine now 242 30.40%
They've been installed but they're still not working right 167 20.98%
The cable company refuses to install CableCARDs into a TiVo 19 2.39%
Don't have a S3, just want to see results 77 9.67%
Voters: 796. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #151
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
Poll results so far: 220 happy, 67 unhappy. So about 30% of the people are having problems in this poll.
Yes, but I wonder if you broke it down by who just has basic+digital service and how has basic+digital+HD and/or Preimums how it would look. I wonder if that first part is easy and people who just want that are fine but it's the authorization for those later tiers that is causing the grief.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:19 PM   #152
Bklyn
Montclair NJ

Angry Not So Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Fingers crossed...
Still no love. Today three separate trucks were at my house trying to get the CableCARDs working. A supervisor who came out had apparently spent most of the morning fighting the same battle with no success.

I think they have a batch of bum cards. I should know more next week.

I WANT MY TIVO IN HD!
Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:25 PM   #153
Bklyn
Montclair NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
I wonder if that first part is easy and people who just want that are fine but it's the authorization for those later tiers that is causing the grief.
In my case (and in reading this thread that of many others as well) the problem is often just getting CableCARDs installed and activated in the first place. I have little doubt that I'll need to fight the HD/Premium battle later on, though.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #154
MichaelK

patriot media

I am served by a small provider (31 towns) called patriot media.

guy came out today and was a little confused as to why the cards were going into the box in the cabinet as opossed to inside the tv.

Funny- I guess they are instructed to turn the tv off and install the cards- becasue he insisted on turning off the tv. I had to hold in the chuckle.

They wont up having to do whatever they do 3 times from the headend.

I think in tivo's attempt to be brief on the installation sheet (in the hopes that the guy will actually read it) that they didn't provide enough info. The guy didn't really bother to read the sheet anyway- so if it had more information at least I would have read it. Basically he put the first card in- copied all the numbers then the 2nd card and copied all the numbers then called the headend to enable them. THe directions say do one then the other so I think that's the problem he had but not sure.

Basically once he called in they sent some signal and the gettting channel info screen came up for a good 5 minutes. He figured all was well and started to pack up. Once the live tv came back up i tried the channels out and nothing but my locals were enable on the digital tier. SO then he had to call back and have them send whatever signal to turn everything one. After that card 1 was good but I tried the channel test for card 2 and it went to the first cc screen with all the numbers so I think it was never authorized or paired or whatever the first time since he had them do both at once.

some more specifics so the installer (or at least the user) can know what to expect might be better for tivo to include besides just the cliffnotes one pager.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #155
gregkeene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
I am served by a small provider (31 towns) called patriot media....

some more specifics so the installer (or at least the user) can know what to expect might be better for tivo to include besides just the cliffnotes one pager.
This might help:
http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42/#ccconfig

However, every provider has different challenges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gregkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #156
gregkeene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Still no love. Today three separate trucks were at my house trying to get the CableCARDs working. A supervisor who came out had apparently spent most of the morning fighting the same battle with no success.

I think they have a batch of bum cards. I should know more next week.

I WANT MY TIVO IN HD!
Do you know the brand of card they are trying to install? One thing is to make sure they use the same brand of card in both slots. Shouldn't matter, but it might.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gregkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #157
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkeene
This might help:
http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42/#ccconfig

However, every provider has different challenges.

great link.

I think Tivo should put something like that (but with more info) as maybe a second box insert or an appendix to the manual so people can get the info if they care.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #158
BriGuy20

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
Did you find the eject buttons?
I'm assuming those black things on the right of the cable cards are the eject buttons, but pushing and/or pulling them doesn't loosen the cards very much (plus it only works on the top cable card).
BriGuy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:07 PM   #159
edbern

Comcast Northern Calif experience

1. took two separate visits and another call to support to get it to work, with a lot of coaching from me.

2. installers had never seen or heard of Tivo HD before.

3. they were very friendly and cooperative, asking me for advice (most of it gleaned here!) and calling their dispatcher with comments like "Customer is online and tells me that we should hit the unit again from the headend and then close the ticket." They were clearly impressed and remarkably were willing to listen to me.

4. first installer showed up with two cards. at first neither worked. then we swapped them and the Slot 1 card did work. The Slot 2 card allowed reception of analog and non-premium HD channels, but none others. I suspected a bad card but he only had brought two. He set up an escalated visit for the next day

5. the next day, the second installer knew more about cable cards but still nothing about Tivo. He brought four cards, fortunately. He had the same results as the first guy -- slot 1 card worked, but that's it. he finally left but went along with my idea to leave the extra two cards with me to swap out if the existing Slot 2 card never activated.

6. I swapped out the Slot 2 card for one of the extra cards he'd left, called Comcast and very confidently said "please hit the following serial number cable card and confirm for me that the signal has gone through." She did.

7. 30 seconds later -- and ever since -- everything works perfectly

8. by the way, both installers expected the various Card configuration and status screens to give them info other than what they saw. they never did change but both cards as mentioned now work perfectly

9. BOTTOM LINE (at least with Comcast Norcal): make sure they bring extra cards. The more the better but at least four. Looks like it is purely a matter of trial and error with a high failure rate.

Incidentally, the cards were Moto, all apparently the same but with two diff software versions -- one was 4.01 i believe and the other 4.21, something like that. Interesting, the cards that worked were one of each.

/s

Baffled but happy
edbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #160
edbern

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy20
I'm assuming those black things on the right of the cable cards are the eject buttons, but pushing and/or pulling them doesn't loosen the cards very much (plus it only works on the top cable card).
works just like the button on a laptop's PC Card. press it in, it pops out, press it again, it ejects the card. should work fine on both the top and bottom slots.
edbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #161
Bklyn
Montclair NJ

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkeene
Do you know the brand of card they are trying to install? One thing is to make sure they use the same brand of card in both slots. Shouldn't matter, but it might.
I don't know actually. It was my wife at home, not me, so my information on what problems they were having has been filtered a great deal by her. I'm going to setup another appointment ASAP and I'll make sure to be home for that one. I can't believe its actually this difficult to get this device up and running.

The curse of the early adopter.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:53 PM   #162
Cloud

My installers showed up.... I handed them the directions. Install on our end took less then 5 min. The head office took 30 more min to figure out how to activate them. Both cards up and working in under 40 min after they made a few phone calls. All channels working fine..... The boys from the truck had never seen a CC TiVo before. It took a while for the lady in the head office to hand the phone to a guy that had done a TiVo before that knew what he was doing.

Oh It was Adelphia but Comcast guys showed up to do the install since they bought Adelphia out.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 PM   #163
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie
He waited around while TiVo downloaded
the new channel guide data... just to make sure I had the channels.

For anyone curious, this isn't necessary and is a waste of time for the installer. If you go into the Test Channels menu off CableCard, you can tune any of the channels regardless of the Tivo guide.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:06 AM   #164
goodknight

Cablecard Slot 1 OK, slot 2 intermittent

Cable company is Midcontinent. They took my order for two cablecards and assumed I was installing two TVs. I told them it was a Tivo. No comment in return. Cable tech showed up right on time (in the two hour window). Install went well for the first card. Installed and authorized in about 5 minutes. Second card took a little longer. It didn't want to authorize. Eventually it did authorize and the cable tech took off.

The first symptom I had of a problem was going live TV to switch between cards and found one card was not working. Went to the test channels menu and found that the second card was not receiving all channels. Called Midcontinent and they had a tech out the next day with a new cable card. Tried to install the new second card and it would not authorize. So far they tried two cards in the second card slot with intermittent success. I asked to take the card out of slot 1, which was working, and put it in the second slot and put the new cablecard in the first slot. First slot authorized with no problem. Second card would not authorize. We knew that the cablecard in the second slot had worked in the first slot. So both cards worked in slot one. Not so much in slot two. Called Tivo and (surprise got a support person in record time - about 10 minutes if I recall correctly) explained the problem. The support guy put me on hold while he talked with the company engineers. Came back and said they wanted to replace the box.

We went through the "replace the box" process. New box is on the way (I have a UPS tracking number - box actually has not moved in the last four days - maybe they are building it).

Took out the cablecard in the second slot and went through the guided setup so the Tivo would not try to record from slot two.
goodknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #165
jfh3

Seems like there are a lot of boxes being replaced for slot 2 problems. Be interesting to learn how many of the boxes are actually defective as opposed to cable company problems.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #166
waynemk

my problem was installer showed up with only 1 card. specifically called to confirm 2 after seeing other people have the same issue.
waynemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #167
hookbill
Feathered Member

First question I ask the guy when he shows up on Wednesday, or if he shows up is did you bring two cards? Then he gets in the front door. I'm going to ask if he's done a S3? When he says no I will hand him the paper and politely insist that he reads before any installation starts. I will make sure he does it the way the instructions say.

If that doesn't work, then we'll take it from there. But if he doesn't go along with the plan, he gets shown the door and I'll get someone else out here.

I am the customer.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:27 PM   #168
jjconte

Comcast showed up with two cards but one did not work. Rcv'd error 161-52? He had never seen an S3 and the person at "Dispatch" had no clue either. I do have one card working after 2 hrs with him. He was very patient and wanted to get it to work. He will be back out tomorrow with 2 more cards. Hopefully I will be full speed for weekend football.
jjconte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:19 AM   #169
MichaelK

i dont KNOW but i think the 161 errros means the card is currently being activated or updated or whatever and once it's done you should be fine.

Mine got a 161 error while they were "hitting" it and after it went away all was well.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #170
shady
We have chickens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
i dont KNOW but i think the 161 errros means the card is currently being activated or updated or whatever and once it's done you should be fine.

Mine got a 161 error while they were "hitting" it and after it went away all was well.
There are different 161 errors. the 161-4 is the "good" one
Old 09-29-2006, 11:50 AM   #171
jjconte

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjconte
Comcast showed up with two cards but one did not work. Rcv'd error 161-52? He had never seen an S3 and the person at "Dispatch" had no clue either. I do have one card working after 2 hrs with him. He was very patient and wanted to get it to work. He will be back out tomorrow with 2 more cards. Hopefully I will be full speed for weekend football.

Comcast guy showed back up this morning. Had two new cards as promised. He contacted one person at dispatch that blew him off. Contacted another that had a 1-800 # for tivo to help walk her through it. She had both cards up and running in about 15 min. I am very happy with my experience overall with Comcast.
jjconte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #172
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady
There are different 161 errors. the 161-4 is the "good" one
161-4 is only good when your cable company is initializing a Motorola card. At all times, it's just as bad as the other 161-XX codes.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:38 PM   #173
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo
161-4 is only good when your cable company is initializing a Motorola card. At all times, it's just as bad as the other 161-XX codes.

ahhh- that's the errror i got on my moto card and it all worked out- so that's good to know...
Old 09-29-2006, 03:19 PM   #174
davidtieman

I am on Cox cable here, it took a few cards by the instaler, this was his first tivo. Took about 2 hours for him to get them working. He left and about 6 hours later my tivo started doing a cable card firmware update. 19 hours it was saying the same thing. I called the cable company and they told me to reboot the tivo. But it is still doing the same thing. I am waiting for the cable guy to come back now.
davidtieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:51 PM   #175
eeg0323

I am on a company called Entouch that serves master planned communities in Houston Texas. They told me that they could not touch my TIVO and I would have to do the install myself. The guy handed me the cards at the door and said "good luck". I followed the instuctions that came with the s3 and within 30 minutes had both card up and working fine. The lady at the cable company that I had to call to activate the cards was exicited to have something new to learn but it seem to be no big deal. Guess I was a lucky one.
eeg0323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:16 AM   #176
futcher

The guy only brought one of the two I requested. Apparently they only had two in the office, and they needed one for a trouble call that day. Turned out that wasn't their problem so they kicked me the second card by the end of the day. Had to wait until the next day to get the second card provisioned, but now everything's good to go.

New problem now...didn't know Tivo's guide wasn't right for the HD stations locally...working on getting that fixed...
futcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:29 AM   #177
russkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
For anyone curious, this isn't necessary and is a waste of time for the installer. If you go into the Test Channels menu off CableCard, you can tune any of the channels regardless of the Tivo guide.
My milage DEFINITELY varied in this regard. No matter what we did, the "Test Channels" option showed "No Channels Available". We were only able to get it to work after doing the guided setup. Test Channels STILL said that now channels were available.

Two other observations:

1.) We had to restart the TiVo for provisioning to properly complete.
2.) We had to do one card at a time. When we tried slapping both in the S3, the CC had trouble provisioning the cards at all.
russkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:51 AM   #178
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by russkle
2.) We had to do one card at a time. When we tried slapping both in the S3, the CC had trouble provisioning the cards at all.

I think that's one key for sure and you have to get a patient installer so he'll wait out the 'acquiring channels' swirly screen which might take 5 or 6 minutes.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #179
NetJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
First question I ask the guy when he shows up on Wednesday, or if he shows up is did you bring two cards? Then he gets in the front door. I'm going to ask if he's done a S3? When he says no I will hand him the paper and politely insist that he reads before any installation starts. I will make sure he does it the way the instructions say.
The only problem there is my S3 didn't follow the instructions. The instructions say to insert the cards and wait a moment or two for the MMI screen. After 4 or 5 minutes still no MMI screen. I had to select the CC and go to the setup screen to find the MMI info. Both cards did that and both work fine. Not sure why ours didn't come up themselves but all is good. Be a little flexible.
NetJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #180
ingenue007
UNLUCKY W/TW AUSTIN

Mine is a nightmare. I think they are on the 6th or 8th card and I still can't get all my channels.
ingenue007 is offline   Reply With Quote