TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: How di your CableCARD install go?
They installed perfectly and have been working perfectly ever since 291 36.56%
They took a little work to get going but they're working fine now 242 30.40%
They've been installed but they're still not working right 167 20.98%
The cable company refuses to install CableCARDs into a TiVo 19 2.39%
Don't have a S3, just want to see results 77 9.67%
Voters: 796. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2006, 01:23 PM   #121
Darthnice
umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
I wouldn't do that! You never know what tuner will be comissioned for a recording, so it's possible that you could end up with missed recordings if you just let it be.

Dan
*meh* The channel is Disney and I have 3 other SD TiVos that can record it if I must have it. Admittedly, this is exactly the thought Time Warner wants me to have. In order for them to fix it they will demand on sending a tech out who does nothing but sit on hold with the exact same customer service line I do for hours and then finally tell me it isn't supposed to work because Disney is SDV and it is TiVo's fault for attempting to record the Digital stream instead of the Analog stream.

Not worth possibly breaking everything else just for Disney.
Darthnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #122
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
What bugs me about the CableCard technology and Cable Co. policies installing it, is that if your S3 ever has a HDD failure or other defect and needs the a whole replacement, the cable guy has to come out again for another CableCard install and you will probably incur another charge and aggravation.
If my HDD failed, I swap in the backup and get a new real drive, probably under the drive warranty. The swap in the replacement. Either way the cable cards stay in the box and don't worry about the drive. That was what happened when I swapped in the new drive.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #123
Gregor

My Comcast install today worked!

The Comcast tech spent about 45 minutes to an hr checking connections outside, and swapped out all the splitters and ends inside. He said most the problems he'd seen were caused by bad connections. He put in the first card, and the mmi screen came up, called it in and got all the channels right away. Repeated with second card and it worked as well.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #124
ThePlungerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
My Comcast install today worked!

The Comcast tech spent about 45 minutes to an hr checking connections outside, and swapped out all the splitters and ends inside. He said most the problems he'd seen were caused by bad connections. He put in the first card, and the mmi screen came up, called it in and got all the channels right away. Repeated with second card and it worked as well.
Well whoopydo for you.

Just kidding, Iím jealous.
ThePlungerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:20 AM   #125
jkj

Big Grin

To keep this message very short...

I had never even heard of CableCARD's before Tivo S3... (I had been watching Digital Cable from a composite output box). Even the NON-HD channels are 50% clearer on my old style TV... I AM SHOCKED! Well worth all the trouble to get them installed.

It took several days... many phone calls... two visits. Finally I found a goofy hippie installer with a wide eyed assistant who relied on a tech friend "behind his computer". The cards needed "adjustments" to make them work. After reading the horror stories here... I tipped both of them $50 out of relief. I get the impression that given a little time... they will have rules to go by.

Apparently at least I have made two very happy "friends" who promise to rush back to fix any problems in the future.

Last edited by jkj : 09-26-2006 at 05:31 AM.
jkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:17 AM   #126
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkj
To keep this message very short...

I had never even heard of CableCARD's before Tivo S3... (I had been watching Digital Cable from a composite output box). Even the NON-HD channels are 50% clearer on my old style TV... I AM SHOCKED! Well worth all the trouble to get them installed.

It took several days... many phone calls... two visits. Finally I found a goofy hippie installer with a wide eyed assistant who relied on a tech friend "behind his computer". The cards needed "adjustments" to make them work. After reading the horror stories here... I tipped both of them $50 out of relief. I get the impression that given a little time... they will have rules to go by.

Apparently at least I have made two very happy "friends" who promise to rush back to fix any problems in the future.
50 bucks? Did you get charged an install charge too?

I'm not tipping anything for something as simple as installing cards. I don't think I should be charged for installation, I'd do it myself if TW let me pick up the cards.

If you have more money you'd like to throw away kindly contribute to the "Help Hookbill Pay For His S3" fund.
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:25 AM   #127
optivity

Does anyone have a TiVo Series 3 w/CableCARD(s) installed & is a subscriber of Albany Time Warner Cable?
optivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:03 AM   #128
jkj

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
50 bucks? Did you get charged an install charge too?

I'm not tipping anything for something as simple as installing cards. I don't think I should be charged for installation, I'd do it myself if TW let me pick up the cards.

If you have more money you'd like to throw away kindly contribute to the "Help Hookbill Pay For His S3" fund.
I didn't want to talk to much but I DID do everything I could do to install the cards myself. I called to acitivate them about 10 times. Once... over night... Card#1 had spontaniuosly decided to work... until the moron installer removed it the next day.

Some things I didn't get into was the installers being at my house for about 4 hours doing EVERYTHING that they could think of instead of giving up. They really cared. At any time with any excuse they could have made another appointment a week later.

Oh... the first installer tried to sell me on the Comcast DVR... so I countered with a "Jehovah's Witness" invitationg and he smilled and got my point.
jkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #129
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkj
I didn't want to talk to much but I DID do everything I could do to install the cards myself. I called to acitivate them about 10 times. Once... over night... Card#1 had spontaniuosly decided to work... until the moron installer removed it the next day.

Some things I didn't get into was the installers being at my house for about 4 hours doing EVERYTHING that they could think of instead of giving up. They really cared. At any time with any excuse they could have made another appointment a week later.

Oh... the first installer tried to sell me on the Comcast DVR... so I countered with a "Jehovah's Witness" invitationg and he smilled and got my point.
Yeah, I think if I went through all that I'd get a little crazy happy too. Point taken. And remember, I've yet to go through the cable card install. My date is Oct. 4.

I sure hope it doesn't take 4 hours!
Old 09-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #130
alexrose

Thumbs down

Here's my experience in Santa Clara, CA

I couldn't be present for my install, so the wife had the honors. According to her, the guy showed up, popped in both cards, called the office and then left. He didn't even bother to test it!

Well, obviously things didn't just work, and all day long Tivo was stuck at the Acquiring Channel Information screen. In the conditional access screen it also says Auth: Unknown, which doesn't seem good. So I tried calling Comcast and talking with the almost useless CSA's and all of them except one tried to send the activation signal and then gave up. One CSA had some experience with the S3 and tried for me for about 30 minutes, but still no luck in getting it to work.

I have another appointment tomorrow. Hopefully the tech can figure this out.

It's now obvious to me why Tivo charged $800 for this box. If it was a good deal, and lots of boxes sold at once, this cable card mess would be causing huge support nightmares for both Tivo and the Cable providers.

Sigh...
alexrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:40 AM   #131
mercurial
Retro-Av

I guess every rose has it's thorns....
Old 09-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #132
gregkeene

In general, the initial install was fine. Ran in to problems after an intentional complete restart.

We created a tips article. In the tips article, we talk about the Comcast experience in detail.
Here: http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42/

For details on cablecard config, jump
here: http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42/#ccconfig

We also recently reviewed the TiVo Series 3 with the weaKnees upgrade.
Here: http://techdigs.net/content/view/45/42/

Greg
gregkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #133
Bklyn
Montclair NJ

Comcast refuses install

Comcast installer came today and refused to install CableCARDs into my new S3. She contacted another installer who came over and provided the same refusal. They will only install CableCARDs into TVs they said.

This is Comcast of Verona (NJ)

I have the name of their supervisors and have left messages. I am hopeful I'll be able to get them to relent, perhaps under threat of lawsuit, but if not I have a $999 boat anchor.

Anyone have any tips on how I should approach this to get them to do what is (I believe) required by FCC mandate?

Last edited by Bklyn : 09-26-2006 at 02:27 PM. Reason: came => name
Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #134
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Comcast installer came today and refused to install CableCARDs into my new S3. She contacted another installer who came over and provided the same refusal. They will only install CableCARDs into TVs they said.

I have the came of their supervisors and have left messages. I am hopeful I'll be able to get them to relent, perhaps under threat of lawsuit, but if not I have a $999 boat anchor.

Anyone have any tips on how I should approach this to get them to do what is (I believe) required by FCC mandate?
Call TiVo and have them call Comcast.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #135
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
...I have the came of their supervisors and have left messages...

Umm...

What's a "came"?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #136
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof
Umm...

What's a "came"?
"Name" perhaps?
Old 09-26-2006, 02:26 PM   #137
Bklyn
Montclair NJ

Happy Ending?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Call TiVo and have them call Comcast.
Done. I called TiVo and spoke to a CSR named Bill. With his help, we eventually got the right person from Comcast on the line. Travis (the right person) from Comcast's Service dept. knew about the Series3 and is dispatching an installer to my house tomorrow to complete the installation.

Fingers crossed...
Old 09-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #138
Bklyn
Montclair NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof
What's a "came"?
A name, but spelled wrong^H^H^H^H^Hdifferently.

I AM THE TYPO KONG!
Old 09-26-2006, 02:36 PM   #139
Gerhard

Quote:

I have the name of their supervisors and have left messages. I am hopeful I'll be able to get them to relent, perhaps under threat of lawsuit, but if not I have a $999 boat anchor.

Yeah... it's illegal for them to refuse to support your TV.. Call the Tivo hot line and get conference call to ComCast... they'll set them straight.

Every seen the movie office space? These Tivos are in the Xerox II graveyard:

2 x Tivo (original)
2 x Tivo2
1 x Tivo3 750GB
1 x TiVo HD 1.2TB
Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #140
GuyInTulsa

Cox - Tulsa Install

I got my CableCard install yesterday from Cox in Tulsa, OK.

Everything went fine amid the ooh's and ahh's.

Whole process took less thank 30 minutes.
GuyInTulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #141
BananaPeels

Comcast - Burlingame CA

I had to wait 9 days for an appointment, but when the installer showed up, it took about 15 minutes and I was up and running. Funny the installer knew nothing about the Series 3. It was the first time he had heard about this product. So I spent a few minutes telling how great it was, and how happy I was to get rid of my Comcast Motorola HD DVR. He admitted that product still has "lots" of bugs.

However, when he called in my cable card id's to activate them and deactivate my Comcast DVR, they also deactivated my regular digital cable box in my other room. So I had to call them back to get that re-activated, typical crappy comcast screwup.
BananaPeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:30 PM   #142
shady
We have chickens!

Mine went fine (Comcast)
Installer was early. Finished in 30 minutes.
It was his first cablecard install, so he read the instructions
Old 09-26-2006, 07:04 PM   #143
CardiacKid32

Works with Comcast in Mount Pleasant SC

Got my comcast cablecards installed today. Everything is working except I'm not getting one of the newest HD channels that comcast added 2 weeks ago (ESPNHD2). The nice comcast installer had never install a cablecard before however she brought 4 brand new cards which was a good thing because 2 of them didn't work. Evidently they had just failed to get another tivo to work the day before so she decided to completely redo all my outside cable connectors, replaced my outside splitters and ran a new cable drop. I don't know if all that was neccessary but it did show that she really did want to make it work. One of the bad cards was not recognized by my tivo and the other card simply wouldn't decode although it was seen by comcast and did accept the data pushes for their head end. Over hearing the conversation between her and other techs indicated that they had routine installation problems with cablecards.

Overall I'm very pleased with comcast and most importantly .. Wow what a picture
Especially noticible improvements on SD normal digital channels compared with the SA3250 box It replaced.

I'm very happy
CardiacKid32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:24 PM   #144
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady
Mine went fine (Comcast)
Installer was early. Finished in 30 minutes.
It was his first cablecard install, so he read the instructions
Judging by some of the posts here, it seems like the cause of a lot of this is installers who think they don't need the instructions and just slap a card in... and puts it in the wrong slot...
Old 09-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #145
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Judging by some of the posts here, it seems like the cause of a lot of this is installers who think they don't need the instructions and just slap a card in... and puts it in the wrong slot...
Both installers did that for me. The first guy who didn't bother to read the instructions (and wasn't really interested in getting it to work), and the 2nd guy who read the instructions.

I wonder if the slots aren't marked clearly enough?

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:42 PM   #146
BriGuy20

My first card can only tune non-encrypted HD (basically, just the OTA networks). No cable HD (Discovery HD/TNT Stretch-o-vison HD/Universal HD), no premium HD (HBO HD), no basic cable, no non-hd networks, no digital cable.

Second card works fine.

The tech support person I called didn't seem all that intent on helping. She had that "I'm tired of dealing with idiots complaining about their service" tone in her voice, and she seemed more interested in offloading a cable tech to my house than actually trying to fix the cable cards.

I tried to pull the cards out and put them back in (pushing those little black things to the right of the cable cards), but I couldn't get the cable cards out to reseat them.

I wasn't there for the original install (conflict with work), so I'm guessing the first guy put the second card in before the first one.
BriGuy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:12 AM   #147
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy20
I tried to pull the cards out and put them back in (pushing those little black things to the right of the cable cards), but I couldn't get the cable cards out to reseat them.
If you wiggle them from side-to-side and from top-to-bottom, they will loosen up and then you can pull them out. It's kind of a learned art, as anyone trying to set up the S3 with Charter Cable in the Pasadena area knows.
Hi-Bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:19 AM   #148
woodie

The Comcast guy arrived around 8:15am (in an 8-12 window).
We were done by 9:30am. He waited around while TiVo downloaded
the new channel guide data... just to make sure I had the channels.
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:24 AM   #149
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy20
Did you find the eject buttons?
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:41 AM   #150
hookbill
Feathered Member

Poll results so far: 220 happy, 67 unhappy. So about 30% of the people are having problems in this poll.