TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: How di your CableCARD install go?
They installed perfectly and have been working perfectly ever since 291 36.56%
They took a little work to get going but they're working fine now 242 30.40%
They've been installed but they're still not working right 167 20.98%
The cable company refuses to install CableCARDs into a TiVo 19 2.39%
Don't have a S3, just want to see results 77 9.67%
Voters: 796. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #91
Deacon West

Smile

Had a great install today. Tech only brought one cable card but figured it out on his way to my home and went back and got the second one. He loved the instructions from TiVo and got a nice lady on the other end who asked if she could borrow the new TiVo. (yes, she was joking) Both cards initialized with no problems and my tech was out the door in under 45 minutes. I went through guided setup again and everything has been working great. Comcast Southwest Florida gets a great grade on this install. Absolutely love my new S3. Was quoted 19.95 for the truck roll but they only charged me 9.95 with no additonal charge for either of the two cards. I'll believe it when I see my first bill, but first impressions are very good, at least so far.
Deacon West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #92
aressa

[repost from the Comcast thread. I got the cards from the local Comcast office with no questions asked.]

Well, my CableCARD install was completely painless. I put in the cards before I even installed the box or ran Guided Setup. When I got to the part of Setup that asks about the cards it popped up the information about the cards. I spent 3 minutes on hold with 800-COMCAST and then the CSR had no questions for me, he just started firing over the init signals. I got 164.4 on the first card, and then a few seconds later I got 164.4 on the second card. I think the CSR had had a few TiVo installs, because he was completely unfazed by my comments ("Ok, I got the 'good' error, that's good!") I had him hold on the phone until the cards synched, which took about a minute or so, and he said "I'll hold on the line as long as you need me...", so he was in it for the long haul, if required. I kept him on the line until I had HD on both cards (which was just a few minutes), and then let him go.

Completely painless process, probably took 10 minutes total.

Now to re-enter all of the season passes from the evil 6412 and get that dang thing out of my house!
aressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:13 AM   #93
RentMusic

TS3, Comcast in SF Bay Area

Basic installation of CableCards worked fine. No problem getting unencrypted local digital and HD channels (KQEDDT1-5, 702, 703, 703, 704, 705, 707, 709).

However, I am unable to tune in the encrypted "Digital Classic" channels such as SCIFI, BBC America, PBS Sprout nor am I able to tune in Discovery HD or INHD.

The Tech came out and then tried using the cable cards in my Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX50U and still couldn't encrypted channels working with the cable cards in the TV either.

I suspect a back office configuration issue. The tech says it's better when it is Comcast equipment / DVRs but that is bogus. It took me several attempts and calls to Comcast to get the DVR to tune in the encrypted channels as well.

Has anyone else in Mountain View been able to get their TS3 with CableCards to tune in encrypted digital channels on Comcast?
RentMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:37 AM   #94
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RentMusic
Has anyone else in Mountain View been able to get their TS3 with CableCards to tune in encrypted digital channels on Comcast?
Yes, me.

I had a problem earlier today where I lost the encrypted channels on one card. That happened when I was talking to billing and she was getting confused as to what I had on the system. I was trying to get them to remove the "additional outlet" charge. I should have been worried when she asked if I could see channels on both cards. I couldn't, I was at work at the time.

A call to Comcast tech support got them turned on relatively quickly. You could try giving them a call and see what happens.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:14 AM   #95
williamlroy

I had the same thing happen with encrypted channels on card 2. Lost them randomly and them called into comcast and they resent the signal.

while I had them on the phone i asked about the charges for the card. I was told both were free but I was being charged a second outlet fee $6.95 for the 2nd one. She would not budge on that and talked to a supervisor as well. but then randomly she said that once I bring back my 3412 the charge will go away... dont know what thats about about.
williamlroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #96
easybob43
EasyBob

Smile Installer needed a small assist but went well

I'm up and running after cable card install. The main problem was that he had never done this type of installation and proceeded to put both cards in at once. This caused problems trying to get host id's and getting an authorization. So I told him to let me reboot the Tivo and then to just follow the Tivo instructions to install card one completely thru the activation. Not one problem. He followed with card 2 and the same thing, no problem.

Actually had more problems with the Comcast office, as they assumed that I was replacing my 2 settop boxes and proceeded to remove those authorizations.
I made the decision to keep the one next to the Tivo to receive On Demand.
So I had to call Comcast back to re-authorize my settop boxes.
easybob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 AM   #97
JoN8282

i called cablevision to set up this appointment last saturday, unfortunantly there was quite a wait, and this was the earliest appointment i could get that gelled with my work schedule. I am glad i waited, i got an excellent installer. The phone operator was familiar with the series 3 tivo, and asked me to confirm the model # for her. She did not even question the need for 2 cards for this device.

my cable card installer John from Cablevision (IO) just left. This was his second s3 tivo in as many days, he was extremely knowledgable about cable card technology, tivo, his companys policys, pricing, technical support, and was overall a great guy to talk to.

He immidiatly picked up the cable card installer instructions i left on the box, looked at it, and noted that he read and followed these exactly yesterday and could do it from memory. He then perfectly executed the installation. He did insert both cards before calling, but upon calling he requested that the first card be activated first, and clearly stated to the operator that this was very important.

It then took about 20 minutes for the entire thing to go through, while waiting, we discussed lots of things, including the fact that IO in my area is 100% digital on all channels including those under 100, and i will recieve the digital version via my cable cards no problem. He also noted that only the ethnic channels were using switched video, so i should have really no problem as far as that goes. He noticed this forum up on the computer, and asked how his company and the competition were doing, i let him know the basic jist of these posts, and he was pleased that so far there havent been any real issues noted with cablevision. I did mention the problem some people are having with having to "re-hit" the cards etc, he informed me that it is probably because the card installer did not wait to make sure "CP [copy protection] authorization was complete" - this took longer then anything else on my setup. All channels including prem. channels and hd were coming in clear for a solid 15 minutes before the CP auth was granted. He said if it didnt get granted, the cards would turn off next time they contacted home. I suspect this is the problem many people have been having.

once both cards recived this authorization, he took my sci atlanta dvr and the generous tip i provided, shook my hand and left.

EXCELLENT MARKS FOR CABLEVISION.

btw - as far as billing goes... $45 to install cards / $1.25 per month per card for card rental. I am in no mood to argue with that at this point. Cablevision office in Oakland, NJ.
JoN8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #98
RMBittner

My install was perfect (apart from my initially missing a digit when I wrote down the authorization numbers). My cable company -- Millennium Digital Media in Michigan -- just handed me the cards at the service desk and left the rest up to me.

My Series 3 has been working great. . . at least for the three days I've been using it! It's amazing to have dual tuners *and* HD. Also, I moved my lifetime subscription from a S2 to the S3 without any problems whatsoever.

Bob
RMBittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:49 PM   #99
sobenski

Just reporting on a pretty smooth install:

The cable guy arrived at 8:15 for an 8-12 window. This was his first Tivo CableCard install, but the whole thing took about 30 minutes and went pretty smoothly: we got the 164-1 (or whatever it is) error on the first card, but luckily I'd read about that on here and told him I had heard you could ignore it. Otherwise he was going to call it in and who knows what might have happened from there....

An important FYI -- For a good 3-4 minutes after inserting the (already-activated) cards, the channel test continued to say "no channels available." The cable guy was really perplexed by this and was about to call in when, at around the fourth minute, the station info started to appear and you could change channels but the screen was still black. Two minutes after that, the programming started to appear. Same timing on the second card. Moral of the story: be patient and suggest to your cable guy to wait a good five minutes on each card before assuming the install didn't work!

By the way, Comcast (San Francsico) gave me no trouble at all when I requested two cablecards. I was told the first card was included in the digital cable package price and the second card would be $6.95 a month or so. I think the installation was free due to some promotion... I was previously a Dish Network customer, so I actually got the sense Comcast was happy to be winning someone back from satellite! (And does anyone besides me think that cable's competition with satellite is the reason the Series 3 has no video inputs or IR blasters? i.e. Tivo wanted a "carrot" to entice Comcast to be nice about providing the CableCARDS, and not rely just on the "stick" that it's illegal under FCC regulations for Comcast to refuse to provide them? and since Tivo and Dish aren't exactly on good terms these days anyway, Tivo wasn't losing much by not making efforts to support them.)

Last edited by sobenski : 09-22-2006 at 01:51 PM. Reason: added info
sobenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:32 PM   #100
azTiVofan

Cox Phoenix install went well

Both Cablecards installed on 9/21 with minimal delay. The Digital Channels came in immediately after Cox authorized the cards. However, when I went back into the guided setup, the box first did a software update and then restarted. After it restarted, the digital channels were unavailable for a few minutes, but since then everything is fine. I forgot how great it was to be able to start a program that is still recording and not have to rewind to the beginning!!!!

As expected the installer was thrown when he found out it was for a TiVo. When he first arrived he said that he was not really supposed to install CableCards into a TiVo. But when he called Tech Support for the install, they corrected him. He then went on to rip on CableCards and say they were unreliable. Of course he uses the Cox HD-DVR box -- poor guy has no idea......
azTiVofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #101
JoeSchueller

I have to admit, I'm shocked to see this many installs going well. Around the holidays last year, my parents purchased a Samsung HLR, and TWC in Milwaukee was unable to get CC working. TWC blamed Samsung and Samsung blamed TWC, and my mom gave up in the frustration of it all.

CableCard certainly faces an uphill battle because of the reasons already outlined in this thread. Typically the rental fee is 50-75% less than any STB rental fee, they can't rent advertising space on the EPG, and they can't pimp PPV or VOD (via the EPG) to their customers. (do CableCo's really consider everyday people customers???)

I'm glad to see TiVo fans (and TiVo corporately) try to charge the hill on this one. This is the good fight.

BTW - I didn't see this mentioned earlier in the thread. Keep in mind that you can order just about any PPV service you want with CableCard - you just can't do it via your remote. You can call them, have it added to your account like a premium channel, and it should arrive. Don't let them tell you that you cant have it just because you can't order it via their STB.
JoeSchueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:17 PM   #102
SystemJinx
(o_0)

Comcast here in the Seattle area was very helpful. The CSR said it was her first Tivo install. Setup was easy, but I did have a problem with the second cable card. The first installed with no glitches. I put it in and read off the serial number to the CSR. She sent the code and the card activated. I sampled through the stations and they all worked.

So then I install the second card and read off the serial number. She sends the code, and I check the stations. The unit shows the channels I've selected and I thank her and hang up. Apon further playtesting with the second tuner, I notice channels 30-70 are non existant. Tuner 1 works perfectly. I call back Comcast and they resend the signal. The new CSR didn't stay on the line. She said they were busy tonight. I decide to check the cable card settings. Tuner 1 states it's SUBSCRIBED. Tuner 2 states OLD_CAT_SEQUENCE and technical problem.

I then ejected card two, rebooted the Tivo and reentered the guided setup. After the main screen it was one more call to Comcast and they resent the access command. I check tuner 2's cablecard status and again it states OLD_CAT_SEQUENCE and technical problem. So I figured it was a bad card. I left the Tivo alone for about 90 minutes to 2 hours because I was frustrated. When I came back and checked Tuner 2 it said SUBSCRIBED! So now all the channels are available and everything is working fine.

It took about 4 hours total to get the Tivo up and running. Tonight I need to transfer all my season passes.

Last edited by SystemJinx : 09-22-2006 at 04:23 PM.
SystemJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #103
JoBeth66
Temp

The 2 installed in the TiVo went without a hitch - the one in the TV isn't working. (And the installers said when they left 'We don't want to see you saying that online!' and I'm like 'Too late, already did!' )

Got the 161-4 error, and the one installer said 'that's the good error!' and we hit Select through it. Took a bit for the channel data to load up, re-ran guided set up & everything was there, including the premium channels.

It's very pretty.

Hubby set two things to record, one on each tuner, just to see the show titles pop up on the main screen.

Shiny. VERY shiny. (Watching Serenity now)
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #104
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeth66
The 2 installed in the TiVo went without a hitch - the one in the TV isn't working. (And the installers said when they left 'We don't want to see you saying that online!' and I'm like 'Too late, already did!' )

Got the 161-4 error, and the one installer said 'that's the good error!' and we hit Select through it. Took a bit for the channel data to load up, re-ran guided set up & everything was there, including the premium channels.

It's very pretty.

Hubby set two things to record, one on each tuner, just to see the show titles pop up on the main screen.

Shiny. VERY shiny. (Watching Serenity now)

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #105
JoBeth66
Temp

Gregor - I know your install is set for Monday, when I talked to the CableCARD Guru here in South Jersey, he told me that he was insisting on brandy-new cards for my TiVo, he wanted two that had never been initialized - the one for the TV was NOT brandy-new, and that's the one that doesn't work.

So something to keep in mind, ask for new cards if there are any problems - and that means never-been-installed new, not just 'different'.

Oh, yeah - and you're supposed to install the card in Slot 1 first, then in Slot 2. And Slot 1 is the one on the *bottom*, not the one on the top.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:26 PM   #106
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobeth66
Gregor - I know your install is set for Monday, when I talked to the CableCARD Guru here in South Jersey, he told me that he was insisting on brandy-new cards for my TiVo, he wanted two that had never been initialized - the one for the TV was NOT brandy-new, and that's the one that doesn't work.

So something to keep in mind, ask for new cards if there are any problems - and that means never-been-installed new, not just 'different'.

Oh, yeah - and you're supposed to install the card in Slot 1 first, then in Slot 2. And Slot 1 is the one on the *bottom*, not the one on the top.
I've already figured out the card that the original installer left is bad. I get the 161-1 error on both slots. He also did not bother to read the instructions, just put the card in slot 2, first.

I'll be stopping by the local office tomorrow to leave a message for the guy who's coming on Monday to bring new cards and to bring at least two of them.

Thanks for the info!

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #107
greenwichmds20

Still trying to get it straightened out

I got my brand new Tivo S3 and had the folks at Cablevision come today
to install the two cable cards. The gentleman who arrived (Carlos)
told me that this was his first Tivo and we read the details
instruction sheet that came with the unit. We installed the first
card, got the two different sets of numbers from the system and called
Cablevision. Once that card was recognized the machine started
downloading a firmward update that took about twenty minutes. Note: It
seems that you have to install cable card one, get that operational
before you start to install cabble card 2. If you get a tech who has
never installed a Tivo before inform them that they are going to be a
while... My tech, Carlos could not have been better, he was honest
with me about his knowledge level, willing to sit and read, and was a
great guy to talk to for the hour or so that he was there.
So here is the issue... Once you get the card to work, you are given
the option to "Test Channels" and you can manually check to see that
you have all the channells that you are supposed to have through each
of the teo cards. (Thisis really just a troubleshooting feature). So
cablecard 1 (CC1) does not get any of the premium channels, CC2 gets
some of the premium channels. I just did a clear and reboot and will
see where that takes me. I haven't called CV yet, as I don't think
they will be much help.

Anyone out there on the cutting edge experience this alread and have a
workaround????

Thanks...

Mike
greenwichmds20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #108
dougup67

GrandeCom in Austin worked Great

Cable guy came out to install 2 cards.

Was surprised it was going in a TiVo. Told the office, but no worries there.

Kept getting a message from TiVo about error code 161-4, but he said just ignore it until they're activated.

They activated fine. Then a slew of HD channels weren't showing up. Decided to restart the TiVo.

All channels are now working perfectly on both tuners. Took longer to get my Harmony Remote to update on the mac than to get TiVo set up!

One interesting point...When I didn't get the HD channels, I called GrandeCom Support. They said they were aware of the issue and were working with TiVo. They then said they couldn't help me. They would probably be coming out with new compatible cable cards soon and I would see it in my bill. Didn't like that answer, but the HD channels I was missing weren't that important to me. That's when I used my old pc support trick and just decided to reboot. Everything works great now.

DougUp
Austin, TX
dougup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #109
Hi-Bred
Altadena, CA

Exclamation Series 3 Install - Charter Cable

Well, the installation of my Tivo Series 3 was very simple - just followed the setup instructions and called to activate it (I transferred my lifetime service to the new Series 3). Yes, I was one of the lucky ones who got lifetime service while it was still available.

But then, the trouble began. Charter Communications is my cable provider and in my experience they have terrible customer service. First, I was given a 8-12 time window for someone to show up, and no one ever did (strike one). Then I called tech support and got routed to a call center in the Phillipines. The rep there had no way to get in touch with the technician because she said her communication link was down, and to call back later (strike two).

Finally, at 4:00pm the service technician had arrived. I had made so many phone calls (finally getting in touch with the local service dispatcher - but I'm still not sure how), that both the installer AND the technical supervirsor came to visit. They had the cards, but they had no idea that there were DVR's with cable card slots. They were completely dumbfounded by my S3. They had installed them in TV's before but never DVR's. So I explained to them how it worked, assuring them that, yes indeed, my DVR did accept two cards.

I walked them through the Tivo screens after the cards were inserted and they got the Host ID numbers give to Charter in order to activate them. After about a 20 minute phone call between them an Charter (on my phone), the cards were recognized and started to "work". But I can only get non-premium channels. I can get all normal "broadcast" channels, plus their HD versions, such as PBSHD, NBCHD, etc., but no Showtime, no Discovery HD and no Comedy Central! These channels are all part of my current subscription package, and work fine over my regular cable box supplied by Charter.

After a lot of back and forth on the phone, they determined that the Charter equipment was not working properly with the cable cards. They said they would be back tomorrow with new cards, and they would work to solve the problem until it was resolved

Without being an expert, I don't see how new cards would fix the problem, especially since they admitted that the problem was with the Charter system. But I'll play along until they get it fixed.

Well, now it's tomorrow and I just got a call from Charter saying that the technician had called in sick and would not be able to make it today, and they rescheduled it for tomorrow.

I'm trying not to be too upset about it, but Charter has one unhappy customer right now. Let's hope they don't reach strike three.

I'd be very interested to hear from other Charter subscribers who are trying to set up their S3. Send me a note or post and let me know how it goes.

Last edited by Hi-Bred : 09-23-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Hi-Bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #110
kersch

Thumbs up Cox Cable in Fairfax Installation Experience.

Hello,
I am new to the Tivo forums, but joined after reading the tips you folks have been providing. I bought my Series 3 on Tuesday, September 12, but did not receive it until last Thursday, the 21st.

Cox Cable came on Friday but the cards did not work. I was not able to get all the channels. He came back today, Saturday, with brand new CableCards and they were authenticated with no problem. We did them one-at-a-time as per the instructions at Tivo. We tested the channels on each card, and then downloaded the Guide. Digital and analog channels come in just fine.

I am amazed at the HD picture quality and Dolby Digital 5.1 sound from the Tivo box. Much better than the Scientific Atlanta DVR I had rented from Cox.

All in all I would say that Cox personnel here in Fairfax, VA were very courteous and want to support the new Series 3. They are going to get a lot of business soon.

Cheers,
kersch
kersch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #111
sTrey

Thumbs up another Comcast WA

Activated my cards yesterday. Comcast gave them to me last week for a self-install.
I activated one at a time though I'm reading it's not necessary. It only meant that I needed to read the serial # of the first card to the Comcast tech on the phone so they knew which to activate. For the 2nd card I didn't need to tell them anything since they had both cards listed and knew which was already activated.
I didn't mention Tivo, just said I had to activate a cablecard.
I ignored the 161-4 error I got for each card; thanks to these forums I saved some adrenaline there. On the 2nd card I did jump to Test Channels a bit too soon. Right after the card has been activated it apparently hasn't had time to handle the channel lineup. Waited a bit (minute or so) longer and all the channels came up, no problems at all so far.
sTrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:14 AM   #112
crazyxgerman

S3 install Comcast, San Francisco Bay Area.

I walked into the local office last week and asked for two cable cards. "Sorry, sir, you have to make an appointment for installation by a technician."

Made the appointment, tech showed up this morning. Very nice guy, but completely clueless about S3, and not much of an A/V buff either.

Inserted the first card, called it in to be hit, worked great. Second card produced error 161-6, could not get it to work - period. He called for some advice, eventually it was decided the card was bad and a colleague came to bring by a third card. This one worked.

Took a couple of hours and some trial and error, but he eventually left and everything was working.

I receive channels 702 - 709 and 719 - 725, as expected. Already set up season passes this afternoon and recorded the first few shows perfectly.

He didn't do anything I couldn't have done, it was mostly a waste of his time. Wish I could've done the install myself, but other than that the experience was good.
crazyxgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:08 AM   #113
mdscott

Comcast Pittsburgh for the present (two visits) is unable to get the encrypted channels (For us HBO and Showtime) to work -- all other channels are fine.

Michael
Old 09-24-2006, 08:30 AM   #114
j_edge

Time Warner, Austin

Installer had never done a CableCard install, tried handing him the sheet from the Tivo and he glanced at it but didn't read and proceeded to pop the first card in slot 2, then after the page came up and he wrote the info down popped the next card in slot 1. After calling in they had him pop both cards out and redo the install.

After getting the info from slot 1, the person on the phone said it would take 20 minutes for all the channels to download and to call back when they've finished. I asked him how we would know they finished and he said there wouldn't be an indication, but just to call back in 20.

The installer left to another job nearby and came back 45 minutes later, inserted the second card and called it's info in. For a while the 2nd card seemed to be ok, but Card 1 on the "CP Information" screen still shows "Auth Status: Waiting for CP Auth" so it appears something didn't work right. I called back about this, and while on the phone with them went to check the info on Card 2 and while it showed as "inserted" I could no longer get to the menu for it, but instead got the message "CableCARD 2 is not in normal operation". Card 2 did go through a firmware upgrade late Friday after I was off the phone w/ the help desk, so was hoping that would fix the issue but it never did and Card 2 still shows as not in operation.

The funny thing is, both tuners appear to be working and I'm getting most of the channels on both including all analog, free digital, local HD's. I don't have any premium channels, so the only ones I'm not getting are the rest of the HD's like Discovery HD, TNT HD, etc. I have an appt scheduled for Tuesday morning and they will probably re-install. Hopefully the installer will have done CC installs before but if not I've learned a lot more about these installs from the messages here so hopefully can walk him through it.

-jE

p.s. The installer was a nice enough guy, but he had never had experience with any of this equipment before. I understand the S3's are new but CableCard's have been around for awhile now and there's no excuse for TimeWarner not training these guys how they work and how to install them.
j_edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:42 PM   #115
CAT22

Adelphia Cable, S FL, recently bought out by Comcast but still operating as Adelphia

Part II, Part II first, in case you're having the same issues and don't want to read through the initial challenges:

Sat. morning - tech arrives, ready to install a CableCard in my TV. Told him they were for TiVo, and he immediately went into the "we don't support TiVo" mode. I showed him the instructions, but he said he couldn't touch TiVo. Suggested he call a supervisor, which he did, and a supervisor who had done S3 installs called back to walk him through it.

He couldn't get the cards to work. He upgraded some of the outside connections and double-checked the signal strength, but kept getting a 161-1 error for the cards. Supervisor said he would come over to try to get it working.

As soon as the supervisor arrived and saw the cards the first tech had tried to install, he said he had tried those cards before and knew they wouldn't work. One card he referred to as a "38" and one was a "firm upgrade" card. He got on the phone to another supervisor, and asked him to bring a "41" card over, which he did. Those new (41?) cards worked perfectly.

Don't know a "38" from a "41," but if you're having the same problem, hope this will help.

Part 1:
Called cable co. Wed. night to order 2 CableCards. Was told I could pick them up at the local cable office. Spent lunch hour doing that drill, to be told that they could not be picked up, and a service call would have to be scheduled ($25 for the call). Scheduled service for Fri. afternoon.

Was told at 4 PM Fri. that they were on the way to my house, so left work early to be there. Phone call at 6:20 p.m. that the tech did not have the cards and would not be keeping the appt. Talked to supervisor, got it rescheduled for first thing Sat. morning with a credit for the missed service call.

All's well now, and I'm lovin' it. Good luck, all!
CAT22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:02 AM   #116
hookbill
Feathered Member

My cablecard install is set for 10/9. I just read the entire thread.

I'm with Time Warner, no SDV former Adelphia.

When the cable guy comes over should I have my SA 8300 disconnected and the S3 hooked up so all he does is fool with the cards?
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #117
Darthnice
umop ap!sdn

I voted that it took a little work, and is working perfectly, however in reality, one channel doesn't work on one tuner, but works on the other. It was such a PITA that I decided to just leave it alone.
Darthnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #118
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthnice
I voted that it took a little work, and is working perfectly, however in reality, one channel doesn't work on one tuner, but works on the other. It was such a PITA that I decided to just leave it alone.
I wouldn't do that! You never know what tuner will be comissioned for a recording, so it's possible that you could end up with missed recordings if you just let it be.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #119
MickeS

This is not good news for TiVo, I hope they are really on the ball here and are contacting cable companies - and not just the corporate headquarters.

When 50% of respondents here, a group that is pretty dedicated to getting their TiVos working, can not get their Series 3's to function properly without a lot of effort, and in some case can't get it to work at all, that's gotta be a concern for them...
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #120
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
This is not good news for TiVo, I hope they are really on the ball here and are contacting cable companies - and not just the corporate headquarters.

When 50% of respondents here, a group that is pretty dedicated to getting their TiVos working, can not get their Series 3's to function properly without a lot of effort, and in some case can't get it to work at all, that's gotta be a concern for them...
What bugs me about the CableCard technology and Cable Co. policies installing it, is that if your S3 ever has a HDD failure or other defect and needs the a whole replacement, the cable guy has to come out again for another CableCard install and you will probably incur another charge and aggravation.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote