TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: How di your CableCARD install go?
They installed perfectly and have been working perfectly ever since 291 36.56%
They took a little work to get going but they're working fine now 242 30.40%
They've been installed but they're still not working right 167 20.98%
The cable company refuses to install CableCARDs into a TiVo 19 2.39%
Don't have a S3, just want to see results 77 9.67%
Voters: 796. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #61
Gregor

Quote:
I had a similar experience in the office (Sunnyvale) but had read in one of these forums that you should call 1-800-COMCAST and as soon as you talk to someone, ask to be transferred to "The Cable Card Department". It worked. I got someone who knew about cable cards. Didn't have the foggiest idea what a TiVo Series 3 was, and also didn't know that BOTH cards were supposed to be free, but the put me on hold, checked with a supervisor, and wrote it all up just like I wanted. I added Digital Classic ($9.95/mo) to my expanded-basic analog service, with two cable cards, and a one-time charge of $15.99 for a truck roll to do the "install".
Depends on which office your 1-800 number links to. I asked to be transferred to the cable card dept and was told there is no such department!

I think I've resolved the issue by scheduling an appointment through my local office after I went down and talked to their tech manager.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:08 PM   #62
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
I got my analog channels converted to digital, so I'm basically set.
Good to hear you got it working, I figured the box being hooked up would be the key.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #63
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenanSR
Good to hear you got it working, I figured the box being hooked up would be the key.
I think the box may not have anything to do with it. I think it was probably entering the box on my account that did it. I could have said I wanted the box, got it and then given it straight back and I'd be in the same position.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:18 PM   #64
keenanSR

Quote:
I think the box may not have anything to do with it. I think it was probably entering the box on my account that did it. I could have said I wanted the box, got it and then given it straight back and I'd be in the same position.
LOL..just walk out the door, wait 5 mins, and walk back in to turn it in.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #65
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
LOL..just walk out the door, wait 5 mins, and walk back in to turn it in.
I think I'd ring home and get confirmation that things had changed first.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:14 PM   #66
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203
I think over the next couple of months the S3 is going to push the CableCARD market forward. In the past CableCARDs were only used on high end TVs, and were kind of a after thought, so the number of people willing to push the cable companies to get them working was probably pretty low. However the CableCARDs are at the heart of the Series 3 and are required for full functionality of the device. Which means there are now thousands of people out there with incentive to push their cable companies until they figure out how to make CableCARDs work correctly. It's going to be good for the technology and ultimately end users who aren't so willing to live on the bleeding edge.

Dan
Yup. I can't wait to read the 3Q and 4Q industry reports to the FCC on CableCard support issues.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:43 PM   #67
g808

The tech came by today to install the cards. After activating most channels were working except someof the premium digital channels (ex. Encore, HBO, NFLNet, etc). The local HD channels were working though, including ESPNHD and ESPN2HD. They were working on my other regular cable box, so I thought something was wrong with the cards. The tech said to wait for an hour, then call Comcast if it still isn't working. Over an hour passed, so I called. The CSR sent a couple signals to the cards, but that did nothing. She then scheduled another appointment for a tech to come out. So close, but so far.
g808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:57 PM   #68
pac1999

TWC of San Diego came out today. I handed him the cable card sheet that came with the S3. First thing he did was call another technician who told him to turn off the TV and TIVO. He unplugged the Tivo and inserted both cable cards. After configuring the cards i was left with a screen that said that the cable card was receiving a firmware update that could take up to 40 minutes. The technician left 4 hours ago and I still have this screen stating that there is a firmware update going on and I can not watch live TV or record anything until it is complete.

Looking at the system status it states that card one is active and card two is updating firmware. Has anyone else run into this problem?
pac1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:01 AM   #69
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemketron
We follow the VERY sparse instructions that came in the box from TiVo, but (IMO) TiVo could have done SO much more to tell you what the heck to expect when you stick the card in. It says to insert the first card and then have the installer call (corporate) to activate it. There is NO information as to how to verify that it's been activated, and (at least on older systems like Sunnyvale's 550) it takes a while for any information to flow down to the card from the head end.
A couple of things here.
1) The instructions are written assuming that the cable installer understand's his own company's product, and only needs to be coached through the unique attributes of a host that takes two cards.

2) There's nothing in the CableCARD spec that allows the host to know if a card is activated.

3) Timing varies signficantly based on the CableCARD manufacturer and the cable company. For example, it depends on how busy your particular headend is at the moment you're card is being activated. The cable company needs to enter information into their billing system, and that needs to be conveyed to the headend (so, a delay while the message sits on a queue in the billing system). Then, once it's at the headend, there may be a queue before it can get onto the actual cable. Once it gets on the cable, the authorization is pretty immediate, but it may be another couple of minutes before the full channel list is broadcast, and delivered to the host. All of this is based on the cable company, and has nothing to do with the functionality of the host device. I would guess most CableCARD hosts (mostly TVs), don't even have any instructions for cable installers.

4) TiVo's support website goes into a bit more details.
http://customersupport.tivo.com/know.../tv010416.htm?

TiVo probably couldn't figure out every last thing that would be important to tell the installers until the product was actually released, and they got some real world experience. Plus, there's a careful balance between being complete, but not overwhelming the installers (Getting an installer to read a single page is probably tough enough - they're scared of doing CableCARD installs, so the longer the instructions, the more hesitation they'll have).

Quote:
Then I discovered the "Test Channels" option on the cable card menu (which should be first and foremost on the installation sheet, to verify that EACH card is getting ALL channels).
This is Step 7 in the instructions.

Quote:
The other cable card screens seem to be next to useless, at least without more information describing what they mean and what to look for when troubleshooting.
These screens are from the CableCARD, and vary between the CableCARD vendors (and even between firmware versions). Your Cable company should know what everything means on these screens.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #70
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac1999
TWC of San Diego came out today. I handed him the cable card sheet that came with the S3. First thing he did was call another technician who told him to turn off the TV and TIVO.
I bet he regretted that once he had to wait for the box to reboot. My installer did this when I got my first card installed into my Sony DHG. There's no reason for this - as cards can be hot plugged/removed with no ill effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac1999
After configuring the cards i was left with a screen that said that the cable card was receiving a firmware update that could take up to 40 minutes. The technician left 4 hours ago and I still have this screen stating that there is a firmware update going on and I can not watch live TV or record anything until it is complete.
Unfortunately, you're most likely going to need a new card. The Scientific Atlanta cards can get wedged if the firmware upgrade doesn't complete. Some previous customer probably yanked the card or power cycled the TV while it was doing a firmware upgrade.Then, they returned the card since it wasn't working, and lucky you, you get a wedged card.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:12 AM   #71
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo
3) Timing varies signficantly based on the CableCARD manufacturer and the cable company. For example, it depends on how busy your particular headend is at the moment you're card is being activated. The cable company needs to enter information into their billing system, and that needs to be conveyed to the headend (so, a delay while the message sits on a queue in the billing system). Then, once it's at the headend, there may be a queue before it can get onto the actual cable. Once it gets on the cable, the authorization is pretty immediate, but it may be another couple of minutes before the full channel list is broadcast, and delivered to the host. All of this is based on the cable company, and has nothing to do with the functionality of the host device. I would guess most CableCARD hosts (mostly TVs), don't even have any instructions for cable installers.
This is a GREAT point - I learned this when my installer knew enough to ask how the queue was on the head end and he described this process, saying that generally it was pretty instantaneous, but it could take a few minutes to complete and that too many CableCard installs had "problems" because the installers pulled the card before the authorizations were fully completed.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:26 AM   #72
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
The local office supplied the box, its tiny, about 4"x4"x1". They said there would be a charge for this, I pointed out their web site says its free for cable card users. That's a battle to be fought later, if I don't return the box.
Do you remember exactly where on the Comcast web site it say the DCT700 is free for cable card users?
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #73
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Do you remember exactly where on the Comcast web site it say the DCT700 is free for cable card users?
About the 6th question down. It has an asterisk next to "Digital Cable" service in the answer but doesn't define it anywhere on the page. To me, Limited Basic is digital cable as it contains the local stations in their digital formats.

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2540
What is a CableCARD™?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #74
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
About the 6th question down. It has an asterisk next to "Digital Cable" service in the answer but doesn't define it anywhere on the page. To me, Limited Basic is digital cable as it contains the local stations in their digital formats.

http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?ID=2540
What is a CableCARD™?
Thanks keenan, but I don't think it states that a box is free when used in addition to a cable card. They seem to be saying that one or the other is including with digital service, i.e., "You may choose to use a CableCARD instead of a Digital Cable set-top box". Contrary to what I thought btwyx was saying:
Quote:
The local office supplied the box, its tiny, about 4"x4"x1". They said there would be a charge for this, I pointed out their web site says its free for cable card users. That's a battle to be fought later, if I don't return the box.

TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 09-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #75
keenanSR

Ok, sorry, yes I've seen that one too but don't recall where it is. I'm interested in that as well.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #76
razor237

The install went ok , cable installer didnt want to do both cards seapratlt because he said it takes 20-30 to do one card & is better to have both host id's at the same time to do it in one shot ...... 1st two cards would work , then third time a charm fianly the tivo showed the host id & we were off and running. He called in to the control center and sat on hold and once he got it activated we tested the channels and all was good. after he hung up we tried the other two cards and still nothing so i asked him to call back and have them check to see if maybe the cards were somhow still setup for diffrent host id or somthing so as we were on hold .... all of a sudden the second one came up ...yay ...now both work good now .......so in short if a card doesnt work it is possable that it may need to be reset or somthing by the cable company while pluged in .... but now i have dual hd tivo and all is good ....(lets see if i have any problems only time will tell )

-Mike
razor237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #77
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker
Thanks keenan, but I don't think it states that a box is free when used in addition to a cable card.
It seems pretty clear to me, there are things a cable card wont do, so we'll give you a box for free:
Quote:
Q: I thought that by purchasing a digital-cable-ready TV set that I would receive the same services I currently get with my Digital Cable box. If I can’t get the same services with a CableCARD, why am I being charged the same price?
A: Your digital cable-ready TV can receive all of the Digital Cable services you currently enjoy which are included in your monthly subscription fee; however certain features will require a Digital Cable box. Comcast is happy to provide you with a Digital Cable box at no additional charge for your primary cable outlet.*
I'm not sure how else to read that.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #78
Mitch71

Smile Cox Phx CC install

Wife was there with Cox tech. Called me frantic, that when he put cards in, TiVO started asking for a home wireless network password. Told her that had nothing to do with the CC install, but it appraently came close to throwing the Cox rep over the edge.

Got her to remove the wireless network adapter, and rep was able to get through the install with no other issues. Apparently both HD tuners working now, total time < 1 hour.
Mitch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #79
jmatero

Cablevision of Westchester (White Plains here...)

Jim the installed is Great.... it's his second S3 today and he's psyched.... he wants one himself now! Interestingly enough, he claims the HD picture looks better on the S3 than on the 8300HD... how is that possible? I wonder what magic TiVo is using? I'll judge for myself.. he's on the phone now marrying the cards to the unit and soon I'll be in heaven again!!! YAY!!!
jmatero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #80
Troy J B
Lucky 200 Member

Took an hour... 1st off we were following the instructions to only do one at a time so he had to call and get the cards assigned to him properly to do 1 at a time instead of both at the same time. We waited a while on the acquiring channels, I went searching on the Comcast cablecard thread and he called someone who said they needed to the the init. Once that was received (161-4 error showed) the card started working. The 2nd card was done in under 10 minutes. Then waited 20 minutes for the guided setup to finish. Errr... the #1 cablecard is now showing MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY (last time I had checked it was "unknown").. from what I can see though, both tuners are able to see all the channels I should be getting.
Troy J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:29 PM   #81
alee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero
Interestingly enough, he claims the HD picture looks better on the S3 than on the 8300HD... how is that possible? I wonder what magic TiVo is using?
Whatever special sauce TiVo uses to get their THX certification and produce that great picture really works. I've been in the HD world for 5 or so years now, and the 1080i picture that's being shown on my plasma display is stunning, and better than any cablebox HD picture I've ever had (most recently an SA3250HD).

Granted taking a high ISO photo of your TV isn't the best representation, I took this photo of NBC's local news broadcast in HD because it was the best I've seen in a long time:

alee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #82
williamlroy

Up and running with 2 CCs. San Jose, CA Comcast

Original appointment with Comcast was for Monday but I called yesterday and asked if they had anything sooner. She said how about tomorrow morning and I jumped at it.

Guy showed up as usual in the last hour of the window. Of course he only brought one CC. There were 2 on the order but he figured it was a mistake. He had another job later in the day that called for one, so he used that one to make 2.

I showed him the TiVo and he didnt say much. First one he had seen. He told me to drive the installation. He hands me CC one (motorola) and I insert it. Immediately get the CC configuration screen. He calls into the office to send the signal. This is where the fun begins.

The lady at the office insists that they must close the order and send the signal for both at once. I say to the installer, no just send the signal for the first one. She tells him no. Now I am thinking "great here we go, typical unfriendly comcast". Well, turns out, the installer is on my side. He says "Look this is what the customer needs" Send the signal for the first one and we will call back for the 2nd.

Again she says this is not how it is done. The order calls for 2 cards and we must close the order to send the signal. I am getting pissed and so is the Installer. He says "I realize this is normally how we do this, but this is a new product and this is how it needs to be done." Finally she relents and says I will send the signal for the first.

I get the 161-4 error and clear it. Then I move on to #2. Insert and she must have already sent the signal for 2 because it immeditely is configured. (except for the usual 161-4).

I go through the guided setup and now I have all the channels (in digital) including the INHD and HBOHD. Plus my baseball package is up and running as well. So all in all it went pretty smooth. Luckily the installer was on my side.

This thing beats the pants off of the Moto 3412 I had. I am not ready to give it back just yet (wife will kill me if she misses any shows). Tunes quicker, no jitter when switching from SD to HD, and remote response is faster.

I even got the truck roll at no charge. When I went to the local office to try and pick up cards (Los Gatos). I told them that the CSR told me I could pick them up. She said that was not the case and she will schedule and appt with no charge (since I drove all the way down there). Now I just have to convince them to not charge me $6.95 for the 2nd card. First is free.
williamlroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #83
hiker
S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Quote:
It seems pretty clear to me, there are things a cable card wont do, so we'll give you a box for free:I'm not sure how else to read that.
OK, I see what you are saying and I agree, it should be a free box. Not sure if will be a HD or SD box. I just came from the local Comcast office and the lady said that if I had cablecard and a box, they would charge me for the box. So, I'll wait and see how I am billed and fight that battle later.

Also while at the Comcast office, I had ADS enabled without getting a DCT-700 or DCT-3412 (all-digital box). All I did was ask the lady named Susan and she looked up my account on the computer and set a code to enable ADS. Now my DCT-6200 is all digital and I'm all set for my cablecard install next week.
TiVo Series 3 Comcast
Old 09-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #84
russkle

When we tried to do the "Test Channel" option, it said "no channels found". However, they were working and I had all of my channels. Even after going back through the Guided Setup and rebooting once, the Test Channels option does not work. (It was before he auth'd the cards). Odd.
russkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #85
JanS

smoothish install - Comcast - San Jose, CA area

Hi All,

Mine all done. Comcast tech came on time. No real problems. Professional and easy going. But he was very shocked to see that it was a TiVo that took the cablecards and not my TV set. He started to go for the TV set when I pointed him to the TiVo. But he groc'd it.

So, he get's on his 2-way cell and calls "the other end" and I hear him communicating with the other end and he's relaying the serial numbers (I assume)... When he put the first card in it woke up the TiVo and showed the screen with the two cablecard slots. And then I'm assuming again that the next screen was the MMI screen? At any rate it was mainly a black screen with the header :screen is displayed on behalf of yor cable provider" and then things like manufacter (Moto), version, etc.

After both cards were installed and after he got off the radio call to dispatch, the blue screen with the whriling TiVo "spiral ball" thingee was stuck on the screen saying it was "acquiring channels"... well it sat there for a long time. The tech kept saying it takes awhile for the "signal to download... um..

Well he took off and I navigated through the various cablecard related screens to no avail. Even reboot'd the TiVo. No joy.

And then I just left it on the now new blue screen of death and did other stuff.

Then eventually it said DONE and said to use ChanUpDown to test channels. So, I did and sure enough it had my digi channel lineup, HDs included. Then I pointed it to the second cablecard and it did the same thing.

So, as it turns out the cable tech had to come back since he left a signal tester here, which I called in. And when he came back I showed him that all was well and he told me that that the lady on dispatch had been confused...

He said that he went through the whole thing with her again and then the cards were activated.

I was definiately the first job he had that dealt with a TiVo with cablecards...

So, hopefully the next customer will go smoother. I don't think it was the tech's fault, but the dispatch office instead.

Cheers.
--jans
JanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #86
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanS
He started to go for the TV set when I pointed him to the TiVo.
Mine did that as well.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:48 PM   #87
keenanSR

Quote:
Mine did that as well.
LOL...I didn't let him go near anything, I showed him where I was going to insert the cards and he was cool with that.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #88
nmbr6

I had an 8-10 appointment with Comcast/Time Warner Cable (Comcast is in the process of taking over the TWC). The technician called at 8 telling me he had stock problems of the Cable Card and he would need to reschedule. I cut him off and said I had taken the day off work. He said he could come back later if he could get one from the warehouse. I asked him when and he said he didnt know because he was "juggling" 12 customers. He said he would call me back.

At this point I thought I was getting a run around from the technician. He called me back and said he couldnt get an answer if the warehouse had them but he was going there right now but if he couldnt get any we had to reschedule. Oh great! He called me back and said good new I have the cable cards and would be coming over.

The technician walked in the door and handed me the card. Well looks like I'm paying to install them myself. I asked if he had seen the Tivo and he said no but his friend did one yesterday and it worked fine. I installed the card 1 in the Tivo myself.

The MMI screen never came up by itself but I was able to navigate and get the information.

He called the one card in and read some numbers over the phone. He hung up the phone so I could install the second card. I was getting all my channels excpet for the HD packages. He said he would worry about it after the second card.

I installed the second card and again the MMI screen never came up. I had to navigate manually. Again he called in and read the numbers over the phone.....Good thing I'm paying money for someone to read numbers over the phone.

He asked the person to hit the cards again because I wasnt getting the HD channels. The lady on the phone said that this happened the other day also until they closed out the service call. They closed out the service call and all my channels came in.

Install went pretty smooth. Didnt last very long. I think I am going to call and complain to get my install fee back because I installed the cards and all the guy did was sit on the corner of my chase lounge and call the numbers in.
nmbr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:41 PM   #89
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanS
Well he took off and I navigated through the various cablecard related screens to no avail. Even reboot'd the TiVo. No joy.
Rebooting at this point isn't the best course of action. As I've posted in other threads, it can take a while for the signal to go out on the wire (depending how busy your particular cable company is during your install).

The problem with rebooting, is the card may miss the signal from the headend before the card gets a chance to tune to the rightt place to listen for the message.

But, glad things worked out for you.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #90
gayste
Love TiVo!

Cable guy refused to install. Talked to 3 people at Comcast and one said the installer refused to come up (to the apartment) because a supervisor told him not too, one said TiVo is not compatible "TiVo will not "send" the MAK number of the card," and a supervisor said that they had not upgraded the "head end" (?) to to be compatible. Are they telling the truth? Could their "all digital" system not be compatible?
Series3 Lifetime (broken)
Pioneer 810H Series2 (retired)
Series2 (retired)
gayste is offline   Reply With Quote