TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
webin

Sanity Check - Fios STB with TivoHD

I'm sure this has been answered before (I seem to vaguely recall the thread), but can't find it with any searching...

I have Verizon FIOS, with a SD set top box, running into my old Series 2 (single tuner) and then to a SD television. I am looking to upgrade to TivoHD and a HDTV over the next couple months, with the TivoHD now (to take advantage of the lifetime service offer that ends 4/1).

I realize that TivoHD is primarily designed to work with CableCards and no set top box, but can I use it with a STB and no CC's until I can complete the upgrade process? I realize I wouldn't get the dual-tuner functionality or the HD functionality until I have CCs and an HDTV, but would this set up work (presumably like the Series2 I have now)?

I Have:
FIOS -> SD STB -> Series2 -> SD TV

I want:
FIOS -> SD STB -> TivoHD -> SD TV

Until I can upgrade completely to:
FIOS -> CCs -> TivoHD -> HDTV
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
ah30k

Quote:
can I use it with a STB and no CC's until I can complete the upgrade process?
No.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
pilotbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
I realize that TivoHD is primarily designed to work with CableCards and no set top box, but can I use it with a STB and no CC's until I can complete the upgrade process?
NO. There is no way for the TiVO HD to control the STB. So, while you could set the TiVO to take the output from the STB and pause while you are watching... nothing else would really work.

You can use the TiVO HD with CableCards on an SD set though. Just record the SD channels until you get your HDTV set.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There is no way for the TiVO HD to control the STB.
You can use the TiVO HD with CableCards on an SD set though.

Point taken, the STB control was likely the key component I was missing. I think getting the CCs soon may be the way I'll need to go... I was hoping to postpone dealing with installers as long as I could
Old 03-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
pilotbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
Point taken, the STB control was likely the key component I was missing. I think getting the CCs soon may be the way I'll need to go... I was hoping to postpone dealing with installers as long as I could
Other than the $29 service fee (or whatever it was at the time) my CC install from FiOS on my TiVO HD was no problem at all. He put in one card at a time... wrote down the info, went into his van... came back 20 minutes later to test and everything worked perfectly.

BOb
Old 03-13-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
bilbo

Cool

Quote:
NO. There is no way for the TiVO HD to control the STB. So, while you could set the TiVO to take the output from the STB and pause while you are watching... nothing else would really work.

You can use the TiVO HD with CableCards on an SD set though. Just record the SD channels until you get your HDTV set.

BOb
You can record the HD channels and watch them on a SDTV (my second S3 is hooked up to a SDTV). It just shows up on your 4:3 SDTV in letterboxed form.
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
pilotbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
You can record the HD channels and watch them on a SDTV (my second S3 is hooked up to a SDTV). It just shows up on your 4:3 SDTV in letterboxed form.
Cool... thanks... I didn't know that the TiVO would downres like that.

I guess I figured it won't work, cause when I tune the HD channels on my SD FiOS box on my SD TV I get nuttin!

BOb
Old 03-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
RossoNeri
Tech Geek

Quote:
Cool... thanks... I didn't know that the TiVO would downres like that.

I guess I figured it won't work, cause when I tune the HD channels on my SD FiOS box on my SD TV I get nuttin!

BOb
That's the STB doing that. You should get the sound but no pic (I've done it accidentally and though my TV was busted! ).

I just had my second pair of CC's installed on Tuesday. Once again, the install worked like a charm. The installer even called me before the appointment to confirm that 1) the CC's were for a TiVo and that 2) I knew that the TiVo required two and that I couldn't use (2) TiVo's with one each.

One thing to remember if you decide to place an order for CC's. Do not let the rep tell you they can ship the CC's to you. They cannot. CC install requires a truck roll and the installation fee. I've seen this story repeated here several times and experienced it first hand on Monday. The rep placed the order and told me to expect the cards in the mail. When I questioned why my first install in October needed a truck roll, she checked and came back and said, sorry, you are right, we need an install appointment.

Cheers,
Greg
RossoNeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #9
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
Now THAT is cool! It would allow me to verify the CCs work with the HD channels before I have an HDTV to display them (something that was a sticking point with getting the HDTV last).
Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
webin

Thumbs up

So now I have my HDTV installed, a TivoHD being delivered Thursday, and a cable Card install scheduled for Friday...

I think that will take care of my original question