TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: How di your CableCARD install go?
They installed perfectly and have been working perfectly ever since 291 36.56%
They took a little work to get going but they're working fine now 242 30.40%
They've been installed but they're still not working right 167 20.98%
The cable company refuses to install CableCARDs into a TiVo 19 2.39%
Don't have a S3, just want to see results 77 9.67%
Voters: 796. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

How did your CableCARD install go?

Just a quick poll to see how well people's CableCARD installs are going.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
davezatz
Funkadelic

Mine was pretty bad. One non-visit, two visits, several phones calls and debtates. A lot of frustration and a lot of wasted time. My lineup and billing may still be off, but I haven't had the energy to deal with it.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
ah30k

1st card worked
2nd and 3rd cards failed to auth
4th card worked.

Other than failed cards it went smoothly. The tech and the headend guy were using me as an experiment in making the things work so I had their undivided attention.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
nhaigh

The My Cablecard instal went Ok thread

There are so many negative stories I thought I 'd share a positive one.

My guy arrived and and looked blankly at the TiVo he'd never seen before. He shoved the cards in the slots, wrote down the numbers TiVo displayed, called in for activation, tested the channels and left.

All worked fine. I re-ran guided setup and started setting up HD SP's.

I'm sorry but it just worked great.
1 x TiVo S3 HD left
3 TiVo Premiers
Verizon FiOS - No Copy Protection :)
nhaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
amjustice
FINALY HD w/Series3

Thanks for sharing that, its good to hear some good stories as well, but usually its just a case of the squeeky wheels, which there are a few of on this board today
Old 09-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
jwolgamott

Time Warner

I had a great experience as well. I went by Best Buy on saturday afternoon, picked up the Tivo Series 3, then drove directly to the Sugar Land (TX) Time Warner Service center. I told the woman that I wanted to get two cable cards for HDTV, and signed up for HDTV on the spot. She handed them over and told me they rent for $1.75 each per month.

I went home, installed them into the Tivo and called the CableCARD activation number. The instructions said it was only open 8-5 M-F, but a person answered the phone and helped me install it without any trouble.

I tried to fake Time Warner out by telling them I had 2 HDTVs, and it worked until they asked me what type of TV I had... Ooops! No worries though, I fessed about the Tivo Series 3 and he continued without any hoops or problems.

24 hours later my HBO and ESPN was "unlocked" -- before then I had all my local HDTV ready to go.

It was seriously easier than hooking up the Series 2 with the digital cable box.

Last edited by jwolgamott : 09-18-2006 at 01:25 PM. Reason: mispell on title!
jwolgamott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
tivoknucklehead

so far I am the only big time loser (total refusal)

see my thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=317236
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
ThePlungerMan

How about installed and not working AT ALL.
Waiting for a call from a Tivo sup. tech. It might be my Tivo box

6 cards so far.

Last edited by ThePlungerMan : 09-18-2006 at 02:17 PM.
ThePlungerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

When you insert the cards does the MMI screen pop up? If so then the CableCARD is being recoginized properly by the TiVo, and the problem is that they are not properly authorized by the cable company. If not then it may very well be the TiVo.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #10
sharding

I posted this in the Comcast thread, but it applies outside of Comcast, so I thought I'd repost here. I'm sure that there are some true problems going on out there. But it seems like a large proportion of them are unnecessary complications being added by the cable companies not understanding the technology.

Just to reiterate, there is absolutely nothing special that Comcast has to do to make this work. They may think there's something special or unusual, but there isn't.

Not only does Comcast not know I'm using my Cable Cards in a TiVo (they never asked anything about what they're going into), they didn't even need any information from me when I called to activate them. They didn't need me to tell them the hardware IDs from the TiVo, the serial numbers from the cards or anything else. They already had the info from the cards associated with my account from when I picked them up, and that's all they needed to make it work. If anything special needed to be done becuase it's a TiVo, or because it's two cards in one box, it wouldn't have happened for me because they didn't know. And yet, they both work perfectly.

Honestly, I think the cable companies are making this way more complicated than it should be. If they were to just shove the cards into the slots, and then proceed as if it were two cable card TVs, they'd be fine (except, of course, when the cards are bad or there's some other problem. But those issues aren't any different because it's a TiVo either).
sharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #11
btwyx
Substantive Member

Once the installer actually arrived it seemed pretty smooth. The ony problem was he couldn't get through to the people who need to authorise the cards for about 5 mins, and it then took them another 10 mins to actually do the authorisation. The cards gave the 161-4 error which TiVo says you can ignore http://customersupport.tivo.com/know.../tv010416.htm?

Getting the installer here was the problem, for an 8-12 appointment he didn't turn up by 12 and didn't ring to tell me he wasn't arriving (as required by law). Comcast only offered $20 compensation for this, which is more of an insult than anything. When DirecTV did that to me, at least they tried to bribe me with $90 worth of freebies.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
keenanSR

Positive experience here. First card had the 161-4 error, passed that by, and the rest went smoothly.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharding
Just to reiterate, there is absolutely nothing special that Comcast has to do to make this work. They may think there's something special or unusual, but there isn't.
This may be dependant on whether you local area is a Motorola or a Scientific Atlanta site.

For Moto areas, they have to enter pairing information into the Access Controller in the headend. This pairs the CableCARD to the host. They do this to prevent you from taking you CableCARD over to your buddies house for the big game.

The DAC (Digital Access Controller) in the headend enables encryption of video in the CableCARD and requires the Host ID (specific to the TiVo) and the CableCARD ID (specific to the CableCARD) to both be entered into the DAC.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:41 PM   #14
sharding

Sorry, it may have been a mistake to post the same thing in two places, because now we have to have the same conversation in two places

But, for the record: I understand that they may need more information than they got from me in some cases. But my point was really that what they need is not any different from what they'd need for a Cable Card TV. By freaking out when they hear it's a TiVo, they're adding unnecessary complication to the process. They should proceed as they would with any other Cable Card install. That doesn't mean it will never fail, but Cable Card installs on TVs aren't foolproof either. I guess I just don't quite get why the cable companies are treating this as if it's a completely new animal, when in the end it requires exactly the same thing as a Cable Card TV...
Old 09-18-2006, 03:56 PM   #15
TheChadAZ

Thumbs up

Phoenix - Cox

I had a 3-5 appt. today, guy actually showed up at around 1 pm (called first and asked if OK to come early...like I would say no? )

The Tivo saw both cards immediately as soon as he had them in (the second card showed as installed, but when we went into the host id screen it was blank, he pushed on the card to make sure it was in tight and the screen came up). They didn't seem to authorize at first so we rebooted the Tivo. A message came up on the screen that said the number of cable cards had changed (still showed both though) and when we went to the test channels screen it said that it was unavailable. He called the office again and had them re-hit the cards with the authorization signal and they both came up. I hope that they don't loose their config after a reboot or something...

Otherwise everything is up and running and I am trying to setup my season passes now .
TheChadAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #16
Larry in TN

My install went well, just one small hicup...

In my area, Comcast tells you to go by one of their many local offices to pick up the cableCARDs. I have one about two miles from my house so I had them here waiting when the S3 arrived. I popped in the cards but they didn't work. The channels remapped, so I was able to get the unencrypted QAM channels on their cable-assigned channels, but I couldn't get the rest of the digital channels.

Couldn't resolve the issue over the phone so they sent out a tech (no charge). After some various calls to have the cards re-hit they figured out that there were two problems. The first was that something hadn't been setup correctly in my account so they weren't sending the correct information to the cards. Additionally, one of the two cards that I had picked up were bad. When the installer replaced that card everything worked fine.
Larry in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:26 PM   #17
wtkflhn

Well.
My S3 is due tomorrow. I can't wait to see what challanges it will present. I know it won't pick up digital chanels without the cable cards. But what about the locals you can get with a QAM tuner. Can you get them without cablecards? Also, can you get OTA stations with an outside ant. like the series 2?

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #18
keenanSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn
Well.
My S3 is due tomorrow. I can't wait to see what challanges it will present. I know it won't pick up digital chanels without the cable cards. But what about the locals you can get with a QAM tuner. Can you get them without cablecards? Also, can you get OTA stations with an outside ant. like the series 2?

Don H.
Yes, you can get in-the-clear QAM channels, usually any local digital stations the cableco carries, no CC needed, although there won't be any guide data either.

Yes, OTA, both digital and analog.

As a side note, the S3 has a damn fine OTA tuner in it, I'm getting stations I never got before, plus, the stations I used to just barely get with an HR10-250, come in nice and strong.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:46 PM   #19
monkeyboy1010
Long Time User

Thumbs up LA TWC install smooth-ish

The installer was to arrive between 1 - 5 pm, he was here at 1:04 (major thumbs up)

1st card no go, 2nd card fine, installer only had 2 cards. Calls supervisor and says he will be back before the end of day with more cards. I work at home so this is fine with me.

4ish, installer returns and goes through 3 cards till he gets a winner that the authorizer can see in the tivo. Done.

After having been with DirecTV service for the last 10 years using the original DirecTV TiVo and then the Hughes HR10-250, I can honestly say the picture quality diff is HUGE from DirecTV to TWC. DirecTV has starved their signals slowly over the last few years to the point that even my wife, who does'nt normally care about such things, noticed that every thing looked "fuzzy around the edges". So far, so good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 - S3
monkeyboy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:40 PM   #20
jhonaker

Cox, Fairfax Cty VA.

Guy brought over 2 cable cards. He seemed a little surprised to see a TiVo there, but I showed him where to put one in, and we got the codes from it, then put the other in and got the codes from it.

He called in, waited on hold a good bit, finally got through, and had someone turn them on. We slowly started seeing HD channels appear, so he took off.

I told the box our channel lineup was wrong, so it started that whole business again. I had to leave, so the bf finished that up, but it all looks ok.

I just went through and removed all the homeshopping channels and made high def season passes for some of my old season passes.

I like my series 3, and I'm glad I haven't missed too much of the season.
jhonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:09 AM   #21
jfh3

See my experience in posts #6 and #8 here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=317120

I picked "They took a little work to get going but they're working fine now".

I'm not totally convinced I would've been successful (or it would've taken a lot longer) had I not had a top tech with special access to a conditional access guru.

The regular front line people clearly didn't know how to handle cable card issues, but then I had two difficult problems - account set up problems and uninitialized cable cards.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:37 AM   #22
vman41
Omega Consumer

Familiar pattern. Maybe 10 years ago, I knew a couple people who bought ISDN that had real nighmare installs - the phone company was clueless and really wasn't interested. The first people I knew to get DSL usually had problems getting the things going, but things quickly got better as the market took off.

OTOH, the rollout of cable modems by TWC here in the late 1990s was relatively smooth.
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:44 AM   #23
jhonaker

My installer wasn't terribly familiar with everything. We put the first card in, up came the numbers, ditto for the second. He called in (waiting on hold for awhile), they went back over some numbers, and high def channels slowly started appearing when I was testing.

The installer was very skeptical and probably would have tried to tell me it wouldn't work if I'd have given him the openig.

I think "on the other end" they were entered as both being on my sharp aquod, which has at least one slot, but I don't know if it has 2 or not. Not that they got a model or anything.

I didn't mention TiVo before the appt, and the installer didn't mention it over the phone when he was activating the cards.
jhonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #24
mchad

Cablevision of Westchester arrives 15 min before the close of the window. Tech was a geek (good to see) and was psyched to see the S3. Installed both cards. However one card, while it showed as authorized, no video was displayed, and the tech only had the two cards. So off he went saying a supervisor would call to set up a follow up appt. at my convienence. So far no call.

I called TIVO tech supp last night, just because I didn't like that all the diags showed that the bad card should be working, but after going through the guided setup and testing the video from that card, the support person read off his screen that it was probably the cablecard.

So I wait...
mchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:10 AM   #25
khill821
Cool Guy! Really...

Cox - San Diego

Installer showed-up a few minutes early with multiple Cable Cards in-hand (even though the order got messed up and only one was requested). The guy looked at the TiVo and said "This will be my first one of these, but we just heard about them yesterday."

Followed the instructions provided by TiVo, both cable cards were instantly recognized. He called in to authorize the cards and we were done. Working perfectly since.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #26
damonnoah

Install of Cable cards - not too bad

My install went pretty well. I received my Tivo 3 last night got it unpacked and hooked up to a 61" Pioneer Elite plasma screen through HDMI. worked perfectly. I went to install the cable cards and then called Warner cable which transfered me to Tier 3 support. I told them i had 2 cards for my Tivo 3 and they proceeded to help me with no questions or problems. In fact, the Tier 3 folks were extremly competent. I gave them my numbers of the cards. THe problem is my basic channels were not coming in, i kep getting a blue screen saying "please wait, acquiring channel line up". I called Time Warner back and we spent about an hour testing each card, switching slots, etc etc etc. After about an hour an half and three phone calls later the tech determined that the cards we're probably not working and for me to exchange them out in the morning. We got off the phone, I put the cards back in, one at a time and they stared working. For those of you who may have this problem this is what i did.

once in installed card 1, i just waited into the black screen popped up with the time warner pairing info for the card, then i went to test channels and it worked. Prior, as soon as I inserted the first card, i quickly inserted the second card an try to configure the cards and for one reason or another it just didn't work. I'm still not positive that installing one at a time and being patient was the trick but they are working now. I called Time Warner back up, gave them the new Host numbrer (that is the only number that changed) and now i'm waiting from the premium channels and HD encoded channels to unlock.

Looks great folks.

Damon
damonnoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #27
bonesbiscuit

Rejected

Been turned down twice by Time Warner in Austin, saying the cards they have are only for TVs, not DVRs. Supposed to be having a supervisor call me. Can someone share with me the TIVO VIP number I have seen referenced?
Thanks,
--seth

Last edited by bonesbiscuit : 09-19-2006 at 05:49 PM.
bonesbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #28
mbobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwyx
Getting the installer here was the problem, for an 8-12 appointment he didn't turn up by 12 and didn't ring to tell me he wasn't arriving (as required by law). Comcast only offered $20 compensation for this, which is more of an insult than anything. When DirecTV did that to me, at least they tried to bribe me with $90 worth of freebies.

"as required by law"? Now, being stood up by the installer is a real PITA, but illegal?? Can you clarify, please?

-Mark
mbobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #29
sharding

One minor problem with the poll: I don't think there's any way for people who vote "They've been installed but they're still not working right" to update their vote once they're working. So this may over-report problems, based on early troubles...
Old 09-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #30
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbobak
"as required by law"? Now, being stood up by the installer is a real PITA, but illegal?? Can you clarify, please?
California Civil code section 1722 is all about four hour appointments and being stood up by deliveries and installers. There a section specifically for the cable company.

Quote:
(b) (1) Cable television companies shall inform their subscribers
of their right to service connection or repair within a four-hour
period, if the presence of the subscriber is required, by offering
the four-hour period at the time the subscriber calls for service
connection or repair. Whenever a subscriber contracts with a cable
television company for a service connection or repair which is to
take place at a later date, and the parties have agreed that the
presence of the subscriber is required, the cable company and the
subscriber shall agree, prior to the date of service connection or
repair, on the time for the commencement of the four-hour period for
the service connection or repair.
(2) If the service connection or repair is not commenced within
the specified four-hour period, except for delays caused by
unforeseen or unavoidable occurrences beyond the control of the
company, the subscriber may bring an action in small claims court
against the company for lost wages, expenses actually incurred or
other actual damages not exceeding a total of six hundred dollars
($600).
(3) No action shall be considered valid if the subscriber was not
present at the time, within the specified period, that the company
attempted to make the service connection or repair or made a diligent
attempt to notify the subscriber by telephone or in person of its
inability to do so because of unforeseen or unavoidable occurrences
beyond its control. If notification is by telephone, the cable
television company or its agent shall leave a telephone number for a
return telephone call by the subscriber to the company or its agent,
to enable the consumer to arrange a new two-hour period for service
connection or repair.
No attempt, dilligent or otherwise, was made to notify me they were running late, so they can't even claim unforseen circumstances.
btwyx is offline   Reply With Quote