TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #121
CR Hawkeye

The one good thing about Mediacom...they never deliver on schedule. Hopefully the dongle will be ready by then.
CR Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #122
SnakeEyes

True
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #123
TheNatureRoy

I have a Directv HD DVR at the moment but I'm moving to Iowa City and won't be able to keep it. I'll have to go with Mediacom but I've found their Motorola HD DVR pretty clunky. I've been thinking about going with Tivo HD, but you guys are scaring me -- it's sounding like it could be a pretty big hassle.

Does anyone here have any experience dealing with Mediacom Iowa City while getting Tivo HD setup? Any advice?

Also, I'm not moving until June. Should I start making calls now to make sure I get what I need from them?
TheNatureRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #124
CR Hawkeye

TheNatureRoy, I live in Cedar Rapids and have 2 HD Tivos. Each time I called Mediacom I was able to schedule an appointment within a week. Remember to mention that you want a M-card. Good Luck.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #125
TheNatureRoy

Thanks. So do you think there's a good chance I'll be able to get a tech in Iowa City who knows what they're doing, as far as installing and setting up a HD Tivo?
Old 03-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #126
CR Hawkeye

In my installations the techs didn't know anything about cablecards or tivo. They brought the card and I inserted it and showed them the cable card information. They called it in and it worked.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #127
TheNatureRoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Hawkeye View Post
In my installations the techs didn't know anything about cablecards or tivo. They brought the card and I inserted it and showed them the cable card information. They called it in and it worked.
Thanks again... this is all new to me.

What cable card information should I have to show them so they can call it in?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found the FAQ.

Last edited by TheNatureRoy : 03-24-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:00 AM   #128
druidj

Wow. I bought an HD TiVo last week. I have Mediacom as my provider in Huntsville, AL. When I called to turn off my DVR service, cancel my box rental, and get 2 cable cards instead, everything went smoothly. (Minus the fact that I mistakenly used the word disconnect somewhere when talking to the first lady which got me transfered to retention immediately. After hanging up, calling back, and re-explaining without using the D word...)

Mediacom policy around here is apparently to require the user to go to the Mediacom office to return the DVR and get the cable cards. Which is what I wanted to do anyways, so I was happy. He didn't even seem to have a way to enter into the system that I wanted Cable cards and could even look up the price for me, said that was all handled at the local office.

I'm a little worried about getting to the local office and being given the run around or told they have none left, but oh well. At least now I can do all this on my schedule rather than spending all day at home waiting for the cable guy to show up.

I'll let everyone know how it goes once I get the cable cards.

On a related note, my wife and I have both noticed an increase in picture quality on the SD channels through TiVo vs. the cable box.
druidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #129
druidj

Picked up the M card today without any problems. Called and activated it without any problems.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #130
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by druidj View Post
Picked up the M card today without any problems. Called and activated it without any problems.
Wow...I wish that had been the case with me. I have an S3 and finally bit the bullet ordering two CableCARDS. They first said I could pick them up at the local office. Went to the local office, and, of course, they said no, you can't pick them up here; it requires a truck roll. Got them installed last Friday, but the tech failed to get them properly initialized (missing channels, both low end and HD). Called tech support Saturday, and spent 30-45 minutes with the CS person convincing her to hit my cards. She finally talked to a "supervisor" who, indeed, hit the cards, and all my channels appeared. Sunday, USA HD disappears. Monday, it re-appears. For the most part, it looks like everything's fine, except every once and ahwile, I lose audio on a non-HD channel accompanied by some video stuttering. If I switch tuners then switch back, that "fixes" the problem. I'm keeping a close eye on it and may get new cards if this continues or worsens.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #131
sieglinde

Mediacom is changing to all digital in my area in September. Will I need new cablecards or are all cable cards digitial? I noticed that my TV lately has been acting like any standard TV getting HD signals. I have great picture but words are off the edge of the screen etc. (I figure folks who make commercials really want you to be able to read all the words on the screen and I noticed a commercial this morning with words under the "edge" of the screen.) I have an H2 so I figure I can use the Tivo box to convert to 480 as I am presently doing.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #132
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
...For the most part, it looks like everything's fine, except every once and ahwile, I lose audio on a non-HD channel accompanied by some video stuttering. If I switch tuners then switch back, that "fixes" the problem. I'm keeping a close eye on it and may get new cards if this continues or worsens.
Update here -- haven't lost any channels. Actually Mediacom just added a couple more channels this week; TNT HD and TBS HD. My occasional audio loss continues (and it's not limited to non-HD channels as I first suspected), but rarely. I'm 95% satisfied so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Mediacom is changing to all digital in my area in September. Will I need new cablecards or are all cable cards digitial?...
I believe so. That's what they're designed to do -- decode digital signals. I wouldn't think you would need new CableCARDS. No word on when they'll go all digital in this market.

XL4
Old 08-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #133
sieglinde

I am looking forward to digital, sounds like they are adding a few channels I want and a lot I don't want.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #134
druidj

Quote:
Update here -- haven't lost any channels. Actually Mediacom just added a couple more channels this week; TNT HD and TBS HD. My occasional audio loss continues (and it's not limited to non-HD channels as I first suspected), but rarely. I'm 95% satisfied so far...

I believe so. That's what they're designed to do -- decode digital signals. I wouldn't think you would need new CableCARDS. No word on when they'll go all digital in this market.
I discovered yesterday that Mediacom in Huntsville, AL has added USA HD, SciFi HD, FSN HD, and it looks like sports south HD. (Sports south is just the test signal screen, so not sure what is up with that.)

The odd thing is that HD TiVo won't get the guide info for it. (Or at least it had not 4 hours after I forced a network connect.)

It doesn't even show up on TiVo's webpage when you look at the schedule for my area yet, although it does show up on Yahoo's schedule for my area.

Anyway, I don't care, as long as it stays around. Now I just have to wait for a show to come on SciFi that supports HD to see what kind of quality I'll get... Maybe Stargate Atlantis tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #135
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I discovered yesterday that Mediacom in Huntsville, AL has added USA HD, SciFi HD, FSN HD, and it looks like sports south HD. (Sports south is just the test signal screen, so not sure what is up with that.)

The odd thing is that HD TiVo won't get the guide info for it. (Or at least it had not 4 hours after I forced a network connect.)

It doesn't even show up on TiVo's webpage when you look at the schedule for my area yet, although it does show up on Yahoo's schedule for my area.

Anyway, I don't care, as long as it stays around. Now I just have to wait for a show to come on SciFi that supports HD to see what kind of quality I'll get... Maybe Stargate Atlantis tomorrow.
If they just added those channels in the last couple days, I wouldn't expect the TiVo guide listings for at least another week -- possibly sooner. IIRC, it was a week or two before TiVo had the guide listings for USA HD, WGN HD and Comcast Sportsnet HD.

XL4
Old 08-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #136
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
... Maybe Stargate Atlantis tomorrow.
Stargate Atlantis rocks in HD.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #137
druidj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Stargate Atlantis rocks in HD.
Ah crap. I just remembered I'm going to wedding tonight and won't get to watch Stargate Atlantis in HD tonight! (Tivo still doesn't have it in the guide so I don't think I can record it! Must find a way...)
Old 09-03-2008, 06:02 AM   #138
kpfleming

I too am in Huntsville (well, really out in Madison County, but on the same Mediacom system called 'Capshaw') and have had these channels listed in my guide info for quite a while; however, neither of my S3s will successfully display them. I can tune to them, but get a black screen and no audio.

On one S3 I've already tried "Clear & Delete Everything" after Mediacom sent a hit to the CableCards, but no dice, still nothing when I tune to these channels. I'm going to try C&DE on the other S3 this morning just to verify consistent behavior, then call Mediacom to find out what's going on. Glad to see someone here successfully watching these channels... I was concerned they might be SDV :-(

I'm also happy to see that Mediacom now allows CableCard pickup at the office; they did not allow that when I got mine and it took *four* tries to get them to show up to install the cards.
kpfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #139
druidj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfleming View Post
I too am in Huntsville (well, really out in Madison County, but on the same Mediacom system called 'Capshaw') and have had these channels listed in my guide info for quite a while; however, neither of my S3s will successfully display them. I can tune to them, but get a black screen and no audio.

On one S3 I've already tried "Clear & Delete Everything" after Mediacom sent a hit to the CableCards, but no dice, still nothing when I tune to these channels. I'm going to try C&DE on the other S3 this morning just to verify consistent behavior, then call Mediacom to find out what's going on. Glad to see someone here successfully watching these channels... I was concerned they might be SDV :-(

I'm also happy to see that Mediacom now allows CableCard pickup at the office; they did not allow that when I got mine and it took *four* tries to get them to show up to install the cards.
That sucks that you can't seem to get the channels...

I too am actually out in Madison county and live near Capshaw Rd. I have been able to verify that I am actually getting HD feeds on those channels now. I noticed that alot of the SciFi shows were showing up as SD, but it seems that any newer shows they play do show up in full HD. Seemed to be good quality.

So you have the S3 instead of the TiVo HD? (I can't imagine why that would make a different though...)

When you say they are in your guide info... Do you get any info on the shows? or just the name of the channel?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #140
sieglinde

Have you tried a manual recording?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #141
druidj

Quote:
Not yet. I would guess that will work fine. Last Friday Stargate Atlantis wasn't on and I haven't seen anything else I've wanted to watch yet. I'll give it a try later tonight and verify it works.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #142
kpfleming

I have full guide info for all the channels; I can tune to any of the channels and see what is currently on... except I have no video or audio.

So I have two S-cards in each of my S3s, and you have one M-card in your HD. That is a difference I suppose... but then one of my S3s is also missing both ESPNHD and ESPN2HD, where the other receives them just fine. I don't know if this could be bad CableCards or what; I think my next step will be do some card swaps between the units and see if the ESPN channels follow the cards.
kpfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #143
druidj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfleming View Post
I have full guide info for all the channels; I can tune to any of the channels and see what is currently on... except I have no video or audio.

So I have two S-cards in each of my S3s, and you have one M-card in your HD. That is a difference I suppose... but then one of my S3s is also missing both ESPNHD and ESPN2HD, where the other receives them just fine. I don't know if this could be bad CableCards or what; I think my next step will be do some card swaps between the units and see if the ESPN channels follow the cards.
Yeah, card swaps would probably be a good step, possibly even with Mediacom. Although, out of the four of the cards I would think that at least one could tune to these channels if it was just a card issue. Have you verified you cannot tune to the channel with each tuner on each S3? (I assume you can do that on the S3 when viewing current channel info just like on the TiVoHD...)

I wonder why I can't get guide data. Maybe I need to re-run the setup... Does that delete all of my season passes and thumbs-up/down settings?
Old 09-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #144
upatoi15

What brand of cable cards does Mediacom offer? Anyone have service in the Columbus, GA Area?
upatoi15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #145
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by upatoi15 View Post
What brand of cable cards does Mediacom offer? Anyone have service in the Columbus, GA Area?
In our market, Motorola and Scientific Atlanta.

XL4
Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #146
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
...Maybe I need to re-run the setup... Does that delete all of my season passes and thumbs-up/down settings?
Not unless you do a clear-and-delete.

XL4
Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #147
druidj

Quote:
Not unless you do a clear-and-delete.
Thanks for the info. I may give it a shot then. I did notice that zap2it does not show the channels I don't get guide data for as being available in my area. I read that they use the same source for guide data as TiVo, so I'm guessing that I'm just out of luck for a while.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #148
druidj

Quote:
I tried setting up a season pass as a manual recording to record on SciFi-HD at 9pm on Friday evening and it did not work. I'm not quite sure why it didn't work since it shows up in my Season Pass list.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:13 PM   #149
upatoi15

I heard that Scientific Atlanta hasn't updated their firmware in over a year. Motorola is apparently the best.
upatoi15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #150
sieglinde

Mediacom in Ridgecrest, CA is finally going digital. It looks a little rocky. I am not getting signal on some unimportant channels. They are offering some sort of converter box. I hope since I have cable cards, that I won't need one. You cannot call their local office to ask about the schedule etc. I have a few channels now that say there is no signal. These are the community channels but sometimes there are local candidate forums that I would like to see at this time of year.

Anyone else go throught the Mediacom HD transition?