TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #91
MrTangent
*insert title here*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mount Vernon, Missouri
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnknpk04
I just bought my HD Tivo (Springfield MO). Called mediacom and was told by the CSR that I just need to pull my cable card out of the machine and put it in the tivo. Said he sent some signal to it and it would work and set me up for an appointment to have a tech come install card #2 (Yes...apparently they are not carried at the local office and I get to wait 3 weeks and pay 35 bucks to get it installed). Needless to say after reading up on Cable cards, this did not work. So I called back and was told that they dont have to guarantee that Cable Cards will work in 3rd party devices...what a crock. So I asked for a supervisor and got to stay on hold for 5-10 minutes. Didn't get a supervisor, was told by same CSR that they needed to have the tech install 2 fresh ones instead of one because you 'cant deauthorize the one for the TV'. This doesn't seem right to me so I again ask to speak to the supervisor. Was put on hold for 3-4 minutes and the same CSR came back saying the supervisor wouldn't speak with me because he was on the phone and would just be repeating what she had said. I was pretty mad at that point. I was told to call back tomorrow to speak with one of the head managers (probably given a fake name). Not too happy with mediacom at the moment. Did anyone else have this much trouble?
Hang in there, lnknpk04. I had problems when I bought my Tivo Series 3 and wanted cable cards installed as well (earlier this Spring). Apparently I was the first one in this area (Springfield, but I'm actually in Mount Vernon) to have cable cards installed.

At first they proclaimed up and down that cable cards could not be installed in third party devices. I was insistent since I had done my homework. The first lady at the Springfield office would not work with me and insisted that I was wrong. I finally hung up on her and called back, knowing that I would probably get another operator. The second one insisted as well that cable cards weren't supported. I gave her this very thread as proof that they were. She said they would check it out. They put me on hold and she read the thread and saw that, in fact, cable cards were supported. Not only that, but cable companies are MANDATED BY LAW to support them.

Finally they acquiesced and said that they'd send a tech out with cable cards, but couldn't promise they'd work. They missed one appointment since they said they were out of stock of the cable cards. Finally they arrived. The installer and I put them in and went through the settings. Basically we didn't have to do anything on the TiVo. He just had to call in and told the main office to send a "hit" on the cards (a digital ping of some sort) that registered the cable cards as being authorized. They had to do this for each card and bada-bing, bada-bang, they were working. You'll lose video on demand, but that's it. Now with Amazon's Unbox it's not really a missing feature. You can just buy videos over the internet through your TiVo with Amazon's Unbox (you can also call in a video on demand request and it'll work, apparently, but can't order it directly from the TiVo).

Also, you shouldn't have to pay the install fee. They waived mine. Demand that you shouldn't be liable as you're a paying customer and pay every month and the fact that you'll have to pay $4/month cable card rental fee ($1.99 per cable card per month). Insist that you shouldn't pay it. They nickel and dime the customers so there's times when you should fight for your right not to pay, so to speak.

Be persistent. Apparently some cable cards are defective so tell them that you want the next installer to bring out several just in case. Be firm about this. You shouldn't have to wait around as a paying customer while they order more. And be certain they don't charge you for the cable card rental fee while you're waiting.

If you need more help, here's my email: tangent@mrtangent.com

Take care and good luck.
__________________
Mr. Tangent - Series 3 TiVo, Mediacom cable
MrTangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #92
ToddNeedsTiVo
Shampoo is not toxic
 
ToddNeedsTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ankeny, IA
Posts: 634
Another ringing endorsement for the CableCARD installation experience. Cable customer service reps can barely tell "the big hand from the little hand" on their wall clock, yet we expect them to provision these complicated, different-in-every-cable-system devices smoothly. It also helps that the card(s) might be defective when the tech shows up like we've read here so many times. Makes me want to rush out and upgrade my Mediacom analog service to digital with CableCARDS for my new TiVo HD here in central right now! Oh wait, their non-OTA HD offerings are too lame to bother anyway.
ToddNeedsTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #93
joneSi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnknpk04
I just bought my HD Tivo (Springfield MO). Called mediacom and was told by the CSR that I just need to pull my cable card out of the machine and put it in the tivo. Said he sent some signal to it and it would work and set me up for an appointment to have a tech come install card #2 (Yes...apparently they are not carried at the local office and I get to wait 3 weeks and pay 35 bucks to get it installed). Needless to say after reading up on Cable cards, this did not work. So I called back and was told that they dont have to guarantee that Cable Cards will work in 3rd party devices...what a crock. So I asked for a supervisor and got to stay on hold for 5-10 minutes. Didn't get a supervisor, was told by same CSR that they needed to have the tech install 2 fresh ones instead of one because you 'cant deauthorize the one for the TV'. This doesn't seem right to me so I again ask to speak to the supervisor. Was put on hold for 3-4 minutes and the same CSR came back saying the supervisor wouldn't speak with me because he was on the phone and would just be repeating what she had said. I was pretty mad at that point. I was told to call back tomorrow to speak with one of the head managers (probably given a fake name). Not too happy with mediacom at the moment. Did anyone else have this much trouble?
Send me a PM. I'm one state north of you (Quad Cities, Iowa/Illinois), but I may be able to help out. Let me know...I have a few people who may be able to help out.

Steve Jones 'joneSi'
joneSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:03 PM   #94
lnknpk04
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7
thx

I appreciate the support. Talked to a rep today that was nice and said she'd escalate the issue to one of the managers on site. Said that they will review waiving the fee and will see about getting my install date pushed up. Supposed to get a call in the next few days, so we'll see.
lnknpk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #95
lnknpk04
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7
Update

Now the card in my TV seems to have gone bad according to the Techs over the phone for mediacom. Heres the inconsistency...the guy was really nice and offered to mail me a new card. He even thought that my previous order for the two new cards was being mailed to me for installation (which they are not), which means that mediacom DOES allow for customer installation w/o a tech! Still no word from the supervisor...following up as we speak.
----
Ok. So the CSR in sales tells me that the tech should not have mailed me a card to my residence because as of 4 months ago their policy changed to not allowing customers install their own cable cards because of the continual problems customers had with installing them (hopefully she didn't jack with the order, because I'd love to get a cable card in the mail next week! Thats one card in the Tivo!). Cindy, the supervisor in springfield wont be in until monday and never called me back....the saga continues!

Last edited by lnknpk04 : 11-03-2007 at 09:41 AM.
lnknpk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #96
lafos
Registered User
 
lafos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Troy, Ohio
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai-jin
When my cablecards were installed, they didn't take down the host/data ID. I've called and offered it, but I'm told they don't use that anyway, it only gets noted in the comments, not actually provisioned out at all.

Anyone know whether this is the case?
That was the case for me as well. I was able to move the cards between TiVos and they remained authorized. mediacom even told me that the ability to move the cards without a tech visit was why they didn't use the pairing codes.
lafos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #97
lnknpk04
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7
oh mediacom

Tech is out here telling me that they dont support tivos....confused as to why hes getting errors when he refuses to follow the guide sheet that came with the tivo. Gonna pull my hair out.

And they only brought one of the two cards i ordered!
lnknpk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #98
ToddNeedsTiVo
Shampoo is not toxic
 
ToddNeedsTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ankeny, IA
Posts: 634
How dense are these cableco geniuses, anyway? Did you get a contractor or an actual Mediacom employee?

Dude, here's the sheet! Can't follow printed instructions? No wonder it doesn't work!

Why do we keep hearing stories about how cable installers react to CableCARDS as if it was Borg technology?

Get out of my house!
ToddNeedsTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #99
lnknpk04
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7
update

Well, its installed. The tech kept calling me 'son' and kept on insisting that they didn't do this kind of support. Regular channels and HD tier work but not my digital plus channels. hopefully the next tech they send out is knowledgeable because if I get any more crap from these people I'm complaining to the local body that regulates cable companies out here in Springfield. On a more funny / offending note, the CSR that I talked to said this is the reason why she doesn't like ordering people cablecards. "its a faulty technology".



ITS WORKING NOW!!!!

Last edited by lnknpk04 : 11-20-2007 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Update
lnknpk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:47 PM   #100
ToddNeedsTiVo
Shampoo is not toxic
 
ToddNeedsTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ankeny, IA
Posts: 634
More HD?

I saw this posted over at AVS:
Mediacom Eyes HD Expansion
NOVEMBER 06, 2007

Mediacom Communications Corp. may have posted a disappointing quarter Tuesday, sending shares below a 52-week low, but the company is still pushing ahead with a plan to enhance its service portfolio, including a hefty expansion of high-definition television (HDTV) content in time for the 2007 holiday season.

Speaking Tuesday morning with reporters and analysts, EVP of operations John Pascarelli said Mediacom's "basic family cable" tier will offer between 30 to 40 hi-def channels for the added cost of the new set-top.

"We expect to announce the first phase of the new HD channels in the next 30 days," he said. With that being the first phase, I guess we can expect subsequent phases, which will be required to keep up with the beefy hi-def lineups DirecTV Group Inc. (NYSE: DTV - message board) and EchoStar Communications Corp. are flaunting.

In other strategy-related moves, Mediacom -- which has much more DSL than fiber-to-the-home competition to contend with since Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE: Q - message board) is its primary telco competitor -- also plans to offer its low-end cable modem service (likely its 512-kbit/s tier) across the board, and couple that with a "fixed, long-term pricing strategy."

Mediacom is also teeing up a commercial voice product slated to launch in the first half of 2008.

While Mediacom used its earnings call to outline some new strategies, quite the opposite happened during Insight Communications Co. Inc. 's later in the day.

Insight, which turned in a solid quarter, offered nothing new about its prospects for a sale (and no analysts even brought it up in the Q&A session), which all but confirms that the MSO is off the block for now... or at least until sometime after it wraps up its system deal with Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) later this year. (See Insight-ful Questions Expected Tuesday.)

— Jeff Baumgartner, Site Editor, Cable Digital News
I certainly hope this pans out! The question is: could I just add two CableCARD rentals in lieu of a "new set-top" and receive these new HD channels with my existing "family cable" subscription? Surely not...that seems too easy. Watch it be SDV or something.

source: Light Reading
ToddNeedsTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:58 PM   #101
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddNeedsTiVo View Post
I saw this posted over at AVS:
Mediacom Eyes HD Expansion
NOVEMBER 06, 2007

Mediacom Communications Corp. may have posted a disappointing quarter Tuesday, sending shares below a 52-week low, but the company is still pushing ahead with a plan to enhance its service portfolio, including a hefty expansion of high-definition television (HDTV) content in time for the 2007 holiday season.

Speaking Tuesday morning with reporters and analysts, EVP of operations John Pascarelli said Mediacom's "basic family cable" tier will offer between 30 to 40 hi-def channels for the added cost of the new set-top.

"We expect to announce the first phase of the new HD channels in the next 30 days," he said. With that being the first phase, I guess we can expect subsequent phases, which will be required to keep up with the beefy hi-def lineups DirecTV Group Inc. (NYSE: DTV - message board) and EchoStar Communications Corp. are flaunting.

In other strategy-related moves, Mediacom -- which has much more DSL than fiber-to-the-home competition to contend with since Qwest Communications International Inc. (NYSE: Q - message board) is its primary telco competitor -- also plans to offer its low-end cable modem service (likely its 512-kbit/s tier) across the board, and couple that with a "fixed, long-term pricing strategy."

Mediacom is also teeing up a commercial voice product slated to launch in the first half of 2008.

While Mediacom used its earnings call to outline some new strategies, quite the opposite happened during Insight Communications Co. Inc. 's later in the day.

Insight, which turned in a solid quarter, offered nothing new about its prospects for a sale (and no analysts even brought it up in the Q&A session), which all but confirms that the MSO is off the block for now... or at least until sometime after it wraps up its system deal with Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) later this year. (See Insight-ful Questions Expected Tuesday.)

— Jeff Baumgartner, Site Editor, Cable Digital News
I certainly hope this pans out! The question is: could I just add two CableCARD rentals in lieu of a "new set-top" and receive these new HD channels with my existing "family cable" subscription? Surely not...that seems too easy. Watch it be SDV or something.

source: Light Reading
It SHOULD be as easy as adding the cablecards. But, of course, nothing seems to be easy with Mediacom. I have a business acquaintance who works in sales for them in the Quad Cities, and he alluded to this in a conversation a few weeks ago. It is good news...I'm just waiting to see what's offered and for what price. I'm strictly analog cable with OTA HD right now. They'd have to offer the moon for me to even consider it. But I'm an insane hockey fan, and if they offer Versus HD, I might consider it.
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #102
lnknpk04
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7
HD channels

I pay for two cable cards and pay for the high def and digital plus teirs. I should get this included, no?
lnknpk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:39 PM   #103
Xenon221
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ames, IA
Posts: 26
I would think you'd get all the HD. I asked my installer just yesterday and he indicated that HD would be kept in sync on the CARDs.

On another unrelated note. Is anyone having trouble with QAM stations on 479MHz? CNN, TNN, TBS, Spike, etc... are all pointing to this freq., which is seemingly without signal. I get, searching for signal on cable 1. Strangely, on the 1st all of this worked. The problem started when Mediacom switched Ames to all-digital.

Also, does everyone else have the distorted one-channel (left-side) audio on TWC 26? Just curious. Anyway, thanks guys- my first post in nearly 3 years on here. I'd be glad to share my CableCARD install experiences: it's been rough! :-)
Xenon221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #104
linerate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9
Just thought I would share my CC install experience so far. Called Mediacom last week to have CC's installed in my S3. She said no problem, will work fine, but the two CC's you need are in high demand and not in stock at your local office. We will have them shipped (up to 10 days, only took 3) to the local office where you can pick them up and install them yourself. Great. Last night picked them up right before closing, got home and installed the first one, called Mediacom to pair it up. After giving him the Serial #, Test Channels, no joy. Very friendly Mediaacom OP says they gave me M-Cards and they will not work in the S3 at all. "Need S-Cards" and says "they should have those in stock at the local office." Office was closed so called this morning. New operator says, nope, the M-Cards are all they have in stock and we were all sent a memo by Tivo a few days ago that the M-Cards will work in Single mode only, so just use 2 M-cards. So, I had her order the S-cards just in case and now I'm going to try again to have these M-Cards activated by a "better" operator this afternoon. Wish me luck. BTW, got both cards for only $1.99 after I asked.
linerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #105
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by linerate View Post
Just thought I would share my CC install experience so far. Called Mediacom last week to have CC's installed in my S3. She said no problem, will work fine, but the two CC's you need are in high demand and not in stock at your local office. We will have them shipped (up to 10 days, only took 3) to the local office where you can pick them up and install them yourself. Great. Last night picked them up right before closing, got home and installed the first one, called Mediacom to pair it up. After giving him the Serial #, Test Channels, no joy. Very friendly Mediaacom OP says they gave me M-Cards and they will not work in the S3 at all. "Need S-Cards" and says "they should have those in stock at the local office." Office was closed so called this morning. New operator says, nope, the M-Cards are all they have in stock and we were all sent a memo by Tivo a few days ago that the M-Cards will work in Single mode only, so just use 2 M-cards. So, I had her order the S-cards just in case and now I'm going to try again to have these M-Cards activated by a "better" operator this afternoon. Wish me luck. BTW, got both cards for only $1.99 after I asked.
I believe I've read in the S3 thread that the M cards will work but act just like the S cards. Where are you located?
__________________
"You don't know Bierboy like I know Bierboy. He became a lot more amusing after I figured out his sense of humor..." -- Rob Helmerichs

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #106
linerate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I believe I've read in the S3 thread that the M cards will work but act just like the S cards. Where are you located?
Huntsville, AL
linerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #107
MrTangent
*insert title here*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mount Vernon, Missouri
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by linerate View Post
BTW, got both cards for only $1.99 after I asked.
$1.99 apiece each month or $1.99 for both each month?

Good luck on your install.
__________________
Mr. Tangent - Series 3 TiVo, Mediacom cable
MrTangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #108
linerate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTangent View Post
$1.99 apiece each month or $1.99 for both each month?

Good luck on your install.
"both cards for only $1.99" and thanks! She first tried to rent them for $1.99 a piece, but after asking if she knew anything about the "charge per box, not cards" she placed me on hold and came back with the good news.

Merry Christmas!!!
linerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #109
sieglinde
Registered User
 
sieglinde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 5,350
I went ahead and purchased a Tivo HD with lifetime. I was originally going to do the trade the Lifetime on your S2 for it but decided to do lifetime because that may be how long it takes my local Mediacom to get me cable cards.

I live in a small high desert town in California. I went to their bricks and morter office and they had not heard of Tivo or cable cards. I called their help line and their Florida based folks knew about both. Two S-cards will cost me $1.99 each a month. This is a good deal considering that my cable box is one of the brands that does not work well with the infrared changing method that Tivo uses.

I am still waiting for the cards. They were supposed to call me back with an answer. Seems they are being specially ordered.

The technician who came over to work on my internet said that the cards were not provided locally, he had never dealt with them. I pointed out that TVs now came with slots for them not just DVRs.

Interestingly enough, the customer service rep said that these were customer installed. They would come by mail with instructions and the customer installs them.

Veddy interesting.

Any opinions on my odd experience?

This weekend I will set up the HD box with no channel input just to make sure it boots up. I will be buying a new antenna and getting off the air TV.
__________________
Science over Superstition
sieglinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #110
ToddNeedsTiVo
Shampoo is not toxic
 
ToddNeedsTiVo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ankeny, IA
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I went ahead and purchased a Tivo HD with lifetime.
[snip]
Two S-cards will cost me $1.99 each a month. This is a good deal considering that my cable box is one of the brands that does not work well with the infrared changing method that Tivo uses.
It's more of a good deal because your TiVo HD can't control a cable box anyway.
ToddNeedsTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #111
linerate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9
M-Cards are installed in my S3 and working great! No problems once I finally found someone at Mediacom that knew how to properly pair and validate. I would say less than 10% have any training on this that is worth anything. A couple of operators admitted how bad it was and some really wanted to understand more about the process. I even had one call me back to troubleshoot and "try something else". I had some operators saying things like they didn't support Tivo's at all even with their CC's. One tried to charge me $29.95 for a special service call. One had never heard of CC's before and of course another said that only S-cards would work. (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23#post5784823)

If they would only add some more quality HD channels everything would be perfect. They have lowered their HD package to only $6.95/month and are giving ESPN's and local HD's for free. But I hope that doesn't mean they won't be offering more channels any time soon. All in all, I am much more satisfied with my S3 and Mediacom over D***TV no matter the fewer HD channels right now. Now, to get that $200 rebate sent off!
linerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #112
hunts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 77
*sigh* no cablecards

I have the installer come out yesterday to install cable and internet. When the contractor called to find out where I was exactly (new housing developement) he mentioned that he only had 1 cablecard on him, but knew that I required 4 of them. He stated that Mediacom will have to them send out more to ether me or their local office. It was very clear as to when or where they were going to be. Did other users have mediacom send them the cards straight to the house?
hunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:53 AM   #113
cembandit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
I just ordered a card for my Tivo HD from Mediacom. The service rep asked me what kind of Tivo I had. I told her a Tivo HD. Then she told me that she is going to order a single M card.

She said the cableman would be here on Xmas eve to install it. $15 installation fee, $1.99 per month for the card.

She told me that I would lose on demand features. I said I was fine with that and she said ok, just wanted you to know.

Sounds way too easy so far. I hope I don't get the same cable guy that tried to install my internet RJ45 cable into my firewire port.
cembandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:06 AM   #114
Bsteenson
TiVo is no BS
 
Bsteenson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Iowa
Posts: 132
I'm on Mediacom and have had HD w/ cablecards for about a month. When I ordered I was told by three different customer service people and the technician who installed that Mediacom does not have M cards, only S cards. I was also told the price would be $1.99 per month EACH, even though they are in the same box.

Dear Mediacom ... do you have the slightest clue?

BS
__________________
NOW ENJOYING:
Premiere Elite; Premiere; TiVoHD; Series 2 DT (total 5.1 TB storage!); TiVo Stream
RETIRED:
Series 2 DT (2); Series 2 (2); Series 1 (2)
Bsteenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:03 PM   #115
sieglinde
Registered User
 
sieglinde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 5,350
I thought I had it all set up to go. I had to replace my first HD Tivo because it was defective so I canceled my appointment with Mediacom for two S-cards. The fact that the main headquarters set this up made me think, yes, my local Mediacom does support cards. I get the new HD Tivo and set up an appointment of for Christmas Eve of all days. I get a phone call that morning saying that they don't support cable cards in my area. What kind of noise is that?

I am going to write whatever state agency controls cable TV and the FCC. What a bunch of crap. Good thing I have lifetime on both my Series 2 and the HD box. This could take forever.
__________________
Science over Superstition
sieglinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #116
Perfectdark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Arrow I don't have faith in Mediacom

Mediacom has given me the run around for 5 weeks. I have a series 3 Tivo and 2 cable cards that work but are not paired with my Tivo. If anyone can share an experience with me on how to get a CSR to realize that you need HOST and DATA in order to pair a card to get encrypted channels?

Here is a forum I started with Broadband Reports if you want a real Kicker on how awful Mediacom can be!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r196...-Series-3-Tivo
Perfectdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:43 AM   #117
fritolayguy
Science, bitches
 
fritolayguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Liberty, MO.
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectdark View Post
Mediacom has given me the run around for 5 weeks. I have a series 3 Tivo and 2 cable cards that work but are not paired with my Tivo. If anyone can share an experience with me on how to get a CSR to realize that you need HOST and DATA in order to pair a card to get encrypted channels?
I just finished with my second TIVO cable card setup with Mediacom here in Springfield. I went to their office to pick up 2 cable cards for my new Tivo HD (I already have a Series 3 with CC's as well). What I have learned is that the best way for me to ensure the cards were paired correctly was to call TIVO tech support when I reched the point in guided setup where you are asked to put in the cable cards. I then provided them with the host id and other pertinent info (TIVO CSR will ask for what they need). When they have the data for both cc's, the TIVO CSR will then initiate a three way call with Mediacom CSR, and walk them through the process. Took 10 minutes yesterday, and both cc's are operating perfectly.

Just my 2c.
fritolayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #118
sieglinde
Registered User
 
sieglinde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 5,350
Success!!!! A local Tivocommunity reader got Mediacom to install cards for his Tivo. They were trained at his house. (Not too much training required.) I was next and mine was a success. No more cards are left in my area but word will get around and they will need to get more.

We go HD in March.
__________________
Science over Superstition
sieglinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #119
CR Hawkeye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 11
Did anybody see this article about mediacom using SDV in 2008?

Source: EngadgetHD

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/02...ks-to-add-mor/
CR Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #120
SnakeEyes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,237
Ugh.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |