TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2007, 08:25 PM   #61
veruca salt
I want it NOW!!

I finally decided to go HD. I called my friendly Mediacom customer service and was told that their cable cards do not work in TiVos. She even asked her supervisor who was "very knowledgable about TiVos". I explained to her that I had been warned that they would say that and that their cable cards DO work in TiVos. She then explained that it had something to do with the FCC. Any suggestions? Should I just call back and get someone else?

She also wanted to know the make and model of my TiVo. Since I have just ordered it, can anyone help me out with what I'm going to get? I ordered from Weaknees and I didn't get the THX one...just the basic model.
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 PM   #62
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veruca salt
I finally decided to go HD. I called my friendly Mediacom customer service and was told that their cable cards do not work in TiVos. She even asked her supervisor who was "very knowledgable about TiVos". I explained to her that I had been warned that they would say that and that their cable cards DO work in TiVos. She then explained that it had something to do with the FCC. Any suggestions? Should I just call back and get someone else?

She also wanted to know the make and model of my TiVo. Since I have just ordered it, can anyone help me out with what I'm going to get? I ordered from Weaknees and I didn't get the THX one...just the basic model.
Again, if you would post your location (or better yet, put it in your signature) that might help us respond here. In the Quad Cities, the Mediacom CSRs apparently are well aware of the TiVo S3 units, so, if you are located here, they should know better. If not, tell them that their company DOES INDEED install cablecards in TiVos (here in the Quad Cities) and they can call the offices here to find out more

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:55 AM   #63
jfh3

Quote:

The CSR and her supervisor are both wrong.

They are required to support CableCARDs in any CableLabs approved device. If they are really going to look up the model number on the list - it is TCD652160 and the manufacturer is Tivo.

They don't need that info anyway - the headend system doesn't know or care what the host device is - only the host id.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #64
veruca salt
I want it NOW!!

Last edited by veruca salt : 10-04-2007 at 08:16 PM.
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #65
ihawktech

Quote:

So Mediacom showed up last week and installed the cards on my new TIVO HD. It took them a while but they got them going.

Veruca..... the way I got around the whole "not supporting Tivo' thing was when I called I just told the CSR that I needed two cards for a TV. I gave the model that another user had posted on this forum. I think it was on the first page. THe CSR gave me no problems and I scheduled a time just a few days later. That had been the second time I called. the first time I got the same runaround as you.

Hope this helps.

I am in the Des Moines ares
ihawktech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #66
joneSi

I had them bring 3 cards (the guy brought more like 10 of them, lol). I told them 2 for a TiVo HD, (NOT a mediacom DVR, which is what they thought I was talking about), but my own hardware that takes Cable Cards. I never mentioned anything about the FCC. 1 for my TV. For those ever important times to record 2 programs and watch a third.

I am in the Quad Cities. BTW, if anybody ever has an issue getting this done here in the Quad Cities, send me a PM. I have some connections at the cable office (I used to work there, work there now on a part time basis), PLEASE NOTE: that I got mine done without resorting to the people that I know. So it CAN be done.

joneSi
joneSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #67
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneSi
I had them bring 3 cards (the guy brought more like 10 of them, lol). I told them 2 for a TiVo HD, (NOT a mediacom DVR, which is what they thought I was talking about), but my own hardware that takes Cable Cards. I never mentioned anything about the FCC. 1 for my TV. For those ever important times to record 2 programs and watch a third.

I am in the Quad Cities. BTW, if anybody ever has an issue getting this done here in the Quad Cities, send me a PM. I have some connections at the cable office (I used to work there, work there now on a part time basis), PLEASE NOTE: that I got mine done without resorting to the people that I know. So it CAN be done.

joneSi
Good to know joneSi...thanks for the post!

XL4
Old 09-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #68
joneSi

Oh, right, you probably don't want to send a PM to somebody if you don't know their name...so the name is Steve, btw.

joneSi

EDIT: I have been informed by 'someone in the know' that it -SHOULD- be possible to do a user install on cablecards. He told me that I could have skipped some of the fun with the install by just going to the local office on Kimberly RD. in Davenport. I was told this on Friday. So there you have it. That might just work for some waiting or needing an install with mediacom. I don't know if that will work in other markets.

Last edited by joneSi : 09-16-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #69
scottytohotty77

$1.50 for 2 cablecards?

So I'm I'm seeing that people are getting 2 cableCards for one TIVO for only $1.50 by saying the two cards are for only one machine orsomething. Apparently one individual here at tivocommunity has done extensive research and found that this is the intention of the FCC that you be charged per box not per card (who knows). Anyways anyone had luck getting 2 cards for only $1.50? Thanks
scottytohotty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #70
SnakeEyes

Ugh, frustration here with a new TiVo HD and Mediacom in Central Iowa. Tech came out earlier and had never done a TiVo CC install. Scanned the card into their system and popped it in, sent a hit, and expecting it to work. He didn't write down or submit the pairing information. After a few calls of his in a failed effort to find someone with TiVo CC exp I told him about the pairing information and how it had to be in their system correctly for the TiVo to work properly. He said he assumed the card handled everything by itself, that when he installs cards in TVs he never has to get/enter/provide info like that. He called dispatch to inquire about providing the pairing info and they didn't know. His super didn't know either. He said he would just have to put in a follow up for a senior technician to return later and that it might not be until Monday.

This is ridiculous. Comcast's process of just calling support and giving them the pairing info is so easy.

Did I mention the digital cable box is already deactivated so I am stuck with nothing for the weekend.

Thing I am concerned with is that nobody seemed to know about or what to do with the pairing info. Conditional access will always say Val: ? 0x00 until someone knows what is going on.

Has anyone run into this and/or knows who I need to talk with, ask to speak with, or what to tell them to call/say so this can be resolved?
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #71
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes
Ugh, frustration here with a new TiVo HD and Mediacom in Central Iowa. Tech came out earlier and had never done a TiVo CC install. Scanned the card into their system and popped it in, sent a hit, and expecting it to work. He didn't write down or submit the pairing information. After a few calls of his in a failed effort to find someone with TiVo CC exp I told him about the pairing information and how it had to be in their system correctly for the TiVo to work properly. He said he assumed the card handled everything by itself, that when he installs cards in TVs he never has to get/enter/provide info like that. He called dispatch to inquire about providing the pairing info and they didn't know. His super didn't know either. He said he would just have to put in a follow up for a senior technician to return later and that it might not be until Monday.

This is ridiculous. Comcast's process of just calling support and giving them the pairing info is so easy.

Did I mention the digital cable box is already deactivated so I am stuck with nothing for the weekend.

Thing I am concerned with is that nobody seemed to know about or what to do with the pairing info. Conditional access will always say Val: ? 0x00 until someone knows what is going on.

Has anyone run into this and/or knows who I need to talk with, ask to speak with, or what to tell them to call/say so this can be resolved?
Have you tried PMing the Mediacom employee, Lori Kae, who has posted in this thread?

XL4
Old 10-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #72
SnakeEyes

No, I figured that since her last activity was months ago that perhaps that wasn't an option anymore. I'll try though
Old 10-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #73
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I just sent her an e-mail, too, on another issue, but also asked if she's still around these parts.

XL4
Old 10-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #74
pendragn

Those of you in Ames how much is your cable bill? I stuck with DTV because upfront cost of TiVo + TiVo montly fee + cable fee + cable HD fee + 2 cabel card rental sounded like too much. I'm stuck with DTV for a while but I have a lot of friends that are considering going the TiVo route. I'd like to know what impact that's going to have on their cable bill.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #75
Buffalo Bill

Northwest Florida. After HOURS on the phone talking with people who kept telling me I couldn't get 2 S-cards, let alone an M-card, I finally got to talk with a regional manager. Long story short, got 2 S-cards in a week. Installer was clueless--and left with nothing working. I swapped out cards myself after getting info from Tivo HD seller. Had to have Mediacom boost signal. Then I followed instructions on Tivo web site working with Mediacom's rep on phone and got it all working great with a signal strength showing 93-96%. Gotta let the Tivo HD go through its own setup and be patient.
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #76
MrTangent
*insert title here*

MojoHD in Springfield, MO?

Has anyone gotten the Mojo channel with HD tier via Mediacom?

According to their site there's a new channel called MojoHD that apparently is on channel 852 in at least one area. It's an HD channel that's a part of the HD tier.

Anyone know if and when it will come to Springfield (Mount Vernon), Missouri area?

I have a Series 3 TiVo with two cable cards (and get Broadcast Basic/Family cable, Digital Plus and the High-Definition Tier along with cable internet).
MrTangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #77
MrTangent
*insert title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn
Those of you in Ames how much is your cable bill? I stuck with DTV because upfront cost of TiVo + TiVo montly fee + cable fee + cable HD fee + 2 cabel card rental sounded like too much. I'm stuck with DTV for a while but I have a lot of friends that are considering going the TiVo route. I'd like to know what impact that's going to have on their cable bill.

tk
Here's a breakdown for you:
  1. One time fee for TivoHD: $249 (no shipping or tax through Amazon.com)
  2. Cost per month from TiVo: $8.31 (if you sign up for 3 year prepaid plan which is $299 divided by 36 months)
  3. Cost per month for Mediacom: $74.88 (this includes Family Cable [expanded basic/broadcast basic], Digital Plus and HDTV Tier but does NOT include the Digital Premium channels like Starz, Encore, HBO, Showtime, TMC, Sundance)

Here's the breakdown of the above Total Cost per month for Mediacom (according to my statement in Springfield, MO): $51.95 (Family Basic), $9.00 (Digital Plus), $9.95 (HDTV tier), $1.99x2 (Cablecard rental).

Here's the HDTV channels I receive as a part of my HDTV package: ESPN HD, Universal HD, Discovery HD, HDNet and HDNet movies. You should also get Fox, CBS, PBS, ABC and NBC locals in high definition for free, regardless of if you sign up for the HDTV tier.

That should give you a rough estimate. If you sign up be sure to ask for deals. Since you're a new customer you should be able to get a 6 month or 12 month introduction rate on the cable. Be sure to press for one! Also, if you sign up for internet, phone and cable together you'll get a discount.

I would highly recommend TiVo. It's better than I expected (just started using one myself this year).
Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #78
SnakeEyes

The Des Moines area has had MOJO since before it was switched from InHD.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:10 AM   #79
hunts

I am potentially moving to an area that is mediacom cable. If more people can post how much they are charging for cable cards and their service, that would assist me greatly! I would be looking at the family plan with internet.
hunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #80
MrTangent
*insert title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunts
I am potentially moving to an area that is mediacom cable. If more people can post how much they are charging for cable cards and their service, that would assist me greatly! I would be looking at the family plan with internet.
See above for how much I pay for each service. I also pay $45.95 for cable internet, but I probably get some sort of discount for either the cable television or internet since I get both together. I know for a fact that you get a discount if you sign up for their phone, internet AND cable tv bundle. Of course, it's expensive but by signing up for the trifecta, you do get some bones thrown your way.

By and by I would recommend Mediacom. After dial-up I used CenturyTel (DSL) for a year or two and had a LOT of intermittent outages. Since switching to Mediacom, I haven't had very many outages at all for my cable or internet. It's *extremely* rare in fact. And according to speed tests at dslreports.com and elsewhere I have a pretty fast connection with fairly low latency (usually get 3-5 mbps down and 500 kbps up, and this is over WiFi).
Old 10-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #81
pendragn

Thanks MrTangent, that helps a lot.

tk

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:05 AM   #82
MrTangent
*insert title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn
Thanks MrTangent, that helps a lot.

tk
No problem. I also pay for internet, which I posted in a follow-up post. You can see how much it is. For the sake of full disclosure, however, I am getting a $37 or so discount taken off my bill. I vaguely recall I'm going to get this discount for six months. Maybe it'll be permanent? I can only hope... but I think they gave me some sort of special. You might have to sign up for both cable tv and internet to get it. Just be sure to press for a special discount to your bill.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #83
joneSi

Anybody else in other Mediacom areas going all digital today? I've been excited about this since reading about it.

Quad Cities (Between Iowa and Illinois) is supposed to be going all digital today...though I'm still looking at an analog picture here on Discovery. I'm going to call them if it doesn't switch and try to figure it out...

joneSi
Old 10-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #84
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

What do you mean by going "all digital"? How is that going to change what I am seeing from my cable out of the wall into my S3 or my Hitachi 51-inch HD-ready TV? I don't see how it's going to make any difference. Does that mean if I don't subscribe to the digital package I don't get anything? I don't think so. Please clarify what impact you think this will have.

XL4
Old 10-15-2007, 02:35 PM   #85
joneSi

All digital meaning that if you have a DCT (digital cable terminal) then channels 2-77 will NOT be in analog but in digital. Thus "all digital" because then channels 2-780 will have 0 analog channels (but will continue to be put out via digital for non digital customers for the time being). No more fuzzy analog recordings as TiVo HD now on anything not in HD and not on Digital Cable. Think DirecTV quality on non HD channels. They also got rid of HBOWest, ShowWest, MAXWest etc. They said it was to free up bandwidth to add HD channels, but I have yet to see any more of those.

If you do not have a cable card for your S3, it will change nothing for you.

HOWEVER, I just spoke with my inside guy and he told me that they are behind in getting this rolled out (surprise surprise) and it is not going into effect today. I'll see if I can find out more but this is always nice...

joneSi
Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #86
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneSi
All digital meaning that if you have a DCT (digital cable terminal) then channels 2-77 will NOT be in analog but in digital. Thus "all digital" because then channels 2-780 will have 0 analog channels (but will continue to be put out via digital for non digital customers for the time being). No more fuzzy analog recordings as TiVo HD now on anything not in HD and not on Digital Cable. Think DirecTV quality on non HD channels. They also got rid of HBOWest, ShowWest, MAXWest etc. They said it was to free up bandwidth to add HD channels, but I have yet to see any more of those.

I checked the HD offerings from Mediacom in our area and I'm NOT impressed. HD Net, Universal HD, ESPN and ESPN2 and Discovery. Not a whole lot.

If you do not have a cable card for your S3, it will change nothing for you.

HOWEVER, I just spoke with my inside guy and he told me that they are behind in getting this rolled out (surprise surprise) and it is not going into effect today. I'll see if I can find out more but this is always nice...

joneSi
Thanks for the clarification. I have the basic expanded package and do not use cablecards in my S3. I get my HD OTA. So I'm pretty sure this won't change anything for quite awhile. I can't imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth among the average demographic in the Quad-Cities (old!) who don't have a clue what digital means, what HD means, etc. etc. if they were unable to continue getting their analog cable.

BTW, I checked the HD offerings by Mediacom in this area, and all they have is HD Net, Universal HD, ESPN, ESPN2 and Discovery. Not much in my book (especially since I'd have to upgrade to digital, upgrade to the HD package and pay for two cablecards monthly).

XL4
Old 10-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #87
joneSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy
Thanks for the clarification. I have the basic expanded package and do not use cablecards in my S3. I get my HD OTA. So I'm pretty sure this won't change anything for quite awhile. I can't imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth among the average demographic in the Quad-Cities (old!) who don't have a clue what digital means, what HD means, etc. etc. if they were unable to continue getting their analog cable.

BTW, I checked the HD offerings by Mediacom in this area, and all they have is HD Net, Universal HD, ESPN, ESPN2 and Discovery. Not much in my book (especially since I'd have to upgrade to digital, upgrade to the HD package and pay for two cablecards monthly).
Not a problem. I agree about people complaining about this if it were a necessary move ( like comcast chicago is 100% digital ONLY, you MUST have a cable box...) people would complain, but they are being great to those (like me!) who really want higher quality cable while at the same time being good to those who don't want a box or cards.

I live for HD, including those that you mentioned. I'll watch -almost- anything as long as it is in HD, and I kill for football/baseball in HD (ESPN is good for this), but that is me...What I really like is more than just the HD, all of the goofy digital stuff that Tivo finds for me. Science channel stuff, etc. If you knew how much I pay for cable, you'd literally be sick. And I couldn't blame you, I AM ready to cut some (but -not- my HD!) and my OTA is terrible right now.

joneSi
Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #88
Gai-jin

When my cablecards were installed, they didn't take down the host/data ID. I've called and offered it, but I'm told they don't use that anyway, it only gets noted in the comments, not actually provisioned out at all.

Anyone know whether this is the case?
Gai-jin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #89
SnakeEyes

After multiple phone calls I finally talked to someone that was certain they didnt use it. The screen still says Val: ? but I receive every channel.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #90
lnknpk04

Angry Mediacom :(

I just bought my HD Tivo (Springfield MO). Called mediacom and was told by the CSR that I just need to pull my cable card out of the machine and put it in the tivo. Said he sent some signal to it and it would work and set me up for an appointment to have a tech come install card #2 (Yes...apparently they are not carried at the local office and I get to wait 3 weeks and pay 35 bucks to get it installed). Needless to say after reading up on Cable cards, this did not work. So I called back and was told that they dont have to guarantee that Cable Cards will work in 3rd party devices...what a crock. So I asked for a supervisor and got to stay on hold for 5-10 minutes. Didn't get a supervisor, was told by same CSR that they needed to have the tech install 2 fresh ones instead of one because you 'cant deauthorize the one for the TV'. This doesn't seem right to me so I again ask to speak to the supervisor. Was put on hold for 3-4 minutes and the same CSR came back saying the supervisor wouldn't speak with me because he was on the phone and would just be repeating what she had said. I was pretty mad at that point. I was told to call back tomorrow to speak with one of the head managers (probably given a fake name). Not too happy with mediacom at the moment. Did anyone else have this much trouble?
lnknpk04 is offline   Reply With Quote