TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
sumsh

Need advice... bad drive?

I have a Tivo series 2 model TCD540040, with an added Maxtor 200Gb drive (240 max with both drives). The other day I turned on my TV and noticed nothing on the screen. I grabbed my Tivo remote and hit info and the info screen came up, so I figured my cable was out. I swapped my cable input to the TV directly and got a picture. So I rebooted my Tivo and noticed the intro movie was hanging here and there. Then I tried to watch a recorded program and it skipped and hung so badly that it was totally unwatchable. I figured one of my drives was bad, so I pulled them out and ran the Maxtor diagnostics test on them, and they both passed! So my question is, what should I do next? Is it still possible one of my drives may be bad, or do I have hardware problems? Thanks in advance for you help!

-sumsh
sumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:09 AM   #2
luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumsh
I have a Tivo series 2 model TCD540040, with an added Maxtor 200Gb drive (240 max with both drives). The other day I turned on my TV and noticed nothing on the screen. I grabbed my Tivo remote and hit info and the info screen came up, so I figured my cable was out. I swapped my cable input to the TV directly and got a picture. So I rebooted my Tivo and noticed the intro movie was hanging here and there. Then I tried to watch a recorded program and it skipped and hung so badly that it was totally unwatchable. I figured one of my drives was bad, so I pulled them out and ran the Maxtor diagnostics test on them, and they both passed! So my question is, what should I do next? Is it still possible one of my drives may be bad, or do I have hardware problems? Thanks in advance for you help!

-sumsh
What program did you use to expand your drives?
You could try looking here http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73
or checkout Gotlive? link in my sig it's the most updated mfs tool out in the market

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
sumsh

I used Maxtor Powermax to check my drives. I checked the voltage of my power supply, and I'm getting 5.09v from the red wire, and only 10.63v from the yellow (it should be 12). Is that too low, or is it close enough to 12 to not be the problem?
sumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Gargoyle557

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumsh
I used Maxtor Powermax to check my drives. I checked the voltage of my power supply, and I'm getting 5.09v from the red wire, and only 10.63v from the yellow (it should be 12). Is that too low, or is it close enough to 12 to not be the problem?
That is about a -12% difference. Most computer power supplies are are spec'd at +/- 5% tolerance and some give a loaded spec at +/- 10%. I am not sure about a tivo supply though. You could look up your drive and see what its input supply specs are to determine if the supply is sufficent.

Strange thing is now that I have added more space and hacked my Tivos, I watch less TV than before...
Gargoyle557 is offline   Reply With Quote