Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2006, 11:57 PM   #91
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41
I think you'd want to do it so that all the file system's metadata remains on the internal drive, but a file's data allocation may be from the secondary drive (even the allocation map for the secondary drive would be on the primary. The TiVo could still manage the files if the drive was disconnected, just not be able to play the data.
What do you want to acheive with that?
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:08 AM   #92
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
What do you want to acheive with that?
The external drive would be dependent on the primary drive, not the other way around -- good fore reliability (as reliable as the internal drive). The external drive is also (nearly) useless without the matching primary drive -- good for content protection.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:26 AM   #93
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
The external drive would be dependent on the primary drive, not the other way around -- good fore reliability (as reliable as the internal drive). The external drive is also (nearly) useless without the matching primary drive -- good for content protection.
How does 1 improve reliability? esata fails, the data is gone, who cares if you can still delete the shows in Now Playing?

2 does that, but its not much fun.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:24 AM   #94
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
How does 1 improve reliability? esata fails, the data is gone, who cares if you can still delete the shows in Now Playing?
Only the data that is on the esata is lost versus all the data in TiVo's traditional 'married drive' configuration. The TiVo should make a best effort to allocate all a program's segments to the same disk and could make the initial disk preference based on criteria like season pass priority.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #95
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41
Only the data that is on the esata is lost versus all the data in TiVo's traditional 'married drive' configuration. The TiVo should make a best effort to allocate all a program's segments to the same disk and could make the initial disk preference based on criteria like season pass priority.
I see what you want to do now. TiVo would seperate the file system data for each disk my way, allowing esata disconnect and preserving file structure on both disks. Not much point in preserving directory data of a dead drive.

TiVo could duplicate entire directory data on both drives for reliability, but I'm not sure in what situations that would really permit recovery and would involve very complex recovery software to be written.

Even writing one program over both disks causes complications (confusion) on disconnect for the consumer. I'd stay away from that.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #96
herfmonster
technology squeezer

You know personally I could care less about what the companies want. All this talk about protecting my content and piracy arrrrgh. It is getting really tiresome. I realize there are people who will try to use content in a dishonest manner but the average consumer just wants to watch his favorite shows when and where he wants. TiVo has made the recording easier but hoops have to be jumped through to archive it. They made it easy to record in the living room but watch in the office with the S2 but oooh now thats an iffy thint to allow people to do with the S3. We have to have copy protection and disable that function and dont allow archiving to a portable storage medium that takes up less space. you know what I really want is a tivo S3 with a built in eight layer BluRay recorder and an ESATA connection that will recognize a 2terrabyte raid array that i can take from my house to my friends house sit down and watch an entire season of 24 by connecting it to his tivo S3 and then bring it back home. (my friend has a great home theatre and a wood fired pizza oven and a great liquor cabinet and allows cigars in his house) Notice how none of this is contrary to fair use. Why cant the content creators just prosecute people who pirate their content. i thought all this got worked out with VCRs how many of you still have a movie or two you recorded off of HBO to VHS tape still laying around that you never bought an official copy of. Are you bad people for having done so. How many of you have done that and gave it to your mom because she wasnt home to watch it when it aired. How many of you have an archive of wrestling pay per views lining a bookshelf. You know they sell those pay per views on DVD now. I guess you're just evil then.
herfmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #97
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herfmonster
you know what I really want is a tivo S3 with a built in eight layer BluRay recorder and an ESATA connection that will recognize a 2terrabyte raid array that i can take from my house to my friends house sit down and watch an entire season of 24 by connecting it to his tivo S3 and then bring it back home. (my friend has a great home theatre and a wood fired pizza oven and a great liquor cabinet and allows cigars in his house)
That would be the S3 laptop. Don't you want Bluetooth or whatever so your friend's entertainment system recognizes the S3 and streams the HD shows wirelessly? Otherwise its all just alot of lugging around.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:28 PM   #98
herfmonster
technology squeezer

No I just want to unplug my RAID array (basicly a case with 5X500GB hard drives in a RAID5 array and a power supply) unplug it from the wall and the tivo and take just the box and the ESATA cable over to my friends house plug it into the wall hook the ESATA cable into the TiVo and watch all 24 episodes of 24 season 6 from start to finish in 7.1 dts while we smoke all the cigars we want, eat all the wood fired pizza we want, drink all the beer and liquor we want, sit on his comfy leather couches, and then un hook the raid box take it home and hook it back into my S3 in my rather plain abode.

Notice how I said nothing about transfering files to his TiVo. We just watched the programming I recorded and enjoyed ourselves.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #99
mrmike
Custom User Title

Quote:
No I just want to unplug my RAID array (basicly a case with 5X500GB hard drives in a RAID5 array and a power supply) unplug it from the wall and the tivo and take just the box and the ESATA cable over to my friends house plug it into the wall hook the ESATA cable into the TiVo and watch all 24 episodes of 24 season 6 from start to finish in 7.1 dts while we smoke all the cigars we want, eat all the wood fired pizza we want, drink all the beer and liquor we want, sit on his comfy leather couches, and then
after a suitable amount of time has passed to allow the aforementioned beer and liquor to exit my system

Quote:
un hook the raid box take it home and hook it back into my S3 in my rather plain abode.

Notice how I said nothing about transfering files to his TiVo. We just watched the programming I recorded and enjoyed ourselves.

I fixed that up for you. And except for the cigars, I'm right there with you. Not at your friends place, 'cause I don't know him. But at one of my friends. Without the pizza oven, but with a really excellent grilling and (meat) smoking setup. Well, you get the idea.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #100
herfmonster
technology squeezer

See TiVo I'm not the only one even though minor variables pretaining to personal tastes are different. I still want to emphasize I never suggested doing anything illegal. The 2TB RAID aray I described aside from storage capacity and quality levels of recordings is essentially no different than a VHS tape. People have been recording shows on their home VCR for years and taking the tapes to another location and playing them on even a completely different brand name VCR for decades. you can even hook a Fisher VCR up to cable and tape a movie uncut from HBO then daisy chain a Sony an RCA a Panasonic a Mitsubishi a Toshiba and a Sanyo VCR to the Fisher and in one pass make 6 copies of that same movie that will look decent enough to sell at a flea market. Is that illegal? Definately and I'm sure someone has done it. What I Dont understand is that all these companies that produce content that is released in any form of digital delivery medium and devices that play it, (CD, DVD HDDVD BluRayDVD OTAATSC and more) is just because "someone" CAN do something illegal with the content that "everyone" IS GOING TO do just that. Why must there be all this protection from uses that are clearly FAIR USE?

TiVo you should just go ahead and release the TiVoS3 MarkII with activated ESATA, USB ports that recognize external drives such as backup hard drives DVD burners and such, and a built in BluRay burner that is ready to be firmware upgraded to Eight layer support.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #101
hookbill
Feathered Member

As it stands now all of my shows recorded on my SA 8300 will be on my Quickview Expander come time for install. It sure would be nice just to hook that up and watch through my S3, but no...I'll have to spend all day transfering to DVD prior to cable card install!

We need the eSATA active ASAP (or at least before my Cable Card install on 10/9).
hookbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:42 PM   #102
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbill
As it stands now all of my shows recorded on my SA 8300 will be on my Quickview Expander come time for install. It sure would be nice just to hook that up and watch through my S3, but no...I'll have to spend all day transfering to DVD prior to cable card install!

We need the eSATA active ASAP (or at least before my Cable Card install on 10/9).
You wouldn't be able to watch the SA 8300 recorded shows through the TiVo even if the eSATA on the Series 3 TiVo was active, because the recordings are different. In fact, you can't even view a SA 8300 show that might exist on the Quickview Expander on another SA 8300 because of the way SA had to implement the eSATA and the DRM requirements.
(3) Hughes HDVR2 6.2
(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2
(2) Buggy HR24 6/25/2011
DirecTV 10/94
tbeckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:15 PM   #103
herfmonster
technology squeezer

Hello mrmike I just wanted to let you know that it took a day or two for me to realize what it was you were editing in to my post. It struck me in the middle of my forehead yesterday but I haven't had the time to respond until now.

The reasons I didnt realise what it was are three fold. Firstly is is such a common sense thing to do that I do it of my own volition subconsiously. Secondly because both my friend and I will have reached the point of having consumed all the liquor and beer we want BEFORE becoming intoxicated. Thirdly, my friend and i are as much coffee afficionados as anything else. The thought of the return trip being completed being intoxicated never crossed my mind as I would never have done so. You were however quite correct in correcting my omission

Now lets keep talking about what exactly has been determined as FAIR USE and what TiVo can do to promote consumer friendly methods of implementing Fair Use.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #104
merced

The eRAID system from DAToptic would work well.

Can't post link because of not enough posts...
merced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #105
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'd be ok with the following:

eSATA enabled

When you plug a drive in, it says "external HD available, would you like me to format it and use it for Tivo recordings? or just scan it for Music and Pictures?"

When you're running, it says "Record to HD? or Record to eSATA? or "figure it out on my own?" (same could apply to season passes)

And a disclaimer that says "if you record to eSATA, removing the external drive will result in loss of those recordings unless you transfer them to internal HD"

I really could live with those limitations..

Diane
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote