TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
jshore

Cablecard Firmware Upgrade?

Anybody encounter this when installing the cable cards?

I was on phone with Cox (phoenix) and when i put in the second cable card, within a minute or so, instead of going to the screen with host i.d. and cable card #, a TiVo screen appeared that says "Firmware Upgrade" and "Upgrading the CableCARD... Cable Card firmware upgrade in progress.

The Cox tech guy couldn't see anything on his end indicating what was going on, and i spoke to TiVo rep who said it is a cable thing and above all else - do NOT unplug or reboot tivo, or remove the cable card.

It's been "upgrading" for 1/2 hour now....

Anyone else have this happen, and how long does it take?

Thanks for any help!

ps on a side note - still waiting to hear from TiVo if i successfully cancelled my order thru them, because I went to Fry's on Baseline in Tempe and they had two in stock (plus a third on the floor in demo mode).....naturally, i couldn't whip out my credit card fast enough....
jshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
Gregor

I've heard there are some firmware updates going to cable cards, but as TivoJerry said, you should let those complete.

No idea how long they take though.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
jshore

It's now been an hour.....

the screen changed once and asked me for my zip code again, then right back into the Firmware Upgrade screen.....
Old 09-16-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
ahaley42

TW had me power down my S3 and bring it back up and it did something like that on the way back up. Only took about 5 minutes.
ahaley42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
jfh3

Please make sure to let us know how it worked out - I've heard that firmware updates can take some time, but never heard of it taking an hour.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
jshore

Now at 90 minutes. Cox doesn't seem to see anything on their end. So I'm stuck in one of those great "Cox says it's Tivo, Tivo says it's Cox" situations.

Guess this is what i get for trying to do this myself without a tech here. (My neighbor works for Cox and and got me the cable cards directly. He's never done a cable card install, so has no idea what's up....and the CSR at Cox tech support had never done a cable card install before either)

I do have a service call set up for Tuesday. I'd like to think my screen won't be stuck on this Firmware Upgrade screen til then.....(naturally i will turn off tv and receiver manually if this continues much later.... )
Old 09-16-2006, 10:11 PM   #7
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshore
Now at 90 minutes. Cox doesn't seem to see anything on their end. So I'm stuck in one of those great "Cox says it's Tivo, Tivo says it's Cox" situations.

Guess this is what i get for trying to do this myself without a tech here. (My neighbor works for Cox and and got me the cable cards directly. He's never done a cable card install, so has no idea what's up....and the CSR at Cox tech support had never done a cable card install before either)

I do have a service call set up for Tuesday. I'd like to think my screen won't be stuck on this Firmware Upgrade screen til then.....(naturally i will turn off tv and receiver manually if this continues much later.... )
I would think if it hasn't done anything in 90 minutes you need to power down the system, then power it back up after a brief pause.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #8
jshore

My only concern was that the Tivo CSR was adamant that i should NOT unplug the Tivo or unplug the Cable card. To do so would supposedly damage my Series 3.

(Now at 2 hours.)

ps when i press any buttons like "tivo" or "left" or "right" i just get the tivo error noise.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:57 PM   #9
Roderigo

Quote:
My only concern was that the Tivo CSR was adamant that i should NOT unplug the Tivo or unplug the Cable card. To do so would supposedly damage my Series 3.
Sounds like a wedged CableCARD to me...

I wouldn't worry about damaging the Series 3 while the card's doing it's firmware upgrade, however you can hose the card. If you hose the card, you'll see symptoms like you're seeing now (firmware upgrade will never finish).

My guess is another customer removed the card while it was doing a firmware upgrade, and then returned it. Your cable company just put it back in stock, and delivered it to you without getting it unwedged.

The firmware upgrade usually takes around 5-10 minutes, and usually has a timeout of 1 hour. So, when you saw the Zip Code screen, that was after the timeout, and then the card going right back into trying to do a firmware upgrade.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:03 PM   #10
slimoli

Quote:

(Now at 2 hours.)

ps when i press any buttons like "tivo" or "left" or "right" i just get the tivo error noise.

I had a "cablecard firmware upgrade" last week and after waiting for more than 7 hours I gave up and reset my Mitsubishi 73927. After the reset , I tuned to the cablecard and again got the same msg. Waited for hours again and nothing. Since I couldn't do anything with the TV , I removed the cablecard an called the cableco for service. They told me that they didn't know anything about any firmware upgrade and sent a cableguy with a brand new cablecard. Plugged the new CC and no upgrade msg came up so far, everything working fine.

Please, give us a follow up on this. Thanks.

Sergio
slimoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:07 PM   #11
jshore

So any suggestions on next steps?

Should i unplug tivo, remove the 2nd cable card (which cox says is trying to pair to a Mitsubishi tv - the first cable card is paired to Tivo, according to them) and just see about operating with one cable card 'til Tuesday?

Or should i let this Firmware Upgrade screen continue until Tuesday when the Cox techs arrive?

(I'd love to even have ONE card working right now so i could play around and continue guided setup, start indexing guide info, get my harmony remote working, etc, etc.... then have the Cox techs install a second card on tuesday.)

Thanks for any tips!
Old 09-16-2006, 11:16 PM   #12
Roderigo

Quote:
Should i unplug tivo, remove the 2nd cable card (which cox says is trying to pair to a Mitsubishi tv - the first cable card is paired to Tivo, according to them) and just see about operating with one cable card 'til Tuesday?
That's what I'd do.

Do you live in the same area as Slimoli, maybe you got his bad card
Old 09-16-2006, 11:28 PM   #13
jshore

well, i bit the bullet and pulled the plug. Before powering up, i popped out the second cable card. Interestingly enough, when tivo powered back up and i did the "test channels" on cable card one, it said there were no channels available.

Continuing guided setup without it just to go in and play with other features. 75% thru "Getting program info" now. Guess i'll have to wait til tuesday and the cox techs to get cable card working... (that' probably when the Series 3 i ordered and supposedly cancelled from Tivo will arrive!)

More updates if anything else weird happens tonight (other than my Sooners losing on a terrible no-call on an onside kick - apologies to any duck fans out there...)
Old 09-17-2006, 01:08 AM   #14
slimoli

After I got the msg about the firmware upgrade I couldn't make the cablecard work any longer. My Mitsubishi simply went crazy and I had to wait for a new card. Looks like a CC virus...
Old 09-17-2006, 02:43 AM   #15
vman41
Omega Consumer

Since the device is passive, is the cable company sending out firmware patches in a continous loop and the CC picks it up the next time it sees it? Does getting your authorized channels programmed count as a firmware upgrade?
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:16 AM   #16
bferrell
Now in HD!

I got a firmware upgrade immediately after the CC was authorized, took about 20 minutes for me. Sorry you're having issues.

Brett
bferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:20 AM   #17
classicX
Don't scream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
I've heard there are some firmware updates going to cable cards, but as TivoJerry said, you should let those complete.

No idea how long they take though.
Who said it was TivoJerry?
Old 09-17-2006, 08:10 AM   #18
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX
Who said it was TivoJerry?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...76#post4378476

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #19
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41
Since the device is passive, is the cable company sending out firmware patches in a continous loop and the CC picks it up the next time it sees it?
Yes, that's exactly what they're doing. In the case of Scientific Atlanta, they're sending it out on a video frequency, so the card has to take over the tuner to access the data stream.

Quote:
Does getting your authorized channels programmed count as a firmware upgrade?
Nope. A firmware upgrade is really updating the code that's running on the card. Authorizations are just passing data down to the card.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:24 AM   #20
johnner1999

both of my cablecards needed udates - also SA cards (not sure if an other brand is avilable anyway) each lasted about 30-40 minutes. Also had no channels available in TEST MODE. about 3 hours went by (after the firmware finished)

after having CableVision zapping my cards and removing and reinstalling them <knocking on wood> all is working more or less. last night I had to unplug the S3 as it locked up even the time on the front pannel was stopped :-( I hope that is not a common thing!?
johnner1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #21
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Yeah, my cards both got firmware updates when first installed. But it only took a few minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #22
slimoli

I don't get it. How can a cablecard firmware be upgraded if the cablecard slot on the S3 or on any TV is a READER only? How can the card be reprogrammed without a cablecard writer? Maybe that's the reason why if we get the msg "cablecard firmware upgrade from cable operator" there is nothing else we can do and it must be replaced.

BTW, Just got the msg again, waited for more than 3 hours and gave up. I installed the same CC on my Panasonic plasma and immediately got the upgrade msg as well. It seems that once the msg comes up the card needs to go back to SA or the cableco. My cableco doesn't know anything about this and have no clue on why this msg is being sent. They also can't do anything with the CC but return them to SA.

This is going to be a nightmare if it is spread .

Sergio
Old 09-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #23
Bodshal
Penguin-tastic!

The card is an independent device, with it's own processing unit. It listens to the OOB digital data in the RF signal. Sometimes, there's new firmware in it. So it downloads it (one of the screen talks about "blocks left to download" or somesuch). If it gets it all, it upgrades. If it doesn't, then as some people have seen, it can sit in limbo. Or if the flash in the thing is fubar, it locks up. Or something.

The headend just sends the a image in a loop probably. With no confirmation it arrives safely. What should probably happen is installers should upload any new firmware before they leave the depot, just in case the card needs it and turns out to be duff.

Chris.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #24
slimoli

Chris

Thanks for the clarification. How long should this upgrade take? I have been waiting for 2 hours and nothing. I have 2 tvs with cablecard slots and just one CC. I am trying the 2nd TV now to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again

Sergio
Old 09-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #25
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Ok. I have a question about these upgrades. What happens if the TiVo is recording when this upgrade is applied?
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #26
Bodshal
Penguin-tastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli
Chris

Thanks for the clarification. How long should this upgrade take? I have been waiting for 2 hours and nothing. I have 2 tvs with cablecard slots and just one CC. I am trying the 2nd TV now to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks again

Sergio
I've never witnessed it, but from what I've read (on this forum) it should be minutes. Like maybe 10 or so.

If it's hours then you may have a problem, and I'm not gifted enough to offer advice on that, sorry.

Chris.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #27
NickIN

This happened to me when Brighthouse came to install the cards. The guy said it would take 20-30 minutes and instead of waiting he went out to his truck and brought back a stack of cards and changed them out until he found 2 that didn't need firmware upgrades.
NickIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #28
slimoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickIN
This happened to me when Brighthouse came to install the cards. The guy said it would take 20-30 minutes and instead of waiting he went out to his truck and brought back a stack of cards and changed them out until he found 2 that didn't need firmware upgrades.
Yep, after I had the "firmware upgrade" msg the first time the cableguy also gave me one CC that didn't require upgrade, immediately. After 20 days without any problem, I got the msg again. My guess is that this "upgrade request is sent from time to time but when it hits you it's like a plague. I got hit today again and on Monday a new CC will be installed. Obviously I am not confident that the new CC will last for a long time since I had them replaced 6 times this year.

Sergio
Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 PM   #29
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace
Ok. I have a question about these upgrades. What happens if the TiVo is recording when this upgrade is applied?
Recordings will be cancelled as the CableCARD is grabbing the tuner, and moving it away from the video channel.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #30
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickIN
Ah - now we have another explanation about how all the cards are getting wedged. These cards aren't that robust if the firmware upgrade doesn't go as planned (and yanking a card out in the middle of a firmware upgrade is not "as planned").