TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2008, 09:16 AM   #901
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I'm not sure then. I guess it's possible if they are letting subscribers pick up the cable cards that the info is already there. But it still needs to be tied to your account or did they do that when you picked up the card? Since this is a Charter install thread I'm not sure it would relate to you since you are with Comcast. It would be nice if they allowed you to pick up the cards but from experience and reading about installs on here, the success rate on working cards is not that great. Chances are you'd have to keep going back to get more cards.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #902
t325

Called Charter about the Cable Cards today....the guy on the phone seemed to know what he was talking about, although he told me they only have the single stream cards. I made the appointment, and that's the part I'm worried about. I don't think I've ever had a service appointment with Charter go 100% smoothly and I don't expect any different. Lets see how they'll screw it up. They're supposed to come out on Wednesday between 3-5 PM, so I'm sure sometime in February I'll be able to report back that the cable cards are working.
t325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:06 AM   #903
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Be prepared to have them come out more than once. It's just one of those things where something can easily go wrong. DO NOT let him leave until all your channels are working. DO NOT let him tell you it takes an hour for some of the channels to show up. If you let him leave and you are not getting ALL of your channels you may as well call them back up and schedule another appointment. You do not need to run Guided Setup, you can test the channels from the cablecard settings screen. Good Luck!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #904
t325

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Be prepared to have them come out more than once. It's just one of those things where something can easily go wrong. DO NOT let him leave until all your channels are working. DO NOT let him tell you it takes an hour for some of the channels to show up. If you let him leave and you are not getting ALL of your channels you may as well call them back up and schedule another appointment. You do not need to run Guided Setup, you can test the channels from the cablecard settings screen. Good Luck!
I'll keep that in mind. So basically, all of the standard tier, digital tier, and the premiums I subscribe to (HBO, Cinemax and Starz) should all be there immediately?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:59 AM   #905
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by t325 View Post
I'll keep that in mind. So basically, all of the standard tier, digital tier, and the premiums I subscribe to (HBO, Cinemax and Starz) should all be there immediately?
If the cablecards are paired properly you should have all of your channels within a few minutes. After he's installed the cards find the test channels in the cablecard option screen. Then make sure you test all your HD channels, especially the movie channels. I personally feel like they give you the "it can take up to an hour for the channels to come through" speech because they know the problems with cablecard installs and do not want to have to stay there until the problem is fixed. Then when you realize the channels are not going to come in they are off the hook and you have to reschedule for another tech to come out. Hopefully the tech will bring some extra cards. You might want to confirm that the tech will have two S-Cards. There is a great lack of communication between dispatch and the techs. The first time they showed up at my place he only had one S-Card. I told him it was for a Tivo HD and that I needed two. So he came back the next day with only two cards. Well one of them did not work. So he had to come back again the next day and brought five cards with him. We went through two more that did not work but eventually got two that did work. He never could get an M-Card working so I settled for two S-Cards.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #906
Geemer

My Series 3 began reporting that it was trying to update the firmware on CableCard2 a couple of days ago. It would bring up that message for almost exactly 1 hour, then it would show me live TV for 1 minute, then it would bring the message back. We are using Charter Cable in Fort Worth, Texas. This Series 3 has been installed and operating with these same cable cards since December 2006.

So I did lots of forum reading, but didn't find any specific references that sounded like this specific problem. I did a bit of basic troubleshooting on my own. During the 1 minute each hour where it no longer showed the message and all things appeared normal, I would try different things. I tried restarting TiVo, I tried turning off all of the other cable devices in the house and restarting TiVo, no difference.

Ultimately I found that if I powered down TiVo and removed Cable Card 2, that when TiVo restarted it worked just fine, with the exception that it only had one card now. So I suppose that somehow Cable Card 2 went bad.

I have a service call scheduled for Monday. They are supposed to replace CC2.

Anyone seen anything like this before? A firmware update loop?
Geemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #907
Geemer

The rest of the story...

So the cable guy showed up with no cable cards and wanted to test the card that I had pulled from the TiVo, but said he had to visit another customer down the street. He left for about 40 minutes or so, and returned with a cable card. My guess is he had not dealt with a cable card before so he showed up, looked the situation over, and then left to talk to a supervisor or more experienced tech.

He re-tested the card I had pulled, and concluded that it was in fact bad. Then he put in the replacement card, called in to activate it, and bada-bing, everything is working again.

All in all not a bad experience with the Charter cable tech, and we are back in dual tuner TiVo heaven.
Geemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #908
shrike4242

Well, after some wrangling with Charter over the phone, they're coming out to install the two CableCards in my new S3. Won't be for a couple of weeks, though I did have them put in the notes to bring extra spares with them, as well as request Motorola M-cards, as they seem to have much better luck than the SA cards.

I ran into issues with the install of the single M-card on my Tivo HD, though that was because they had my programming on the back end completely screwed up. All of my HD channels were screwy, as were a number of my SD channels in the premium range. This also affected the Tivos I had with digital cable boxes on them. Took a while to get it all fixed, so hopefully, I won't go into this mess a second time.

Is there anything I should look out for after they've been installed? I know running through Guided Setup isn't needed, though seemed like a good idea when I had the issues with the Tivo HD. I'm in the Saint Louis, MO area, if that makes any difference.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #909
GreenMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Is this a new TiVo? What version is it running? Is it connected via HDMI?
Yeah, it was new.

I noticed it was running old firmware (8 something). So I gave it a day and the next morning I rebooted it, and it started installing the 9.3 update.

Been very stable ever since.

I'm running it via component video / optical out since the HDMI inputs on my Onkyo 605 are being used by my HD-DVD player (XA2) and PS3.

I had some troubles a few days later with pixelation and channel dropouts. Turned out after a few phone calls it was an outage in my area. Problems pretty much cleared up after the outage ended a few days later.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #910
t325

My experience with Charter in St. Louis: The tech comes, and in about 30 minutes, he's done installing 2 Scards (no Mcards unfortunately). Before he leaves, I test a couple channels and they work, so I thought everything was fine. I knew that was too good to be true. Later, I try to tune to some of the channels in the HD tier which we have, and get a black screen. I call Charter, wait on hold for about 30 minutes, only for the person there to tell me that the cards were not programmed with the HD tier, and they cannot program them remotely. She sets up a truck roll for next week to have new cards brought out. I ask her "So everytime I add a tier, or everytime you guys add new channels to the lineup, I need to get new cards?" and she tells me that yes, that is the case.

I knew this was a load of BS, so I called TiVo's CC tech support who confirmed that it is indeed a load of BS. I called Charter back and talked with another guy. While I'm on hold with him, I tune to one of the channels I wasn't getting before, and lo and behold, it's working. I try all the HD channels and they do work. So when he gets back on the line, I tell him I don't know what happened, but they're working, and to cancel the truck roll.

While watching The Departed in all its HD and 5.1 glory, I get a call back from the first person at Charter who I spoke with, and she's like "Ummm, yeah, I brought this issue up with my supervisor and it turns out I was wrong. We can reprogram the cards remotely, try viewing one of the HD channels and see if it works." I tell her it does, and that's that.

Later, I switched it to one of the SD digital tier channels, and am greeted by that lovely black screen. At that point, I was just sick and tired of dealing with those morons, so I will call them tomorrow to get it sorted out.

At least I was able to get the $30 installation fee reversed.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #911
shrike4242

t325, that was the same issue I had with the MCard install on my Tivo HD, and it was a previous issue with the way they had my channels set up on my account. I also ended up getting the $30 reversed, mainly because of the same issues, nothing worked 100%.

This time around with my S3, I'm running through Guided setup and checking every single 100+ number channel before they get to leave. If all the channels come up, then I'll be OK with it being done.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #912
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
This time around with my S3, I'm running through Guided setup and checking every single 100+ number channel before they get to leave. If all the channels come up, then I'll be OK with it being done.
This is why most techs will leave before they verify the cards. DO NOT RUN GUIDED SETUP while the installer is there. It has nothing to do with the cards working or not. You can use the test channels feature to verify the channels on both cards. In fact, if you use live tv to verify the cards, it is very hard to verify both cards since it always uses the same cablecard unless both are on encrypted channels. Once the tech leaves, then run guided setup. Making the installer wait 30 minutes to download guide data is a sure way to get them to not verify the cards correctly.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:49 PM   #913
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
This is why most techs will leave before they verify the cards. DO NOT RUN GUIDED SETUP while the installer is there. It has nothing to do with the cards working or not. You can use the test channels feature to verify the channels on both cards. In fact, if you use live tv to verify the cards, it is very hard to verify both cards since it always uses the same cablecard unless both are on encrypted channels. Once the tech leaves, then run guided setup. Making the installer wait 30 minutes to download guide data is a sure way to get them to not verify the cards correctly.
I did test some random channels and the ones I tested worked. When I went to other channels after the tech had left, a number of them weren't working, at least 50% of them, when I went through all the digital channels.

Which is why I'm hoping this to not be an issue the second time around, as they swore up and down backwards and forwards that it shouldn't be an issue in the future.

Then again, if they just let me have the CableCards without needing a tech, then that wouldn't have them sending out one of their techs to put cards in my Tivo and call them in on the phone.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:42 AM   #914
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
I did test some random channels and the ones I tested worked. When I went to other channels after the tech had left, a number of them weren't working, at least 50% of them, when I went through all the digital channels.
That right there was your problem. You really need to test ALL channels before the tech leaves. It does not take long to flip through all of your channels using the test channels function. Don't expect the tech to stay there for you to run and complete guided setup. I certainly wouldnt if it was me. It would be different if it was a necessity, but it isn't.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #915
shrike4242

Well, my install happened on Saturday without any issues. Both cable cards were installed and paired up, so it looks like they're working OK.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #916
GlenH100

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
I bet your next months bill will have the charge for the cable card. It took mine almost two months to show up depending on the date you had it installed and when the bill rolled out. As far as I know Charters charges the same amount across the country of $2 per cable card.
This month, I received a "Residential Products & Services Price List" attached to my bill. I believe that I finally understand what the "HD Equipment Upgrade" item is.

To recap, here's the cable portion of my bill:
Code:
Digital Home          40.99
HD Equipment Upgrade   5.00
HD Tier                8.00
Digital Home is supposed to include a cable box, and has a list price of $43.99. Cable box rental is listed as $5/mo, and CableCARD rental as $2/mo, so the $40.99 price is for Digital Home with a CableCARD. So far, so good.

There is an item listed under "Other Services" that appears to match, more or less, the "HD Equipment Uprgrade" charge. It is listed as "Interactive Guide Services**". "**Per digital receiver, provides access to full functionality of the electronic program guide - required to receive program information, perform efficient channel surfing, parental controls and ordering PPV & VOD." A closer look at the description of "Digital Home" indicates that "Interactive Guide Services" is included, so I'm back where I started.

Of course, I don't get most of those features because I'm not using their cable box. I may have to take this up with my franchising authority.
GlenH100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:11 AM   #917
norcoast

CableCard screen keeps popping up

I picked up a series 3 Tivo in April and had Charter (Crescent City) set up the cable cards. The service tech was great and worked through the process even though he had never set one up. We had the newest cards on the market at the time. Everything has been working wonderfully until a week ago. At random times the service screen for cablecard 2 pops up and advises me that the screen is being displayed for the cable provider. Looking at the screen it looks like the one the tech used to set the cards up. I noticed that there is nothing showing for the eCM Mac address and no way to edit the screen. It also says "refresh" under the "Hosts reports 1-way RF only". I can only clear the screen by pushing clear on my tivo controller. Then the TV goes back to what I was watching. This seems to happen daily.
Is there something I can do to correct this or do I need to call Charter or Tivo?
norcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #918
thilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcoast View Post
I picked up a series 3 Tivo in April and had Charter (Crescent City) set up the cable cards. The service tech was great and worked through the process even though he had never set one up. We had the newest cards on the market at the time. Everything has been working wonderfully until a week ago. At random times the service screen for cablecard 2 pops up and advises me that the screen is being displayed for the cable provider. Looking at the screen it looks like the one the tech used to set the cards up. I noticed that there is nothing showing for the eCM Mac address and no way to edit the screen. It also says "refresh" under the "Hosts reports 1-way RF only". I can only clear the screen by pushing clear on my tivo controller. Then the TV goes back to what I was watching. This seems to happen daily.
Is there something I can do to correct this or do I need to call Charter or Tivo?
I'm with Charter in St. Louis. I get the same screen but it's not random. It pops up every time I turn to channel 104. (sometimes it says CableCard 1 and sometimes CableCard2 depending on which one is being accessed at the time) I'm on my third set of cable cards in the last three weeks, all with the same issue. Charter says there is nothing else they can do, it's a TIVO problem. TIVO says it's a Charter problem. Luckily it's a channel I don't watch much but it's still frustrating? Any ideas? (I've already tried kickstart 57, 58 and 52 in desperation)
thilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #919
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thilt View Post
I'm with Charter in St. Louis. I get the same screen but it's not random. It pops up every time I turn to channel 104. (sometimes it says CableCard 1 and sometimes CableCard2 depending on which one is being accessed at the time) I'm on my third set of cable cards in the last three weeks, all with the same issue. Charter says there is nothing else they can do, it's a TIVO problem. TIVO says it's a Charter problem. Luckily it's a channel I don't watch much but it's still frustrating? Any ideas? (I've already tried kickstart 57, 58 and 52 in desperation)
Tivo wins on this one... If this screen pops up when tuning to a channel it means the card isn't paired, and you're trying to watch a copy protected channel. Only your cable company can fix this one.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #920
norcoast

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcoast View Post
I called Charter on Sunday afternoon after having the same screen pop up again in the middle of the Indy car race. I spoke with a tech and they sent a signal to my troubled card to refresh it. The entire call took about 15 minutes. So far the screen hasn't popped back up. I know next time just to tell them the cable card needs to be refreshed. Oh, after fixing the problem they tried to get me to "upgrade" to a charter DVR. No thanks, I have my Tivo.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #921
bdconn

Fort Worth Tivo HD Vs. Charter Cable

My wife was fedup with our Charter HD DVR and wanted to go back to Tivo, So, being a good husband i went down to Best Buy and got a Tivo HD on Saturday July 26. The tivo setup was a dream and went without a hitch.

Then i called the Fort Worth office of Charter Cable to get the Cablecards installed. Now here is where i become puzzled, Charter would not let me come down to pickup the cards because a Tech HAD to install them. I say OK and setup an appt. for Monday. The rep that made the appt. assured me that the tech coming out would be a Charter employee and not a contractor, and that he would be trained in the installation of CableCards, and he would be bringing several cards. Well, guess what showed up Monday. A contractor with no knowledge of cablecards much less any experience, and he only had one card. I had to walk him thru how to install a cablecard in a Tivo. Now if the cablecards can only be installed by a tech why do they send out techs that do not know how to install them? Now once we had the card in the tivo, it immediately went into the firmware updating phase, and did that for about an hour before saying firmware update failed.

The tech talked to his office and I talked to Tivo cablecard support. The Techs office started by saying that the firmware update came from Tivo and if it failed it was a bad Tivo. I showed him that the firmware of the Cablecard had to come from the cable company, which he finally excepted. Then his office told him to just leave the card and it might start working in a few hours. Again i told him if it ain't working now it isn't going to. I told the Tech that it was a bad cablecard, and his response was " OK, do you want me to leave it or take it with me?" I was truly astonished, I told him " What use is a bad cablecard that doesn't work to me?" I made him take it with him.

I now have made another appt. for this coming Wednesday. But really, these Charter people seem clueless about cableards. And I am anticipating a long fight with them to get one working card.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this process easier?
bdconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #922
norcoast

Cable cards & techs

Every Charter tech I talk with tells me that the cable cards are new to them and they have very little if any experience with them.
Make sure they bring the Motorola cards, they are the newest ones Charter carries. Also make sure they get the ID numbers of each card correct and what slot each card is in.
I was having a few minor problems after installation and it ends up the original Charter Tech gave his service center the wrong slots and numbers. Once that was straightened out by a different tech everything has worked well. and they didn't charge me for the second visit.
It helped that the worker at the service center was the most experienced one with cable cards.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #923
bdconn

Smile

I thought it only fair to report back about a success with Charter, finally. When I setup my second appointment to install a cablecard, i told them I wanted a supervisor or a manager, and I wanted them to bring at least two cards. They actually did it. They sent out Brian, a supervisor, and he brought 3 cards. He had never installed one in a Tivo before, but, he was receptive to my help. I copied down all the numbers for him and he called them into the office. Within a minute I had all the channels I'm paying for, Basic, Premium, and HD. Brian was there less than 15 minutes, and he left a happy customer.

Now mt only problem is this, Since Charter cable says cablecards must be installed by a tech, and I had to walk both of their techs thru installing a cablecard. I'm thinking I need to bill Charter Cable for Technical services so the two nice techs who were at my house will not get in trouble for not following the rule about only techs installing the cards.
bdconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #924
supie

Do the Cable Cards Need the Tivo Serial Number Programmed in the Cards?

Hi,

I have Three Series 3 Tivos, when I installed the first two about a year ago and 6 months ago, no problems setting up the cable cards ... it was very smooth.

Not so with number three Series 3, I have had Charter out twice now, the first time they did not have the M cards Activated. The second time, New Scientific Atlanta M cards were installed and were Authorized and Paired and they work, but with problems I am only getting the BASIC CHANNELS and ONLY the BROADCAST HD CHANNELS. Only Channels 2-99 and 781-788 work.

I am subscribed to (but not getting) all the Premium (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Encore, etc) Movie View, and HD View (all the rest of HD Channels).

On the bad channels, I see the Channel info but not the show, the screen is black.

When I am on a non-funcitiong channel, On the Cable Card CA Screen it shows:
"Status Not Staged" where on my other (working) Tivo it shows "Status Ready"
Also on page 3, Line 2 it shows "N/A-5-Ent-0-0-0" where on my other Tivo it shows "N/A-4-Ent-3106-2-99"

On the Cable Card CP Info Screen it shows:
"Auth Status:CP Auth Received"
"VerifyKey Status:OK"
Same as on my other Tivo.

I was told on the phone by Charter (a so called Tivo Expert) that the problem is the cable cards need the following:

1. The cards have to be set up at the cable companies Head End with the TIVO SERIAL NUMBER.
2. The M cards need to say Tivo on the card. (I am assuming that once the set them up with the Tivo Serial Number they write "Tivo" on the cards)

I know Charter did not ask me for the serial number on my first two Tivo’s, but the Tech said that he thought this was a new requirement in recent months.

SO MY QUESTIONS ARE:
1. Is this true that Tivo Serial Number has to be set up at the head end?
2. Would the cards not being setup with the Tivo Serial Number’s cause the cards to receive some channels but not others?
3. Any other thoughts on why I would get some channels but not others?
4. On the Cable Card CA Screen it shows: "Status Not Staged" does Status Not Staged tell us anything?

Thanks
Tivo S3 – 1.25TB – Lifetime
Tivo Desktop – 4TB
Tivo iPad App x2
RIP TiVo S3 x2
RIP Replay TV x 4

Last edited by supie : 08-13-2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Clarification & Spelling
supie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #925
jrm01

supie,

As I posted on your tivo.com post:

There are no such things such as TiVo Cablecards, nor is there anything in the authorization process that would require the TiVo serial number. It does, however, usually require the cablecard serial number, and the Host Number, which is an internally generated number which identifies the TiVo.

However, it is possible (although I've never heard of it) that your local Charter office has tested a batch of cablecards on TiVos and have manually written TiVo on it just to make their life easier. It's also possible that they are recording the TiVo Serial number in their system (I have no idea why) for some control purpose. The lack of it however would not hinder the cablecard authorization process.

It still appears that the cards were not properly authorized/paired. There are several other posters on this thread who were told that the "Not Staged" message meant that the cards were not properly initialized in the office before they were released to the field. That may be your problem.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #926
supie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
supie,

As I posted on your tivo.com post:

It still appears that the cards were not properly authorized/paired. There are several other posters on this thread who were told that the "Not Staged" message meant that the cards were not properly initialized in the office before they were released to the field. That may be your problem.

Thanks again for you prompt response.

I am waiting today, for a call from Charter to come out with the new cards, which should be initialized at the Charter Head End Office.

I have read many other threads about “Not Staged” and the common theme seems to be, in the CA Screen, in addition to the Status “Not Staged” which needs to be “Ready”, that IF the last line in the first page is EMMs Processed: 0 it should be a number NOT ZERO such as EMMs Processed: 34. Here is what mine shows:

CA Screen (Incorrect Settings)
-----
CA Time-Waiting For Update...
Time GBAM: 0
App GBAM: 0
EMMs Processed: Processed: 0

CA Screen (Correct Settings from another Tivo)
-----
CA Time-August 13, 2008 – 4:45AM GMT
Time GBAM: 62195
App GBAM: 76239
EMMs Processed: 38

Question 1. What can I tell the Charter Techs at their office to do to send the proper signals or EMMs? If I understand it correctly, that they have to hit the cable cards at least twice?

1.Once the Serial and Host ID Numbers are entered, and the cards are paired, at the Charter office, a host validation hit needs to be sent to each card.
2. Then follow up with an EMM hit. (this loads the SA - EMM .tar file for that card and loads it into the DNCS)

Question 2. What are the steps to get to this diagnostics screen?

Jrm01 posted on Tivo.com Forum:
With the card installed you should go to the cablecard diagnostic screens and check some settings. Check the settings for the Conditional Access Screen for the cablecards. In particular look at 3 fields there:
Con:
Auth:
Val;
They should say: Con: Yes Auth: Subscribed Val: V

Thanks
Tivo Desktop – 4TB
Tivo iPad App x2
RIP TiVo S3 x2
RIP Replay TV x 4
Old 08-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #927
jrm01

Forget the Conditional Access screen info that I posted. that was before I knew you had SA cards. The key for them is exactly what you have found: the EMM count. From TiVo webpage:

Quote:
The purpose of CableCARDs is to decrypt the channels that you have paid the cable provider to receive, and to decode copy protection on these channels, if present. After a card is inserted into the DVR, the installer (or you, if your cable provider allows self-installs) calls the dispatch number and provides the information the dispatcher requests. The dispatcher then sends one or more activation signals, sometimes known as “hitting the cards”. The hits send a series of EMMs (entitlement management messages) that give the CableCARDs the ability to display the channels to which you subscribed.
You will not be getting any premium channels with an EMM count of 0. It may not always be 34 (depends on the package you have), but it will be close.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #928
supie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supie View Post
I have read many other threads about “Not Staged” and the common theme seems to be, in the CA Screen, in addition to the Status “Not Staged” which needs to be “Ready”, that IF the last line in the first page is EMMs Processed: 0 it should be a number NOT ZERO such as EMMs Processed: 34. Here is what mine shows:

CA Screen (Incorrect Settings)
-----
CA Time-Waiting For Update...
Time GBAM: 0
App GBAM: 0
EMMs Processed: Processed: 0

CA Screen (Correct Settings from another Tivo)
-----
CA Time-August 13, 2008 – 4:45AM GMT
Time GBAM: 62195
App GBAM: 76239
EMMs Processed: 38
After doing nothing for the past two days, now CHARTER'S LOCAL OFFICE IS TELLING ME that the cards NEED SPECIAL PROGRAMMING and they have to send them to another office to download the special programming on the cards and it will be another 5 DAYS BEFORE THEY CAN COME TO INSTALL THEM.

When I got my first two S3 Tivo's set up they did not even know they were coming to install them in a Tivo and they worked fine.

Question 1. So do the cards need special programming before they install them other than what they do to stage or initialize all cable cards?

Question 2.Once the installer comes to install the cards, what can I tell the Charter Techs, at their office, to do to send the proper signals or EMMs?

If I understand it correctly, once the Serial and Host ID Numbers are entered, and the cards are paired,that they have to hit the each cable card at least twice?
1. Once to do a host validation.
2. Then follow up with an EMM hit. (this loads the SA - EMM .tar file for that card and loads it into the DNCS)

Question 3. Does this sound right?

Thanks in advance.
Tivo Desktop – 4TB
Tivo iPad App x2
RIP TiVo S3 x2
RIP Replay TV x 4

Last edited by supie : 08-15-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #929
jrm01

Question 1: I have never heard of any special programming that is required. However, your local office may have determined that the cards need to have a certain firmware level in order to work with tivo. That is usually something that they can do in their office (update the firmware), in fact it can usually be done in the field. But who knows?

Question 2: Usually there are two "hits" that are required, and everyone seems to have a different name for them. The first is to pair the card to the host device. This may be called Validation, Pairing, etc. The second is to authorize the card for the encrypted channels that it is allowed to decrypt. This may be called Authorization, etc. The key though is that the second (or last) hit for these cards is only successful if you see the EMM count being incremented. In fact if you look at the diagnostic screen while this is going on you can see the number be incremented (you may have to refresh the screen. If this is not incrementing, the authorization is not working. The cause for failure can be many things, including improper pairing during the first hit.

When they are doing the first hit make sure they are not botching the numbers (easily transposed) for card serial number, host-id and data number.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #930
jrm01

supie,

Tivo just published a new document (best one I've seen) that summarizes the info on all the cablecard diagnostic screens. I haven't reviewed all of it yet, but take a look at the links for the SA m-card and see if anything stands out.

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...I_screens.html