TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #871
beauford1313

My provider is Charter and I'm in Dalton, GA. North of Atlanta. Not a huge place, but by no means a small place either. I haven't actually purchased an HD Tivo yet. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row and see if I'll actually be able to use it if I get it.
beauford1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #872
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauford1313 View Post
My provider is Charter and I'm in Dalton, GA. North of Atlanta. Not a huge place, but by no means a small place either. I haven't actually purchased an HD Tivo yet. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row and see if I'll actually be able to use it if I get it.
I live in GA as well. As far as I know, Charter is required to offer you cable cards. Maybe someone here can point you to the FCC mandate that says cable operators must supply cable cards unless they have a waiver which Charter would most likely not fall into. Then atleast you can arm yourself with the info before calling and talking with someone.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #873
beauford1313

After reading some of the stories on here I am fully expecting this to be a hassle. I can't believe that I am actually going to have to explain to Charter that they are required by law to provide me with this service.
beauford1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #874
SpiritualPoet

Curiously, must a Series 3 TiVo have the cable cards installed in order for the machine to record basic or extended basic channels? (Or are those cards for the purpose of recording from "premium", i.e. scrambled and/or HDTV channels?)
SpiritualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:10 AM   #875
GlenH100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualPoet View Post
Curiously, must a Series 3 TiVo have the cable cards installed in order for the machine to record basic or extended basic channels? (Or are those cards for the purpose of recording from "premium", i.e. scrambled and/or HDTV channels?)
CableCARDs are required in order to record any digital channels, even the ones sent in the clear. In addition to its encryption function, the CableCARD provides access to the channel map, which relates QAM sub-channels to the published channel numbers. The TiVo can tune them, but there isn't any guide data for the raw QAM streams.
GlenH100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #876
gbshuler@yahoo.c
Clave Man

Special Customer Service "TiVo CableCARD Issues Phone Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauford1313 View Post
I was just told by a customer service rep that cablecards are not available in my area. Is that possible?
Don't know if it is true, but this number is reportedly a special TiVo customer service line to help you negotiate "push back" from cable providers.
866-986-8486. Let us know if you learn anything. I plan on getting Charter digital cable with 4 CableCARD's this weekend.

Last edited by gbshuler@yahoo.c : 04-01-2008 at 12:25 PM.
gbshuler@yahoo.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #877
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenH100 View Post
CableCARDs are required in order to record any digital channels, even the ones sent in the clear. In addition to its encryption function, the CableCARD provides access to the channel map, which relates QAM sub-channels to the published channel numbers. The TiVo can tune them, but there isn't any guide data for the raw QAM streams.
To be clear:

1) CableCards are not required to receive in the clear QAM channels. You can receive those just fine without CableCards with a TiVo HD/S3. However, the CableCards provide the channel maps, so without them you will not get guide data for digital cable channels.
2) CableCards are not required to receive OTA digital channels. These work just fine without cablecards and you get associated guide data normally.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #878
stephie314

Ok Tivo People,
I've just finished the Charter cable card vs Tivo nightmare. This is what I've learned. On the Tivo Series 3 HD, you MUST insist that they bring you the MULTISTREAM CABLE CARD!!!! They will tell you on the phone that it doesn't exist. It does. All my problems are now solved. Series 3 will not work properly with single-stream cable cards. Those single stream cards are also old!!! So that's what I know from the past 3 weeks of dealing with charter. I hope it helps those of you with charter and are upgrading to HD
stephie314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #879
GlenH100

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephie314 View Post
Ok Tivo People,
I've just finished the Charter cable card vs Tivo nightmare. This is what I've learned. On the Tivo Series 3 HD, you MUST insist that they bring you the MULTISTREAM CABLE CARD!!!! They will tell you on the phone that it doesn't exist. It does. All my problems are now solved. Series 3 will not work properly with single-stream cable cards. Those single stream cards are also old!!! So that's what I know from the past 3 weeks of dealing with charter. I hope it helps those of you with charter and are upgrading to HD
That is not true. Both the S3 and the HD TiVo work just fine with single stream CableCARDs, aka S-cards. They are older, and require one for each tuner, while a single M-card will suffice on the HD. (I'm not sure whether the S3 running the latest software release still requires two cards.)

The problem you experienced with getting the S-cards to work is more likely related to the problems I experienced with my first and third M-cards. That is, Charter didn't get the ".tar" file with the card's public key loaded into their head end. Without that, the card will never work, and most techs don't have enough CableCARD experience to know what to do when a card won't go from "Not Staged" to "Ready".

Last edited by GlenH100 : 04-01-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: clarified and corrected the ".tar" file info
Old 04-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #880
Talsin

Charter in ATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephie314 View Post
Ok Tivo People,
Stephie,

Resident of Mcdonough here, just south of ATL. We have a Tivo HD with two singles in it. Charter was an absolute disaster when we got it. We never had any trouble getting the cards but expect to spend the next three or so billing cycles getting your bill "fixed". We have had them for about 5 months now and both are working great.

Curt
Talsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #881
mrro82

I got my card installed on tuesday. I was expecting 2 S-cards but when he showed up he only had 1 M-card. Apparently the phone reps are behind in what they offer card wise. My installation went great. Got kind of worried after it got done loading and organizing the guide as nothing would appear on the screen. He made the tivo restart and when it came back up everything worked great. I have the series 3 Tivo HD DVR. What a huge improvement this box is compared to the crap I got from charter. Anyone know if a future upgrade will add a reminder feature? Other than that I am totally in love with my box. Can't believe I have gone this long without one. Next up I am going to buy the external hard HDD so I don't have to worry about space.
mrro82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #882
jenab

Good Lord! I am at my wits end. I called Charter today and told them to come get their junk.

When I first ordered HD from Charter, the guy comes out 8 hours late, puts in the hd box, takes my old box (I didn't have the TiVo box at the time) and never even hooks up the HD!! It was after 6pm and he just told me the channels were "downloading" and to wait an hour and I would have my HD.

That was a Friday. On Monday I called Charter and told them I did not have HD. When they couldn't fix it by "sending a signal to the box" they looked at my account and lo and behold, the first idiot had made an appointment for someone to come out and finish what he didn't finish!!! No one bothered to tell me.

So, anyway, The next guy comes out and was surprised that the guy had not finished the job. Oh btw, this guy was several hours late as well. So I get the same "channels are downloading" thing from him and he leaves.

Voila! I have HD. For about 3 days. The next thing I know I'm only getting the local channels.

The do what they do and by the next day I had them back.

Then my TiVo arrives & I order the Mcard. The guy comes out and sets things up. Hooray! He knows how to set it up with Tivo!!

I have HD. For about a week. I call again. Another guy comes out again. Says it's my cable coming into the house. Snips off the end of the cable and puts a new end on.

Once again, I have HD! For about 3 days. Now it is what they call "tiling" - all my HD channels are like colorful little squares in a patchwork on my tv screen.

I got my bill and I've been charged for all the f##k-ups they have done. They tell me "we don't give a $20 credit if the guy is late." "Well, we had to make that many service calls" I told the non-english speaking person on the phone that all of those service calls were made because of their screw-ups and I wasn't going to pay for them. She told me (I think) that I had to pay for them.

I told her "Come get your crap" What? "Come get your crap. I'm not dealing with you any longer. Cut off my service."

She turns me over to Customer Retention. I went through the above story with Mike and told him I wasn't going to pay for any of their nonsense and they can come get their stuff.

Mike grudgingly refunds me the charges and asks me to call back tonight when I am home and they will "go through some troubleshooting steps with me"

I'm guessing I'll get "We'll send a signal to your card. Are you getting the channels now?" crap. I've gone through that at least 5 times in the last week.

Okay. If you have managed to read this far, does anyone have any suggestions for me? I haven't called them yet. I'm just not ready to deal with the jerks.

Thanks for your time.
jenab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #883
madneon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrro82 View Post
I got my card installed on tuesday. I was expecting 2 S-cards but when he showed up he only had 1 M-card. Apparently the phone reps are behind in what they offer card wise. My installation went great. Got kind of worried after it got done loading and organizing the guide as nothing would appear on the screen. He made the tivo restart and when it came back up everything worked great. I have the series 3 Tivo HD DVR. What a huge improvement this box is compared to the crap I got from charter. Anyone know if a future upgrade will add a reminder feature? Other than that I am totally in love with my box. Can't believe I have gone this long without one. Next up I am going to buy the external hard HDD so I don't have to worry about space.
So just to set the record straight you have a S3 ( Not a THD) and you are running a single M-Card and have dual tuner functionality?? Just checkin...
madneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #884
mrro82

I have a Tivo HD and it is a series 3. At least the front of the tivo says it is and yes I am only using 1 M-card and have dual tuners.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #885
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrro82 View Post
I have a Tivo HD and it is a series 3. At least the front of the tivo says it is and yes I am only using 1 M-card and have dual tuners.
Yes, the TiVo HD is a Series3 but people here refer to the original series3 as a S3 and the Tivo HD as a Tivo HD We can thank TiVo for this confusing naming scheme.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 AM   #886
GadgetVirtuoso

We recently added a TiVo HD unit. I was hoping it wouldn't be the headache it was getting two working cards for the S3 we did last year. The tech showed up and the card of course didn't work. He didn't have any spare cards, how can a company send out installers with only 1 card???

The installer was told it would take a couple hours before the card would work. I knew better, if the card wasn't working by the time he left it wouldn't start later. Several hours later I called CS because the card wasn't working. They scheduled a service call. Service calls are a joke for cable cards. The tech of course didn't get the message it was a cable card, so of course showed up with no cards. 24 hours later they still didn't have any cards to install. They were now telling me there was some kind of problem with the cards. I was then told I would hear back when they had some, that was several weeks ago now. No one has ever called fortunately however the card mystically started working one night. No explanation as to why since the original card had been installed a week prior. I don't expect to ever hear from Charter.

Every tech I've had out either shows up without a cable card or had never installed one. I think only one manager I spoke with even know that TiVos could accept a cable card. I've had CS tell me that it was my equipment and tried to tell me they can't support it. Be prepared to argue and be frustrated with CS, the techs but most of all know that they are required to provide cable cards as these TiVos are CableLabs Certified.

The S3 does need 2 cards, even if they are the newer M-Cards while the TiVo HD can use a single M-Card. If the S3 doesn't have two cards it can only record digital channels on one tuner. The second tuner can record but only on the unencrypted channels.

As it stands right now I won't ever let Charter replace the cable cards unless they ever upgrade to the newest cards and TiVo starts supporting VOD and PPV. We never used VOD much since it rarely worked when we actually wanted to watch something. As for PPV its highway robbery imo so I locked it down when we had a digital cable box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Premier 4XL TiVo, TiVo Mini Apple TV, Roku in a Mac OS X Mountain Lion household.
GadgetVirtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #887
GlenH100

Matthew,
You probably had the same problem that I did; for a CableCARD to work correctly with a one-way device (UDCP - unidirectional digital cable product), the card's ".tar" file, which contains, among other things, the card's public key (think PGP), must be loaded into the cable system's head-end.

What probably happened is that the Charter head-end finally got the ".tar" file loaded into their system.

Two things must occur when a cable system warehouse receives a batch of CableCARDs, either directly from SA, or in the case of Charter from their central warehouse. This process is called "staging", and is somewhat different from the set-top box staging process that they are familiar with. (1) The serial numbers must be entered into the billing system (scan barcodes on packing list), and (2) the EMM ".tar" file(s) must be loaded into the DNCS (Digital Network Control System).

CableCARDs will not work until both steps have been completed. It appears that Charter falls down on step 2 a bit, leading to failed installs, unhappy customers, and frustrated installers. The only fix for a CableCARD that won't get past "Not staged" is for the installer to get in touch with the IT department serving his area and have the IT guy request the EMM .tar file for that card from SA and load it into his DNCS.

Another quirk when pairing the host to the CableCARD from the billing system (what customer service sees) is that they must follow a host validation hit with an EMM hit for anything to happen.

If the CableCARDs were properly staged, installation could be a simple customer self-install process. Just call in to CS, read off the numbers from the appropriate screen, CS sends the hits, everything works.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #888
GlenH100

Now we start resolving the billing issues. I already got them to credit about $20 for the time from the initial installation until they finally got it working (though my analog channels still go away about once a week).

There is a $5/month item on my bill called "HD Equipment Upgrade" that I don't understand. Has anyone seen this charge, and gotten a satisfactory response from Charter as to what it represents?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #889
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
There is a $5/month item on my bill called "HD Equipment Upgrade" that I don't understand. Has anyone seen this charge, and gotten a satisfactory response from Charter as to what it represents?

Do you still have an HD Reciever? I kept my HD Receiver so I could watch VOD or PPV. I was under the impression that the $5 was for it.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 AM   #890
GlenH100

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Do you still have an HD Reciever? I kept my HD Receiver so I could watch VOD or PPV. I was under the impression that the $5 was for it.
I never had an HD receiver. I went from expanded basic to HD with the HD Tier. I'm not being charged for a CableCARD, which is why I think that something is fishy.

What I get out of Charter is that the $5/mo is to get the HD signal on the wire, which makes no sense at all.

--Glen
Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 AM   #891
mrro82

With charter you can still access PPV movies and whatnot you just need to call in and have them authorize it. VOD is still a no-go.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #892
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
I never had an HD receiver. I went from expanded basic to HD with the HD Tier. I'm not being charged for a CableCARD, which is why I think that something is fishy.

What I get out of Charter is that the $5/mo is to get the HD signal on the wire, which makes no sense at all.

--Glen
I bet your next months bill will have the charge for the cable card. It took mine almost two months to show up depending on the date you had it installed and when the bill rolled out. As far as I know Charters charges the same amount across the country of $2 per cable card.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #893
karenmae1983

Before I had the cards installed on my Tivo, we had HD service and a cable box. I bought the tivo to put in my room and kept the box in the living room. I understand the two dollars a month for the card rental, but can anyone help me understand why they are billing me $29.99 a month for additional service?
karenmae1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #894
JJCalifornia

New Charter Cable Card Problem

I have a new problem with my Charter cable cards. When the TiVO works it is wonderful, but having to put up with absolutely terrible customer service from Charter once every 3-6 months is getting to be unbearable.

Everything works fine except, the cable HDTV channels.. local HDTV channels in Los Angeles work fine, but Discovery, ESPN, HBO and Showtime HD Channels get an error message and don't come in. This is a new one and has only been occurring recently, first to one cable card and now both.

When I call Charter about the problem, they say they will restart the card, but they don't seem to have any other answers and each call is 15 minutes to get to that answer.

Experience with having tech's, come out is that they will not touch the box and seem to never have any spare cards, if they do show up. Every third one is brilliant.

On a related note, Charter was the only thing that I could find that would work with the TiVO in Glendale, CA, not directTV or AT&T, does anyone know whether I have other choices now, or am I stuck with Charter?
JJCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #895
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJCalifornia View Post
When I call Charter about the problem, they say they will restart the card, but they don't seem to have any other answers and each call is 15 minutes to get to that answer.
When you call Charter, you need to have each CableCard serial # (written on the card), cablecard id, host id, and data id. I would have them re-enter it into the system and re-initialize each card. If they aren't re-entering their numbers, all they are doing is sending a refresh which isn't going to help if the cards aren't validated.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #896
GlenH100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJCalifornia View Post
Everything works fine except, the cable HDTV channels.. local HDTV channels in Los Angeles work fine, but Discovery, ESPN, HBO and Showtime HD Channels get an error message and don't come in. This is a new one and has only been occurring recently, first to one cable card and now both.
What is the error message? That should point to what needs to be done.

Note that you can send an EMM refresh yourself by choosing the option to "reset your cable box". This is the same thing that the CSRs will do once you finally get to them.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #897
GlenH100

I have a recurring problem that I don't know where to turn to fix. Every week or two, my analog channels go to black (gray). HD Lifeline and HD Tier are fine. This persists until I restart the TiVo HD unit.

I do not know whether this is a head-end configuration issue or a TiVo problem. Has anyone seen this before?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #898
GreenMonkey

Hey, newbie here.

I just switched over from Dish's vip622 to a Tivo HD with lifetime on it & Charter.

I'm running expanded basic cable only with a cable card - just for local HD channels.

I specifically mentioned to 2 different CSRs I wanted a multistream cablecard. The tech showed up today with 2 single stream cards...said that was all they had at the office. One of them was DOA (Tivo reported an error when it was plugged in). Got one single stream card working fine.

He called someone who said they would bring one to him...they drove out, came back an hour later with a multistream card. Switched over to that and it seems fine.

I did somehow hang the Tivo locals to a black screen (like the poster above) while playing around with the video settings a few times (maybe I hung the cable card?)...

Anyway, not too painful.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #899
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I did somehow hang the Tivo locals to a black screen (like the poster above) while playing around with the video settings a few times (maybe I hung the cable card?)...
Is this a new TiVo? What version is it running? Is it connected via HDMI?
Old 05-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #900
brettatk
If I Only Knew

If you didnt provide them with any information from the cable card screen then there is no way it would work. When the tech gets there the first thing he will do is call them up and give them information off that screen. Good luck.