TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #811
sylonious

Watch out for a channel called:
VODDM (It's channel 1 on my Charter)

It's a new channel that Tivo "detected".

It made my Tivo restart the instant I tried to view it.

It makes my Tivo restart (which takes 5 minutes) then once it comes back up it crashes again and again and again. You have to take both cards out and change the channel on the tuner in order to get it to work. Make sure you go into the channels list and de-select that channel.
sylonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #812
kolohe

Smile Charter Cablecard Success

After reading this thread, I expected a horror story dealing with Charter and Cablecards.

The only problem I had was with the first call to sales to order the cards. The first CSR asked my what I needed two cards for (as if they should care!!!), and when I said "TiVo", I was put on hold for 5 minutes and got hassled when she came back on the line. When I asked for a supervisor, I was transferred to a voice mailbox that was full.

Second CSR was much more helpful. He got everything on order quickly, and politely.

The tech who came out was a contractor. That had me a little worried. He admitted that he had never installed a CableCard, but he called his supervisor to find out what information he would need when he called it in. The tech had me press all the TiVo buttons while he was put on hold with Charter. We did NOT complete installing card 1 before moving on to card 2, because the tech didn't want to have to make a second phone call (and be on hold for another 20 minutes). Can't say I blame him. The second card came right up with all of the correct channels (premium and HD). The first card took 3 or 4 hits before it really woke up, but from what I overheard of the phone call, card 1 might not have been entered correctly into the system the first time.

All in all, it was very painless.
kolohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #813
Chapper1
Broncos Faithful

I had a bitch of a time getting my cards to work correctly. Tech came out on a Sat. and the cards he brought hadn't been properly scanned out on their end, so they wouldn't pair right.

He got new cards and brought them out on the following Friday. We eventually got one to work, but the second wouldn't initialize. Luckily, there is a guy on AVSForum who is a digital coordinator for Charter in my area. He gave me his cell #, I called him and gave him the numbers for the cards. He was able to get it working in the system without another tech call.

A long drawn out affair, but once they started working, all has been amazing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mario Kart Code: 1676-4068-2357
Chapper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:58 AM   #814
ethicalpaul

Cablecard install in Kalamazoo MI, part I

I thought I would share my story so far. I will have more info after tomorrow evening when the tech is supposed to arrive. My friend ordered for me the TivoHD w/lifetime gift pack and it arrived last week.

1. 2 days ago I called to order the CableCard. I asked specifically for a multi-stream card rather than two singles, but the drone claimed that "none of the big three cable companies have those cards yet".

2. I read this thread and learned the drone is wrong of course.

3. I called back today to explain 1 & 2 to them and to get them to bring a multistream card.

4. Today's drone #2, who must be saving his other 9 typing fingers for his next job (or maybe lost them in his previous job), didn't argue about the existence of multistream cards, but then again, did not fill me with confidence either when he said "OK I've made a note of your desire for a multistream card in the work order".

I said, "Do you think that will do it?" he replied, "errr....uhhhh....if a multistream card is available, the tech will bring it". Now there's a vote of confidence. Well 2 bucks is 2 bucks.

Finally, yeah 2 bucks per card they say despite this whole thread saying $1.50 per card. Did they raise it?

I'll write back after my appointment tomorrow with results.
ethicalpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #815
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicalpaul View Post
Finally, yeah 2 bucks per card they say despite this whole thread saying $1.50 per card. Did they raise it?
I received a letter from Charter saying they were going to raise a couple of things. I dont have it in front of me but the cards were definitely one of them going from $1.50 to $2.00 per card.

I had to have Charter come out 3 times. They eventually got everything working correctly so dont give up if they cant get it done the first time. DO NOT let them tell you that it might take an hour or so before all your channels come in. If done right you should have ALL you channels easily within 5 minutes. If they leave before they all come in then you'll be scheduling another appointment for the next day. Good luck!
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #816
BrettCB

Not sure if anyone can help with this issue but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to contact some government representatives, Tivo, etc.

Anyway, we have two S-Cards installed in our Tivo-HD and we are only receiving basic analog channels 1-99 along with the local HD Channels. We have had 5 techs out here all that have had no idea what they are doing. This includes both contractors and Charter employees. I've called and been on the phone for hours with the customer representatives and have encountered the same scenario on that end. This final tech basically told me that they were “aware” of the issue and there was nothing they could do. He basically said he would call his supervisor but it was pointless.

Needless to say, I just was hoping somewhere could give me some advice on what to do. The two Motorola cards both read Not_Subscribed on encrypted channels and I’m thinking there is no hope with getting this resolved. I would be going back to Dish Network right now if it weren’t for the fact that we are passed the time to return the Tivo HD. I’m mainly just disappointed. Once again, any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett
BrettCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #817
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettCB View Post
Not sure if anyone can help with this issue but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to contact some government representatives, Tivo, etc.

Anyway, we have two S-Cards installed in our Tivo-HD and we are only receiving basic analog channels 1-99 along with the local HD Channels. We have had 5 techs out here all that have had no idea what they are doing. This includes both contractors and Charter employees. I've called and been on the phone for hours with the customer representatives and have encountered the same scenario on that end. This final tech basically told me that they were “aware” of the issue and there was nothing they could do. He basically said he would call his supervisor but it was pointless.

Needless to say, I just was hoping somewhere could give me some advice on what to do. The two Motorola cards both read Not_Subscribed on encrypted channels and I’m thinking there is no hope with getting this resolved. I would be going back to Dish Network right now if it weren’t for the fact that we are passed the time to return the Tivo HD. I’m mainly just disappointed. Once again, any help or advice is appreciated.
Call the TiVo CableCard number. They will get on the line with Charter and should get it resolved for you. In most cases, it is simply a matter of authorizing the cards correctly over the phone.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #818
joe warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Call the TiVo CableCard number. They will get on the line with Charter and should get it resolved for you. In most cases, it is simply a matter of authorizing the cards correctly over the phone.
Do you have the TiVo CableCard number to call? Thanks for your help.
joe warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #819
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe warner View Post
Do you have the TiVo CableCard number to call? Thanks for your help.
(866) 986-8486
Old 01-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #820
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonious View Post

It's a new channel that Tivo "detected".

It made my Tivo restart the instant I tried to view it.

It makes my Tivo restart (which takes 5 minutes) then once it comes back up it crashes again and again and again. You have to take both cards out and change the channel on the tuner in order to get it to work. Make sure you go into the channels list and de-select that channel.
I did that to also 999 does that to.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #821
BrettCB

Followed the advice above and called the Tivo cable card number. Ended up doing a three-way call to Charter and still no luck. Instead I'm getting another Charter Tech to come to my house, that makes 6, and this one supposedly will have knowledge of cable cards and will be bringing multiple cards to test. I've also got a call back scheduled through Tivo so I can have someone talk to the tech and walk them through the installation. I'm still expecting doom & gloom, however, due to Charters complete ineptitude towards cable cards. They seriously haven't got a clue over there. Terrible company and I wouldn't be with them for a moment if it wasn't for the inability of the Tivo working with Satellite or the choice of another cable company.

Well, I guess I can only hope that all turns out well. If anyone has any other advice I am all ears. This nightmare can't end soon enough.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #822
Roark1138

I have followed this thread for more than a year...and I would call up Charter tomorrow and subscribe to premium services if all you guys didn't get this hassle -- seemingly with 95% of their installs. I just don't have the patience to deal with all the nonsense.

I'd rather pay one of you guys who knows what they are doing with this Charter install to come out and manage it.
Roark1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:29 AM   #823
kunikos
MOAR HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonious View Post
Ugh, yes, I had that exact same issue. Horrid thing. TiVo technical support told me it was a "defective CableCARD" but that was BS, it was actually TiVo barfing on that channel (why the **** the TiVo has no error handling other than to spontaneously crash-reboot is beyond me-- hello, ever hear of exception handling or quality assurance testing???? wtf, guys? amateurs much?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettCB View Post
Terrible company and I wouldn't be with them for a moment if it wasn't for the inability of the Tivo working with Satellite or the choice of another cable company.
Yes, lack of choice (hello monopoly man) makes them complacent. I noticed that once the popularity of cable modem became bigger, DSL technical support suddenly had a markedly improved level of knowledge (I have some seriously bone-headed people in the past and had to have help from SBC--now AT&T--forum member on BroadbandReports.com help me contact local tech tier 2-3 people).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolohe View Post
When I asked for a supervisor, I was transferred to a voice mailbox that was full.
Heh. Well, at least there was an explanation. I got "disconnected" (they hung up on me, I guess) three times during my phone calls to Charter. I hate them.

Last edited by kunikos : 01-20-2008 at 01:35 AM.
kunikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #824
kunikos
MOAR HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper1 View Post
Luckily, there is a guy on AVSForum who is a digital coordinator for Charter in my area. He gave me his cell #, I called him and gave him the numbers for the cards. He was able to get it working in the system without another tech call.
Must be nice to have help from someone who isn't less informed about what they're installing than you are.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:47 AM   #825
kunikos
MOAR HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
DO NOT let them tell you that it might take an hour or so before all your channels come in. If done right you should have ALL you channels easily within 5 minutes. If they leave before they all come in then you'll be scheduling another appointment for the next day. Good luck!
I think the Scientific American S-Cards are the only ones that can take a while for the data to "trickle in", but that's only second hand information that I *think* I read on the official TiVo CableCARD support page.

Otherwise, I think you are right on the money. Shady contractors and tech support people will try to ditch you ASAP and they will make up anything to do so to keep their numbers down.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #826
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark1138 View Post
I have followed this thread for more than a year...and I would call up Charter tomorrow and subscribe to premium services if all you guys didn't get this hassle -- seemingly with 95% of their installs. I just don't have the patience to deal with all the nonsense.

I'd rather pay one of you guys who knows what they are doing with this Charter install to come out and manage it.
I have had 3 cablecard installs and not a single issue. Just because people post there problems here doesn't mean everyone has issues.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #827
kunikos
MOAR HD

Quote:
I also tell him what the Charter Tech from the video repair department said about provisioning the card, he says he does not know what that means, but he will try to pair the card again. He calls a tech on the phone and he tires to pair the card again, the tech on the phone does not want to do it, but the tech in my house insists, now I am thinking great we might be getting somewhere, he also verifies the cable card serial number, host id, and data id with the tech on the phone, turns out the data id was wrong.
I wasn't aware they needed the Data ID, but I would note that the Data ID seems to change if you pull the cablecard out and put it back in.

Edit:

P.S. Don't bother with Live Chat support if you don't receive paper bills-- they refuse to help you after you've waited for 30min for them to talk to you if you don't have the PIN # from the paper bill.

P.P.S. If you call 1-888-438-2427 the automated troubleshooter has no idea what a CableCARD.

Last edited by kunikos : 01-20-2008 at 11:12 AM.
kunikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #828
pbrass

Charter CC fun

Just to add to the story: I've had my S3 up and running for over a year with the original 2 S-stream Scientific Atlantic cards installed. During this time, I've had only a couple of issues that were all resolved by either power cycling the TiVo or sitting through another Guided Setup. Total issues probably number less than 5 in all this time.

For the first time that I've seen, my TiVo encountered an issue last Tuesday morning where it became stuck in a loop attempting to upgrade the firmware on Card 1. The message indicated it would be done in 40 minutes so we left it alone. As we could still watch recorded shows, we didn't really care. However, once it was finished, it would drop you out of the recorded show into Live TV, work for less than 5 minutes and then try to upgrade the FW again.

Power cycling (in between upgrade attempts) didn't resolve the issue this time. A call to TiVo gave me the news that this is a common issue with these specific CC's. Pulling CC 1 out and redoing the Guided setup got us back up and running.

A painful call to Charter on Friday (we were able to get by with one CC) resulted in an appt for Sunday between 8-12. The tech showed up at 12:30. :-)

He showed up with one multi-stream card, had never seen an HD TiVo before, and was really confused as to why the CC wasn't going directly into the TV. That said, he was very nice and wasn't arrogant at all.

He got on the phone and tried to get in touch with the Head End in order to activate the new card. The guy manning the head end didn't get in until 2 pm, so my tech had to leave and come back.

The head end guy was insistent that the S3 would only work with the 1 m-stream card and that we should remove the 2nd (working) s-stream CC. It of course worked great in single tuner mode only.

Thank god for this site and its FAQ's. I eventually got them to try it with the m-stream CC in slot 1 and the working s-stream card in slot 2 where it had been. The channels all tested perfectly within 2 minutes and I let the tech go rather than making him wait through another Setup (which ran fine in the end).

Long story short, the bit of documentation/first hand knowledge the people at the Head End seemed to have related soley to the TiVo HD models and they were unaware that there was any other HD TiVo available. They were also conspicuously bitter about having to support something that they've never seen before (which is semi-understandable - it would make sense for the Cable companies to at least document some of this stuff or provide TiVo's CC hotline number to their techs as an official avenue of support).

All in all, I'm very happy I scheduled it for a Sunday so that I could be home (my wife is maybe more happy as she wouldn't have wanted to deal with this nonsense at all!). :-)
pbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #829
rsaly77

I'm having trouble with my series 3 and 2 M cards.
Both will rcv the local digital HD channels but none of the digital channels to which I'm subscribed. This is after 3 trips from the cable company - they say the tivo may be the problem.

Well being in the dark about cable cards, I searched until I found a PDF document on the SA website talking about deploying CCs.
From that document, SA says when the cable card is paired to the Host ID, the DNCS server will send out a validation(activation) hit. To check for the Validation hit sucess or failure, check the CA screen and EMMs processed should be greater than or equal to 33 - my 2 cards show zero. THe CC should also show authorization received but my CCs show waiting on authorization. What I'm seeing on my CCSs is the EMM error count is incrementing..... I do have somebody from Charter looking at this trouble, but I think they are going to say its a TIVO problem interfacing with the M cards and not running them in multi stream mode - all I hear is it only takes 1 M card not two.

Any ideas?

Rick
rsaly77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 AM   #830
BrettCB

Just thought I'd update my story as I had a major update today.

Anyway, I'd had around six Charter Techs out to the house and over four sets of cable cards installed in my Tivo HD. I was receiving all my analog stations but no premiums. I'd called Charter many, many, times and I'd even tried the online chat route. Nothing. Here is the crazy part... Today I'm sitting at home after work just watching some PTI on ESPN and all the sudden my screen goes blank, refreshes, goes blank again for a few minutes, and then comes back on. I thought that was a bit strange but a part of me thought Charter had done something on their end as it wasn't like a typical cable outage, it was as if the cable card refreshed itself like I mentioned earlier. Anyway, I flipped to HBO-HD and what do you know, it comes in... Along with all my other premium stations.

Crazy... I hassle Charter non-stop and when I said the hell with it and stopped trying to fix it over the weekend it magically starts working. My guess is all my calling and complaining finally got someone to look at the account and try to get this figured out. However, who really knows with these things... I'm just glad it's working. Good-Luck to everyone else getting an install or having trouble because believe me, I know what you can go through.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #831
FROD

Finally!!!!

I've been dying to tell my story so here you go...

I finally bought the TivoHD, thanks to Tivo for letting me transfer my Lifetime. Well, once I got the TivoHD, I set it up and called Charter Communications. I got a decent Customer Service Rep(CSR), she said she would set me up with a Multistream Card(M-Card). I was psyched. We set up a Saturday appointment. The tech came minutes before the close of the appointment window. I had to call to make sure he was still on the way. The tech arrived in a van that had a Charter magnetic sticker on it. Uh oh...I knew I was in trouble then. A contractor. ARGH!!!!

Anyways, the tech came in smelling like an ashtray, so bad my 10 year old daughter even said something. Well, I discussed the whole single stream/multi stream topic with him, from what I could understand, english was a second language for this fella, he never saw a multistream card in his life. He didn't even know they existed. He pulls out two S-Cards out of his pocket, one with with some smeg all over it. Unbelievable. So, I told him fine, "just throw in a single stream card for now, I'll call back customer service". The tech said he activated the card, but I was never able to watch the encrypted pay or digital channels. Every time I tried I would get a screen that said I had to call to get the device activated.

I called back CS and spoke to about six different people, many of which had absolutely no clue about the differences between the CableCards. One CSR left me hanging on the line for 20 minutes of dead air. Finally, I got a good CSR. She said she would send out a tech on Monday with an M-Card. I was hoping for the best.

Monday came and Charter called to verify that I would be home. I said yes, and then I followed up with "are you sending a contractor or an employee?". She replied that they were indeed sending an Charter employee. Half phew. Up pulls a REAL Charter van...with the vinyl stickers. No magnetic signs. Before the guy even stepped one foot on my driveway, I walked up to the van and asked him if he had an M-Card. He said yes. I welcomed him right in.

The Charter employee was GREAT. The guy knew the lingo and knew what he was doing. He slipped the card in and made a call to the Central Office(CO). He gave them the numbers and they punched the info in. In about 20 minutes or so, I had all the non encrypted and encrypted channels.

It took two appointments, but they finally got it right. I was pretty put off by the whole experience initially, but am very happy now. The TivoHD is really nice with an M-Card.

Charter needs to train their people properly and stop relying so much on contractors who hardly know the technology let alone the English language. If there was competition in cable, things would be so different. Monopolies suck!

Last edited by FROD : 01-23-2008 at 10:45 AM.
FROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #832
ethicalpaul

Tally so far:
Tech visits: 1 actual charter employee. A kid who tossed aside the tivo instructions and was rebooting my tivo when I arrived (my wife let him in before I got home. She was beaten for this transgression). That was a joke, it was actually electric shock.

The kid had done 1 or 2 installs into tivos and was not scared of tivos, yet he was fumbling around the menus not really doing anything other than waiting for it to reboot and talking with his cable buddies on his cell. He would call into charter every so often to try to get things going, but in the end I let him go figuring I could find someone at charter to finish the setup.

That turned out to be wrong, I've been on the phone 4 or 5 times to support to try to get someone to make things work. No dice. This morning I actually had 2 channels working but no idea why just those 2.

This morning's CSR seemed clueless but did give me some hope when she said "hmm, why is it set up like this?" but nothing came of it.

So a second tech is coming today bringing with him another card and supposedly some knowledge. My hatred for Charter has definitely gone up somewhat during this process which is a little difficult for even me to believe.
ethicalpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #833
MasterCephus

You would think that Charter has some type of monthly or quarterly meetings with all it's employees where they could bring in a HD Tivo, get out cable cards and do an install to show them how to do it.

It would really take about one hour and would save tons in frustration by customers...

Every rep that has ever come by (except the actual guy that installed the cards) have had no idea what a Tivo is and why you put the cable cards in them...

Don't even get me started with their internet support...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(transfer almost any video to your Tivo!)

, a GUI based application to create metadata for pyTivo files
MasterCephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:43 AM   #834
FROD

**update**

Charter Communications is such a joke. Check this out...

If you have a Charter HD cable box, they charge you $3.00 HD Supplemental Fee. Just for the box.

If you have a Charter HD DVR, you get charged $11.99, or at least this is what I was charged. The HD Supplemental Fee is waived with the DVR option.

On top of this, you have an HD package that's $5.99 just to get the Cable HD stations like Discovery, ESPN, A&E and so on. This is optional and is still the case regardless of which box you have.

If you get a CableCard, you get charged $1.50 for each card and they tack on the $3.00 HD Supplementa Fee. Cable card ends up costing $4.50 a month.

WHAT A RIP!!! Monopoly's suck, I tell you, MONOPOLY SUCK!!!
FROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #835
dizziness

Success in Saginaw, MI 48601

I had another clueless contractor come out today. I gave him the Tivo CableCard setup guide printout to help him along. He couldn't manage the Tivo remote so I aided him with that. I had to argue with him and the reps on the phone that I needed only one M-Card for the TivoHD.

He probably wouldn't have been too bad if it hadn't taken three service reps on the phone to finally recognize that:

1) The analog trap has to be removed if you are a locals-only subscriber and

2) They needed to enter the Model number in their records and

3) The card is not activated and hence no channels until they close the order in their system.

So there you have it. I hope this benefits someone's install.
dizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #836
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziness View Post
3) The card is not activated and hence no channels until they close the order in their system.
The first install, I had this issue. The rep couldn't figure out why it didn't activate, then she closed the screen, and it was magic. The other 2 installs, I had no issues with this as I think the person on the phone knew the screen had to be closed out.

I have heard reports of users being told it might take another hour or 24 hours to work. If anyone is told this, then they need to be wary of how knowledgeable the rep is.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #837
jeepintivo

Success in Newtown, CT

I got my HD Tivo (TCD652160) yesterday from Amazon and got it setup. it came a day later than I planned so Charter was actually out yesterday with the cable card but I wasn't ready for them. They came back out first thing this morning and got it all setup. They stuck around while I went back through guided setup to make sure I got all the new channels. This can take awhile to get the new Tivo guide data since it goes from 99 channels to 999 channels of stuff.

They brought me a multicard the first time and the installer even joked that customers turn him away anytime he tries to bring out single stream cards so he never does.

I also picked up a Philips MANT940 antenna because Charter doesn't have HD ABC and even just laying in my eastern facing window to seems to pick up ABC in New Haven OK. once I get it mounted outside I think it should do a good job of picking up some of the other high def locals without a huge antenna to deal with.

The installer I worked with said most of the installers have now done a few Tivo's so hopefully installs are easier for people now than at the beginning of this thread.
jeepintivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:56 AM   #838
tpayne37664

charter tech's need schooling on charter tech

ok, I got a visit on a thursday by charter techie to install my mstream sci atlanta card, said "it'll take an hour or so to download premium channels" and left. 12 hours later getting local hd and flix (period). called tech line techie came back on monday with 1 mclass card same thing as far as results he called everyone in his phones address book and shrugged and left with promise of being back next day. next day no show. so i decide screw it and try to get the thing working myself. take card out reinsert soft boot (through menu restart) call charters 800# and ask them to resend authorization signal and viola. it works still am missing a few channels but i never watch any of them except the 1 cinemax channel. apparently the local guys don't know how the authorization setup works. go figure
tpayne37664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #839
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpayne37664 View Post
ok, I got a visit on a thursday by charter techie to install my mstream sci atlanta card, said "it'll take an hour or so to download premium channels" and left.

Just another instance of where you DO NOT let them leave after installing the CableCard(s). Remember you do not have to run Guided Setup immediately after installing them. Go to the CableCard Diagnostics screen and you can test your channels. It rarely takes longer than a few minutes before your will get your premium channels if the authorization is done right. If they do leave before you are receiving all your channels you may as well call Charter back up to schedule another appointment.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #840
JetPilot84

Well I'm in the same crappy Charter boat. I called to set up install from 5-7. The called at 4:30 to confirm and I was somewhat relieved until the actual installer called and I asked him what kind of cards he was bringing and he had no idea but that he was only bringing one card even though the CS rep said I ordered 2 and it was on the paperwork. Then he told me that Charter doesn't install in Tivos and that they don't support it whatsoever with the normal cable line of how I won't have any on-screen guide, or DVR without their crap moto box (oh no not that ). I told him to come anyway and we will sort it out. He reluctantly agreed then told me he had to call CS to confirm. A very helpful CS guy called me back 20 min later to say he canceled my appt because the contractors that were coming out didn't know what they were dealing with and he rescheduled me an appt with an actual Charter service tech for two days from now. He then admitted to me that the cable company doesn't actually want to give anyone CableCARDS (duh, how could helping the customer be good for them) but the evil FCC is forcing them, too. lol. So, hopefully the new tech will be able to hook me up with no hassles. Although I doubt that...
JetPilot84 is offline   Reply With Quote