TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #781
Mamoth

Finally... Success!

I had a tech out one week ago to install the CableCARDs in my Series 3 (not TiVo HD). They really didn't follow the directions all that closely, but, the CableCARDs seemed to come up because I was able to view the "in the clear" or "unencrypted" HD channels (which I wasn't able to get without the CableCARDs) so I thought everything was good to go.

About 1 day later I wanted to get the other Tier of HD (which includes ESPNHD and such so I could watch College Basketball). I went ahead and ordered it. But, it never showed up.

I went ahead and went into Conditional Access (something I should have done in the first place). I had:

Auth: MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY

Not good. After about 5 phone calls to Charter, they were unable to do anything for me and finally sent a tech out.

Before he got there, I wanted to get TiVo's take on the whole thing. I gave them all the information off of this screen:

TiVo Conditional Access Screen for my TiVo

I gave the TiVo tech all that info and he said that everything on the card looks great. However, the MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY was an issue. Which is what I figured. He advised me to tell the tech, "Do not refresh the card, initialize the card like it's a brand new card." He also gave me the phone number for the direct line to the CableCARD support.

The tech arrived today and he was very nice. He said he wasn't sure about the TiVos but he was willing to learn for the next time he has to do one. So that was a good sign (that he was willing to dig into it a bit).

I showed him what the problem was, I told him what the TiVo techs told me, I showed him all the CableCARD screens on the TiVo. I made it clear that this was not an issue with the TiVo (as I didn't want him to leave blaming TiVo for the issues) and he was welcome to talk to TiVo to verify that.

He called in to verify all the information in the system was right. He gave no information to the person on the phone. The person on the phone repeated back all the pairing information to the tech and it was all correct. He asked the person on the phone to send a signal to the cards to get them going.

We got nothing. After waiting about a minute or so... he asked to reboot the TiVo. So we did (unplugged it and waiting 30 seconds and plugged it back in).

CableCARD 1 came up with the same error. The second CableCARD came up with "Auth: unknown" (we waited 10 minutes to see if it would refresh, but it never changed).

He called back to the folks he talks to and to verify things. I asked him before he left what he did here and he explained it as such: He (the person on the phone) refresh all occurances on the account. The occurances need to be in the right order. As he was on the phone, the good ole "161-4 error" popped but for CableCARD 1. About 10 seconds later "161-4 error" came up for CableCARD 2. I thought, "SCORE!" and told him those errors were actually a good sign.

We went to the CableCARD menu and went to Conditional Access again. But both cards said, "Auth: unknown". It was a short victory (or so I thought). The "unknown" status stayed for about 10 min so we figured it wasn't going to refresh on it's own.

He called again to another tech and asked if he had any input. He said that we'll reboot the TiVo and see what happens. So, again, I unplugged the TiVo and let it boot up.

I looked at CableCARD 1 and it was in "unknown" status still. I went to "Test Channels" on that card, moved to the HD tier I paid for that wasn't coming in, and, holy cow, I had a picture. I went to the "Conditional Access" and, it finally said, "SUBSCRIBED".

CableCARD 2 did the same thing. After CableCARD 1 was working, I went to "Conditional Access" and it was in "unknown" status. So I went to "Test Channels" and went to a channel in the HD tier again. And, there was picture! I went back to CableCARD 2's "Conditional Access" and it finally said "SUBSCRIBED"!

SUCCESS!!!!!

The only downfall from all this is that I wanted to verify I would be able to get PPV. But that was a no go. I asked the tech to stick around to see if I could get one. But no one could do it. I called the main Charter number to just order a movie, and they said they could not do it (and, btw, before today, I was told I could get them.. so I'm not sure if something changed on my account).

Seems to me, the biggest hurdle is to get the cable company to get things right on their end. I had all the docs ready for the tech, serial numbers, notes from this web page and TiVo support.

I want to thank Rob (Tech # 4022) in the Midland, MI area for his patience. He was here for about 1.5 hours and never gave the impression he was rushed.

Last edited by Mamoth : 11-16-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Mamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #782
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamoth View Post
I looked at CableCARD 1 and it was in "unknown" status still. I went to "Test Channels" on that card, moved to the HD tier I paid for that wasn't coming in, and, holy cow, I had a picture. I went to the "Conditional Access" and, it finally said, "SUBSCRIBED".
This field is only valid when you're tuned to a digital cable channel (i.e. when the tivo box has asked the card to decrypt something), and it specific to that channel. So, that's why it never changed until you went into test channels.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #783
xena

Am experiencing difficulties on my install with Charter in Altadena....please if you know any contacts let me know....thanks
xena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #784
Innkeeper

Success

I have been watchingt this thread with the utmost interest since I just purchased a HD unit and have Charter for my provider. Needless to say I was very nervious that something was going to go wrong but I have to say that Yesterday when the tech showed up I was put to ease when he said how much he likes TIVO and that he had installed a few of them with cable cards already. Needless to say all went very smooth and he stuck around just to make sure all was working properly b4 he left. I know this doesnt help some of you that are having issues but it does tell you that there is hope...hang in there.

And Thanks to all of the folks that posted there experiences on the thread, it was very helpful to know what could happen and be prepared for it.
Innkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:48 PM   #785
TSuellentrop

Picked up a TiVo HD tonight and chatted with a Charter (St. Peters, MO) Rep. and asked if they had Multistream Cards. They said yes. I said "I'll take one", they say "We've got none". They say they are out of stock and don't know when they will get more in. They put me on a "contact list" which I'm sure just meant the rep wrote my name on a piece of paper and thumbtacked it to his cubicle wall. Has anyone else ran into "out of stock" problems?
TSuellentrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #786
Mamoth

Weird. My area has the M-Cards and the guy was ready to put one in my TiVo if the two S-Cards didn't work (course, I have a Series 3, so that wouldn't have worked, but the fact is.. he was ready to do it).
Mamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #787
MondayNgt

I'm in St. Charles, MO with the same Charter provider as TSullentrop and they do indeed have M-cards. The first installer brought two M-cards while the second installer brought 4 M-cards. Which brings me to my whole debacle.

When I moved into my townhouse here, my landlord gave me information on a Charter installer that specifically does this complex and I could get quicker service through them. I called him and he said he could be out the next day. The next day comes and he phones and says that the warehouse is out of them and would call back on Tuesday when they got them in. (Thanks for telling me this after I've taken off work already.) He also said they had M-cards.

Tuesday rolls around and no call. I phone him back and he says he'll call tomorrow with the answer. No call.

I got fed up and did what I should have done in the first place, call the company directly. The operator said they had them in stock but they only had the single stream cards. Fine, whatever....just put them in. Unfortunately they could only get someone out here on the day after Thanksgiving due to the holiday rush. That would be another week.

So the installer came this morning. Surprise, surprise, he was holding M-cards. (Never ceases to amaze me how you get five different answers with five different people at Charter.)

I handed him the directions, but he just put them to the side and kept doing everything wrong, like validating the cable card while the cable was unplugged and running through the Tivo Guided Setup (not necessary when just trying to get a signal). Three hours later, there was a knock on my door and it was a second guy that the installer had called in. The installer said that this guy would be taking over.

Which was good, he was a younger guy roughly my age and the fact that we were chatting about video game systems and geeky thing suggested that he knew his stuff. He didn't use the instructions but he navigated around the Tivo like a pro and did everything in order, apparently having done this before. Within an hour, I was getting in my channels but Charter didn't specify I was getting the HDTV tier (which I discussed with the friggin' operator). The installer just called it in and I was good.

With a few exception. Oddly I cannot receive my regular FOX 2 channel. This doesn't bother me as I get in the digital Fox 2 channel just fine in the HD tier. The installer was very baffled over this as every other channel was coming in fine.

Also there is an oddity on the channels I'm not supposed to receive, the picture is coming in, but with no audio. This was the case with the HD channels until the installer phoned in the order to activate those channels, and then the audio came through fine. So I get somewhat of a bonus, I suppose if I was really desperate to watch something on those channels I could use closed captioning

He also mentioned that my signal was low.....basically my complex is using older cables that they are trying to upgrade and get rid of, but I'd need to get the landlords permission as they need to go through five other people's basement to get it to the box. Hopefully they will not need to do this...so far my Tivo and my internet is working fine aside from the quirks in the last paragraph.

Update: My Fox 2 is coming in now, weird.

Last edited by MondayNgt : 11-23-2007 at 04:03 PM.
MondayNgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #788
TSuellentrop

I had an appointment for a Charter Rep to come by the 3rd since that was the earliest they could come by and install a M-Card and it would cost a 1 time install fee of $30. After reading the instructions that came with the TiVoHD I believe I can install them myself and just call them when the time comes like it says. I called Charter and they say I can come by and get them tomorrow when they are open. If I follow the directions from TiVo is there anything to look out for to make sure it goes smooth? From what I understand I just need to tell them the serial numbers and some numbers on the screen once I get there? Right?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #789
mentat30
Mentat30

Another story about a bad install

I will start from beginning, I ordered a Tivo HD "My fifth Tivo" and setup an appointment with Charter for Tuesday November 20, 2007, between 3pm and 5pm, I leave work early so I can be there at 3pm. Cable tech shows up at 4:15, says he has never installed cable card, he has two Multi Stream Motorola cards, puts the first one in, calls in the pairing information, it wonít pair. So he puts the 2nd one in, same problem, wonít pair. He says the tech on the phone says it sometimes takes an hour, and he leaves.
Hour later cable card worksÖ..kind of, I can watch unencrypted channels, but I canít watch encrypted channels. So I call Charter, tech hits the card and says it may take up to eight hours to take effect. Next day same problem yet, so I call them again, tech hits again with signal. Still does not fix it, so now the schedule another tech for Friday November 23, 2007, says she will have the Cable tech bring several cards. Once again it is scheduled between 3pm and 5pm. So once again I take off from work early so I can be home. Tech shows up at 4pm, says he has never install a cable card in a Tivo, he has done several TVs, but not all of those worked either. He only has one card, says no one told him to bring more then one. He puts the new card in and calls in number, it does not work, he has them hit with signal again still nothing. He says he lives here in Waupaca and he come back on Monday with several cards at 4:30pm, but he needs to setup an appointment for Tuesday, just in case he canít make it on Monday. So he sets up an appointment for Tuesday once again for 3pm 5pm. I call Charter tech support over the weekend; I talked to a tech in the Video Repair dept. He says the card was not provisioned and he canít do it from where he is at, that the tech needs to do it because it needs to be done at the headend. He tells me to tell the Tech that I talked to him and that the card needs to be provisioned. Monday rolls around, no tech, Today is my official appointment, so once again I leave work early so I can be home. Cable Tech shows up at 4:15pm, not the one from last Friday a different guy, he does not have any cable cards, says he was not told he needed one and even if they had the office in town is out of them. He says he also has not installed a cable card in a Tivo, he has done TVís and says some of those donít work either. I mention that maybe the TVís need a single stream card, he says he does not know, I ask him if they were M-cards or S-cards. He says he just uses the cable cards that they use everywhere. I tell him that they have two different cards, I know this because I have a charter s-card in my TV and the one in my Tivo is an M-card, he says, I donít know I just install what the office gives me and adds that he knows nothing about Cable Cards. I also tell him what the Charter Tech from the video repair department said about provisioning the card, he says he does not know what that means, but he will try to pair the card again. He calls a tech on the phone and he tires to pair the card again, the tech on the phone does not want to do it, but the tech in my house insists, now I am thinking great we might be getting somewhere, he also verifies the cable card serial number, host id, and data id with the tech on the phone, turns out the data id was wrong. The tech on the phone hits the card with signal again and I am thinking great this is it, itís going to work, we restart the Tivo, and nothing, and the cable card still does not work. The cable tech at my house says he needs to setup another appointment for tomorrow and that he will pick up some cable cards from Clintonville. I suggest he brings three cards, an M-card and two S-cards. He says he will see what he can do. After he leaves I call charter tech support and I get the Video repair department, I tell the tech on the phone my whole story, he says there is nothing he can do. I tell him this is crazy, they keep repeating the same steps and expect different results, I tell him I want this solved; he puts me on hold and says they are going to send a tech tomorrow who has a lot of experience installing cable cards and that he will bring a new card that has been provisioned. So tomorrow I will leave work for the 4th time early so that I can be home by 3pm for the appointment. I will update this tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes.
mentat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #790
rainwater

At this point you should call the TiVo CableCard number and let them work with Charter. It is doubtful the cards are defective but more likely there is an issue with your account. Are you sure they have provisioned you for the HD Tier? The Charter CSRs are a bunch of idiots some times and don't even realize they haven't added the correct packages to your account. Do you not even get the locals in HD? If you get those and not the others, it is likely they haven't added the correct HD Tier to your account (I forget what they call it but the tier usually contains ESPN HD, TNT HD, etc).
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 AM   #791
mentat30
Mentat30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
At this point you should call the TiVo CableCard number and let them work with Charter. It is doubtful the cards are defective but more likely there is an issue with your account. Are you sure they have provisioned you for the HD Tier? The Charter CSRs are a bunch of idiots some times and don't even realize they haven't added the correct packages to your account. Do you not even get the locals in HD? If you get those and not the others, it is likely they haven't added the correct HD Tier to your account (I forget what they call it but the tier usually contains ESPN HD, TNT HD, etc).
I already have a cable card on my tv and I recieve all the channels there, but you just gave me an idea, i am going to ask them to balance my account.
IE: Card in TV is has the HDTier on it, Card in Tivo may not.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #792
mentat30
Mentat30

Thumbs up

Good News! Cable guy from Tuesday came today with a handful of S-cards, he pulled the M-Card, put the first S-card in, called in the pairing and it worked, he then put in the second S-card, called in the pairing and it worked.

I gotta say I was impressed, after leaveing yesterday the Cable Installer went home went online and checked out both this site and Tivo.com so that he could gain some insight on how to resolve the problem.

So if you are having problems with your card install and they are using M-Cards, have them try S-Cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentat30 View Post
I will start from beginning, I ordered a Tivo HD "My fifth Tivo" and setup an appointment with Charter for Tuesday November 20, 2007, between 3pm and 5pm, I leave work early so I can be there at 3pm. Cable tech shows up at 4:15, says he has never installed cable card, he has two Multi Stream Motorola cards, puts the first one in, calls in the pairing information, it won’t pair. So he puts the 2nd one in, same problem, won’t pair. He says the tech on the phone says it sometimes takes an hour, and he leaves.
Hour later cable card works…..kind of, I can watch unencrypted channels, but I can’t watch encrypted channels. So I call Charter, tech hits the card and says it may take up to eight hours to take effect. Next day same problem yet, so I call them again, tech hits again with signal. Still does not fix it, so now the schedule another tech for Friday November 23, 2007, says she will have the Cable tech bring several cards. Once again it is scheduled between 3pm and 5pm. So once again I take off from work early so I can be home. Tech shows up at 4pm, says he has never install a cable card in a Tivo, he has done several TVs, but not all of those worked either. He only has one card, says no one told him to bring more then one. He puts the new card in and calls in number, it does not work, he has them hit with signal again still nothing. He says he lives here in Waupaca and he come back on Monday with several cards at 4:30pm, but he needs to setup an appointment for Tuesday, just in case he can’t make it on Monday. So he sets up an appointment for Tuesday once again for 3pm 5pm. I call Charter tech support over the weekend; I talked to a tech in the Video Repair dept. He says the card was not provisioned and he can’t do it from where he is at, that the tech needs to do it because it needs to be done at the headend. He tells me to tell the Tech that I talked to him and that the card needs to be provisioned. Monday rolls around, no tech, Today is my official appointment, so once again I leave work early so I can be home. Cable Tech shows up at 4:15pm, not the one from last Friday a different guy, he does not have any cable cards, says he was not told he needed one and even if they had the office in town is out of them. He says he also has not installed a cable card in a Tivo, he has done TV’s and says some of those don’t work either. I mention that maybe the TV’s need a single stream card, he says he does not know, I ask him if they were M-cards or S-cards. He says he just uses the cable cards that they use everywhere. I tell him that they have two different cards, I know this because I have a charter s-card in my TV and the one in my Tivo is an M-card, he says, I don’t know I just install what the office gives me and adds that he knows nothing about Cable Cards. I also tell him what the Charter Tech from the video repair department said about provisioning the card, he says he does not know what that means, but he will try to pair the card again. He calls a tech on the phone and he tires to pair the card again, the tech on the phone does not want to do it, but the tech in my house insists, now I am thinking great we might be getting somewhere, he also verifies the cable card serial number, host id, and data id with the tech on the phone, turns out the data id was wrong. The tech on the phone hits the card with signal again and I am thinking great this is it, it’s going to work, we restart the Tivo, and nothing, and the cable card still does not work. The cable tech at my house says he needs to setup another appointment for tomorrow and that he will pick up some cable cards from Clintonville. I suggest he brings three cards, an M-card and two S-cards. He says he will see what he can do. After he leaves I call charter tech support and I get the Video repair department, I tell the tech on the phone my whole story, he says there is nothing he can do. I tell him this is crazy, they keep repeating the same steps and expect different results, I tell him I want this solved; he puts me on hold and says they are going to send a tech tomorrow who has a lot of experience installing cable cards and that he will bring a new card that has been provisioned. So tomorrow I will leave work for the 4th time early so that I can be home by 3pm for the appointment. I will update this tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes.

Last edited by mentat30 : 11-28-2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 AM   #793
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentat30 View Post
Good News! Cable guy from Tuesday came today with a handful of S-cards, he pulled the M-Card, put the first S-card in, called in the pairing and it worked, he then put in the second S-card, called in the pairing and it worked.

I gotta say I was impressed, after leaveing yesterday the Cable Installer went home went online and checked out both this site and Tivo.com so that he could gain some insight on how to resolve the problem.

So if you are having problems with your card install and they are using M-Cards, have them try S-Cards.

It sounds like the M-Cards might not of been registered in their own system. Where I live Charter, doesn't do pairing. They just authorize the cards by the serial number. All the other information they get from the installer isn't used afaik. M-cards should work fine with Charter and I believe there are several people who are using them now. Hopefully, the tech in your area can figure out the problem.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #794
MondayNgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSuellentrop View Post
I had an appointment for a Charter Rep to come by the 3rd since that was the earliest they could come by and install a M-Card and it would cost a 1 time install fee of $30. After reading the instructions that came with the TiVoHD I believe I can install them myself and just call them when the time comes like it says. I called Charter and they say I can come by and get them tomorrow when they are open. If I follow the directions from TiVo is there anything to look out for to make sure it goes smooth? From what I understand I just need to tell them the serial numbers and some numbers on the screen once I get there? Right?
Ah, then if you're thinking that, I should tell you about my previous-previous experience. The fact is that when I lived at my old apartment before my current one, I had tried to get cablecards for the HD Tivo. I called Charter and like they said to you, they said I could pick them up and install myself. I was sent to the office in City Hall in St. Charles which turned out to be just a billing and payment office. The office woman rudely told me that cable cards have to be installed by the installer and she didn't have an answer as to why Charter said otherwise over the phone.

I immediately phoned up Charter on my cell phone outside her office (as she locked up) and they said again that I could indeed pick up cards and do my own install, but I had to go to the main office in St. Peters off Jungerman. Surprise surprise, when I got there the women at the desk said that an installer had to do it. I phoned up Charter again and they parroted what the office had just said. I ended up being so furious over the matter that I told them to go F* themselves, cancelled my cable install and just used OTA TV, at least until I moved into my new place and had no other choice but to get cable (poor reception and not facing the right direction for dishes).

Once again, Charter gives five different answers for the same question (I even asked the operator why this was on the phone). God, I wish someone decent would just buy them out.

If they actually let you do your own install, I'll definitely be interested to hear that.
MondayNgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #795
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayNgt View Post
If they actually let you do your own install, I'll definitely be interested to hear that.
Since Charter installers have ZERO knowledge of how to troubleshoot a CableCard install, I do not know what the point of them being there is. The big issue with CableCard installs from Charter is if the installer gets the right person on the phone when they call to authorize the cards. From my experience, if they get the right person, then there is not usually an issue. But I guess it would be too much trouble to let users read some numbers over the phone.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #796
TSuellentrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
But I guess it would be too much trouble to let users read some numbers over the phone.
Of course I get there and they say I can't do it so I have an appointment Saturday. I knew if I did it myself I would just be reading #s off the screen and it's ridiculous to have to pay $35 (It was $30 when I had the first appointment scheduled. Weird) and wait a week for a tech to "read".
Old 12-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #797
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I have Charter Cable in Atlanta, GA and have an appointment scheduled for Tuesday December 11. Hopefully all will go smooth. When I told them on the phone I needed to have two Cablecards installed they asked me if it was for a Tivo HD. So maybe they've done enough to where it will not be a problem. I'll have my fingers crossed!!
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #798
CharterTechAL
Charter Technician

guys i've installed cable cards into tv's about 5 times inthe last 2 months. EVERYONE has worked when i left. the longest took 2 hours only cause we couldn't get the tivo to recognize the wireless internet. any changes made into the billing system will take place IMMEDIATELY not XXX hours later. 100% of the problems installing them have been on the billing/provisioning side. it's usually the settings in CSG and CEON (programs they use for billing and setting up provisions in my area.. i'm not sure if all areas use the same system) are not matched correctly/correct codes

i did run a trouble call with a cable card that i couldn't fix, but i'm gonna be back out there with a new card first thing in the AM... funny thing is they're NOT using a tivo yet, just a cable card in a tv.... it's freezing up for about 10secs every few minutes

i hope this can help some
CharterTechAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #799
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterTechAL View Post
guys i've installed cable cards into tv's about 5 times inthe last 2 months. EVERYONE has worked when i left. the longest took 2 hours only cause we couldn't get the tivo to recognize the wireless internet. any changes made into the billing system will take place IMMEDIATELY not XXX hours later. 100% of the problems installing them have been on the billing/provisioning side. it's usually the settings in CSG and CEON (programs they use for billing and setting up provisions in my area.. i'm not sure if all areas use the same system) are not matched correctly/correct codes

i did run a trouble call with a cable card that i couldn't fix, but i'm gonna be back out there with a new card first thing in the AM... funny thing is they're NOT using a tivo yet, just a cable card in a tv.... it's freezing up for about 10secs every few minutes

i hope this can help some
I'm having a somewhat bad experience with my Charter CableCard install. They came and put in an M-Card Tuesday evening. I got my local HD channels but nothing else. I called and talked with 2 people and they verified the account was provisioned correctly. They made an appointment for someone to come out on Wednesday evening. Guy showed up with only one S-Card. The system did not show it was a Tivo CableCard issue and he had only grabbed one card. He called Charter again and reverified that the account was provisioned correctly. So now they have made another appointment for this evening. I guess we'll see how it goes.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #800
dr.greghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharterTechAL View Post
guys i've installed cable cards into tv's about 5 times inthe last 2 months. EVERYONE has worked when i left...
Hey CharterTechAL,

I'm a charter(biggest package w/HD) subscriber near huntsville, al. Hartselle is the billing location. I'm getting all of my channels except STARZ-HD and GOLFVS-HD through my cableCARD. Do you know what would cause this? I've attached my cableCARD screen shots in case this helps.

Thank You for your time.

info:
Tivo Series 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4857s.JPG (37.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4860ss.JPG (37.4 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by dr.greghouse : 12-17-2007 at 09:13 AM. Reason: More info.
dr.greghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #801
adventurelarry

Please ignore, I just saw this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=377786

Thanks

I searched and could not find anything on this.

I have two cable cards, and on my bill from Charter I get charged for the cards, 1.50 each. That is fine. I also get charge 7.99 for the HD package. That is also fine. I also get charge 3.00 for an HD Receiver supplement. That seems odd since I do not use an HD receiver, just the cable cards. I called and they said they have to charge the supplement since I get HD channels. I thought that is what I paid 7.99 for.....

Anyone else run into this? Have you been able to get this removed from your bill and keep your HD channels? (I was told this was not possible)

--Larry

Last edited by adventurelarry : 12-17-2007 at 10:21 AM.
adventurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #802
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurelarry View Post
Please ignore, I just saw this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=377786

Thanks

I have two cable cards, and on my bill from Charter I get charged for the cards, 1.50 each. That is fine. I also get charge 7.99 for the HD package. That is also fine. I also get charge 3.00 for an HD Receiver supplement. That seems odd since I do not use an HD receiver, just the cable cards. I called and they said they have to charge the supplement since I get HD channels. I thought that is what I paid 7.99 for.....

Anyone else run into this? Have you been able to get this removed from your bill and keep your HD channels? (I was told this was not possible)
Every cable franchise is a bit different. In your case here, I suspect you're seeing something we saw a lot more of when the S3 was first being introduced: their accounting system is not set up right. The reps could be correct in saying that if they take the HD Receiver supplement off, you won't get HD. But that's the cable company's fault for not fixing their accounting system.

If this is the case, the right way to approach them is to just ask for a $3 credit per month until they get their accounting system fixed. You definitely should not be getting charged for an HD receiver supplement.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #803
TMTBoomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.greghouse View Post
Hey CharterTechAL,

I'm a charter(biggest package w/HD) subscriber near huntsville, al. Hartselle is the billing location. I'm getting all of my channels except STARZ-HD and GOLFVS-HD through my cableCARD. Do you know what would cause this? I've attached my cableCARD screen shots in case this helps.

Thank You for your time.

info:
Tivo Series 3.
Both cards are showing "waiting for cp auth" this is an issue. You will need to verify that the cards are bound properly in the DNCS. Host ID(s) and Card id(s) need to match. You didn't swap the cards, did you? If you can get someone on the phone that has access to the administrator (maybe CharterTechAL can help get you in touch with the right person) for the controller in your area, have them check the host table and make sure the host and card id(s) match and that they are bound and not un-bound. You can also try a simple reboot of the TIVO and see if that helps.

Don't worry about the ECM's at this point. that will only increase when you are on an encrypted channel.
TMTBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #804
dr.greghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTBoomer View Post
Both cards are showing "waiting for cp auth" this is an issue. You will need to verify that the cards are bound properly in the DNCS. Host ID(s) and Card id(s) need to match. You didn't swap the cards, did you? If you can get someone on the phone that has access to the administrator (maybe CharterTechAL can help get you in touch with the right person) for the controller in your area, have them check the host table and make sure the host and card id(s) match and that they are bound and not un-bound. You can also try a simple reboot of the TIVO and see if that helps.

Don't worry about the ECM's at this point. that will only increase when you are on an encrypted channel.
Thanks for replying. I haven't swapped cards. I've confirmed with the CSRs that the numbers are correct. They sent many hits, but the screen still shows what it shows. I'm getting many encrypted channels. But just 2 missing. I'm confused as to how i'm getting any encrypted channels at all since it is "waiting for cp auth". I wish there was more tehnical info on cableCARDs. These things are like black holes, unless you're the engineer that designed them.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:47 PM   #805
TMTBoomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.greghouse View Post
Thanks for replying. I haven't swapped cards. I've confirmed with the CSRs that the numbers are correct. They sent many hits, but the screen still shows what it shows. I'm getting many encrypted channels. But just 2 missing. I'm confused as to how i'm getting any encrypted channels at all since it is "waiting for cp auth". I wish there was more tehnical info on cableCARDs. These things are like black holes, unless you're the engineer that designed them.
Unless the CSR has access to the DNCS (controller), he/she was just reading off the billing records (and those could be wrong also). You will probably start noticing more channels dropping off as time goes on. The best thing at this point is to get a technician out and see if he can contact the Headend directly and work with them.

Good luck.
TMTBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #806
dr.greghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTBoomer View Post
Unless the CSR has access to the DNCS (controller), he/she was just reading off the billing records (and those could be wrong also). You will probably start noticing more channels dropping off as time goes on. The best thing at this point is to get a technician out and see if he can contact the Headend directly and work with them.

Good luck.
Thanks!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #807
jdmass

Amazing! A painless Charter Install!

In the early stages of this thread over a year ago, I recounted my frustrating experiences dealing with Charter to get 2 cablecards working with my Series 3.

Well, I just added a new Tivo HD and, in the interest of fairness, I must report that this time around the Cablecard installation could not have gone easier.

First, learning from my previous experience, when I scheduled the service call, I requested a Charter employee -- not a subcontractor (this at least increases the odds that you'll get someone competent). Also when setting up the call I simply requested 2 cable cards (not wanting to get into an S- versus M-card discussion with someone clueless on the phone).

When the installer, Ryan, showed up, he had 2 M-cards. He knew about Tivos and agreed that only 1 card was needed. He said that in his experience the failure rate with M-cards was much lower than S-cards.

He copied down the ID info, popped in the card, called the billing office and gave them the appropriate info, and then called the head end to enable the card. Other than waiting on hold for the head end guys to do their thing to enable premium channels, there wasn't much else involved.

We immediately were able to receive in-the-clear HD channels and after 5 minutes on hold, all of the premium channels showed up.

Overall, he was out in about 15 minutes with everything tested and functioning (I also checked my S3 to make sure that its authorization didn't get fouled up in the process).

Given my prior experiences with Charter, I'm still amazed that it worked out this way. Maybe there's hope for others too!
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #808
djfiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurelarry View Post

Thanks

--Larry

I am getting charged this also. I even went down to my local office and they tell me I have to pay the HD Receiver supplement charge to get the HD channels. I call bull on that. The CABLE CARD tells the Tivo what channels to get!. So I have to pay $2 each for my S Cards...$8 for HD package, and another $5 (yes, it's 5 in my area) for the supplement.
djfiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #809
Wetsprocket625
TiVo Newb

Charter Cablecard

Just got my cablecard installed today. What a mess. I waited a week so they could get a tech to my house. He had never installed one. He stayed on the phone with 2 people for close to 2 hours trying to get the card recognized. Finally came to me and said their end is not seeing the card. Must be a problem with the TiVo. It must not be compatible. Thank you have a nice day. I hinted toward the tech, "Can you leave the card for a few hours and drop back by when you are done with your other calls." He reluctantly did so.

Tried text support. The guy was very short but at least polite. Said nothing he could do except set up another tech visit. And if my "machine" was not compatible there was nothing they could do.

Very frustrated I gave phone support a try. I must have rolled a 7 or 11 this time. Nice sounding female, anyway, she took my info and had me going in a few minutes.

It's like the people the tech talked to didn't even try.

Then he tried to push the Moxi on me. I called before I got the TiVoHD to see if they had an HDDVR and they said no. Local levels seem clueless.
Wetsprocket625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #810
Rickvz
TiVoholic

I had a card installed on Thursday. The tech arrived early and was about to leave when my wife arrived. He had never installed a card and ran the guided setup after installing the card. My wife called me to ask about the wireless network password. I told her the information and said I would come on home and be there in 15 minutes. When I got home the tech had left and told my wife that it would take 30-45 minutes for the card to get the channels.

The Acquiring Channels screen stayed up for a while and then said it had failed. I checked all the TiVo help pages and here and although the card said it was Validated it still would not pick up the channel map even after rebooting.

I called Charter a couple of times and they tried resending the initialization signals but there was no change. Each person I spoke too said they saw something that was set up wrong but no changes they made helped. One even had me try it in the second cable card slot which resulted in changing the Data ID. They set up an appointment for this morning.

The tech that came today also had never installed a card but spoke with a buddy on the phone that has installed them. The buddy told him to talk to Margaret when he called in to get it activated. She seemed to know quite a bit more and after working for a bit we got the Channel Test to show the channel numbers but there was a black screen and no video. After rebooting we saw video and everything seemed to work fine.

The tech left and gave me his number and said to call back if there was any problem later today with channels not showing. I ran guided setup and the channels showed up fine.

My only concern at this point is that the Diagnostic screens still don't show the cablecard as validated. I also had to reboot the TiVo and it now says No Channels in the Channel Test although I can tune to any of them using the guide.

A Charter employee called me a few minutes ago asking questions about the installation and wrote down these problems and said to call back if the channels disappeared so I guess now we wait and see.
Rickvz is offline   Reply With Quote